Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jizzy sillage posted:

3U was my first MH and Qurupeco nearly made me bounce, but one day it clicked for me and it was smooth sailing after that.

I've never fought any monster in this game as hard as I fought Barroth the first time I played MH. Every fight after that has been easier because of the "git gud" he imposed on me.

I was so excited for him to be in the beta, it was like getting to murder an old friend over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have very fond memories of the very first Monster Hunter. The first big thing you fight is a Yian Kut-Ku and I actually cheered the first time I defeated one. I also recall attacking with your weapons was done with the right analogue stick, and the camera just kinda did its own thing. It was really a weird game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SettingSun posted:

I have very fond memories of the very first Monster Hunter. The first big thing you fight is a Yian Kut-Ku and I actually cheered the first time I defeated one. I also recall attacking with your weapons was done with the right analogue stick, and the camera just kinda did its own thing. It was really a weird game.

Before Tri came out and I really started the series, I heard about Monster Hunter and tried to emulate it. It turns out, playing the original MH on a keyboard when it has that control scheme is really tough. I did not play it long.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you were crazy and bought Freedom Unite on iOS (like I did), that control style sees a revival as that's pretty much exactly how weapons work in that game. A virtual right stick.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This game is hitting that "holy poo poo can't wait" level right now. Wasn't really that hyped when it got announced, only played a bit of the last couple on 3ds and was sort of like "oh that'll probably be good but probably not something I'll get on release" because I assumed it would come out during the busy period but first impressions sound good, the videos have all been great and it's exactly the sort of game I'm in the mood for right now.

Hoping some decent reviews come out just before the game comes out since that's generally a sign of confidence from a company, sometimes goons with review copies give a bit of an impression on stuff which will probably be all I need. The only thing I'd be worried about is the late game maybe not being quite there, then again, they have been working on it for four years. Just wondering if they're showing off what's likely to be every area/big monster in the trailers or if there'll be lots of other stuff.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Having three betas smacks of assured confidence too. Capcom's got this one in the bag.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Harrow posted:

What part made you bounce off?

I wanted to get into the 3DS ones so I tried the demos for each one and it just never worked for me. But I've played the World demos/beta weekends and it really clicked this time. Controlling it with a real controller with easier camera control and the big, open environments really help me enjoy the game. Maybe I won't end up liking the core hunt monster -> craft new gear -> hunt bigger monster loop, but the core gameplay feels fantastic to me as someone who's never really gotten into it before.

I played it on the 3DS too and the controls were a big reason why I bounced off.
Maybe I'll give this a chance. I have a gift card and I've put HZD and N:A in my rearview.
My other concern is the series attention to minutae, I'm not sure if that will make me bounce off again.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ChrisBTY posted:

I played it on the 3DS too and the controls were a big reason why I bounced off.
Maybe I'll give this a chance. I have a gift card and I've put HZD and N:A in my rearview.
My other concern is the series attention to minutae, I'm not sure if that will make me bounce off again.

They have really simplified the armor/accessory ability system so that micromanagement of your skills should really be a lot easier, not to mention all the improvements they've made to gathering and crafting with regards to stuff like wishlists, in game weapon upgrade trees that let you see all the possible paths, and the ability to downgrade and go back if you want to try a different upgrade path.

Things are looking pretty good in that department!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Since you have a PS4, you can try it out this weekend and see how the controls feel to you now. They're doing another beta weekend starting Friday.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What should I be aware of before I play this game as a monster hunter noob who's played all the soulsborne games?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ChrisBTY posted:

You don't have to get too in-depth to play well. Knowing how your weapon works, keeping gear more-or-less up to date, being able to dodge and hit the monster and stuff, and maybe using elemental advantages sometimes, is enough to do alright, at least for Low and some of High Rank. And World is making it easier to learn more; monster weaknesses for both elements and different parts of the monster are in-game now, and you can watch your damage numbers while fighting monsters even, so learning those things is pretty easy, and armor skills are much, much easier to manage now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Impermanent posted:

What should I be aware of before I play this game as a monster hunter noob who's played all the soulsborne games?

Since I'm not a Monster Hunter veteran but a fellow Soulsborne player:

You know how people talk about how you commit to attack animations in Soulsborne games? Monster Hunter is like that but much, much more so. It can be hard to change direction mid-combo with some weapons, for example. In general you need to pay a lot more attention about where you're aiming when you start swinging your weapon.

Also, Monster Hunter is a lot more combo-focused than Soulsborne. There are three attack buttons instead of two and they're not just light attack and heavy attack. Learning useful combos for your weapon is a big part of learning the weapon, from what I can tell.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Many kind thanks folks.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The Moon Monster posted:

Basarios is generally where I bounce off.

I appreciated this.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Harrow posted:

You know how people talk about how you commit to attack animations in Soulsborne games? Monster Hunter is like that but much, much more so. It can be hard to change direction mid-combo with some weapons, for example. In general you need to pay a lot more attention about where you're aiming when you start swinging your weapon.

Not just attacking, either - taking a swig for health in Soulsborne involves committing to a second long animation that you can quickly cancel, whereas using most items in MH involves animations that range from two seconds to nearly ten. There are a lot of times in Soulsborne where you can stand up from a big attack and take a quick, panicky swig - monsters in MH are usually finely tuned so doing that will actually get you killed.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
What I'm interested in is whether or not Deviljho will have interactions with elders like Teo. He's a bit of a natural threat to them due to his innate dragon element and we know that "regular" monsters can threaten elders (Rajangs will hunt and kill Kirins). Similarly, if they add Zinogre in DLC (which you'd have to consider a shoe-in) and Stygian comes as well (which also seems likely if Rath & co have their subs in), Stygian's whole deal is that he preys on elder dragons.

SettingSun posted:

Yeah, same here, right down to the Kut Ku cheer. That game was so magical for me, despite it's super wonky controls.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

As a MH newbie, I can't wait for one last Beta to get more practice with various weapons.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Harrow posted:

Since you have a PS4, you can try it out this weekend and see how the controls feel to you now. They're doing another beta weekend starting Friday.

If you really have problems with some of the buttons you can hard remap them through the Accessibility options on the PS4.

I find the controls to actually make sense and feel good once you learn them. It's just a hell of a learning curve. Much like the rest of MH.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Don't try to play MH like you have soulsborne levels of iframes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relentless posted:

If you really have problems with some of the buttons you can hard remap them through the Accessibility options on the PS4.

I find the controls to actually make sense and feel good once you learn them. It's just a hell of a learning curve. Much like the rest of MH.

Yeah, I had a ton of problems with the controls on 3DS and was actually planning on remapping them on PS4, but after the first beta weekend somehow it all clicked. Even cycling through items by holding L1 and using Square/Circle suddenly felt natural to the point that I was doing it without thinking, which is hilarious because I could cycle through with the d-pad now like I do in other games. It's like when one part of the control scheme clicked, the whole thing did.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

dragon enthusiast posted:

Don't try to Equip Evasion and play MH like you have soulsborne levels of iframes

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Impermanent posted:

Others are commenting purely on the combat system, but to address the rest of the game, if you were able to handle the obtuseness of the systems in the Souls games, you'll be able to learn the crafting and metagame in MH just fine. Read tutorials, watch videos, ask questions, experiment with weapons, and it will start to click. Don't forget how it felt when you first started playing DS and it finally clicked - MH takes a while too.

The one thing you should not expect is a deep story though (or any story at all). There are no spoilers to be had and the more informed you are going into each fight, the better you'll do. So don't feel bad about reading up on strategy if needed - the game is designed with the community helping each other in mind.

I disagree, I played it like this (with the right gear) and it worked well.

Edit: \/ Yeah that is a better explanation. \/

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 16, 2018

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

This too, yeah. Dodging in MH is more about actually moving out of the way of things than it is using i-frames to go through stuff. Unless you get the Evasion skill, of course.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Or Superman-diving through things, but that's a specific edge case and it requires you to have your weapons put away, so you probably won't be using it much mid-fight. Though it is occasionally necessary, like against Dalamadur.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Even if you load up on evasion, dodging is different from your soulsbornes because your attacks take a lot longer to finish, so you need to deliberately stop attacking to prepare for an upcoming monster's attack. Hammering your attack button up until the moment the monster is about to hit you is a good way to eat a hit (and actually lose out on a bunch of damage as you go through the knockdown animation, drink a potion, etc).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The only thing that requires more commitment than taking an action in monster hunter is marriage

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The only thing that requires more commitment than taking an action in monster hunter is marriage

I have a friend with an annulment that says otherwise.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

thebardyspoon posted:

Hoping some decent reviews come out just before the game comes out since that's generally a sign of confidence from a company, sometimes goons with review copies give a bit of an impression on stuff which will probably be all I need. The only thing I'd be worried about is the late game maybe not being quite there, then again, they have been working on it for four years. Just wondering if they're showing off what's likely to be every area/big monster in the trailers or if there'll be lots of other stuff.

Reviews for Monster Hunter games, from western reviewers, at least, tend to be poor largely because of the series' learning curve. This thread will point out for you when someone is just being a moron, though. Just... vet the reviews before reading too much into them.

I remember a review of... 3U, probably, that was completely bonkers, talking about how he spent dozens of hours somehow before fighting any boss monsters, and that when he did they kept running away and timing him out. The best part - which eventually got edited out of the review, sadly - is when he said he was tracking the monster by following a trail of glowing monster fluid. In case you aren't familiar, monster fluid is a part csrved/dropped from insects, and has nothing to do with tracking a large monster. It doesn't glow, either, or even appear physically on the map. World is introducing the tracking element for the first time, in fact. I'm still baffled to this day by how he managed to make that mistake... or even time out on a great jaggi hunt in the first drat place.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 16, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Eh, generally I know what I like and just use reviews from a few places to tip me over into actually buying a game. The only way the reviews for World would dissuade me is if every single one mentions something very specific that I don't like, I generally know what a Monster Hunter game entails. The places I read the reviews of generally like them as well, Eurogamer for example rated the last 2 3ds ones as essential. I suspect this one will get a bit more of a shot by a lot of reviewers just by being on the PS4 and Xbox.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Sort of off topic but I'm surprised people still give lots of merit to review scores. In this day and age its so easy to see hours of gameplay footage before a game comes out, and that should at least give you an idea of whether or not you'll enjoy the game. Assuming you know what kind of gameplay you like, of course. Aside from game length, there's little reviews can tell you that a half hour on YouTube couldn't.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's incredible. Monster fluid only comes from neopterans anyway, so there's no way that happened unless he thought the monster tears Jaggi sometimes drops, one at a time, when you hit him enough, was a trail. Gathering quests did take a couple of your first hours but if you're anywhere near double digits on that you really need to reevaluate how you're approaching this game. MH has a famous learning curve, but drat.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FisheyStix posted:

They have really simplified the armor/accessory ability system so that micromanagement of your skills should really be a lot easier, not to mention all the improvements they've made to gathering and crafting with regards to stuff like wishlists, in game weapon upgrade trees that let you see all the possible paths, and the ability to downgrade and go back if you want to try a different upgrade path.

Things are looking pretty good in that department!

I'm really glad to hear that, I'm sooo over checking wikis for everything. I'm playing through Pokemon FireRed for the first time and it's constantly stuff like, "Do you want Snotzor to learn Fury Shits?" How the hell should I know?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
apparently this commercial's been airing on TV a lot, pretty decent
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wHa7/monster-hunter-world-the-new-world

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm really glad to hear that, I'm sooo over checking wikis for everything. I'm playing through Pokemon FireRed for the first time and it's constantly stuff like, "Do you want Snotzor to learn Fury Shits?" How the hell should I know?

One thing I've always really appreciated about Monster Hunter is that, however inscrutable its systems may have been, you can never actually screw yourself over by making a bad choice - picking any option never closes other options off. You're free to experiment if you don't know how something will work out because you can always just go back and try the other options if your choice turns out to suck. Compare that to so many other games where you could replace a crucial move, or pick a class that's terrible, or use a limited consumable item in a way that turns out to be a waste and you're just stuck with that choice for the rest of the game. In Monster Hunter, when I look up a guide for something, it's because I want to do better and not because I want to prevent regret over a decision.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Hasn't MH gotten consistently good reviews from western outlets since at least 4U?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

In a world where Dark Souls consistently scores highly, I think MHW will do fine. A lot of the major publications have been stung by public mockery of letting dimwits review games (Doom and Cuphead comes to mind) and MHW is famously challenging in the same way Dark Souls is, so they will likely put reviewers with more than two brain cells on the game.

That's the theory at least!

:siren: edit: Famitsu has given the game 39/40 :siren:

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 16, 2018

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

:siren: edit: Famitsu has given the game 39/40 :siren:

Only 39?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Only 25 games since 1986 (when Famitsu first sold) has received a perfect 40/40 score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Only 25 games since 1986 (when Famitsu first sold) has received a perfect 40/40 score.

They have given 19 of those in the past 10 years.