Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zaodai posted:

If Rogue can get ahold of her to throw her off a mountain, and she truly just wants to kill Dazzler, couldn't she just take her gloves off and siphon her to death in a couple seconds?

For that matter, why is she even wearing gloves if this is her villain phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zaodai posted:

If Rogue can get ahold of her to throw her off a mountain, and she truly just wants to kill Dazzler, couldn't she just take her gloves off and siphon her to death in a couple seconds?

That dialogue is hilariously lovely though. Truly, no better way to deliver exposition.

Sure, if she wants to get Alison stuck in her brain forever the way she did Carol. Since this is the era where that gently caress up was prominent, it makes sense that pulping Dazzler is more appealing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What's up with Rogue right now anyway? I haven't read xmen since Morrison left

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

purple death ray posted:

She was the leader of Uncanny Avengers, but I'm not sure what she's been up to since that ended and the X-books relaunched. I feel like I saw her on one of the teams but I'm not sure.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

His real name is Blackagar Boltagon
Please do not slander Kirby with Gruenwald's sins.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

purple death ray posted:

She's in the rogue and gambit mini

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

Please do not slander Kirby with Gruenwald's sins.

Whatever Ghostagar Lightagon.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How long was Rogue a villain for? My main touchpoint with her is the 90's X-Men cartoon, so even though I know she was bad and stole Ms. Marvel's powers, I never really 'knew' her as a villain.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Rick Jones knows to torture someone...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

How long was Rogue a villain for? My main touchpoint with her is the 90's X-Men cartoon, so even though I know she was bad and stole Ms. Marvel's powers, I never really 'knew' her as a villain.

Only a year or so. Absorbing Carol's memories started driving her crazy, so she sought out Xavier for help not long after.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GPTribefan posted:

Rick Jones knows to torture someone...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nu-Metal really was just the worst

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wonder how many turntable dudes who were in 90s rap rock bands were just the unemployed trumpet players from 90s Ska bands trying to feed their families

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Iron Man #150

Iron Man #250

Sadly this tradition did not go forward with other Iron Man #x50s, in part due to the issues not existing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nipponophile posted:

Only a year or so. Absorbing Carol's memories started driving her crazy, so she sought out Xavier for help not long after.

A year? Did she spend all of it trying to kill Dazzler then? I do remember that when Rogue and Allison joined the team, the latter was seemingly always giving Rogue poo poo for it and any excuse to shoot her was eagerly taken.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
If they revisit the idea, I would love to see them run into themselves a la Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

I'm re-reading that Captain Marvel run on Unlimited now and it's a gold mine for this thread. That run up until the "U-Decide" disaster was sooooooo much fun - Micronau... I mean Microns, Drax, Moondragon, Super Skrull, the whole "millennium" debate - Peter David was knocking it out of the park and Chris Cross' art reflected the fun he was having.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I really dug that comic, and Cross' art seemed like a perfect fit for the kind of off-kilter goofy stuff that was happening in it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Sentinel Red posted:

A year? Did she spend all of it trying to kill Dazzler then? I do remember that when Rogue and Allison joined the team, the latter was seemingly always giving Rogue poo poo for it and any excuse to shoot her was eagerly taken.

Pretty much. Avengers Annual #10 (the Time To Unfuck Carol Danvers issue) was Rogue's debut in late '81. She popped up in X-Men #158 (fighting the X-Men in the Pentagon) and a ROM storyline, then three issues of Dazzler, then took three issues off, then two MORE issues of Dazzler. So she spent more time in Dazzler's book than anywhere else before Mastermind messed with her head and drove her to seek Xavier's help, which is how she ended up joining the X-Men.

Also, she had strong feelings about walnuts.

(Dazzler #24)

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Iron Man #150

Iron Man #250

Sadly this tradition did not go forward with other Iron Man #x50s, in part due to the issues not existing.

It's only a model. :colbert:

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

SilverSupernova posted:

It's only a model. :colbert:

Shhh!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GPTribefan posted:

Gruenwald basically pitched it as a way to clean up the trash that was sitting around and force writers to come up with new and better villains. Most of what he killed off were losers who barely appeared anymore or really really old villains that were collecting dust. The big one he wanted to off was Kraven the Hunter, but the Spider-office nixed it in favor of the "Kraven's Last Hunt" story. Looking back at the list, there wasn't anyone of note on there. Although I always liked the Melter 😔

If I remember correctly, he later said he regretted doing it because any crappy character could be redeemed in the right circumstances.

Matt Fraction did something similar in his Punisher run. He had Frank kill Stilt-Man and then during Stilt-Man's wake at the villain bar Frank was undercover as the bartender where he proceeded to poison everyone's drinks and then blow the bar up.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It seems really weird that supervillains would give enough of a poo poo about some rando like stilt man to attend his wake.

And it just makes Frank seem like even more of an rear end in a top hat, really. Maybe that was intentional.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
All the c and d listers chill at the villain bars together, showing out to funerals is just what you do as part of the club

And Frank blowing up stilt man was pretty funny imo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

All the c and d listers chill at the villain bars together, showing out to funerals is just what you do as part of the club

And Frank blowing up stilt man was pretty funny imo

Did Stilt Man ever kill anyone? I don't like Frank killing criminals who aren't also killers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I... actually have no idea. I'm not too up on my stilt man lore

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Iron Man #150

Iron Man #250

I’m now disappointed Hickman didn’t do this at some point during his run.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

mind the walrus posted:

Nu-Metal really was just the worst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T_AYhq7oMQ

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

Did Stilt Man ever kill anyone? I don't like Frank killing criminals who aren't also killers
At the very least he has two attempted murders to his name

The best part is Frank killed him while he was an official government agent.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Random Stranger posted:

Iron Man #150

Iron Man #250

There was a third part to this Ironman/Dr. Doom feud.
It was a 2008 mini series Ironman: The Legacy of Doom.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

delfin posted:

Pretty much. Avengers Annual #10 (the Time To Unfuck Carol Danvers issue) was Rogue's debut in late '81. She popped up in X-Men #158 (fighting the X-Men in the Pentagon) and a ROM storyline, then three issues of Dazzler, then took three issues off, then two MORE issues of Dazzler. So she spent more time in Dazzler's book than anywhere else before Mastermind messed with her head and drove her to seek Xavier's help, which is how she ended up joining the X-Men.

Also, she had strong feelings about walnuts.

(Dazzler #24)

Did Xavier also fix it so that she didn't talk like a Tennessee Williams character? She's always had an accent but I don't remember it being Gambit levels of ridiculous.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Did Xavier also fix it so that she didn't talk like a Tennessee Williams character? She's always had an accent but I don't remember it being Gambit levels of ridiculous.

Her accent only seemed moderate in comparison to Gambit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah get so sick when Ah read dialogue with Rogue and Ah can't help but see Ah at least twice in Mah vision

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rogue dialog is still nowhere near as bad as Moira McTaggart dialog.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Or loving Banshee. His god drat dialog was impenetrable in the late 80s. Which I supposed is pretty accurate, but still.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

I spent years not knowing how to pronounce her first name. Everything I thought of sounded wrong to me.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Endless Mike posted:

Moira McTaggert dialog is still nowhere near as bad as Rahne Sinclair dialog.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

prefect posted:

Her accent only seemed moderate in comparison to Gambit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!