Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I'm wondering who I should dive next???

Check your 5* motes and make sure you have 100 of the right types to commit.

Out of what you have I would go for Tidus(Bravery and Dex) or Cloud(Vit and Dex), and then the other, since they can really put out a lot of damage with their Dives/USBs. Cid Raines if you have enough for a caster(Spirit and Wisdom).

Re: Bartz LMR
I use it, but it very rarely procs. The only way I look at it as an upgrade to the LM1 is if you are already capping your regular hits. On hard content you won't be close to capping the followup hits, so if I can get the occasional extra casts it is preferred.

Oryp fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Butts LMR isn't a massive improvement over the LM1 because the chases from USB benefit from LM1. The scenarios where it's a lot better:
-no USB but dived butts
-USB vs no chase elements
-chase elements with chainz

I wouldn't chase it like Attestant said

E: Like Oryp above says capping is another concern. It pretty much doesn't happen with only the USB but if you get en-element from a BSB on top of it or a critfix from a teammate capping damage is possible.

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 15, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Alright, I need some help decided who to dive now, too.

For potential candidates I've got:

Lightning with USB, BSB1, SSB.
Edge with USB, SSB, LMR
Shelke with nothing
Onion Knight with BSB, SSB, LMR
Braska with USB

The only reason I'm hesitating on Edge is that I've already got a dived Shadow, but water is one of the elements I have weak coverage in and I doubt I'm going to be pulling hard on any VII banners with Yuffie's USB2 on it.

My weakest magicite elements right now are water, earth, and lightning. Lightning's USB seems crazy good but my only other physical lightning option is Orlandeau's OSB, so I dunno if those two alone + buffs and an entrust bot is enough to make sub-30 feasible.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Thanks for all the advice on various things!

FF9 300 torment down and now I've got a fully dived Tidus w/ wrecking ball!

Maybe I should finish my last couple nightmares and finally open up the magicites...

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Back to 50 mythril, could save it for the anniversary ooorrr

Finally have a comfortable sub minute Liquid Flame clear and some fine +water gear, always pull :getin:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Gave it another try with the entrust route and best him at 49 seconds. The trick for me was being Alphinaud as my second healer and turning OK into an entrust/wrath bot.

Nice! My USB has actually gotten me under 30 for that now--but I also have Bartz with his USB supplementing. And Eiko with her BSB as healer. OK and Ramza are supports. That flame gets extinguished quick!!!

Magicites are fun the first time you beat them or can get a good time. I just hate how the game wants you to do them over and over.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Been rocking a Bartz USB/LMR for awhile so I'll chime in. In normal usage it's ok, probably not chase worthy. When it procs it hits hard.

Its rep comes from the "top" players willingness to S/L as often as needed to get the best times. If you have a chain going, even one proc of triple and one prob of double can make a huge difference. It's also not that bad to fish for when you consider the quick speed under his USB.

Unless you're super patient or desperate to sub 30 or something I wouldn't recommend anyone really chase it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm proud to say that I can sub-30 Liquid Flame with only Rydia USB and non-USB Vivi as my Water DPS. Who needs Tidus?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Question: on the screen when you try to enter a dungeon but you have too much stuff in your inventory and it's asking you if you want to spend mythril on slots, what's the option on the bottom? There's equipment, abilities, magicite and then one unlabeled one below them that just has "1/5" and the "Get More Slots" button

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm proud to say that I can sub-30 Liquid Flame with only Rydia USB and non-USB Vivi as my Water DPS. Who needs Tidus?

Nice fellow no-Tidus bro, I did it with Yuffie and Bartz.

I do wish they did something like ban Cloud USB from RW and allow everything else. My favorite combo is Bartz USB to Tidus USB and then Engulfing TS spam. The chases are insane and very satisfying.

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

There's equipment, abilities, magicite and then one unlabeled one below them that just has "1/5" and the "Get More Slots" button
Do you have one stamina potion?

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Alright, I need some help decided who to dive now, too.

For potential candidates I've got:

Lightning with USB, BSB1, SSB.
Edge with USB, SSB, LMR
Shelke with nothing
Onion Knight with BSB, SSB, LMR
Braska with USB

The only reason I'm hesitating on Edge is that I've already got a dived Shadow, but water is one of the elements I have weak coverage in and I doubt I'm going to be pulling hard on any VII banners with Yuffie's USB2 on it.

My weakest magicite elements right now are water, earth, and lightning. Lightning's USB seems crazy good but my only other physical lightning option is Orlandeau's OSB, so I dunno if those two alone + buffs and an entrust bot is enough to make sub-30 feasible.

This is a bit tougher, since those are all decent options, so definitely check mote count/types to see if you can dive multiple. My thoughts on each:

Shelke is great for shaving times down, in my experience she shaved off 4-8 seconds from my magicite clears. If that matters to you, or you want an entrust bot for other content, she is a great dive; if you don't care about shaving seconds off then don't dive her.

Lightning with "just" USB is pretty great, and her dive helps her get rolling faster. I personally use her (with dive/USB) and slap lifesiphon on to build up her first gauge, then unleash USB and Thundering Quadstrike until dead. If you need more lightning damage it is hard to go wrong with her, you mentioned O, but if you also have a really good lightning mage team then you may not need her dive as much.

Edge I cannot personally attest too, but my understanding is that it is quite strong. If you need more water damage I would be leaning this way.

Onion Knight would be an okay dive, if you use him all the time, but without one of the newer USBs it doesn't seem quite as attractive.

Braska seems pretty good, if you want a solid summoner. His 4 and 5* dives give him a combined 21% boost to summon damage, plus doublecast summons sometimes; then his USB adds another 30% summon damage plus followup attacks. He gains some advantage from using fire damage, but since most of his boosts are just +summon so you could really use him for any element.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
It's probably stamina potions yeah. I'm all out and it shows 0/5 for me.

Pressing the button does nothing. Just quality DeNa coding as usual.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are the magitice bosses actually timed below the 30/60, or are people trying to "shave off seconds" just for fun/challenge/bragging rights?

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Are the magitice bosses actually timed below the 30/60, or are people trying to "shave off seconds" just for fun/challenge/bragging rights?

If you can get below 30 after that it is all bragging rights/fun. Well, and somewhat quicker battles maybe, if you are repeatedly beating them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Avalerion posted:

Well I hear that if you can do 3* in under 20 you're probably good for 4* in under 30.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm starting to come around on Yuffie USB1. It might be enough healing for a sub 30 run while also providing damage. I'll rush her to 99 and try her out.

BSB2 still doesn't impress me. Imperils are pretty corner case unless the boss resists everything.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Only had 3 dupes on the Water banner - Bartz BSB2 (x2), Edge LMR, Tidus BSB2. Since I have stuff like Tidus Chain, Bartz USB, etc this is a good banner for me.

Let's PULL!

Pull 1 - Bartz BSB 2 (dupe), Edge LMR (dupe)

gently caress. OK PULL 2!

Pull 2 - Yuffie USB, Bartz BSB 2 (dupe)

gently caress. Yuffie's is not exciting. RAGE PULL!

Pull 3 - Bartz BSB 2 x2

gently caress!

So I guess now I'm the proud owner of two reforged Bartz helmets and a Yuffie USB, and all it cost me was 150 mithryl.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm starting to come around on Yuffie USB1. It might be enough healing for a sub 30 run while also providing damage. I'll rush her to 99 and try her out.

BSB2 still doesn't impress me. Imperils are pretty corner case unless the boss resists everything.

Thee bsb2 being instant makes a huge difference.

My team:
Relm BSB gathering storm
Ramza bsb2 entrust bot
Shelke entrust bot
Butz USB bsb2
Yuffie bsb2 USB ninja abilities

Pretty simple, entrust and spam yuffie stuff when possible. Three imperils gets all the damage near cap. LDS for dual cast adds up. If I have extra gauge at the end I use the USB.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
all this time i thought Yuffie USB was a non-synergy locked water boost weapon... so that just leaves rikku fist as the only weapon based water boost option for edge huh...

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

bilperkins2 posted:

Only had 3 dupes on the Water banner - Bartz BSB2 (x2), Edge LMR, Tidus BSB2. Since I have stuff like Tidus Chain, Bartz USB, etc this is a good banner for me.

Let's PULL!

Pull 1 - Bartz BSB 2 (dupe), Edge LMR (dupe)

gently caress. OK PULL 2!

Pull 2 - Yuffie USB, Bartz BSB 2 (dupe)

gently caress. Yuffie's is not exciting. RAGE PULL!

Pull 3 - Bartz BSB 2 x2

gently caress!

So I guess now I'm the proud owner of two reforged Bartz helmets and a Yuffie USB, and all it cost me was 150 mithryl.

Ah, so I'm not the only one who's being flooded with Bartz helmets

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
Went 2/11 on the water banner, got Tidus BSB2 x2, which doesn't look very good at all.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Instant 10-hit entry, self ATK boost, grants instant cast for next turn, and CMD1 is 4-hit with reduced delay, what's not good?

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
2/11 - Tidus OSB and Yuffie USB

Glad to have gotten Tidus's OSB since I already have his BSB2, CSB and USB. He does so much damage (even against water resistant bosses) that he's my only DPS in almost every fight.

private message fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 15, 2018

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005

jebeebus posted:

Instant 10-hit entry, self ATK boost, grants instant cast for next turn, and CMD1 is 4-hit with reduced delay, what's not good?

I could be wrong but it seems a bit limiting without en-water. I have his original burst so I'm not sure this is any better than BSB1+Sapphire Shot.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm not sure it's better than Sapph Shot alone unless you're under the softcat for some dumb reason

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Even with the reduced cast time it won't come even close to Sapphire Shot's dps. The CMD2 isn't great either because the +15% sharpshooter damage for three turns is still less damage total than just using Sapphire Shot for four turns.

The instant entry, self buff, and instant cast 1 are pretty good though.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Prav posted:

i'm not sure it's better than Sapph Shot alone unless you're under the softcat for some dumb reason

Please be kind to softcat

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ive just done my first magicite dungeon and lol wtf is all this poo poo and how does it work????

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

Ive just done my first magicite dungeon and lol wtf is all this poo poo and how does it work????

load up on buffs + elemental stuff for their weak element and hold on to your loving rear end

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

fridge corn posted:

done as in "tried" or "beat"?

It sounds like the former more than the latter.

They're the hardest fights currently available. Way more HP, DEF, and RES than any other fights.
They all have one elemental weakness.
They mostly all attack from one element (with bismarck, holy dragon, and liquid flame having other elements/types of damage mixed in).

Your best strategies
(1) Use elemental resist accessories (except for liquid flame, use Instant KO resist vs him)
(2) Get someone with a fantastic elemental USB or BSB to provide most of the DPS.
(3) Either use another DPS (or two) or have entrustbots set up to power your DPS' USBs/OSBs.
(4) En-element is almost a must. It's not, but boy is it a good damage booster. OSBs are almost worthless without en-elements.
(5) Healer should have curada and a good medica. Bonus points if it's instant (Relm USB, Vanille BSB), bonus if your healer can wrath. Yshy BSB is a really good magicite BSB.
(6) Damage reflect is a good way for a more defensive team to keep up the damage (the drawback is that it's a slower fight)
(7) Faster is better; damage ramps up the longer the boss is alive. There are noticeable bumps in damage incoming at about 30s and 1m.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I beat liquid flame just under 30s, although am I correct that there are three tiers of difficulty and that was just the first one?

I was more asking about how the main magicite and sub magicite works and what I want to build toward as far as those things are concerned

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fridge corn posted:

I beat liquid flame just under 30s, although am I correct that there are three tiers of difficulty and that was just the first one?

Yeah eventually but not for a while, we get the second rank (4*) in a couple weeks but 5* magicite isn't out in Japan yet and won't be for a while afaik

the 4* bosses are apparently pretty gnarly though

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

We'll also be getting some kind of magicite fusion where you can sacrifice a magicite to make another magicite inherit their abilities or something but I don't think anyone has made a good english language breakdown of how it works

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

fridge corn posted:

I was more asking about how the main magicite and sub magicite works and what I want to build toward as far as those things are concerned
The main magicite can be summoned (10sec charge up, stays around for 20sec) and does attacks, sub magicite cannot be summoned and contribute 25% of their stats to the main.
Passives have equal value whether on main or sub magicites, though they have diminishing returns if you have multiple ones with the same passive.
Passives either boost the party directly (X% more element damage for example), or as a portion of the main magicite's stats counting the boost from the subs (+ATK and such). So if you have level10 ATK boost, it's not 10% of your attack, it's 10% of the magicite's which will probably be 40-ish.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Wow. OK's pUSB plus Eiko alternates healing and bard boosts is freaking strong as hell. I have Beatrix using Mako Might so she could fire off an imperil holy right away, and it gave me enough of an edge to avoid Black Fang altogether.

So now I've cleared all of the magicite, and sub-30'd 5 out of 8. I still need some more daka for Earth, wind magic, and ice. My ice team is Laguna and Edea with their USBs, so if I want to use one of OK'S USBs I need to ditch one or the other. I don't think having one loose their buff will be balanced by the other speeding up a little.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does any have a link to that really good write up from Reddit about Magicite builds to aim towards?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does any have a link to that really good write up from Reddit about Magicite builds to aim towards?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/71mq6p/a_guide_to_3_offensive_magicite_decks

Important comment:

quote:

If you are lazy, for non-elemental teams:

Physical - Enlil, Enlil, Enlil, Salamander/Humbaba, Salamander/Humbaba.

Magical - Enkidu, Enkidu, Enkidu, Wing Raptor, Wing Raptor.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 16, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Personally I wouldn't bother with more than one level 99 copy of each 3* magicite. As someone pointed out in the comments, collecting everything you need for those decks would require around 3.5 months of drops with perfect RNG. Realistically it would be closer to 9 months.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally I wouldn't bother with more than one level 99 copy of each 3* magicite. As someone pointed out in the comments, collecting everything you need for those decks would require around 3.5 months of drops with perfect RNG. Realistically it would be closer to 9 months.

It doesn't require any more time than getting any full two full sets of magicite. 5 level 99 Enkidus is the same amount of time as 1 Enkidu, 1 Wing Raptor, 1 Fenrir, 1 Living Flame, and 1 Mom Bomb all at 99. EDIT: This isn't quite true since the first clear nets you a bonus Magicite of the boss, so technically getting 1 of 5 different boss Magicites all at level 99 is slightly faster than 5 of the same non-boss Magicite, but the difference isn't that huge.

The two listed sets of Magicites require 40 total clears assuming you're using FFRKI or some other means to tell which Magicite is going to drop. That's just over 1 month of clears (7 per week from daily keystone, 2 per week from weekly missions = 9 per week x 4 weeks in a month = 36 keystones). 9 months is 324 keystones, more than 8 times the minimum required. Since the distribution of Magicite drops is an even split among the three options, you'd have to be absurdly unlucky for it to take that long even without doing any packet sniffing shenanigans.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 16, 2018

• Locked thread