Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I predict Khateps start is going to be fairly unfun until the Norsca fix. Though I suppose you could play full wanderer mode and focus on hunting the books. Just ignore the endless barbarian spam up north.

South Lustria is going to be such a goddamn knife-fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Someone posted this old Dark Elf image on reddit and man, the lady on the right is all I want out of Hellebron :allears:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh look the mighty mark of Khaine displayed in all its splendour as well on the lady on the right.

Yepp.

Mhm.

MHM

YEPP

ITS HIM, ALWAYS WAS, ALWAYS WILL BE, ASININE MORTALS

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The tomb kings had a lot of foresight to decorate everything they built with giant skulls before they all became skellymens.

Well they did spend like a millennium or two obsessed with the singularity

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Panfilo posted:

Even with friendly fire it is still worth it, and it isn't hard to have a single lord or hero tie up 2 or 3 units that are getting pounded by Mortar fire.

Plus, with Gelt your basic dudes have over 50 armor so vs chaff that mayyyybe has 30 at best it trades favorably as the enemies are taking far more damage.

The Mortar ranks up quickly too, which improves its rate of fire and accuracy.

Hm, ok. How do you get so many enemy units tied up on a single hero? I've been afraid to run my heroes in front of my line because whenever the enemy lords do that I just fill them with projectiles and they die real fast.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Gejnor posted:

Oh look the mighty mark of Khaine displayed in all its splendour as well on the lady on the right.

Yepp.

Mhm.

MHM

YEPP

Aenarion, an elf so dumb he got tricked by *mumble*

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 15, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Mzbundifund posted:

Hm, ok. How do you get so many enemy units tied up on a single hero? I've been afraid to run my heroes in front of my line because whenever the enemy lords do that I just fill them with projectiles and they die real fast.

Typically if there are two enemy units fairly close together and you charge between them they'll clump around your guy. The ld penalty for getting hit by artillery is pretty good and you can often hit guys in both units with each shot, which demoralizes both of them. And the second one of them routs the other is sure to follow since there's a ld penalty for allies routing which causes a cascade effect.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've had Tyrion tank entire armies before, with my 6-8 units of spearmen hanging out nearby just in case. I should probably upgrade them to seaguard so they do more than sip tea as they watch..

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Running a non-melee character like an assassin or sorceress into combat and then firing Dread Conduit when they're all clumped up around the character is hilarious. It can wipe a couple of infantry units.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've had Tyrion tank entire armies before, with my 6-8 units of spearmen hanging out nearby just in case. I should probably upgrade them to seaguard so they do more than sip tea as they watch..

Wow. Do the enemy archers just not shoot at him because they're afraid of the friendly fire, or is he just that bullshit tanky?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lords typically have a good amount of armor and missile resist. Tyrion also has a shield I believe which helps. Then there's the fact that missiles are not 100% accurate so a fair number will miss, particularly if he's not on a mount and thus has a small hit box.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Wow. Do the enemy archers just not shoot at him because they're afraid of the friendly fire, or is he just that bullshit tanky?

If they aren't mounted (or monsters like throgg, durthu, etc.), they're very hard to hit in a clump

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Note that it's not really a good reason to not be mounted because at some point you're gonna get chain knocked down by monsters/other Lords/etc which is why unmounted melee monsters like Grimgor aren't actually that scary late game/in MP.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Here's a weird one: I confederated Morathi but I can't find her. She's not on my army list or in my recruitable lords.

I'm playing von carstein rn and had the opportunity to confederate VCs after they got punched in the mouth real good by a bunch of losses to the dwarfs in a single turn. Except mannfred got wounded, so I could only nab the other two. Pretty annoying, as that seems like the only time they're willing to confed is when they're losing hard.

Is there a mod that disables this "feature"?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Are there any good mods to fix the Chaos Invasion? I've found a good Norsca nerf one pending the update, but I hear the Chaos Invasion is still awful and player-targeted despite CA's claims at fixing it.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

Are there any good mods to fix the Chaos Invasion? I've found a good Norsca nerf one pending the update, but I hear the Chaos Invasion is still awful and player-targeted despite CA's claims at fixing it.

From what ive gathered this seems like a good team up of mods for that purpose:

Experimental Chaos Invasion

This turns the chaos invasion into the same one seen in Warhammer 1, based on turns rather than ones secret imperium levels. It does however reset the chaos play behaviour to target only the player and so you need the second mod.

00 No Anti Avoid Player

This minos mod removes the anti-player trait, you know that rear end in a top hat thing where the AI ignores everything and just goes straight for the player which should make the chaos invasion target everything equally, among other things.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

How do you use the mortar to really rack up kills like you describe? It seems like it gets 4-5 shots off, enough to damage but not rout a single unit of slow infantry, and then they all wad up in melee with your guys and you can't shoot at them anymore without taking a ton of friendly fire. Sure you can use it to attack archers at that point, but couldn't the Reiksguard also do that? The archers can't shoot back while attacked by cavalry, but they can while being attacked by mortars.

Other people answered it but yes, use attack ground just right behind the enemy melee as it fights and your shots will tend to land right on them. With decent positioning, you can have two or more melee units tie up more than their numerical equivalent since the enemy AI tends to blob up. Don't get carried away though, it's good enough at sending dudes at your flanks. Keep some melee units in reserve and your Lord closeby to keep morale steady. Also, I prefer to shoot back against enemy ranged units with my own, and then move to flank the enemy blobs.

Basically I'm a believer in ranged superiority, since melee units tend to kill slower than ranged units do. Hence my preference for Empire, Dwarf, and Skaven. Dwarf Lords are also one of the tankiest characters in the game; they'll tie up non-AP infantry for ridiculously long, time enough for your Irondrakes to get some serious killing in.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gejnor posted:

Yepp.

Mhm.

MHM

YEPP

all i see is a dead kennedys fan

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The tomb kings had a lot of foresight to decorate everything they built with giant skulls before they all became skellymens.

the handwave for this is that as the mortuary cult got more and more and more power the skull motifs became more and more of tomb king iconography, but yeah, mummies, gently caress it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ze Pollack posted:

the handwave for this is that as the mortuary cult got more and more and more power the skull motifs became more and more of tomb king iconography, but yeah, mummies, gently caress it

I also thought that Nagash's spell had this as a side effect. I distinctly remember it being mentioned that previously normal statue faces were replaced by leering skulls as his ultimate spell of doom swept across Khemri.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I kind of thought in Warhammer the skull was the equivalent of the square in real-world art. Just an unremarkable artistic baseline so ubiquitous as to be practically unnoticable except as a starting point around which other aesthetic embellishment could be centered.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

The AI doesn't really focus-fire targets like that. Just put them out in front and stop being a wuss.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

In this case im thinking this conversation, held by two skeletons, would just end up with two shrugs and one saying "I mean.. thats just what we are now Remoteph."

Then they would go back to standing absolutely still staring into the sand dunes.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Ravenfood posted:

The AI doesn't really focus-fire targets like that. Just put them out in front and stop being a wuss.

The AI definitely focus targets like that, it just isn't very effective when the lord is surrounded by enemies.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
Has there been any word on where the new Skaven LL starts in Vortex and ME map?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Jum-Jum posted:

No official word but it looks like they're gonna add Crookback Mountain in ME. Don't know where he'd be in Vortex though.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Jum-Jum posted:

I want to believe that CA is about to slightly expand the ME map east into the Darklands and that he'll start in Crookback Lair. It would definitely spice up the Badlands Bowl. As for the Vortex, probably anywhere.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

"Clan Rictus are purposely not shown and will be shown later on." - CA Grace

It would be cool if they added Crookback Lair but I'm doubtful. Tretch has the trait that allows him to settle in winter climates, so I imagine he's close to Naggarond or Norsca?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

"Clan Rictus are purposely not shown and will be shown later on." - CA Grace

It would be cool if they added Crookback Lair but I'm doubtful. Tretch has the trait that allows him to settle in winter climates, so I imagine he's close to Naggarond or Norsca?

It's already on the map, just impassable like Athel Loren and Skavenblight were originallly. They're definitely gonna add it with Tretch.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

He's going to start in Albion.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm having a really weird issue with TWW I, I can't get it to launch. Suddenly Steam refuses to launch the game at all, no error message or anything. Can't even verify the cache integrity, clicking on the button does nothing. What gives? TWW2 launches just fine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Did you delete it from that computer, but it's still installed on a different computer on the same network?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Nope, it's a freshly built computer that's on a completely separate network. I played it just fine last week, even.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
How the gently caress are you meant to be the Balthazar Gelt 12 minute mission? "Take the big slow army with lots of good defensive infantry and shooting, and attack/rout a huge force of heavily-armored cavalry in 1/5 the time you get for a normal battle." Do I just scrap Gelt's entire army and fill it with Outriders?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

Ugh what the gently caress is with your military allies getting a different A.I. that makes them incapable of prioritizing targets? Skavendom is down to Clan Mors and Clan Pestilens yet they refuse to confederate while Masdamundi scoops up every Lizardman faction on the map. Meanwhile I'm fighting High Elves and Lizards back home because CA finally made the A.I. capable of amphibious assault.

Whatever, one more warpstone source province and I'm back ahead of the vortex race. This time I won't let Chaos mow through my garrisons for two towns and tank my economy either.
Ok I take this back. I realized that fewer settlements means fewer places to defend when you start up a ritual, so Clan Pestilens is actually a great swamp of interference for me. Now that it's time for the third ritual the other three factions have all called interventions on each other and at least two of them are spread so thin by confederation that a minimum one of their ritual sites are ruined and Chaos might take another from Mazda Monday.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 22, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So uh were the Asur gates set up only to stop Druuchi invasions? The eastern side of Ulthuan is really hard to defend during rituals due to the impassable mountain range, which sucks. In comparison to what came before, the final battle was a piece of cake.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Ok I take this back. I realized that fewer settlements means fewer places to defend when you start up a ritual, so Clan Pestilens is actually a great swamp of interference for me. Now that it's time for the third ritual the other three factions have all called interventions on each other and at least two of them are spread so thin by confederation that at least one of their ritual sites are ruined and Chaos might take another from Mazda Monday.

Yeah, the secret for the Vortex campaign is to build tall, and ignore everything else.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Controlling all of Ulthuan is just a big headache, I think I would limit myself to the inner provinces if I were to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm playing Queek in ME. I beat up Kroq'Gar at great personal expense and now I just live in the jungle at turn 100 banking my money and raiding my own poo poo for food. No one may enter and no one may leave the everlasting Southlands rat gangbang.