Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pondex posted:

Arturia's going a little modular-crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7QCOe5lcw

e: haa, beat you by one minute :) VVV

so what you're trying to say is.... Arturia is reading my posts? :tinfoil:

previously in the synth thread:

Your Computer posted:

I've been having a ton of fun toying around with the 2600V from Arturia and I'd absolutely love a good semi-modular physical synth.

Preferably something with two or more oscillators or an lfo with an insane range, because audio rate modulation is too much fun :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
i'd love one too, but i'll pass on that i think. if i was going that route, i'd get the ms-20 for that filter

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Plavski posted:

i'd love one too, but i'll pass on that i think. if i was going that route, i'd get the ms-20 for that filter

The MS-20 is quite limited and the filter has very limited range in terms of musicality. I mean I own one and it's cool and fun but this new Brute would be quite a bit more flexible

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i might can convince somebody in my band to get a minibrute 2 and then patch it into the 6u :getin:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
As someone who hasn't owned a hardware synth in forever, it really seems to me like there's just a flood of really neat-looking devices coming out at lower price points, way more than I can remember ten years ago or so. Is this some sort of golden age of mini synths, or have I just been oblivious until recently?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Trig Discipline posted:

As someone who hasn't owned a hardware synth in forever, it really seems to me like there's just a flood of really neat-looking devices coming out at lower price points, way more than I can remember ten years ago or so. Is this some sort of golden age of mini synths, or have I just been oblivious until recently?

Personal opinion, but I think a large part of it is manufacturers realizing that menu diving loving SUCKS. Knobs are good, and analog sounds that much better as far as consumers are concerned.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i guess we're in a golden age of gadgets, period. the internet has finally developed into a truly global network, social media means basically free around the globe marketing by word of mouth and the postal network will carry your product anywhere in the world in a matter of days or weeks. production is also super easy, since even a small team can just order the parts they want directly from a chinese factory, no middle men and minimal costs.

then there's crowdsourcing, so you don't even need anything except a somewhat interesting idea and a friend with decent computer / av / bullshit skills to make a compelling pitch.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 15, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Plavski posted:

Honestly kinda pricey for me too, and I still have my old first gen Minibrute sitting in its dusty box :eng99:

Gonna watch reviews and stuff of it to see what it's capable of though, maybe it's something I want to save up for.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
We're absolutely in a golden age renaissance BUT I feel like we're at once also already passed market saturation. We've got fantastic limited production run monos from Moog and Vermona both of which you can still get with no trouble for street. Hell for Christmas the minimoogs were $500 off and the availability hasn't changed.
I'm excited about what's coming at NAMM cause I think it'll be the last big drop we'll see in a while. I hope anyway.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I mean, how many 2-osc monosynth's with a 4-pole lpf and a sequencer does one person need?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

toadee posted:

I mean, how many 2-osc monosynth's with a 4-pole lpf and a sequencer does one person need?

for every dozen underwhelming copycats we have an op1 or a 0-coast. since there's relatively little cost to develop and release a synth, most of the boutique monosynths that aren't any special will just be forgotten and the people behind them will move on to something else.

i mean look at boutique pedals. theres so many available that you're like a child in a candy shop and it's been like this for a decade or more.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 15, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dyna Soar posted:

Thanks for the tip.

Idk, maybe synths are more susceptible to dust than other music gear, like amps.

Well, they provide a lot of surfaces and nooks and crannies for dust to collect. And if an amp gets dusty you probably wouldn’t notice unless you brushed your hand over the top. You’re going to notice dirt on your synths a lot faster because the top is more often than not the playing surface.

Also- humans are dust and oil making machines, constantly flaking all over the place. If you’re working or hanging out in the area of your synths a lot you’re gonna shed skin all over them. :unsmigghh:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Dyna Soar posted:

Thanks for the tip.

Idk, maybe synths are more susceptible to dust than other music gear, like amps.

They are. Sheets are fine. I have a small collection of Japanese gift wrap cloths that I use to cover mine, and made covers out of blackout curtain material when I had multiple three-tier keyboard stands.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Trig Discipline posted:

Speaking of which, what's the name of that robot-looking electronic noise maker that comes in different colours? I saw it online about ten years ago. I want to say that it's called a Bleepathingy, but I don't know.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of which, what's the name of that robot-looking electronic noise maker that comes in different colours? I saw it online about ten years ago. I want to say that it's called a Bleepathingy, but I don't know.

Thingamagoop. The most recent one I'm aware of was the 3000, which I have. I haven't gotten nearly as much use out of it as I expected, but it's partially that I don't really have it set up in a quickly-usable way.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
holy cow the minibrute 2 has a vc AD/AR envelope! never seen playable voltage control on a keyboard synths EG before, nice little touch imo, vc envelopes are prob my fave thing about modular

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finally watched some videos on the upcoming OP-Z and holy gently caress that looks insane. I think the OP-1 is still what i'd get if I had more money but goddamn the idea of being able to gently caress around with sick visuals on a simple-ish interface is very appealing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So this arrived today

Number 26, according to the serial number. My Roli Seaboard Block and MicroMonsta also arrived at the same time, so gonna be quite the evening!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Man, I can see myself getting one of those soon. Seems too hard to pass up for the price.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Nkmx3ptcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcRG5Z40ROI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-SJpcDP4o

Also, this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVCjtR8v5-E

Plavski fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 16, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

:psyduck:

wonder what's next for the microbrute

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

they're doing a thing called the RackBrute

It explains the big knob/holes on the side of the brutes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Plavski posted:

they're doing a thing called the RackBrute

It explains the big knob/holes on the side of the brutes

oh boy a proprietary standard that they hopefully won't drop in ~6 years

I can't pretend I'm not excited and optimistic though. I've been a fan of pretty much everything Arturia have been doing over the last 2 years and they just turned the Minibrute into the modern MS-20 I didn't know I wanted and made a module version with a greatly enhanced sequencer. Now that they've pushed the Minibrute up a tier in terms of scale I hope they keep/further emphasize the Microbrute's portability and immediate playability if/when they update it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Speaking of the Brute family, what was wrong with DrumBrute that nobody really liked it?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lichtenstein posted:

Speaking of the Brute family, what was wrong with DrumBrute that nobody really liked it?

It's been a while since I've heard anyone talk about it, but from what I remember it was that a lot of the included sounds were really narrowly applicable, if that makes sense. They would only sound good in certain kinds of tracks. I think it was missing some basic features too, but I could be misremembering.

For the price I'd probably get a TR-8 but I don't really care about ~analog~

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gearslutz posted:

@Uli Behringer
When can we expect a rack designed specifically to accommodate several D's for those of us who plan to polychain them?

quote:

Stay tuned.

Uli
New Behringer Eurorack nonsense on the way it seems.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:psyduck:

wonder what's next for the microbrute

Maybe even a working midi sync and gate out!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Plavski posted:

New Behringer Eurorack nonsense on the way it seems.

It must be so hard to be the spokesman for a company and pass up a "your mom can take several D's at once already, why don't you ask her" opportunity like that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If that Minibrute 2S gets good reviews I think I'm gonna get it, since I already have a nice keyboard to plug into it. That sequencer looks really good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

It must be so hard to be the spokesman for a company and pass up a "your mom can take several D's at once already, why don't you ask her" opportunity like that.

sure, if you like going bankrupt

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Lichtenstein posted:

Nothing wrong with it at all, it's a capable analog drum machine. Unfortunately it released in these halcyon days and that's not good enough lol. I'd grab a TR-08 in the price range even if it's digital but six of one etc

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

A lot of my problem with a bunch of new gear is lack of hands on opportunity. Unless you live in one of a handful of spots in the US where there's a really well stocked shop, you're lucky if your local Guitar Center has like 4 synths stacked in a corner, one of which is definitely a MicroKORG.

What happens with me is I'll get interested in something, think "hmm, I wonder how I'd get on with that sequencer/patching architecture/etc in my setup", waffle on it for a bit, play around with my existing gear, realize I can already do a ton with it, and forget about it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The choices are awful in places like Ireland. I can't even get on a train and head to the capital to see more than a handful of overpriced synths. Sadly, the best way to try something out is to pay up front on a site with a 30 day money back guarantee. It's why most of my money gets funneled through thomann and gear4music. Judging by the second hand market for this stuff in Ireland, there really isn't a massive desire for that sort of hardware either so the situation wont' be changing any time soon. Part of me thinks "hey, that's a niche, maybe there's a business opportunity there?" but some niches are vacant for a reason. If the big players haven't tried to fill it, why would anyone else bother?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lol. Arturia are pretty bad at the web thing.

Someone changed the banner image link from top2.jpg to top3.jpg and got this

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

So wait, I'm confused. Originally I read it as the RackBrute would fit a Eurorack case around/on top of your Minibrute2, but is it actually a Minibrute2 without the keys? Keys are like a death sentence for me. I have no idea why people insist on putting them on everything they sell, especially if they don't offer a desk/rack version. What the gently caress am I gonna do with 14 different 2-4 octave keyboards?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

That RackBrute is an analog synthesizer in and of itself (that's the small print under the name). It also has that Eurorack mount thing. You can use that to mount it on top of your MiniBrute 2 or 2S. We'll know more tomorrow afternoon.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

e^^^ idk if id read that much into the word synthesizer being printed on a euro case. even if arturia only put a busboard in there, its still gonna be a synthesizer some day

its nice of arturia to put out a case, itll probably make getting into euro that much more "affordable"

you know, like the morphine syrettes they give somebody in every platoon, right? :getin:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Well I suspect this may change my long-term plans to get a MatrixBrute.

Also I feel I should sell my MicroBrute sooner rather than later.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Good morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

toadee posted:

What happens with me is I'll get interested in something, think "hmm, I wonder how I'd get on with that sequencer/patching architecture/etc in my setup", waffle on it for a bit, play around with my existing gear, realize I can already do a ton with it, and forget about it.

A blessing in disguise