Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

Loomer posted:

Hugs and ice cream sandwiches don’t fix broke people. Nothing does except years and years and years of care and sacrifice.

Hence why I’m never having kids. I would probably OD them on ice cream. Then I would be included in this thread.

Content! I don’t recall seeing Douglas Garland mentioned yet. This sicko (allegedly) kidnaped and murdered three people over a petty grudge from years prior. The whole thing is deeply unsettling, from the daughter finding blood all over the house when she went to pick up her son, to an aerial photo of what clearly appears to be the bodies of two adults and a child on the property of the accused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Non mobile link:

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Nathan_O%27Brien,_Kathryn_Liknes_and_Alvin_Liknes

EDIT:
One of the source links that has more information

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/jury-finds-douglas-garland-guilty-of-killing-liknes-couple-grandson-nathan

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Jan 15, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

QUOTE IS NOT EDIT

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s nice to know that Canadians will break their compulsory politeness to savagely beat a child murderer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

For the life of me, I cannot make out bodies in any of those aerial photographs so good on them for figuring it out.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SamLikesCake posted:

Hence why I’m never having kids. I would probably OD them on ice cream. Then I would be included in this thread.

Same here. I had a hard enough time fostering cats and then giving them back to the shelter. I could not imagine fostering a kid and then being told I had to give them back to their abusive, neglectful parents.

I'd probably end up in jail.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

Same here. I had a hard enough time fostering cats and then giving them back to the shelter. I could not imagine fostering a kid and then being told I had to give them back to their abusive, neglectful parents.

I'd probably end up in jail.

WAAAAYY back when I was first getting started in the tech industry I worked at a Children's Advocacy Center. I did things like normal computer janitoring, making sure the 10base2 network was running, and setting up and running the A/V gear.

Which meant I got to listen to a *lot* of Advocate assisted victim interviews with the cops.

I didn't last more than 6 months. I had to go cry in a storeroom more than once after some of them.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Brawnfire posted:

For the life of me, I cannot make out bodies in any of those aerial photographs so good on them for figuring it out.
Is it that area in the center-right of the photo where there's something pink and blue? Whatever that is, it's not a building or a tree, is all I can tell.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Proteus Jones posted:

I didn't last more than 6 months. I had to go cry in a storeroom more than once after some of them.

I feel like I mention this every time I post in the thread, but my job involves reading social work files all day. The only reason I'm still able to do it is because it's marginally easier to read transcripts of these kind of interviews than it is to listen to them (I've listened to a few recordings, and that's more than enough for me).

I've read files from the fifties all the way up to ones that are still being added to right up until the day it comes to release them, and the two consistent things are that people are horrible, and that abuse cycles are so hard to break free of.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Genie was an interesting case of a "feral" child, because at that point there were few confirmed cases of a child subjected to that level of deprivation. She was not spoken to (her father only growled at her); she was largely strapped to a potty chair, and rarely walked; she never left the house. However there is a complication to it, in that her poor treatment stemmed from the fact that her father believed that she was born with special needs. Why exactly he believed this, nobody is sure, because he died before she was discovered.

However there is a more recent case that has perhaps led to better evidence for "environmental autism," which is the idea that autism-like symptoms can be produced by sheer environmental deprivation in childhood. It's mostly sad, but she's appears happy in supported living.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-a8161036.html

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FAAAAAAAR be it from me to stereotype, FAAAAAR be it from me but...uh...well is it just me or do the mugshots of these people all look pretty much exactly the same?

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

wtf? Did someone spend all 29 years of their life chained to a bed? It appears to be saying that all the victims were their children...seems like there's not much information yet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

littlebluellama posted:

wtf? Did someone spend all 29 years of their life chained to a bed? It appears to be saying that all the victims were their children...seems like there's not much information yet.

The victims are all their children.

They didn't their entire lives chained to a bed but if you look at their Facebook photos and the words "freaky-rear end Disney-themed cult" don't spring to mind, I don't know what to tell ya.

https://www.facebook.com/davidlouise.turpin

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Phanatic posted:

They didn't their entire lives chained to a bed but if you look at their Facebook photos and the words "freaky-rear end Disney-themed cult" don't spring to mind, I don't know what to tell ya.

Jesus Christ.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

They both look crazy as hell

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ive been to this emergency room multiple times since it's just down the road from my college holy poo poo man

the american medical system is so hosed and i hate it

i loving hate capitalism so much

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is a small taste of where I see the USA in about a decade. Only 100 times worse.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kanine posted:

ive been to this emergency room multiple times since it's just down the road from my college holy poo poo man

the american medical system is so hosed and i hate it

i loving hate capitalism so much

Welcome.... to the republican party!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Phanatic posted:

Please tell me you took screenshots

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MissEchelon posted:

All the kids looked under 10. The dad had a freaky Prince Valiant cut and the mom was in a Snow White costume. All the kids were in matching neon dresses. It appeared to be a Las Vegas wedding with an Elvis impersonator. The photos were all very surreal.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Welcome.... to the republican party!

what does this mean

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Kanine posted:

what does this mean

It's a reference to the fact that the US has steadily drifted towards laissez-faire economic and social policy since at least Reagan, when he kind of famously enacted policy that ultimately resulted in much of the country's asylum population becoming a significant chunk of the country's homeless population.

Asylums in the US were bad, but since reforming them doesn't immediately generate money in excess of cost the first year of doing so, shuttering them instead was easier. It's probably the same or a similar situation with this hospital; the US healthcare system is for-profit, so in some places there isn't funding or goodwill for taking care of difficult and/or unprofitable patients and they get turned out onto the street. This is especially true when mental healthcare is an issue, because people have been conditioned against the very idea of mental healthcare and its often one of the last line items in public spending to get any consideration.

E: (Just to be clear, the original asylum release policy issue was slightly more complicated than that, but I'm pretty sure all of the above still holds true)

Shady Amish Terror has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Jan 16, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Brawnfire posted:

Reading around, it seems the pictures in question show the bodies very very very obviously, to the point where they're being suppressed outside the courtroom. The shots in the articles are just pictures of the farm from other times.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It's a reference to the fact that the US has steadily drifted towards laissez-faire economic and social policy since at least Reagan, when he kind of famously enacted policy that ultimately resulted in much of the country's asylum population becoming a significant chunk of the country's homeless population.

Asylums in the US were bad, but since reforming them doesn't immediately generate money in excess of cost the first year of doing so, shuttering them instead was easier. It's probably the same or a similar situation with this hospital; the US healthcare system is for-profit, so in some places there isn't funding or goodwill for taking care of difficult and/or unprofitable patients and they get turned out onto the street. This is especially true when mental healthcare is an issue, because people have been conditioned against the very idea of mental healthcare and its often one of the last line items in public spending to get any consideration.

E: (Just to be clear, the original asylum release policy issue was slightly more complicated than that, but I'm pretty sure all of the above still holds true)

ok cool thats what i thought

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MissEchelon posted:

...page is still up?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kanine posted:

ok cool thats what i thought

It's also a reference to a "joke" where a wise and cool dad tells his silly college daughter she should redistribute her good grades so that everyone in her class can have C's or something, and when she balks at this he smugs "welcome to the Republican party" at her

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

...page is still up?

Not when I go to it

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not when I go to it

These pictures were uploaded in 2016 but I guess doesn't necessarily mean that's when they were taken. But if they were, that means some of these kids are in their late twenties.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Depressio111117 posted:

These pictures were uploaded in 2016 but I guess doesn't necessarily mean that's when they were taken. But if they were, that means some of these kids are in their late twenties.
If you know that it's easier to guess which ones. Also unsettling: the fact that most of them are staring into the middle distance, unfocused.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Depressio111117 posted:

Christ, that girl furthest right is so obviously not well. :(

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

eating only apples posted:

Christ, that girl furthest right is so obviously not well. :(

Yeah, if all of those kids look that young, that means they've never gotten adequate nutrition. :smith:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The one holding her sister looks terrified and I'm not sure if it's me projecting. A lot of the smiles look forced but not all of them (which doesn't mean anything about living conditions in general, just that probably some of them enjoy posing for a picture more than others).

It's just an unsettling enough picture even without context, but with it I'm going into overdrive picking over it, which is probably not healthy. I'm just sad.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

More details indicate it was absolutely a quiverfull or quiverfull-adjacent thing, combined with 'strict homeschooling' that consisted of memorizing the bible. When the grandparents last saw their grandkids they apparently didn't think it was weird that their 24 or 25 year old grandkid looked like a mid-teenager.

The parents having no local church and no friends probably contributed to the isolation that let nobody really give a poo poo about these kids until confronted with it. Which is pretty harsh of me, but I don't really mean it that way: people pay attention to what they can see, and they weren't interacting with the family enough to see all or even most of the red flags, I wager. It wouldn't surprise me if people who knew about the older siblings just assumed they'd moved away, and the homeschooling means the siblings probably didn't have any friends in the area either.

I think that picture either must have been taken in 2016 or one of the kids died, because the police indicated 12 people had been found locked up aside from the 17-year-old who escaped and got help, and the youngest was 2 years old, and there's 13 'children' in that picture. I'm having a hard time eyeballing how old that baby might be, though, but best case she's the one who's 2 now?

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

PetraCore posted:

I think that picture either must have been taken in 2016 or one of the kids died, because the police indicated 12 people had been found locked up aside from the 17-year-old who escaped and got help, and the youngest was 2 years old, and there's 13 'children' in that picture. I'm having a hard time eyeballing how old that baby might be, though, but best case she's the one who's 2 now?

I'm trying to understand what you're saying here -- there's 13 children in the picture and the reports are all saying that there are 13 children. 12 children locked up aside from the 17-year-old who escaped the house makes 13 children?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

I'm trying to understand what you're saying here -- there's 13 children in the picture and the reports are all saying that there are 13 children. 12 children locked up aside from the 17-year-old who escaped the house makes 13 children?

It's 2018 and the picture was taken in 2016, and the youngest child is 2, so that baby is under 1 year old in that picture and isn't just a stunted toddler. (The death thing wasn't serious speculation but just me trying to grasp the timeline, I realized after I posted it was needlessly dark.)

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Depressio111117 posted:

cometodaddy.jpg

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Depressio111117 posted:

Some of them are a bit odd looking, but that doesn't mean you can just age them in dog years.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
I think no matter where you are on the political spectrum, that guys haircut should at anytime constitute probable cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jxforema posted:

I think no matter where you are on the political spectrum, that guys haircut should at anytime constitute probable cause.

he reminds me of boris johnson tbh