Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The fact that CIG posts these videos, presumably proud of their efforts and accomplishments, if one could be so generous, speaks volumes about the company, its direction, and its employees.

That reminds me of the trope Refuge in Audacity: "...someone who breaks the rules with such flagrant abandon is so unusual that people have a hard time accepting that they exist, and will try to rationalize what's happening by assuming that the violator has some sort of exceptional reason for breaking protocol; otherwise, they wouldn't even dare to be so open about it, right?"

It's one of the central pillars supporting this scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

If after experimenting and trying things with the "wait 85 minutes for a new spaceship, or pay extra to only wait 15 minutes" insurance gameplay mechanics, it turns out to not be fun, could CIG cancel this core value of the game that they sold at a premium with every single spaceship? Or is it now a legal requirement that Star Citizen not be fun?

The truly hilarious juxtaposition of Star Citizen is that if people actually looked at the kinds of mechanics CR is trying to put in, they would discover the game is not going to be a fun game.

It’s just that “dreams” can’t be disappointing, where as mechanics can. Sure everybody thinks they will be Han Solo and never die... but then they do and now they have to wait for their ship to resplendent minus its equipment.

Even better for people who don’t have insurance on stuff they bought for $$$ and it’s just gone.

The glory of Star Citizen may never get to be fully appreciated because it will die before it can be torn to shreds by the people who support it today.

That’s the glory of Star Citizen, too. All the fans and dreamers with the huge role play characters and the big bucks spent will get wasted, and be the most hugely disappointed in the game when it betrays them.

Meanwhile, people like most goons would potentially be the best customers because they don’t have expectations of being the next solar warlord of Star Citizen. They just want to gently caress with people in their starter ships for a few weeks then pick it up every so often and gently caress around a bit more. You know, kind of like a game.

The people expecting this to be their life replacement are going to be the ones who are most furious. If the game would release before it gets destroyed by lawyers and hubris.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Galarox posted:

Hey Titanic - I finished your shop. Would you like to know more?

Yes, tell me more my sweet Nigerian Prince. :glomp:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Yes, tell me more my sweet Nigerian Prince. :glomp:

lol. Enjoy :)

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

HAHAHA! Now they are saying It's good ED released first because they got the evil EVE players. So its a good thing SC has nothing to show because only the finest will be in this community! :laffo:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

I never played Eve nor do I know much about it but lol Jesus. You know how during World War 1 veterans suffering from shell shock were laughed at and called dipsticks who lacked moral fiber? Imagine if some future psychologists determined that people who got this owned by Eve goons were similarly affected. Like instead of shaking and hiding under beds they can't help but post nostalgic screeds on reddit and look for somebody to scam them over and over again. Then we will all feel really terrible for laughing at them. Until then: :lol:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dusty Lens posted:

If you ever want to see a pair of nostalgia glasses it's someone looking back at old school Ultima Online as a good natured realm of respectable combat.

For those of you not 'in the know'.. in UO originally you had to grind money/stats for hours on mining or some other activity to successfully hunt a rabbit; let alone kill a headless or a real monster.

Original UO was hot poo poo on toast.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Galarox posted:

Wow!!

This is like a page ripped out of a magazine if we never went past the stone age- but somehow managed to invent the Internet! Haha! Fantastic! You’ve got some crazy mad talent! :glomp:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

monkeytek posted:

HAHAHA! Now they are saying It's good ED released first because they got the evil EVE players. So its a good thing SC has nothing to show because only the finest will be in this community! :laffo:

This checks out. It follows the following scientifically-established facts:

- People can only play one space game
- People are allowed to migrate to a second space game under the condition that they abandon the first
- Once someone migrates from one space game to another, they may not migrate to a third space game, and must stay with the second, or return to the one they originally left

This is why all MMOs after World of Warcraft crashed and burned so hard. People have to be sure the new game will be around for a while before they permanently use up their second allotment.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

MilesK posted:

If after experimenting and trying things with the "wait 85 minutes for a new spaceship, or pay extra to only wait 15 minutes" insurance gameplay mechanics, it turns out to not be fun, could CIG cancel this core value of the game that they sold at a premium with every single spaceship? Or is it now a legal requirement that Star Citizen not be fun?

lol owned

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Haven't seen it here, so I'm blatantly archering from the FDev forums just to be mean to everyone involved (especially anyone who has actually posted it before, and that I didn't care to read the first time):

Ben Parry posted:

" Will the devs ever release some sort of graphics down grade that players can turn on to increase fps? "
Definitely yes. The current quality settings are still being looked at, in many cases they downgrade something quite arbitrarily, with a big quality loss for not much performance gain, while other systems don't downgrade at all and could offer a big performance gain.

Will we hit 100fps on a regular gaming PC?
That one I can't answer. Even if we just rendered every object as a flat-shaded cube, we're still limited by the CPU time needed to gather the appropriate objects and submit them for rendering, not to mention that the engine's built around an assumption of 1 update step per frame rendered, so we're unlikely to ever have a frame rate faster than what's needed for game logic, physics, etc.

Good job not being able to say that your engine will be capable of doing what every 3D engine ever (as in, anything newer than the 2.5D Doom/Duke 3D era) is inherently able to do. Solid programming all around.

Oh, and they're aiming for 30 FPS for lower-end; 60 FPS for high-end. So much for saving PC gaming that has definitely not moved on to 90 FPS (VR)/144 FPS (on high-res screens) as a kind of gold standard.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 16, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

MilesK posted:

Or is it now a legal requirement that Star Citizen not be fun?

If so, it's likely to be the only legal requirement CIG hasn't violated.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

grimcreaper posted:

The Crusader games were loving awesome and if you believe otherwise i will poo poo on your favorite game for the rest of its shelf life.

My favorite game is "Don't poo poo Your Pants".

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Ben Parpy, developer.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

My favorite game is "Don't poo poo Your Pants".

By an amazing coincidence that is Ben Lesnick, Developer's favorite game as well.

Ben plays to lose.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its amazing "In order to keep the quarterly release schedule we had planned we decided to ship a piece of poo poo early. So that means the first of the supposed four patches in the years schedule is going to be spent fixing the poo poo that should have been dealt with last year"

CIG, yo, you guys need to understand project management. 3 months into the new year you are wasting time fixing poo poo, that leaves you 3 months to go through all the poo poo that you want to add for the june patch, which actually means you got 1 month to do all of that before you have to send it through the testing pipelines.

e- Was this guy loving working with them in 2016 when they were already doing the "Time Driven" methodology and then switching to a feature driven one because he needs to evaluate WHY they switched from one to the other. Im sure that the reason why they switched over is because a whole year to release something broken and missing a ton of parts did a number on the citizens and on their own morale but if he cant correct the thinking that lead them to switch over like they did in 2016 then its only going to happen again.

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here. I think this is exactly what CIG needs to do.

The big mistake that software companies make is committing to both a fixed date and a fixed feature list. If you publicly commit to both, you’ll be late most of the time. The product team needs to pick one and fully commit to it.

You should target either a fixed feature list at <who knows?> date, OR a fixed release candence with whatever features you can get done in that timebox. Feature not quite ready? It doesn’t ship. And nobody’s hurt, because you only committed to the date, not the features that will be delivered on said date.

Also, stopping the feature train - which has been writing checks the engineers can’t cash for literal years - and giving the team time to clear out tech debt, re-write bad poo poo that doesn’t work, and get the base game stable enough to build upon, is absolutely essential to Star Citizen ever becoming a production-ready piece of software.

Now, I’m fully aware that CIG isn’t even remotely capable of this kind of coherent project management, but on the surface, this is the right call. Lucky for CIG, they never have to go deeper than that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Toops posted:

Now, I’m fully aware that CIG isn’t even remotely capable of this kind of coherent project management, but on the surface, this is the right call. Lucky for CIG, they never have to go deeper than that.

CIG.txt, right there. More than once, CIG has actually made a good call. They have never actually identified them as such and/or been able to incorporate those decisions into a larger coherent strategy for actually moving forward rather than backwards.

It's a pretty common management disease, really: picking up and implementing something that is ostensibly a good idea, but being completely clueless about why it's a good thing to do and in what context. So it just becomes yet another disjointed fad that pulls the project in a wholly useless direction.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Galarox posted:

This needs to be Something Jones transcripted. It's the usual "um, er, er, um" stuff in the answers from the devs to perfectly legit questions, but I cba to transcribe, it takes a stronger man than me to wade through that poo poo. It strikes me as remarkable (or perhaps unremarkable - even expected) that, from the top down, Crobbles has infected every last part of this company with uncertainty fear and doubt. The por devs are like politicians put on the spot but without the slick get out of jail free answering by not answering ability that is every politicians stock in trade.

Calling All Devs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNZwjLSPZMc

Q:
How many land claim licenses will fit on a planet or moon?

Dave Haddock:
Uhm... that is a... very good question, uh... we have... when we were actually doing the um... sort of, the... the BUILD to the... um... the... the ANNIVERSARY SALE like that... there's a lot of conversations about like these LAND CLAIMS and stuff like that, and I... I remember, um... in one of the conversations talking with... with TONY, uh... that... apparently, based off of every single Star Citizen... uh... like... getting one of the big ESTATE pieces... uh, if every single one of them got one they still wouldn't be able to fill up a single planet.

1.9 million Star Citizens wouldn't be able to fill a single planet. That's the calculation.

Q:
What is modularity?

Matt Sherman:
So... yeah, like you said it definitely does have multiple interpretations, ah, the... the core is gonna come down to PLAYER FACING MODULARITY, that's gonna be the moment to moment choices anyone gets to make with... how is their ship kitted out, what are their components, weapons, all that good stuff, but then at the same time we've also got DEVELOPER FACING MODULARITY and that's a lot of the stuff for how are we actually going to be able to CREATE and ITERATE all of this CONTENT that's gonna populate the world of STAR CITIZEN, um... so... right now the biggest thing for PLAYER FACING MODULARITY is... is... really gonna be your COMPONENT OPTIONS, ah, it's definitely something we're looking to keep FLESHING OUT, I mean we've got, ah, you know... the ALTERNATE ROOM OPTIONS for the RETALIATOR, ah, looking at a number of different things for various ships but a lot of it does become more CASE BY CASE and... and... how... how... BIG of a WING can we get for... you know I know we saw modules planned for the CATERPILLAR cos that's its nice big segmented rooms...

BUT at the same time that MODULARITY doesn't mean it's just gonna be just LEGO, you know we're not just gonna be I'M JUST GONNA PICK THIS DESK UP AND MOVE IT AT A HALF METER OVER TO THE SIDE

So there's still gonna be some... some STRUCTURE, form to it, ah, ahm...

And... and we also have been recently showing off a lot more of the DEVELOPER SIDED MODULARITY, just a month or so ago when you (Lando) did your... the... ah.. urr... OUTPOST HAPPY HOUR with the UK team, that's a great example of DEVELOPER FACING MODULARITY because it's HEY SET UP THESE WALL PREFAB, set up these NODE PREFABS for, 'OK, this is these BED SET APPS for THIS manufacturer THIS style, ah... ah... the... PLANET DEMO that we showed, ah... ah... you know like the planet generation demo, ah... um... the building out of like the IDRIS and the JAVELIN videos that are about a month or so back where it's uh... hey, here's these AEGIS...GIANT... SHIP HALLWAY CHUNKS, so that's a lot of that DEVELOPER FACING MODULARITY where it's... it's how we're able to build a giant, you know, multi star system GAME, ah, without KILLING OURSELVES

Q:
The inner thought system and player interaction in general, is that it? Are we done?

Calix Reneau:
Yeah, as usual, as usual we're finished from the gate... no, that's, ah... so much of... of this is coming together still, um... we're... we're ITERATING ON IT and doing all kinds of things and doing a whole other ASPECT to it, basically, ah, the interaction system is really good for finding things in the world to click on and... and... interacting with them in bespoke ways, just... go out there and see what you get, um...

But it's not so great at things that don't really have a, you know, a logical place out in the world like, where would you click exactly to EXIT SEATS or to HOLSTER YOUR WEAPON or to do your EMOTE, so, ah, we have a little personal THOUGHT RADIAL WHEEL that comes up and gives you access to all that, you know I'm actually working on that now

Todd Papy:
Steve's on the beach drinking BEERS, ah, RELAXING, I'm... I'm in the office working, so...

Yeah it's basically I was here for a couple of days, they put me at Steve Bender's desk, I don't know why, it needs to be DOUSED and basically SANITIZED

Q:
I don't suppose you want to answer a question about dance emotes do you?

Todd Papy:
No

Q:
Tell us about 3.1, what are we looking at for 3.1?

Todd Papy:
Well... I think... haha... well, for us... uhm... we saw 3.0 and... and... as Erin stated and... and, um... there... basically we stated in development letter, that... you know, in order for us to move over to this, ah, DATE DRIVEN RELEASE, you know we needed to get 3.0 out the door.

But 3.0 going out the door there was a lot of stuff that we felt, um... WASN'T UP TO SNUFF and... and we needed to get optimisations better... ah... uhm... just because the overall frame rate, ah... then there were other, ah... I think USABILITY, ah, aspects that we felt we needed to improve... uhm... and even just on... player's understanding of what they can do and what they can't do, and... uhm... then even if you think about like the... the... ITEM 2.0 COMBAT VISOR SCREENS and those... those... those types of things were we worked really hard on that was... just... they didn't get to... the quality level that we all wanted them to get to, ah, so...

It's working towards and finalising a lot of the issues that we felt were, uhm.... should have been part of 3.0 but just, you know, kind of... kept on limping on and... the... the guys were working very hard... it just didn't come to be

Q:
The 300i, where is it, where's our rework? What's happening, when?

Eric Kieron Davies:
When. It's the production part of me that's why you get to ask the 'when' question, right? A lot of whens, ok... ah... ahm... THREE HUNDRED EYE! It's a GREAT question, ah, the REWORK is... I believe the last of our original FIVE PLEDGE SHIPS and from what I understand it's one of the most owned ships... so there's a few people interested in what's going on with the 300i, fair enough...

So, the 300i... I'm going to have SO much information for you, ah... is DEFINITELY ON OUR RADAR, it's definitely one that we wanna REWORK, it is on the AGENDA to work on as you'd expect, I can't give you more information of what the date is, I know you're asking for it, we're looking at 2018, we're looking at a lot of what the long term is for a lot of the SHIPS, being one of the last reworked ships we're DEFINITELY SUPER INTERESTED in actually getting that done and out from under us and getting it into everybody's hands so we can keep moving on with the NEW SHIPS that are coming up, I can't give you any more than that but it's DEFINITELY ON OUR RADAR...

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

quote:

the engine's built around an assumption of 1 update step per frame rendered, so we're unlikely to ever have a frame rate faster than what's needed for game logic, physics, etc.

:objection:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Good on Dave for answering that land claim question without giving a single number. Chris will be proud. Get back to not writing the novella.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

This would absolutely be the right call for a company that is actually trying to have their product available for its clients, I am not 100% convinced that CIG is one of those companies.

I mean, not to sound too :tinfoil: but at least one of their 2 games is in reality just smoke and mirrors, we just don't know which one (or if both).

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Look at that Todd Papy reply, just look at it.

Remaining backers reading the thread, sit yourself down and read all of that. These people do not have a loving clue what they're doing, this has devolved into a scam and is mired in legal controversies.

Get your money out, they DO NOT deserve your money nor your trust and have earned neither.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nice to see some Japanese influence on these, I was worried Adz was becoming a little formulaic. I'd really like to see him incorporate screaming Bradley Walsh into one of his next works, a mix of old and new styles.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

Good on Dave for answering that land claim question without giving a single number. Chris will be proud. Get back to not writing the novella.

What are you talking about? I can't wait to live on a single planet with over 1.9 million other Star Citizens.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Virtual Captain posted:

Just to clarify - Dave got that number from Tony Z

E: to clarify my clarification, the 1.9 million land claims fitting on a single planet came from Tony Z

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Look at that Todd Papy reply, just look at it.

Remaining backers reading the thread, sit yourself down and read all of that. These people do not have a loving clue what they're doing, this has devolved into a scam and is mired in legal controversies.

Get your money out, they DO NOT deserve your money nor your trust and have earned neither.

Be aware that those with money in Star Citizen have Todds comment on their radar. We know they can't commit to comprehending it right now, but it is on their radar, and they will get to it.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

He didnt say they sold 1.9M land claims right? He didnt say the total area sold either. So he effectively gave no numbers.

Also I don't read good sometimes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Todd Papy:
Well... I think... haha... well, for us... uhm... we saw 3.0 and... and... as Erin stated and... and, um... there... basically we stated in development letter, that... you know, in order for us to move over to this, ah, DATE DRIVEN RELEASE, you know we needed to get 3.0 out the door.

I'm going to zero in on this response and hit it with the armor-piercing question it practically begs:

WHY?

Why, exactly, for you to move to a DATE DRIVEN RELEASE did you need to get "3.0" out the door? In a company where point releases mean nothing - in a company run by an incompetent who is on record stating that using terms such as "Alpha" and "Beta" is the "old way" of making games - a company beholden to literally nobody, least of all the backers that have given them every dime they've wasted - explain to me, CIG, exactly why "3.0" had to be out for you to move to date driven releases.

Explain it. Explain to me in simple terms how a completely arbitrary feature set, which doesn't even loving work, tied to an arbitrary numbering scheme, had to happen before the "move to a date driven release." See here's the thing, CIG: you don't have a publisher. You can do what you want, when you want, and God knows that's exactly what you've been doing from day one. So there's really no prerequisite for anything you do, is there? You can just decide, at any second of the day, that you've moved to a "date driven release" and boom, you're done. Just start doing it. No need to prepare.

So here again we have the after-the-fact rationalization and attempt to hide the fact that 3.0 was released to spike backer confidence for Christmas sales, and make it sound like their scam cash-grab was part of some grand reorganization scheme which of course will lead to streamlined production going forward and all kinds of things that are Good for Star Citizen™.

Sounds more to me like you hosed up, CIG - you hosed up and you know it, and you're trying to retcon it into part of some grand scheme; that you had to bite the bullet and release a substandard patch in order to have better things later on. ProTip: Not everyone is as stupid as your backers.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 16, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

I’m applying for the “Derek Smart” position at a few of these boards. It’ll be a thankless job but as one of his alts I should be able to land the jobs.

Apparently every successful game that doesn’t really have a product they can for real sell needs a big evil baddie it can defend itself against to garner public support. :shrug:

We here at Oasis call it “The Big Bad Wulf Ecosystem”.

You're a Goon, so I think you have a very good shot at being hired. If they ask for a portfolio, just give them the link to The July Blog. :grin:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

:five::five::five:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

Haven't seen it here, so I'm blatantly archering from the FDev forums just to be mean to everyone involved (especially anyone who has actually posted it before, and that I didn't care to read the first time):

[url="https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/graphics-options-to-maximize-frame-rate/876181"]

Good job not being able to say that your engine will be capable of doing what every 3D engine ever (as in, anything newer than the 2.5D Doom/Duke 3D era) is inherently able to do. Solid programming all around.

Oh, and they're aiming for 30 FPS for lower-end; 60 FPS for high-end. So much for saving PC gaming that has definitely not moved on to 90 FPS (VR)/144 FPS (on high-res screens) as a kind of gold standard.

loving :laffo: if you thought those chucklefucks were ever competent enough to save anything but their jobs.

----------------

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Calling All Devs

Q:

Dave Haddock:
Uhm... that is a... very good question, uh... we have... when we were actually doing the um... sort of, the... the BUILD to the... um... the... the ANNIVERSARY SALE like that... there's a lot of conversations about like these LAND CLAIMS and stuff like that, and I... I remember, um... in one of the conversations talking with... with TONY, uh... that... apparently, based off of every single Star Citizen... uh... like... getting one of the big ESTATE pieces... uh, if every single one of them got one they still wouldn't be able to fill up a single planet.

1.9 million Star Citizens wouldn't be able to fill a single planet. That's the calculation.

Q:
What is modularity?

Matt Sherman:
So... yeah, like you said it definitely does have multiple interpretations, ah, the... the core is gonna come down to PLAYER FACING MODULARITY, that's gonna be the moment to moment choices anyone gets to make with... how is their ship kitted out, what are their components, weapons, all that good stuff, but then at the same time we've also got DEVELOPER FACING MODULARITY and that's a lot of the stuff for how are we actually going to be able to CREATE and ITERATE all of this CONTENT that's gonna populate the world of STAR CITIZEN, um... so... right now the biggest thing for PLAYER FACING MODULARITY is... is... really gonna be your COMPONENT OPTIONS, ah, it's definitely something we're looking to keep FLESHING OUT, I mean we've got, ah, you know... the ALTERNATE ROOM OPTIONS for the RETALIATOR, ah, looking at a number of different things for various ships but a lot of it does become more CASE BY CASE and... and... how... how... BIG of a WING can we get for... you know I know we saw modules planned for the CATERPILLAR cos that's its nice big segmented rooms...

BUT at the same time that MODULARITY doesn't mean it's just gonna be just LEGO, you know we're not just gonna be I'M JUST GONNA PICK THIS DESK UP AND MOVE IT AT A HALF METER OVER TO THE SIDE

And... and we also have been recently showing off a lot more of the DEVELOPER SIDED MODULARITY, just a month or so ago when you (Lando) did your... the... ah.. urr... OUTPOST HAPPY HOUR with the UK team, that's a great example of DEVELOPER FACING MODULARITY because it's HEY SET UP THESE WALL PREFAB, set up these NODE PREFABS for, 'OK, this is these BED SET APPS for THIS manufacturer THIS style, ah... ah... the... PLANET DEMO that we showed, ah... ah... you know like the planet generation demo, ah... um... the building out of like the IDRIS and the JAVELIN videos that are about a month or so back where it's uh... hey, here's these AEGIS...GIANT... SHIP HALLWAY CHUNKS, so that's a lot of that DEVELOPER FACING MODULARITY where it's... it's how we're able to build a giant, you know, multi star system GAME, ah, without KILLING OURSELVES

Q:
The inner thought system and player interaction in general, is that it? Are we done?

Calix Reneau:
Yeah, as usual, as usual we're finished from the gate... no, that's, ah... so much of... of this is coming together still, um... we're... we're ITERATING ON IT and doing all kinds of things and doing a whole other ASPECT to it, basically, ah, the interaction system is really good for finding things in the world to click on and... and... interacting with them in bespoke ways, just... go out there and see what you get, um...

But it's not so great at things that don't really have a, you know, a logical place out in the world like, where would you click exactly to EXIT SEATS or to HOLSTER YOUR WEAPON or to do your EMOTE, so, ah, we have a little personal THOUGHT RADIAL WHEEL that comes up and gives you access to all that, you know I'm actually working on that now

Todd Papy:
Steve's on the beach drinking BEERS, ah, RELAXING, I'm... I'm in the office working, so...

Yeah it's basically I was here for a couple of days, they put me at Steve Bender's desk, I don't know why, it needs to be DOUSED and basically SANITIZED

Q:

Todd Papy:
No

Q:

Todd Papy:

But 3.0 going out the door there was a lot of stuff that we felt, um... WASN'T UP TO SNUFF and... and we needed to get optimisations better... ah... uhm... just because the overall frame rate, ah... then there were other, ah... I think USABILITY, ah, aspects that we felt we needed to improve... uhm... and even just on... player's understanding of what they can do and what they can't do, and... uhm... then even if you think about like the... the... ITEM 2.0 COMBAT VISOR SCREENS and those... those... those types of things were we worked really hard on that was... just... they didn't get to... the quality level that we all wanted them to get to, ah, so...

It's working towards and finalising a lot of the issues that we felt were, uhm.... should have been part of 3.0 but just, you know, kind of... kept on limping on and... the... the guys were working very hard... it just didn't come to be

Q:

Eric Kieron Davies:
When. It's the production part of me that's why you get to ask the 'when' question, right? A lot of whens, ok... ah... ahm... THREE HUNDRED EYE! It's a GREAT question, ah, the REWORK is... I believe the last of our original FIVE PLEDGE SHIPS and from what I understand it's one of the most owned ships... so there's a few people interested in what's going on with the 300i, fair enough...

So, the 300i... I'm going to have SO much information for you, ah... is DEFINITELY ON OUR RADAR, it's definitely one that we wanna REWORK, it is on the AGENDA to work on as you'd expect, I can't give you more information of what the date is, I know you're asking for it, we're looking at 2018, we're looking at a lot of what the long term is for a lot of the SHIPS, being one of the last reworked ships we're DEFINITELY SUPER INTERESTED in actually getting that done and out from under us and getting it into everybody's hands so we can keep moving on with the NEW SHIPS that are coming up, I can't give you any more than that but it's DEFINITELY ON OUR RADAR...

lol - thanks for wading through that awfulness to transcribe it. My fave bit was Pappy saying "no" in answer to Hobos' question. I genuinely lol'd when I watched it. Still you have done proper justice to the absolute word salad that these poor fucks were coming up with, good job!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Calling All Devs

Q:

Dave Haddock:

Q:
What is modularity?

Matt Sherman:

Q:

Calix Reneau:

Todd Papy:

Q:

Todd Papy:
No

Q:

Todd Papy:

Q:

Eric Kieron Davies:

:vince:

----------------

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What a clusterfuck.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm going to zero in on this response and hit it with the armor-piercing question it practically begs:

WHY?

Why, exactly, for you to move to a DATE DRIVEN RELEASE did you need to get "3.0" out the door? In a company where point releases mean nothing - in a company run by an incompetent who is on record stating that using terms such as "Alpha" and "Beta" is the "old way" of making games - a company beholden to literally nobody, least of all the backers that have given them every dime they've wasted - explain to me, CIG, exactly why "3.0" had to be out for you to move to date driven releases.

Explain it. Explain to me in simple terms how a completely arbitrary feature set, which doesn't even loving work, tied to an arbitrary numbering scheme, had to happen before the "move to a date driven release." See here's the thing, CIG: you don't have a publisher. You can do what you want, when you want, and God knows that's exactly what you've been doing from day one. So there's really no prerequisite for anything you do, is there? You can just decide, at any second of the day, that you've moved to a "date driven release" and boom, you're done. Just start doing it. No need to prepare.

So here again we have the after-the-fact rationalization and attempt to hide the fact that 3.0 was released to spike backer confidence for Christmas sales, and make it sound like their scam cash-grab was part of some grand reorganization scheme which of course will lead to streamlined production going forward and all kinds of things that are Good for Star Citizen™.

Sounds more to me like you hosed up, CIG - you hosed up and you know it, and you're trying to retcon it into part of some grand scheme; that you had to bite the bullet and release a substandard patch in order to have better things later on. ProTip: Not everyone is as stupid as your backers.

We are in the "This is what we are going to be doing differently" phase of the CIG talking points schedule. It affirms to the backer that they understand their frustrations and that they have a plan to fix it. Its usually done through a media blitz but since those are becoming more belligerent recently they've instead decided to go in solo since it would look particularly nasty if one of them mans up and asks them "Yeah, didnt you say this exact same thing yesteryear and we know exactly how that ended up right?".

Of course the entire thing tends to fall apart in a few months when they find out that not enticing people with feature release dates tend to depress sales and they need sales badly to keep the operation afloat.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

SomethingJones posted:

Q:

Calix Reneau:
Yeah, as usual, as usual we're finished from the gate...

Haha yeah, as usual. Whatever, at least that part is fini-

quote:

no, that's, ah... so much of... of this is coming together still, um... we're... we're ITERATING ON IT and doing all kinds of things and doing a whole other ASPECT to it, basically, ah, the interaction system is really good for finding things in the world to click on and... and... interacting with them in bespoke ways, just... go out there and see what you get, um...

:psyduck: I need to change my crazy pills prescription what the gently caress?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Star Citizen is like a diamond with infinite facets, all of them deeply flawed and revealing failure.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ComfyPants posted:

Haha yeah, as usual. Whatever, at least that part is fini-

:psyduck: I need to change my crazy pills prescription what the gently caress?

Sorry, you can't change them. CIG ate them all and you have to make do with the inferior generic brand. I would suggest you switch to crazy-suppressant pills instead, but unfortunately, CIG ate all of those too and so far, the result of that mix has been… erratic.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Matt "Skillcheck" Sherman ladies and gentlemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

*burst into thread* I heard that Derek was gonna post pics of his dog! Am I to late?