Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

This episode was badly done and mostly not very interesting to watch IMO.

The Expanse did vacuum exposure better than this show did too, literally everything they do is more compelling in other contemporary shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Good episode.

I enjoyed that Lorca thought Michael should just nuke the rebels. I’m fully on board with the Lorca is mirror Lorca theory.

And to those wondering how the people on Discovery knew what was going on with Voq/Tyler, obviously there had to have been communication between Michael and Discovery to set up the whole scheme. But showing it would kill the tension of the scene!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Did they ever tell us what was up with the power outage on the Discovery at the start of the episode?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Delsaber posted:

Did they ever tell us what was up with the power outage on the Discovery at the start of the episode?

It gave them an excuse for creepy flashing lighting when stumbling upon the murder scene in sickbay.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I can live without visual continuity with a 60s TV show, obviously they're not going to set a whole show on a bridge that looks the TOS enterprise. But I think it's a real missed opportunity as well. Plenty of shows are all dark rooms with high contrast screens, all dutch angles, zoomy wooshy cameras and everything Orange and Tealed within an inch of every shots life. STD is really bad for it, but the JJ films sorta set the precedent there, and for many people that's just what Star Trek looks like.

gently caress that, give me a 60s sci-fi magazine illustration come to life. Have everyone wearing clothes straight out of one of those old 'in the 1990s, the world will be like *this* films. Have insane vistas and a colour pallet ripped straight from a Beatles album cover. Have devices that are all stainless steel and leather finishes. Don't make it look like a show with 60s production values, make it look like the show those guys would have made if they had access to a render farm, a colour correction suite and a green screen studio in 1966. Instead of what we have, which is just a low budget version of the Expanse.

And level up the loving cameras while your at it, the dutch angles just make it look like a lovely film school video someone made in 1995 on VHS.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the show is pretty drab. I had the same complaint about Voyager and Enterprise, just gunmetal and gray and silver and muted blues everywhere.

They rarely go anywhere on Discovery so you're kinda stuck on the ship sets too which doesn't help the visual samey feeling.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

They rarely go anywhere on Discovery
:(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I rationalized them not mind melding Tyler because they were short on time, and Tyler pretty much exposed himself as "bad". The rebels have little reason to check his deeper intentions.

It's not a strong rationale; I know.

It would have been nice to have Sarek and Michael just talk for minute after the meld about their history, and have a throwaway line about how Mirror Spock is enslaved on the ISS Enterprise. Or not, considering how little Sarek talked to his kids in the prime universe.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Delsaber posted:

It's been about 4 days since episode 8 when Discovery was in that battle. They're repairing tertiary systems.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They didn't have time to mind meld this random grunt because they were going to be exploded in an hour. Plus the folks on the internet who keep asking why Tyler didn't get mind melded are the same folks who are still really mad about the awful rape that was the last non-consensual mind meld depicted on screen nearly 30 years ago. Considering Tyler's history I don't think anyone would be any more satisfied if he was held down and mind melded while he screamed and struggled.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

So I'm guessing the Empress' ship is the Defiant? It could be fun if they find a way back to their universe via that ship, maybe reversing the Tholian Web effect, and find themselves ten years in the future or whenever the Defiant is actually from.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I agree that it would have been narratively clunky, but OTOH Burnham's mind-meld literally took ten seconds.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

counterfeitsaint posted:

They didn't have time to mind meld this random grunt because they were going to be exploded in an hour.

What? Burnham set the deadline as an hour.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I'm fine with the earlier implied explanation of "Hey, maybe we just don't meld people without their permission."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I wonder if we'll get a courtroom episode about whether Ash Tyler is an individual distinct from Voq.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pastamania posted:

I can live without visual continuity with a 60s TV show, obviously they're not going to set a whole show on a bridge that looks the TOS enterprise. But I think it's a real missed opportunity as well. Plenty of shows are all dark rooms with high contrast screens, all dutch angles, zoomy wooshy cameras and everything Orange and Tealed within an inch of every shots life. STD is really bad for it, but the JJ films sorta set the precedent there, and for many people that's just what Star Trek looks like.

gently caress that, give me a 60s sci-fi magazine illustration come to life. Have everyone wearing clothes straight out of one of those old 'in the 1990s, the world will be like *this* films. Have insane vistas and a colour pallet ripped straight from a Beatles album cover. Have devices that are all stainless steel and leather finishes. Don't make it look like a show with 60s production values, make it look like the show those guys would have made if they had access to a render farm, a colour correction suite and a green screen studio in 1966. Instead of what we have, which is just a low budget version of the Expanse.

And level up the loving cameras while your at it, the dutch angles just make it look like a lovely film school video someone made in 1995 on VHS.

This guy gets it.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah episode was good and moved things along perfectly. Let the old school Trek nerds stew - who gives a gently caress about em.

Never pander.

Ironically, watching terrible TV shows or movies simply because they have the Star Trek brand is the most "old school Star Trek" thing you can do.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I mean, for away missions. I think they've had four episodes where they go somewhere, and one of those is in Burnham's head?

They went to the crystal Vancouver planet for two epiodes, a plaza on Vulcan shows up in one episode, and in the first episode they're on a planet somewhere. I'm not counting episodes that take place on board Klingon ships, although the sets look different for those.

Am I forgetting some?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There is no Ash Tyler. Ash Tyler is mostly rotten in one of those gross rear end gore rooms in some klingon ship. They took some brain scans off his corpse and applied them to another brain.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It amused me that Ash and Voq were the same height and build, when Culber states they’ve virtually rebuilt him from the ground up including shortening his limbs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol Tilly wants to do an interdimensional brain therapy and Saru's like "Yeah whatever." Hopefully the lightning shooting into his head is fine because nobody seems concerned about it. Until they do get concerned! His heart stopped and they defibrillate him? Oh writers...

Okay that was a really minor nitpick BUT

Michael's plan is idiotic and there's no reason to suppose they wouldn't have been killed on sight.

The whole scene where Voq exposits at Burnham for five minutes and then knocks the gun out of her hand before someone comes in from out of frame to save her reminds me of post 9/11 spy thriller TV shows in a bad way. It's really, really bad. The way he just paces and menaces her for half the scene while we cut to Martin-Green doing her best shocked and anguished face over and over and then he just disarms and knocks her down, it feels like our lead character has no agency.

I didn't hate this episode in the way that some people in the thread did but it wasn't as good as the previous episode. It looped back to a bunch of modern TV drama cliches, and scenes that kinda spin their wheels for some of the runtime. For example, why the games with Stamets? Nothing happened in the Stamets plot until his last scene. I like Saru and Tilly but they didn't really have anything to do in their scenes together.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 16, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Pastamania posted:

Check out Black Mirror episode, 'USS Callister'

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I am willing to rank it above voyager, and the jury is still out on where it relates to Enterprise. LOL if you think it reaches the lofty heights of TNG or DS9 yet.

Uhh if it ranks above VOY then it by definition ranks HIGHLY above ENT??

Arglebargle III posted:

Michael's plan is idiotic and there's no reason to suppose they wouldn't have been killed on sight.

If a mere two terrans beam down then yeah there's a good reason, namely, finding out what the hell they're playing at when their normal MO is glassing the planet from high orbit.

marktheando posted:

And to those wondering how the people on Discovery knew what was going on with Voq/Tyler, obviously there had to have been communication between Michael and Discovery to set up the whole scheme. But showing it would kill the tension of the scene!

lol who are these people there is literally a scene where Michael gets a call from Captain Killy and Saru?

Episode was great despite some contrivances, but I'd surely love to know how the Emperor's ship managed to get to Harlek within less than one hour. Unless she has the Spore Drive.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
They spent the first half of the season setting up this Mirror Mirror plotline - of course it deserves it. It's the best out of any of the shows Mirror Universes plots. I love you guys but I hate you guys.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

counterfeitsaint posted:

There is no Ash Tyler. Ash Tyler is mostly rotten in one of those gross rear end gore rooms in some klingon ship. They took some brain scans off his corpse and applied them to another brain.
Yeah, they basically did a Jeepers Creepers type thing where Voq is wearing Tyler’s skin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://twitter.com/RealJavidIqbal

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I enjoyed this episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

If a mere two terrans beam down then yeah there's a good reason, namely, finding out what the hell they're playing at when their normal MO is glassing the planet from high orbit.

Yeah that emplaced gun was just shooting friendly greetings at them? The sentries did shoot them on sight and it's only blind luck that they survived long enough to surrender. Oh well, just another thing to handwave.

I think the biggest sin of this episode was Burnham acting like Dana Scully with Voq monologueing at her or the way the entire Stamets subplot could be removed with no effect on anything else.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 16, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah that emplaced gun was just shooting friendly greetings at them? The sentries did shoot them on sight and it's only blind luck that they survived long enough to surrender. Oh well, just another thing to handwave.

It looked like they were obviously shooting to miss. Notice how they were dazed, and shaken after the sudden flurry of explosions all round them.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Sorry I got busy actually doing things instead of answering questions from someone who hates this show but responds to every post in this thread.

Helped a friend build a trellis, though. Chatted about his divorce. Good times.

I really appreciated that these two Mirror episodes helped characters face things about themselves rather than just being high concept plots with not much else going on. And Frakes really killed it directing that last episode. I knew he'd been doing some good work, but DANG.

He pulled some great performances out of the cast, so it's not surprising that the actors can't stop gushing about him.

I wish they had better AVR, though. There's some dialogue here and there that is so obviously recorded in a different location with different acoustics at a different volume that it's just awful.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Geekboy posted:

Sorry I got busy actually doing things instead of answering questions from someone who hates this show but responds to every post in this thread.

Your Facebook status update posted on a comedy website's subforum for hobbies and niche interests sure owned us dismal nerds.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Geekboy posted:

I really appreciated that these two Mirror episodes helped characters face things about themselves rather than just being high concept plots with not much else going on. And Frakes really killed it directing that last episode. I knew he'd been doing some good work, but DANG.

He pulled some great performances out of the cast, so it's not surprising that the actors can't stop gushing about him.

I wish they had better AVR, though. There's some dialogue here and there that is so obviously recorded in a different location with different acoustics at a different volume that it's just awful.

Man, I sure wish I was a fully-functioning adult like you, and not some nerd who was wrong about a Start Truck show. Maybe I will learn someday.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Peachfart posted:

Man, I sure wish I was a fully-functioning adult like you, and not some nerd who was wrong about a Start Truck show. Maybe I will learn someday.

Man, I’m glad I’m not a sperging troll like you. Normal humans stop commenting on threads about shows they hate.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

CaveGrinch posted:

Man, I’m glad I’m not a sperging troll like you. Normal humans stop commenting on threads about shows they hate.

But do they stop commenting about people who hate shows that they like? :thunk:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I only hate one person and that person is Ash Tyler. gently caress that dude.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

CaveGrinch posted:

Sir are you sure you're on the right website?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

The two mirror episodes have been great. The hate watching trekkies are really loving weird.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Superstring posted:

Sir are you sure you're on the right website?

Been around for a long time. The trolls who don’t watch and bitch on threads they don’t care about are getting worse.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

:haw:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Ep was pretty tight I guess. Tight like cool and not like writing and pacing. The writing sucked balls and burnam can't act I think. Sareks evil goatee owned.