Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The_White_Crane posted:

Has anyone tried the Unbogus Fallout Overhaul or Immersive Gameplay and if so, how are they?
I want something which rebalances the game in a similar sort of way to Horizon, particularly with regards to the horrible health-bloat that happens at high levels, but Horizon is just getting too big for my tastes.

I'm not far into a Horizon playthrough, but I tried Unbogus in parts. I like the feats, and the health values helped. I didn't try the full overhaul.

And I can understand the trepidation over Horizon's scope. I am boggled by all the different elements at this point. Most frustrating right now are things like "simple" meals requiring more ingredients than I can get my hands on, and apparently you can't sleep while you have an infection...and sleeping is how you save the game unless you have those save consumables. :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm not far into a Horizon playthrough, but I tried Unbogus in parts. I like the feats, and the health values helped. I didn't try the full overhaul.

And I can understand the trepidation over Horizon's scope. I am boggled by all the different elements at this point. Most frustrating right now are things like "simple" meals requiring more ingredients than I can get my hands on, and apparently you can't sleep while you have an infection...and sleeping is how you save the game unless you have those save consumables. :what:

Get Sleep or Save.

Or alternatively just enable regular saves with any of a billion mods since Horizon now includes a death handling system that means you only need them for crash/bug protection anyway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I went ahead and got a mod for that.

Does Horizon not work with Rise of the Commonwealth, yet? I have the Sim Settlements City Manager desk set up but it doesn't have the supply drawer or interactivity with the blue print to put someone in charge of a town.

I am really enjoying the gameplay difference in the shooting and healing that comes with Horizon but really, really want to see my settlers build huge towns with Rise of the Commonwealth, and so I'm torn.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yeah, I went ahead and got a mod for that.

Does Horizon not work with Rise of the Commonwealth, yet? I have the Sim Settlements City Manager desk set up but it doesn't have the supply drawer or interactivity with the blue print to put someone in charge of a town.

I am really enjoying the gameplay difference in the shooting and healing that comes with Horizon but really, really want to see my settlers build huge towns with Rise of the Commonwealth, and so I'm torn.

Grab the desk and move it slightly to refresh it. Is the terminal on the left or the right?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a specific separate patch for the most recent version of Sim Settlements you have to get from the Horizon page - the one that comes with the main mod download is for an older version.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Glazius posted:

Grab the desk and move it slightly to refresh it. Is the terminal on the left or the right?

The left.

edit: And moving the desk doesn't seem to do anything.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's a specific separate patch for the most recent version of Sim Settlements you have to get from the Horizon page - the one that comes with the main mod download is for an older version.

Is it Sim Settlements 3.0 patch (temporary patch update)? I have that. If there's another patch you mean, then I don't see where that is.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 16, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ultra Carp
So the group that's working on remaking New Vegas in Fallout 4 has a website up, which has some interesting info. Most notably they seem to really have their poo poo together, which is impressive for this kind of project.

On a related note, apparently there's a similar effort to remake 3, and they've got a good-looking trailer up:

https://twitter.com/RoadToLibertyFO/status/952754126269636608

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So the group that's working on remaking New Vegas in Fallout 4 has a website up, which has some interesting info. Most notably they seem to really have their poo poo together, which is impressive for this kind of project.

On a related note, apparently there's a similar effort to remake 3, and they've got a good-looking trailer up:

https://twitter.com/RoadToLibertyFO/status/952754126269636608

Are they actually rebuilding the whole thing by hand, or are they converting New Vegas assets to work in Fallout 4 somehow?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ultra Carp

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are they actually rebuilding the whole thing by hand, or are they converting New Vegas assets to work in Fallout 4 somehow?

From what I've seen, it's a mix of both. They've already got a couple mods for some guns and armor up on the Nexus, and they mention in the FAQ that a legit copy of New Vegas will be required to install their mod. My guess is that they'll be hand-building the majority of assets and scripting, and then importing things like music and dialogue files from New Vegas so they don't have to bother replicating the VA. It's a pretty gargantuan challenge, but it seems well organized (The FAQ implies they have a very strict scope of what they are and aren't doing for the project, for instance), so it'll be interesting to see how far they get before it inevitably collapses.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 16, 2018

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
One thing I noticed in the videos they posted before is how they are actually attempting to recreate the NV UI and character building in Fo4. If they pull that off then it'll be rather amazing, and a big improvement over vanilla IMO.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Okay, I'm pretty much stuck in horizon.
I'm decked out in medium combat armor with the second level enhancement, level 15. I cannot get past the synths in Fort Hagen, they slice through my HP like nothing and I can't alpha strike them with double buckshot or API rounds.

What am I doing wrong?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are you aiming for the arms? That's their weak point.
Boost your energy DR a bit more with disposable ablative pads and some fresh water.
Take lots of drugs.
Switch your gun to full-auto. Unlike vanilla every bullet still hurts just as much and there's a lot more of them coming out.

IMO VATS is the secret to breaking Horizon over your knee. I stacked VATS accuracy boosts until i could reliably target weakpoints at over 85% accuracy. A three-round-burst or two to the weakpoint kills most things.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Post poste posted:

Okay, I'm pretty much stuck in horizon.
I'm decked out in medium combat armor with the second level enhancement, level 15. I cannot get past the synths in Fort Hagen, they slice through my HP like nothing and I can't alpha strike them with double buckshot or API rounds.

What am I doing wrong?

Couple things. Increase your ER. By level 10 (Outcast/Desolation) I had enough of a suit of power armor that I could use alloys to buff up the ER on all of the pieces. Then I used the ZX-1 Experimentation Lab to build a shotgun with a ton of VATS cost reductions in order to aim at their weak points. I used demolition expert to build a ton of improvised mines and grenades and used them liberally all over the place, kiting the Synths towards them. And I used Auto-Hackers to disable the turrets, because they will chip at your health like crazy if you aren't careful.

That's just one approach. I'm sure there are a bunch others. Good luck!

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I have no power armor and I haven't been spamming VATS.

I am bad at video games. Thanks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Post poste posted:

If you're bad use VATS. Its literally what its there for.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Trying the Unbogus Overhaul while I figure out why I can't get Rise of the Commonwealth to work: Playing it on Very Hard or Survival, radroaches and molerats take a half dozen rounds apiece. And I don't remember bloatflies going off like machine guns. Frankly, they were much easier to deal with in Horizon, despite everyone calling that the "hard mode" mod. I can't say it feels great after trying Horizon, though maybe its one of those that evens out as you level up; the mod's description certainly makes it seem so.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 16, 2018

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Zore posted:

If you're bad use VATS. Its literally what its there for.

Yeah, I made a run in some lovely power armor and used VATs, but the loving gatling lasers and numbers of them still cut me down. I'll just start over in a few days and build with more focus on looting, blacksmithing, etc instead of a lot of computer // locksmith and medical crafting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In the ZX lab i favor the +dmg-to-uninjured property. One shot, one kill.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Post poste posted:

Your choice of the word "spamming" suggests that you think it's some kind of unfair or cheesy tactic. It's not. Once you get a handle on Horizon you could definitely try challenging yourself by not using VATS, but there's nothing wrong with leaning on it as you get used to the different combat situations in Horizon.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

horse mans posted:

Your choice of the word "spamming" suggests that you think it's some kind of unfair or cheesy tactic. It's not. Once you get a handle on Horizon you could definitely try challenging yourself by not using VATS, but there's nothing wrong with leaning on it as you get used to the different combat situations in Horizon.

Eh, I have been using it a bit, but it just interrupts the flow of combat to run backwards and hide behind a crate while VATs recharges.
I've been playing it like it's not survival, so I need to relearn, because on Normal, VATS is just a time waster.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

horse mans posted:

It is extremely powerful though. Take high PER and AGI (spend your VANS points is you need to), buy up Marksman and Deadeye, learn Killshot from McCreedy, build some +vats glasses, build your weapon to have +vats-accuracy. Every bullet you fire will go precisely where you intend.

Btw dont forget to pick a specialization at level 15 for +25% damage.

Post poste posted:

Eh, I have been using it a bit, but it just interrupts the flow of combat to run backwards and hide behind a crate while VATs recharges.
I've been playing it like it's not survival, so I need to relearn, because on Normal, VATS is just a time waster.

With Agi 9, Action Boy, the Commando chestpiece and a weapon with mods chosen for minimum vats cost (avoid stocks, scopes, extended mags etc) you don't need to spend much time outside vats.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 16, 2018

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

It is extremely powerful though. Take high PER and AGI (spend your VANS points is you need to), buy up Marksman and Deadeye, learn Killshot from McCreedy, build some +vats glasses, build your weapon to have +vats-accuracy. Every bullet you fire will go precisely where you intend.

Btw dont forget to pick a specialization at level 15 for +25% damage.

With Agi 9, Action Boy, the Commando chestpiece and a weapon with mods chosen for minimum vats cost (avoid stocks, scopes, extended mags etc) you don't need to spend much time outside vats.

When vanilla Fallout 4 can be broken just by buying the right weapon, I'm fine with lining up all those ducks in order to take advantage of VATS.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say in Horizon that combat armour isn't particularly good, or rather it's no better than any of the others and is harder to get upgrades for. It's general purpose armour but I think Metal is more or less better almost all the time, but a bit heavier. The bulk of your upgrades are going to be from better materials, not heavier pieces as well. Try and get some of the unique metal pieces from vendors because they often come with high end materials on them, there should be lots of stuff you can sell and vendor credit can be turned into caps effectively.

Also you should have quite a lot of hitpoints, the issue is going to be replenishing them, but going into a synth nest is the kind of thing you want to stockpile healing for. Same with ammo, as said full auto will slaughter almost anything at the cost of burning your ammo stockpile but that's what it's for, you spend ammo to make progress on hard missions.

Also yeah that mission is basically made for power armour so it'd be a good idea to get some. Even a suit of T45 in basic, non-busted condition will make you a lot tougher.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 16, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's almost impossible to get a full set of anything though, except by joining the Brotherhood.

My good early -game armor came from saving a ton of caps then running around buying a full set of legendary combat armor. The legendary pieces are medium/fibreglass or even heavy/polymer.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 16, 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Trying the Unbogus Overhaul while I figure out why I can't get Rise of the Commonwealth to work: Playing it on Very Hard or Survival, radroaches and molerats take a half dozen rounds apiece. And I don't remember bloatflies going off like machine guns. Frankly, they were much easier to deal with in Horizon, despite everyone calling that the "hard mode" mod. I can't say it feels great after trying Horizon, though maybe its one of those that evens out as you level up; the mod's description certainly makes it seem so.

Hmm.
Not too promising. The mod's description did mention it was designed for Very Hard, not Survival, but if you tried it on that and still had problems... Mm.
Well, thanks for the info.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I would say in Horizon that combat armour isn't particularly good, or rather it's no better than any of the others and is harder to get upgrades for. It's general purpose armour but I think Metal is more or less better almost all the time, but a bit heavier.

Arguably yes, but not against synths specifically. Though frankly I've never found that any armor works particularly well against them; I've been in full PA with decent ER and still felt like I was getting cut to ribbons.

I'll endorse "switch to full auto and target their weak spot in VATS" as a good strategy for basically any enemy, and would also like to say that in Horizon you can usually brute force a problem by expending more resources. Converting the caps or rare materials you've been saving into healing, explosives, consumable buffs and special ammo can usually allow you to briefly go nova and clear out one dungeon.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Is it possible to have multiple Horizon playthroughs or do they just keep saving over each other?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

8 Ball posted:

Is it possible to have multiple Horizon playthroughs or do they just keep saving over each other?

The autosaves will work however autosaves work in vanilla, unless you set them to be real saves - which come to think of it they may be by default?

Either way you can just make a manual save at the end of your session with a character and you'll be 100% fine all the time.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

How would I go about replacing all instances of that god awful Lewis assault rifle model with something less bad like the chinese or m16?

i dont want to add stuff, just replace that one gun in the level lists.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Pound_Coin posted:

How would I go about replacing all instances of that god awful Lewis assault rifle model with something less bad like the chinese or m16?

i dont want to add stuff, just replace that one gun in the level lists.

You could probably do it by just downloading another assault rifle mod and then renaming the model file to override the one for the default. Then you wouldn't have to gently caress with levelled lists, you'd literally just be replacing its appearance.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

This is the playthrough that I'm preparing to record for YouTube. http://horsemans.online/fallout4/pilgrim/

Any thoughts/additions to the mod list I should consider?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

horse mans posted:

This is the playthrough that I'm preparing to record for YouTube. http://horsemans.online/fallout4/pilgrim/

Any thoughts/additions to the mod list I should consider?

Don't use Pilgrim because it makes the footage nigh unwatchable?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yeah, I think a big difference between Video Games and Movies is that movie cinematography & editing are done in a way that don't require you to pay attention to too many things at once. With an ENB like that you are loosing alot of detail, and consequently the ability for people watching to quickly recognize and identify the relevant stuff onscreen is diminished. It makes it much more cinematic, but unless you are planning on doing hundred of hours of reshoots, slomotion scenes, and post effects I think it's going to be really hard to watch.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

With my testing so far, I don't think the ENB causes a significant loss of detail: https://imgur.com/gallery/giaM4

EDIT: I also plan on using night-vision goggles as soon as I can get them, which will add to the atmosphere and help enable getting through things at night, visibly.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 16, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

horse mans posted:

With my testing so far, I don't think the ENB causes a significant loss of detail: https://imgur.com/gallery/giaM4

Yes, now record it, convert it to a sane file size, and then upload it to Youtube and see what it looks like after a few layers of compression and changes to the bitrate.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Yes, now record it, convert it to a sane file size, and then upload it to Youtube and see what it looks like after a few layers of compression and changes to the bitrate.

Understood, but wouldn't that apply in any case? Fallout at night is Fallout at night, and most players use Darker Nights at least, and I imagine most ENBs decrease overall contrast and add visual complexity. Is the answer just to use vanilla Fallout rendering?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
If you want to record it, yeah.

There's a reason Bethesda didn't go with the bespoke ENBs people go crazy with and its mostly because they make the game muddy and unwatchable unless your rig is really good. And when you record you lose a lot of visual detail due to compression and bitrate.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I found Pilgrim pretty unbearable just from an aesthetic standpoint. But we've already discovered that my standards for "unbearable" are apparently pretty weird, so don't put too much stock in that.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

To each their own. I've already put about 30 hours into a PILGRIM playthrough and I've loved it, but I see why it wouldn't be ideal for recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

horse mans posted:

Understood, but wouldn't that apply in any case? Fallout at night is Fallout at night, and most players use Darker Nights at least, and I imagine most ENBs decrease overall contrast and add visual complexity. Is the answer just to use vanilla Fallout rendering?

Most ENB's decrease contrast, sure, because most ENB's are terrible and crush the poo poo out of blacks while dumping tons of exaggerated "filmic" effects into the picture. A lot of what Pilgrim does happens before the postprocessing aspects of ENB. It modifies image spaces, weather patterns and climate settings to change a lot of what the in game lighting looks like. It doesn't actually decrease contrast much (if at all) IIRC.

The problem you're going to run into is largely just that most of the picture is very dark, very desaturated and there's a lot of movement in an FPS, which need higher bitrates. For example, here's a comparison between a source capture and the final upload of The Witcher 3 on Youtube.