Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think we're also putting more of an emphasis on the translation just because every other aspect of the game is so good/improved from the past. I'm replaying p3p on my vita and it really shows how limited the scope of the game was compared to now (an example being how much social links can boost game play and unlock abilities, but it used to be almost purely for persona fusion stuff).

Persona 5 is a really really good game but that just makes the odd dent (translation) stand out even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think persona 5's a lil' rear end tho

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I enjoyed Persona 5 but I can also immediately think of at least 5 other JRPGs I played in 2017 that I enjoyed more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i didnt say it was full rear end. just a lil' rear end.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Terper posted:

I enjoyed Persona 5 but I can also immediately think of at least 5 other JRPGs I played in 2017 that I enjoyed more.
Where are you finding JRPGs that don't take three months each to complete?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
persona 5 is the best playing persona game in the persona franchise and maybe a #2 in aesthetics

i like it alright tho

Terper posted:

This is so goddamn stilted it could perform in a circus.
my mind is so constantly tilt from consuming media translated from japanese from an early age that doesn't phase me at all

not an excuse obviously, not everyone is broken, but language is weird huh

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Persona 5 is great and yall weird

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terper posted:

What were they?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Trails of Cold Steel, Trails of Cold Steel 2, Trails in the Sky the 3rd, Trails from Zero, Trails to Azure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

yeah i didnt say it was full rear end. just a lil' rear end.

Something we finally agree on.

Persona 5 has problems.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

persona 5 is the best playing persona game in the persona franchise and maybe a #2 in aesthetics

i like it alright tho

my mind is so constantly tilt from consuming media translated from japanese from an early age that doesn't phase me at all

not an excuse obviously, not everyone is broken, but language is weird huh

That's pretty much the problem, it reads like an amateur manga scan.

The game's got plenty of other, deeper writing issues, like how its central theme is constantly butting up against its moral cowardice and the fact that one of the key characters just straight-up loving vanishes after a rushed and unsatisfactory conclusion, but the translation was like someone pressing on my head every so often. Minor but obnoxious.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I think all game developers can learn a valuable lesson from this: as long as we only make mistakes that aren't easy to screencap and spread online, we'll be invincible.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They probably would have caught more poo poo from people bitching it wasn't Japanese enough if they'd gone the other way with the translation so gently caress it. Story was perfectly understandable so it served its purpose.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

They probably would have caught more poo poo from people bitching it wasn't Japanese enough if they'd gone the other way with the translation so gently caress it. Story was perfectly understandable so it served its purpose.
this is such a dumb attitude. good translation can elevate a game a lot, bad translation can ruin it. people love trails of cold steel, people arent huge on wild arms 2, even though their writing quality is about the same in Japanese. If anything, Wild Arms 2 is the better written of the two in Japanese, at least in terms of the actual dialogue.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 16, 2018

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

I feel like I'm stating the obvious here, but: even if people complain about something, that doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm making the final run on Shido's palace. Akechi is an absolute puke, I didn't like him from the start. Glad he's at least nominally dead though I suppose they're leaving the door open for a potential return if they wish. I wondered why the game gave you such aggressive answers to him in your first encounters with him but now it looks like it's for NG+ if you walk out of your first game hating him.

What a little rear end in a top hat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FractalSandwich posted:

I think all game developers can learn a valuable lesson from this: as long as we only make mistakes that aren't easy to screencap and spread online, we'll be invincible.

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/952018668275228673

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
She's right, and you can generalise that to everything. There's no one thing that will guarantee success if you get it exactly right, and there's no one thing that you absolutely have to get exactly right in every game or you're guaranteed to fail. Pick anything - localisation, writing, art, sound, systems, programming, UI, whatever - and there'll be multiple examples of commercially and critically-successful games that have hosed it up royally.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Endorph posted:

this is such a dumb attitude. good translation can elevate a game a lot, bad translation can ruin it. people love trails of cold steel, people arent huge on wild arms 2, even though their writing quality is about the same in Japanese. If anything, Wild Arms 2 is the better written of the two in Japanese, at least in terms of the actual dialogue.

And *any* translation lets me at least play it with a reasonable degree of autonomy and understanding since I don't read or speak Japanese. I'd rather have a wonky but comprehendible translation than no translation.

If it was an end to end Engrish mess I could understand people's complaints.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Playing through this again and Haru hearing about her dad when everyone's chilling at not-disneyland reminded me too much of that scene off dexter with the mickey mouse hat.

"My condolences"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And *any* translation lets me at least play it with a reasonable degree of autonomy and understanding since I don't read or speak Japanese. I'd rather have a wonky but comprehendible translation than no translation.

You could extend this to the game itself. Nobody should ever complain about the game because it didn't make the PS4 catch on fire. I'd rather have a game with flaws than no game at all.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terper posted:

Trails of Cold Steel, Trails of Cold Steel 2, Trails in the Sky the 3rd, Trails from Zero, Trails to Azure.

Those are all just games in the same series!

I mean, I've heard the Trails games are very good, and I'm interested in trying, but still..

Endorph posted:

In terms of it being 'Japanese', I don't really mind all that much if they substitute idioms or whatever other language miscellanea with English colloquialisms. There's some stuff that just doesn't really carry over from Japanese. If you've got to take creative liberties so that it'll be understood by the audience, then I think that's permitted. I think where people get upset is when translation/localization teams go overboard with it (I'd make a comparison to the Working Designs translations, but I'm not really familiar with any of them outside of some things I remember hearing in a Retronauts podcast). The original translation of Persona 1 (Revelations: Persona) was really bad. However, it also had that weird thing where in the '90s, it seemed like translators tried to disguise the fact that the games they localized weren't set in Japan (like the whole weird rice ball/donut thing in the Pokemon cartoon).

If anything we can agree that Ys VIII takes the award for 'Worst Translation' in 2017.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You ever play Fire Emblem?

Awakening and Fates came out just a couple years apart. Similar base mechanics, same artist, same studio.

But they were localized by different teams, and it shows. Where Awakening has a cast with distinct voices and solid dialog, Fates was much worse about both. I'll admit the starting material was part of it, since everything about the writing in Fates is kind of a tire fire, but the localization manages to lose what distinction the writing in the game had.

It's nowhere near incomprehensible, but bad localization makes the game clearly weaker than the 8-4 localized titles surrounding it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm really enjoying this game. Usually I dislike JRPGs but this one's pretty fun and the aesthetics are awesome.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endorph posted:

i think persona 5's a lil' rear end tho

CharlestheHammer posted:

Something we finally agree on.

Persona 5 has problems.

Ah the revisionism has started

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

ive had this opinion on persona 5 since like a week after it came out dude. it's not 'revisionism' to have a nuanced opinion on a video game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

What were they?

I'd like to know too because I'm bored and don't follow JRPGs anymore to know what's good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radish posted:

I'd like to know too because I'm bored and don't follow JRPGs anymore to know what's good.

trails of cold steel, tales of berseria, romancing saga 2, tokyo xanadu, nier automata?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

Eh, they're not wrong. P5 isn't the perfect game. The game's combat balance is weird and just kind of throws difficulty spikes out kinda randomly. When the sneaking/thieving stuff works it's great but sometimes the game's controls just don't keep up with what you want to do and you wind up getting one-rounded on an ambush because you got stuck to a wall instead of attacking the thing that spotted you. Just because 99.9% of the translation is good doesn't make that last .1% stand out, especially since a fair bit of it is wedged into the main story (extra weird since usually translation problems are usually tucked into the optional corners of a game.) This is possibly the worst I've ever felt about finding stuff I wish I'd known about going into the game- I never did restart it was very, very tempting at times because I threw a lot of time and money away on things, not knowing alternatives that would come in the future or the game just didn't signpost were actual things.

And then in Spoiler Town: The entire third act is a dumpster fire in terms of plot, outside the November 19th/20th stuff and the associated Palace, even going as far as sacrificing some of the goodwill from the first 2/3ds of the game on the alter of making Shido's conspiracy responsible for basically everything that happens to the Phantom Thieves after Kamoshida. Starting with Okumura, who after some well-portrayed and genuinely threatening antagonists is basically a cartoon villain both as a Shadow and as an actual person and his Palace is a hateful slog through many, many identical, boring forced fights including the goddamn 'boss' fight at the end of it. Goro Akechi being the traitor is such a not-twist I'm surprised the game bothered to cover up the fact at all, although the reveal of how the Phantom Thieves caught and tricked him was pretty neat. And after that reveal Goro turns into a cheap melodramatic version of Adachi who dumps his entire motive rant into one scene, gets his boss fight, then immediately 'dies' in possibly the most cringe-inducing sequence in the game. Shido's Palace was fine mechanically, but it just couldn't stop going 'haha, we were also responsible for THIS' because apparently the writers couldn't have faith that people would find Shido enough of a hatable bad guy without making him directly or indirectly responsible for every bad thing ever. I left the final Palace feeling really, really apprehensive and I'm glad that the final token Persona twist back to the supernatural was both so well done and was a great payoff for a great many things that felt off through the rest of the game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Endorph posted:

trails of cold steel, tales of berseria, romancing saga 2, tokyo xanadu, nier automata?

I was looking into Romancing Saga 2 but read some reviews which said it really hadn't aged well. Is it good?

Nier Automata was great but I already finished it.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 16, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really enjoyed Romancing Saga 2, its jank as gently caress and also a Saga game but it's still pretty comprehensible and has some really cool mechanics.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Radish posted:

I was looking into Romancing Saga 2 but read some reviews on which said it really hadn't aged well. Is it good?

Its Saga as gently caress, so if you like that kind of game its pretty good.

Its got a really cool generation mechanic and all the normal Saga stuff of weird and obtuse sidequests, utterly random tech sparking etc.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Totally agree with the stealth part. Even if you are in cover in front of an enemy they sometimes don't see you because you are in "stealth". The controls are so finnicky as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pablo Gigante posted:

I have been vocal about this for a long time friend.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Interesting. Most of my Saga experience is the ancient Game Boy games which I enjoyed at the time so maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agreed on the last act. Shido is probably one of the worst villains of the year for me, because he was even more one-dimensional than some of the minor Targets but his influence and screentime were so prevalent that you couldn't get away from him. Yaldabaoth and the Mementos denizens were a much better thematic tie-off.

Akechi was probably meant to be a commentary on the desperation and resentment unwanted children (and especially orphans, who get an exceptionally lovely deal in Japan) can be driven to in "polite" society, but his arc was sabotaged by his proximity to Shido and then just kind of forgotten about.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

For near ending spoilers.

Also I really disliked the shido fights. He did three fights in a row and they were all pretty annoying to go through and barely did anything interesting.

At least God kept it to one easy fight (the holy grail part is so easy anyway) and one awesome fight with very interesting mechanics.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

"Max Wilco" [/qoute posted:

However, it also had that weird thing where in the '90s, it seemed like translators tried to disguise the fact that the games they localized weren't set in Japan (like the whole weird rice ball/donut thing in the Pokemon cartoon).

In xenoblade 2, they keep calling riceballs dumplings. And it wasn't a one time thing, the entire dictionary in the game replaces them with dumplings.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There was a pyramid. I did not care for its boss. That's all I've got for today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

There was a pyramid. I did not care for its boss. That's all I've got for today.

i sphinx you should settle down

you seem a riddle bit upset