Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

redgubbinz posted:

Oh man, is that the new Ford Jetta? Nice!

Fixed for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Q_res posted:

Wow, so...

2011 -> Switch from IRS to Twist Beam

2014 -> Back to IRS

2019 -> Twist Beam again

What the actual gently caress Volkswagen?

GM does the same boneheaded thing with their small cars - both the Cruze and the Astra have switched between IRS and beam depending on trim and year.

The Aussies make things even worse by mixing and matching model names depending on what stock they can get for what price - at the moment you can buy an ‘Astra’ sedan (which is the Cruze) or a proper Astra hatch/wagon.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dissss posted:

GM does the same boneheaded thing with their small cars - both the Cruze and the Astra have switched between IRS and beam depending on trim and year.

The Aussies make things even worse by mixing and matching model names depending on what stock they can get for what price - at the moment you can buy an ‘Astra’ sedan (which is the Cruze) or a proper Astra hatch/wagon.

I wonder how much of it is just so they can advertise "Now for 20XX - independent rear suspension!" or "Now for 20XX - torsion beam rear suspension!"

Most people don't know or care about the difference, and either can be marketed as an "improvement."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New Ram. 225lbs lighter, now with cooled rear seats, power lift gate, available mild hybrid on both V6 and V8, 12' touchscreen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This looks a lot better than the Chevy posted earlier.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

New Ram. 225lbs lighter, now with cooled rear seats, power lift gate, available mild hybrid on both V6 and V8, 12' touchscreen.

Dodge. Sure, we jammed a tablet in to the dash too, but ours is portrait!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

Agreed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks like they've very nearly gotten rid of the squircle fenders, too

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm curious what that finned contraption is on top of the alternator.
e: looks like the water pump gets a subaru-style stretch belt.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BloodBag posted:

I'm curious what that finned contraption is on top of the alternator.
e: looks like the water pump gets a subaru-style stretch belt.

It's the mild hybrid engine so it's probably extra cooling for the alternator that is now also a generator and motor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I see VW hired the Honda wheel guy

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

12' touchscreen.

Tesla eat your heart out.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

...12' touchscreen.

The floor of the bed is a touchscreen. They figured it was the best way to one up Ford and Chevy on bed materials.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

So surely they wouldn't create a hybrid version of the 5.7L V8 just to put it in the RAM, right?

Calling it now, next-gen Charger and Challenger and 300 are getting hybrid versions.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The mild hybrids are taking over

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/15/mercedes-amg-53-inline-six-hybrid-detroit-43062/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-5

quote:

Mercedes-AMG this morning revealed details of a new model designation, the AMG 53-series for the CLS and the E-Class Coupe and Cabriolet. Two words were the first to catch our eye: inline six. The AMG CLS53 and two variants of the AMG E53 are coming to the U.S.. We thought the new inline-six engine would arrive in the CLS, but we didn't realize it'd be an AMG. That's a nice bonus.

The AMG 53 line takes the new 3.0-liter inline-six that debuts on the CLS450 in Europe, but breathes on it some more. Originally this engine made 362 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, but when AMG is through with it, it's pumping out 429 horsepower and 384 pound-feet of torque. The like the non-AMG version, the engine is turbocharged and has an electric auxiliary compressor that eliminates turbo lag. And its mild hybrid system's EQ Boost starter-alternator can throw in an additional 21 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque momentarily. That unit is fitted between the engine and AMG's Speedshift nine-speed transmission, all of which delivers power to the car's Performance 4Matic+ all-wheel drive.

Mercedes says the AMG CLS 53 accelerates from zero to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds.

429 HP/384 lb-ft turbocharged straight six with electric boost to 450/568

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

I'm personally not a fan. I've never really liked the looks of the Ram though. Not a fan of the HVAC controls all being on that touchscreen either.

The lower trim one or whatever is set up better.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

fknlo posted:

I'm personally not a fan. I've never really liked the looks of the Ram though. Not a fan of the HVAC controls all being on that touchscreen either.

There are still hard buttons for all the most frequently used HVAC controls though. Like, how often do you need to change stuff that isn't temperature or fan speed? Maybe the windshield defrost? There's a hard button for that.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It looks to me like all the important buttons are not on the touchscreen.

I used to work at a CDJ dealership back in the early 2000's and remembering how awful the interiors were makes me immediately suspect of any and all of their products, but this actually looks pretty nice

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cool startup feel posted:

The mild hybrids are taking over

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/15/mercedes-amg-53-inline-six-hybrid-detroit-43062/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-5

429 HP/384 lb-ft turbocharged straight six with electric boost to 450/568

Man, it feels so crazy to see electric turbochargers go from "fake poo poo that hucksters are shilling on ebay" to "a real feature on luxury cars".

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheWevel posted:

There are still hard buttons for all the most frequently used HVAC controls though. Like, how often do you need to change stuff that isn't temperature or fan speed? Maybe the windshield defrost? There's a hard button for that.

Didn't even notice those. At least the bro driving it doing 40 over will be able to keep his eyes on his phone!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

Yet another mustang appearance package. meh

Bigger news came out of the mustang presentation.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/14/ford-mach-1-ev-2020/

All electric performance car in 2020 called the Mach 1.

Electric performance SUV.

Because apparently everyone wants a loving SUV for some reason.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Man, it feels so crazy to see electric turbochargers go from "fake poo poo that hucksters are shilling on ebay" to "a real feature on luxury cars".

It's not electric forced induction, it's a mild hybrid.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I saw a 2018 Expedition today, it was the long wheelbase version. It looked extremely bland

Update: I saw a regular wheelbase one and it looked better. More like a big Explorer than a van

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 15, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KillHour posted:

It's not electric forced induction, it's a mild hybrid.

"electric auxiliary compressor that eliminates turbo lag" really sounds like an electric-driven forced induction at least some of the time, did I misunderstand?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Electric performance SUV.

Because apparently everyone wants a loving SUV for some reason.

SUVs are actually the new full-size sedan, and the name is an archaic holdover from the EXTREEME '90s. Cars are just all much taller and fatter than they've ever been.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Sedans have always been a compromise design due the inability to engineer properly stiff and solid wagons and poo poo back in the dark days of the automotive industry.

If you sincerely can't figure out why CUVs and SUVs are more popular than sedans you have a weak brain.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

"electric auxiliary compressor that eliminates turbo lag" really sounds like an electric-driven forced induction at least some of the time, did I misunderstand?

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/products/eBooster.aspx

I'm not sure exactly how it's powered, most electric compressors like those need a 48V system to produce useful boost.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

If you sincerely can't figure out why CUVs and SUVs are more popular than sedans you have a weak brain.

It’s why they’re so much more popular than station wagons that I can’t figure out.

Even the local newspaper which reviewed the CX-5 and 6 wagon together said that they don’t understand why you’d go for the CUV when the wagon is a cheaper and better alternative. It’s not like we ever have snow here or anything like that.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wheeee posted:

Sedans have always been a compromise design due the inability to engineer properly stiff and solid wagons and poo poo back in the dark days of the automotive industry.

Seriously. Like, a wagon shape makes the most sense for what I need from a car, and a crossover is basically a wagon but potentially with more room for batteries under the floor.

Sedans are stupid and waste car useable car length.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Wagons are cool but for vast swathes of America/Canada ground clearance actually matters. Even if you don't get snow, being able to take dirt roads and such without worrying about the car is nice.

The actual handling differences from moving the center of gravity up a handful of inches are minimal unless you're driving harder than you should on the street.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

dissss posted:

It’s why they’re so much more popular than station wagons that I can’t figure out.

Even the local newspaper which reviewed the CX-5 and 6 wagon together said that they don’t understand why you’d go for the CUV when the wagon is a cheaper and better alternative. It’s not like we ever have snow here or anything like that.

Hip point. Specifically something you don't have to step up (BOF truck/SUV) or fall down (most unibody cars) into. You basically side-step into the vehicle from standing height, which is a serious convenience if you're the age of most Baby Boomers. Higher ground clearance for adverse terrain is just a side bonus at the end of the day.

Sagebrush posted:

SUVs are actually the new full-size sedan, and the name is an archaic holdover from the EXTREEME '90s. Cars are just all much taller and fatter than they've ever been.

I'd argue that the automotive world is returning to the sizes and form factors of the 30s/40s/50s after 50 years of Harley Earl-influenced design.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I wonder how much power that hybrid system can transmit to the wheels. And how often you have to replace that expensive looking belt.

The Pacifica Hybrid is an MG set inside the transmission. I would think thats a better idea, but I guess since its not a plug in hybrid, all you get to do is run the accessories off electric or something.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

blindjoe posted:

I wonder how much power that hybrid system can transmit to the wheels. And how often you have to replace that expensive looking belt.

The Pacifica Hybrid is an MG set inside the transmission. I would think thats a better idea, but I guess since its not a plug in hybrid, all you get to do is run the accessories off electric or something.

It's no different than any other supercharger serpentine belt, so a well-known solved problem with cheap parts. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the exact same belt as the Hellcat supercharger belt.

I so wonder how they set the belt tension on that water pump though. Mildly surprised they didn't replace both the mechanical pump and thermostat with an electric water pump.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

blindjoe posted:

Who cares, the lease will be up by then

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

EnergizerFellow posted:

Hip point. Specifically something you don't have to step up (BOF truck/SUV) or fall down (most unibody cars) into. You basically side-step into the vehicle from standing height, which is a serious convenience if you're the age of most Baby Boomers. Higher ground clearance for adverse terrain is just a side bonus at the end of the day.

Im not convinced that you ‘fall down’ into a modern family car anyway - they’re all quite tall these days.

If you look at the 6 v the CX-5 you get more space, less weight and significantly better fuel economy for the disadvantages of being a bit lower and having a longer vehicle.

dissss fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 16, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

EnergizerFellow posted:

I so wonder how they set the belt tension on that water pump though. Mildly surprised they didn't replace both the mechanical pump and thermostat with an electric water pump.

Electric water pumps don't work that well.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Wrar posted:

Electric water pumps don't work that well.

I thought BMW and Porsche (and Audi?) have been doing electric water pumps for a while now? I'm wanting to think Porsche had them in some turbo applications as far back as the late 80s.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Deteriorata posted:

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/products/eBooster.aspx

I'm not sure exactly how it's powered, most electric compressors like those need a 48V system to produce useful boost.
The 3.0l straight sixes from Mercedes are all rocking 48v systems now. The tech has definitely moved on from the PC case fans stuck in cold air intakes from eBay that were all the rage a decade ago.

Zero to full boost in about a quarter second, about 6kW of draw peak at 48v. They aren't designed to provide continuous power, just enough to drop the time-to-torque down to ridiculously low levels while the larger conventional turbo comes into play. Should help alleviate the problem with the current mountain of downsized turbocharged engines running out of breath at the top end since you can run a larger turbo and gain low end torque.
:science:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

EnergizerFellow posted:

I thought BMW and Porsche (and Audi?) have been doing electric water pumps for a while now? I'm wanting to think Porsche had them in some turbo applications as far back as the late 80s.

BMW has gone back to a mechanical water pump in the new B engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

dissss posted:

"Because that's the car my mom drove".