Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thebardyspoon posted:

Clint's class can potentially have an assault rifle to start, which is pretty crazy and that definitely wouldn't fit the character he's building, unless his dark past is a lot darker than a cryptoid museum owner/con man who looks like Brian Blessed.

I dunno, it's pretty easy to get guns in the USA. I think it would be extremely in character if Ned had gotten drunk one day, wandered into a gun show, and impulsively bought an assault riffle that he now just kinda has lying around the shop in a backroom (he keeps thinking about reselling it somehow and then forgetting). He doesn't know how to shoot properly though, so if he ever uses it in combat he just has to pray and spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
“Assault rifle” tends to lead to some mil sperg arguments, but in 2018, AR-15s are the Honda Civic of rifles in that they are cheap, incredibly versatile, inexpensive to feed, and if you want to custom build one for a specific task, you can.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this is one of my favorite TAZ videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agc-JsQ4r8M

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's no doubt in my mind that the first monster is big foot. Something bigger than a bear that won't go near a fire, hanging out in the woods, in a game that resembles Griffin's 'The Lodge' dreams?

And it will be great when Clint, dressed as big foot, is caught between the other players and the real big foot, when everybody is trying to figure what the gently caress is really happening

Seduce the bigfoot, Grunkle Blessed.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No YouTube list is complete without Jenkins

https://youtu.be/iWPH9JyKCgw

This is also a great clip to get people into TAZ if they don't know what it is.

I've managed to get a handful of my friends into TAZ with this exact video.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ariong posted:

I don't know of any that cover that particular moment. Here are a few really good ones though. Just assume that all of these have heavy balance spoilers.
Thanks for the suggestions.

That Don't Let's Start video is gorgeously drawn but man, I don't like that song. I didn't really feel those AMVs as much as the Brother or I Can't Decide ones, but all the ones you suggested with the actual podcast audio were real drat good, even the sketchy one with Lup drawing the line, the sketchiness was of that "rough, but good" quality, as opposed to a lot of the less-finished animation stylings where it's "circle with + for a face"-level of sketch. Thanks!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No YouTube list is complete without Jenkins

https://youtu.be/iWPH9JyKCgw

This is also a great clip to get people into TAZ if they don't know what it is.
I forgot about this one, one of the first I saw and it is super good.

Some of the super short, but super-detailed/fluid clips are good too, like the "I'M MULTIDIMENSIONAL!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p4EP5v4dtA

or "my reputation precedes me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HUGedvhgBQ

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

More great TAZ animatics:

Arms outstretched (possibly my all time favorite): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SpovejRZWSs&feature=youtu.be

Making a deal: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T1A0pHzXUYw

And of course, The Life (and Death) of Brian: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ILQaZC24kiw

Edit:

gently caress, forgot one more really good one! Taako is cute: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_HO0nAqkAkI

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 14, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, those are great too. I know there's a bunch of "Taako getting real" during Petals to the Metal, but I like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniyd26r7As&hd=1

I also love that almost everyone has their own interpretations of the characters, though there's general throughlines for everyone but Merle, who can be a brown dwarf with a flowery beard, or a beard with limbs, or a bald dude with glasses, or all sorts of other styles.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Merle's throughline is 'a disney character' basically and it rules.

All those are good but speaking of Merle, we can't forget "God's Gonna Hit You With A Train"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Df4Q7iJvg

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Happy 2nd birthday, Borth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qo1Aj_leEo

The thing about today, is....it's just like Bartday.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Personally I always thought the throughline of Merles was "Clint but short".

My personal headcanon for "average taako" is that he just looks like Justin. I've also seen one where he's the generic handsome of a bachlorette contestant, without any real charm or defining features.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that Ned is so not Grunkle Stan that he has a Soos.

Also I was listening to an old episode last night, and it reminded me of something important: Ep 420's comin' this year

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 15, 2018

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Waffleman_ posted:

Dammit, you sent me on a Monster Factory binge

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Waffleman_ posted:

I honestly forgot that Justin almost laughed so hard he puked more than once in this one video. Goddamn what a good character creator.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I watched it after I posted it and I was in tears all over again.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Just finished the first Amnesty ep, good stuff with the minor thing of

mlmp08 posted:

edit: Justin made a completely reasonable and good decision after that gunshot bit, and it was funny to hear Griffin's wheels turning as he realized that this park ranger was just like "nope, there's cops for this poo poo."
Yeah it's not a great look to sell the game as "no guns to start, you're normies, also ANYONE CAN DIE" and then make fun of someone for (reasonably) calling the cops to have them play the game for them after being immediately confronted with a gun-wielding stranger.

The scene might have worked better with a minor alteration of Pigeon having a machete and was opening the door partially to take wild swings instead of using a shotgun, or maybe waving a torch through a cracked door or something.

Still, that extremely minor thing aside it's looking good as hell.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am now totally caught up aside from the Flop House episodes and Amnesty.

Those live show episodes are all fantastic, but especially Tomb of Horrors and the company retreat. Commitment was eh.

I now hate Naturebox and Blue Apron.

Literally everything else on maximum fun sounds like the worst kind of daytime television line up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Rodyle posted:

Those live show episodes are all fantastic, but especially Tomb of Horrors and the company retreat. Commitment was eh.

Literally everything else on maximum fun sounds like the worst kind of daytime television line up.

Maxfun must have some kind of style guide for their ads because they are literally always the worst, just terrible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rodyle posted:

Judge John Hodgman, Beef and Dairy Network, and Bullseye are good. Jordan Jessie Go is funny, but I'll admit I don't listen to it regularly. Oh no Ross and Carrie has its moments, but they get way too into "haha we r smart and they r dum, lolololol" about things that any sensible person knows is dumb.

Naturebox has perhaps the most annoying names for snack foods.

By comparison, Earwolf ads often go so far off the rails that I'm surprised they don't get dropped by sponsors. Though, to be fair, Paul F. Tompkins just talked mad poo poo about how dumb Cards Against Humanity sounded for weeks on end before they dropped him.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I normally don’t like podcast live eps but TAZ is great, in part because you get to watch griffin get increasingly mad as their reserved time at the venue runs out and the other boys keep loving around with jokes that keep them from finishing the story he had planned. The candlenights ep was extremely fun

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
We're already back around on Podcast ads, huh? Alright.

mlmp08 posted:

By comparison, Earwolf ads often go so far off the rails that I'm surprised they don't get dropped by sponsors. Though, to be fair, Paul F. Tompkins just talked mad poo poo about how dumb Cards Against Humanity sounded for weeks on end before they dropped him.

My favorite is still PFT not being able to hide his utter disdain for the concept of Loot Crate, and then his next ad read for them had no improv from him and was fully on-script. The kings, though, are still Bill Burr's read for Shari's Berries and Norm's read for Man Grate.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I listen to The Greatest Generation and really should listen to Tights and Fights but jesus I have so many podcasts

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It took several Shari's Berries ads on Hollywood Handbook for me to realize it wasn't a joke delivery service that they had made up to mock dumb podcast ads

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I heard so many super earnest Sheri’s Berris ads on AM radio half a decade ago. I used to listen to right wing AM radio on the 10 minute drive in to work so I would know what topic would make the office resident right wing weirdo lose his poo poo all day.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It took several Shari's Berries ads on Hollywood Handbook for me to realize it wasn't a joke delivery service that they had made up to mock dumb podcast ads

To be fair it can be very hard to tell what reality is in general with those guys.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My dudes I don't know how to break this to you but I work at UPS and during the relevant holidays we ship an INSANE amount of Sherri's Berries, they're a shockingly prolific company

At the very least they ship them in sturdy boxes. Kinda like that whoopie pie company from Vermont or Maine or whatever that ships their whoopie pies and whoopie pie cakes in reinforced, bubblewrapped boxes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Captain Invictus posted:

My dudes I don't know how to break this to you but I work at UPS and during the relevant holidays we ship an INSANE amount of Sherri's Berries, they're a shockingly prolific company

At the very least they ship them in sturdy boxes. Kinda like that whoopie pie company from Vermont or Maine or whatever that ships their whoopie pies and whoopie pie cakes in reinforced, bubblewrapped boxes.

It's still a very dumb service to describe to listeners of The Monday Morning Podcast and Hollywood Handbook. Especially if your ad copy contains fluff words that Burr would never say on his own, or that Sean & Hayes would only ever say jokingly. Like, they can probably do well on JJGo, or maybe even JJHo, or any other podcast with a consummate professional type, but not on a stream of consciousness comedy podcast.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I liked that last TAZ episode. And maybe I also missed something, but I love that Travis/Aubrey's immediate reaction upon being in a burning room full of children was to save the rabbit and run outside. Perhaps the character should have been named George?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Blockhouse posted:

I listen to The Greatest Generation and really should listen to Tights and Fights but jesus I have so many podcasts

Tights and Fights is very good but I don't keep up with it as well as I should

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Captain Invictus posted:

That's not surprising. It's basically a step away from flowers as a thoughtless last minute gift for female relatives, and probably less expensive than Edible Arrangements.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vaah posted:

Tights and Fights is very good but I don't keep up with it as well as I should

But those ads :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpacePig posted:

It's still a very dumb service to describe to listeners of The Monday Morning Podcast and Hollywood Handbook. Especially if your ad copy contains fluff words that Burr would never say on his own, or that Sean & Hayes would only ever say jokingly. Like, they can probably do well on JJGo, or maybe even JJHo, or any other podcast with a consummate professional type, but not on a stream of consciousness comedy podcast.
Nah, I've heard them all over the place, and they do seem to do well on comedy/shoot-the-poo poo podcasts too. Like I've never bought them but it doesn't surprise me that they're just blasting at every single podcast under the sun because that poo poo works.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

That's not surprising. It's basically a step away from flowers as a thoughtless last minute gift for female relatives, and probably less expensive than Edible Arrangements.
pretty much, but poo poo, I wouldn't even say they're exclusively for women, strawberries are delicious and if they're as good as I've heard, anyone could enjoy them. The strawberries I get at the store can sometimes have freakishly huge mutant ones and they're drat good, so those coated in chocolate would be nice. Obviously not at that price though

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

mlmp08 posted:

But those ads :negative:

There are several good shows on the MaxFun network, and literally none of their shows have good ads. I've only ever laughed at two of them, and they were shows I already listened to, so I was already used to the type of humor to expect from them. Most of their shows are hard to describe further than "[2-4] people sit and talk about [thing] for an hour", and unless you're into that thing or those people, it probably won't reach you well.

Things would be improved, though, if they stopped making ads with lists in them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I laughed at the TAZ ad where the entire joke is how bad the ad is but even then its not remotely representative of the show

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i used to think maxfun ads were really bad, but then i heard some of the Feral Audio brand's ads. you will beg to hear the first flophouse ad before you ever listen to one of those.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I really want someone from maxfun to explain why all their ads are consistently awful. They do such a bad job at selling the shows.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Improbable Lobster posted:

I really want someone from maxfun to explain why all their ads are consistently awful. They do such a bad job at selling the shows.

a lot of their shows are really bad. i dare you to listen to pop rocket.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

I refuse

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Blockhouse posted:

I laughed at the TAZ ad where the entire joke is how bad the ad is but even then its not remotely representative of the show

That was one of the two. "I'd say this ad was a critical hit":v: still makes me laugh when I hear it.

The other is the Stop Podcasting Yourself ad that starts with "We're Canadian comedians. Wait! Don't hang up!". Again, though, I had already been listening to the show and saw the joke for what it was.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I have to imagine that podcasting is a very hard medium to advertise for, especially for shows that don't have a full driving concept or any big names to attach.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

No. Never.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pop Rocket might as well be called "Podcast".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Judge John Hodgman's ads do the best job of selling the show but you already know what that show is just from the title