Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah a few days ago I decided to solo drop on the northern island off the east coast and wound up with a chicken dinner. The gear there was pretty good and I'll probably be going back every now and then.

It's weird. I heard about it in this thread, but every time I've dropped to this point the gear was terrible and no boats. And then the circle would be on the other side of the island. So I was getting a little salty about them. But today they've been on fire for me. Now I just need some coffee or something and I might start doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

It's those pants that are regrettable!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's those pants that are regrettable!

Oh, I'm selling them as soon as I'm able to since they're goofy and people are willing to pay almost $25 for them. I usually have black slacks on with that shirt.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
So after playing a shitload of FPP since 1.0 I think I've come to a conclusion that a lot of the times I was calling hackers last season were, in fact, due to lag manifesting as extremely suspect deaths.

I was playing a game yesterday and I was copping a bit of network lag for some reason, I killed a dude but his partner flicked me really good. So I watched the death cam and holy poo poo on their screen the guy I killed dies almost instantly despite being at full health, giving the impression I was using aims to get all headshots or whatever when in actuality I missed a reasonable amount due to the full-auto spray. The really big tell was that, in the deathcam, the gunshots (a silenced SCAR) sound SUPER fast, like, faster than a UMP, and they all appear to connect at once.

Now, I'm a network expert but I'm not a network programmer so I could be wrong but after watching that clip and reviewing some of the ones I previously logged as hackers what seems to happen (in simple form) is:

- I see the dudes, and start spraying
- The ticks/updates from my client to the server containing the data that "hey this dude is sprayin here" reaches the server
- Something causes those ticks to be queued, perhaps an acknowledgement is missed or something has been lost in transit
- That error corrects itself, and all the data that was queued is processed at once
- The server updates all the clients, i.e the poor prick on the other side, with all of the updates since the last tick
- The updates weren't discarded nor smoothed so all the shots register at once, giving the impression of an impossibly fast fire rate and instant death

This explains so many deaths I've had that I thought were by the hands of cheaters and also why FPP seems so much better - those with high latency and the shittiest internet connections (Chinese players) don't play FPP.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is there like, even a point to a level 1 or 2 helmet or should I start looking for fashion hats? I just got ohko via an m16 wearing an undamaged level 2 at full health. like wtf is the point?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Uh if he bursts you sure it's an ohko but helmets very obviously reduce damage.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Is there like, even a point to a level 1 or 2 helmet or should I start looking for fashion hats? I just got ohko via an m16 wearing an undamaged level 2 at full health. like wtf is the point?

That wasn't an ohko, one headshot bullet from an m16 into a level 2 helmet does about 60% of your HP iirc.

(headshots are roughly 2-2.5x damage compared to body shots, right?)

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 16, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Magres posted:

That wasn't an ohko, one headshot bullet from an m16 into a level 2 helmet does about 60% of your HP iirc.

(headshots are roughly 2.5x damage compared to body shots, right?)

Well it was one shot. Not a burst. I think I recorded the death cam, I'll see if I can find it, not that it matters.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Well it was one shot. Not a burst. I think I recorded the death cam, I'll see if I can find it, not that it matters.

Someone else may have shot you at about the same time. :shrug: The other day I had what seemed like an ohko from full hp to a Mini-14 headshot while wearing an undamaged level 2 helmet (ie something that also can't happen, Mini-14 headshots on a level 2 helmet deal about 65 damage) and was baffled until my teammate picked me up and my formerly undamaged vest was also torn basically in half, and then the duo we were fighting knocked him when he peaked and the knock-hit was a Kar98. My ohko was actually a Kar98 bodyshot and a Mini-14 headshot within about half a second of each other. Groups syncing up to put multiple shots into someone all at the same time, while not super common in my experience, is definitely something that happens and is good and smart play.

If you were solo, idk what to tell you. Might have been fuckers teaming or a glitch or something, but that shouldn't happen. A lot of weapons are one hit kill to the head if you don't have a helmet, looking at this chart off googling for pubg headshot damage, everything that isn't a pistol (or shotgun if they whiff most of the shot) will ohko on a headshot if you don't have a helmet, and won't if you even have a level 1.

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 16, 2018

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I just got my first really long range kill, I managed to hit a dude 650m away on a hill with a silenced kar98k. His entire squad was too scared to go out and pick him up so he ended up dying when he really shouldn't have. Super satisfying.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

M16 burst isn’t very good...

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Premature posted:

I just got my first really long range kill, I managed to hit a dude 650m away on a hill with a silenced kar98k. His entire squad was too scared to go out and pick him up so he ended up dying when he really shouldn't have. Super satisfying.

How I imagine the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XNyNAjF1m0

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Magres posted:

Someone else may have shot you at about the same time. :shrug: The other day I had what seemed like an ohko from full hp to a Mini-14 headshot while wearing an undamaged level 2 helmet (ie something that also can't happen, Mini-14 headshots on a level 2 helmet deal about 65 damage) and was baffled until my teammate picked me up and my formerly undamaged vest was also torn basically in half, and then the duo we were fighting knocked him when he peaked and the knock-hit was a Kar98. My ohko was actually a Kar98 bodyshot and a Mini-14 headshot within about half a second of each other. Groups syncing up to put multiple shots into someone all at the same time, while not super common in my experience, is definitely something that happens and is good and smart play.

If you were solo, idk what to tell you. Might have been fuckers teaming or a glitch or something, but that shouldn't happen. A lot of weapons are one hit kill to the head if you don't have a helmet, looking at this chart off googling for pubg headshot damage, everything that isn't a pistol (or shotgun if they whiff most of the shot) will ohko on a headshot if you don't have a helmet, and won't if you even have a level 1.

lmao, I finally went back and looked and I grabbed something else off the ground instead of equipping the level 2 helmet. Always use tab to loot friends.

Looking back on it the guy had the drop on me anyway so even if I had survived the first shout I doubt I could have 180 no scoped him or anything.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hi, hello, I'd like two orders of your finest avocados on toast. No, I wouldn't prefer to have a sandwich.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hi, hello, I'd like two orders of your finest avocados on toast. No, I wouldn't prefer to have a sandwich.

:lol: Love the floral shirt. It also pairs well with the white school jacket I have.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Is that a pocket below the kneecap the fuuuuuuck

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ugh the cheating is out of control on this game :(

just got headshotted from 100 yds through a bale of hay by a dude with a S686

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
All you guys with your nice clothes all I have is common crap despite opening many chests! :argh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Le0 posted:

All you guys with your nice clothes all I have is common crap despite opening many chests! :argh:

[Ask] me about my extensive collection of identical baseball caps. :negative:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Le0 posted:

Stop opening chests, sell them and use the money to buy pretty clothes for your toy soldier.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

abigserve posted:

So after playing a shitload of FPP since 1.0 I think I've come to a conclusion that a lot of the times I was calling hackers last season were, in fact, due to lag manifesting as extremely suspect deaths.

I was playing a game yesterday and I was copping a bit of network lag for some reason, I killed a dude but his partner flicked me really good. So I watched the death cam and holy poo poo on their screen the guy I killed dies almost instantly despite being at full health, giving the impression I was using aims to get all headshots or whatever when in actuality I missed a reasonable amount due to the full-auto spray. The really big tell was that, in the deathcam, the gunshots (a silenced SCAR) sound SUPER fast, like, faster than a UMP, and they all appear to connect at once.

Now, I'm a network expert but I'm not a network programmer so I could be wrong but after watching that clip and reviewing some of the ones I previously logged as hackers what seems to happen (in simple form) is:

- I see the dudes, and start spraying
- The ticks/updates from my client to the server containing the data that "hey this dude is sprayin here" reaches the server
- Something causes those ticks to be queued, perhaps an acknowledgement is missed or something has been lost in transit
- That error corrects itself, and all the data that was queued is processed at once
- The server updates all the clients, i.e the poor prick on the other side, with all of the updates since the last tick
- The updates weren't discarded nor smoothed so all the shots register at once, giving the impression of an impossibly fast fire rate and instant death

This explains so many deaths I've had that I thought were by the hands of cheaters and also why FPP seems so much better - those with high latency and the shittiest internet connections (Chinese players) don't play FPP.

Desync is real.

I was playing yesterday (for the first time in ages) and got into a shoot out with some guy, he hit me once with his double barrel so I decided to retreat, I rounded a corner and then about 2 seconds later I just get offed, I was certain there was a third guy taking advantage of our firefight and taking me out from the flank but no, the death cam showed the guy I was fighting with taking a shot roughly 2 seconds after I was already out of sight and getting the kill; just some lovely severe desync, but I guess that's life in this sort of game.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Some interesting news on the hacker front.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-16/tencent-cracks-down-on-cheats-in-world-s-top-selling-video-game

quote:

t’s helped law enforcement agents uncover at least 30 cases and arrest 120 people suspected of designing programs that confer unfair advantages from X-Ray vision (see-through walls) to auto-targeting (uncannily accurate snipers). Those convicted in the past have done jail time.

Also, people appear to be quitting.

edit. lol at bloomberg for this graphic

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

daslog posted:

:captainpop:

Always interesting when stuff like this is in the mainstream press.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

daslog posted:

Some interesting news on the hacker front.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-16/tencent-cracks-down-on-cheats-in-world-s-top-selling-video-game

Also, people appear to be quitting.

Fortnite is taking a huge chunk out of the game, 40m accounts and 2m concurrent.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fortnite is taking a huge chunk out of the game, 40m accounts and 2m concurrent.

the thing is though, fortnite sucks

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
How to die properly

https://streamable.com/bj5te

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

underage at the vape shop posted:

the thing is though, fortnite sucks

Doesn't matter, it is pulling the number.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I let friends who prefer TPP drag me along into that mode sometimes and over the weekend every single match had at least one obvious hacker either killing us while skating around which we'd catch via deathcam or we would see a name that is just random letters/numbers scoring way too many kills.

So yeah it's easy for me to believe that the average player who doesn't even seem to be aware of FPP as an option or refuses to play non-thirdperson would ditch PUBG for Fortnite over hackers.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Elman posted:

Stop opening chests, sell them and use the money to buy pretty clothes for your toy soldier.

Yeah I'm going to start doing that but I had to setup the authenticator thingy otherwise chests are held by Gaben for an ungodly amount of time before appearing on the market.

Also, isn't Fortnite also plagued by the same amount of cheaters than PUBG?

I ment to ask a question also, what is better a lvl3 helmet nearly completely destroyed or a lvl2 helmet brand new? What about the same but for armor?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

couldn't you tell us how to cheat properly instead, VACumos?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Le0 posted:

I ment to ask a question also, what is better a lvl3 helmet nearly completely destroyed or a lvl2 helmet brand new? What about the same but for armor?

I usually just equip them both and pick the one with the higher armor number. I don't know if there's more nuance to it than that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It is absolutely the lvl3 helmet with little to no health left. If you have a broken level 3 helmet on with full health, a kar98 cannot kill you. Use higher level armor until it is entirely gone. That number is the durability number, not how much damage it's going to block.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Elman posted:

I usually just equip them both and pick the one with the higher armor number. I don't know if there's more nuance to it than that.

there is. in this situation the level 3 would only be able to withstand one shot but it would negate much more damage than the level 2 for that one shot- while the level 2 wouldn't negate as much but could plausibly be hit more than once.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
Does anyone know the frequency (Hz) range for footsteps in this game? I'd like to boost them for my tins.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Tencent is now developing two versions of PUBG for mobile, on top of two other hastily created copycat titles.

lol did they make the one where it has arnold from T2 parachuting down as the splash screen??

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bouchehog posted:

Does anyone know the frequency (Hz) range for footsteps in this game? I'd like to boost them for my tins.

The samples used are situational, indoors they're boomy and hollow while outdoors have more mid and high range content when you crumple the grass and poo poo, not to mention that those same frequency ranges are usually also occupied by other poo poo that happens during the game, like guns.

In general using an EQ to boost or remove singular sources within a full range mix will always have plenty of side effects. Maybe a multiband-compressor focused on a narrow region might work, but probably not. Who knows.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Find PC numbers or this is fake news.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My nephews love it...the visual style is much more appealing to tweens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

Find PC numbers or this is fake news.

Don't think they'll give PC numbers specifically. Even if we assume it's 2/2/1 split in favour of consoles, that's still 400k concurrent. That's a lot of people for a Nickelodeon cartoon peashooter BR.