Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leal posted:

I dunno man, have you seen the Bing Bag Theory? It's a really good show

Bazinga

That uh... first comment.

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

There used to be audio on YouTube, but it's been pretty much scrubbed from the site. They still have The Geek Wants Out though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CknjDqOeRnU

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 15, 2018

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

business hammocks posted:

The internet reactionary turn seems tied up in economic insecurity and the decline of white supremacy and a white majority, neither of which were there for Cline in his formative years when he was just having a good time reading Sandman and reciting Monty Python with that one girl who was cool and not like other girls. I guess what I originally saw as a kind of reactionary politics in Ready Player One is actually a sort of contented obliviousness and genuine disinterest in political or cultural questions that is more typical of being a teen between 1985 and 1995, even though it's set in a world where capitalism seems to have collapsed and there is literal slavery.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you can overlook EDI's loving atrocious character model and Joker's creepiness (which is a huge ask, I admit) you're left with a pretty good character. She has some interesting dialog about her existence and her newfound freedom, and it ties in well to the overarching themes of the series

It might have been interesting if they actually explored that a bit and had the character like, disappointed that out of all the bodies they could have gotten they were placed into a sexbot for a weird pervert they thought actually respected them as an advanced AI or whatever.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bioware has an aversion to including romances with anything that doesn't heavily conform to conventional standards of attractiveness. It's the stated reason they didn't want to do any dwarf romances in Dragon Age.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Bioware has an aversion to including romances with anything that doesn't heavily conform to conventional standards of attractiveness. It's the stated reason they didn't want to do any dwarf romances in Dragon Age.

Someone find that varying forms of beauty picture from Dragon Age 2's concept art that was clearly just traces of people in heels that were edited out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Someone find that varying forms of beauty picture from Dragon Age 2's concept art that was clearly just traces of people in heels that were edited out.

I love that so much of DA's hate comes from "UGH THIS -GIRL- WROTE A KINDA DORKY POST ABOUT HOW MUCH SHE LIKES FANFIC AND ENJOYED WRITING A CHARACTER SHE DID" when there's so many actual reasons like this to mock that shitheap IP. Like, I'll defend Inquisition as the best of them, but hoo boy does DA make Mass Effect look competent even with Andromeda.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

*gigglesquee*

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TheWorstNun/status/952993354928844801

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ohhhh no gently caress you so much for this.

And gently caress me for knowing what that means from just the one word.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Monday Jimquistion, and it's not even about loot boxes this time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33UEg6N7xq8

Adelaide is the rear end in a top hat of Australia and that's coming from someone that lives in Brisbane aka the Florida of Australia.
They've always been weirdly like this; they were incredibly conservative under Premier Thomas Playford and banned shitloads of books that were even slightly controversial from being sold in regular bookshops and they were the state pushing hardest against the introduction of an R rating for video games.

I'd say that there's something in the water but their water is loving undrinkable.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

sexpig by night posted:

I love that so much of DA's hate comes from "UGH THIS -GIRL- WROTE A KINDA DORKY POST ABOUT HOW MUCH SHE LIKES FANFIC AND ENJOYED WRITING A CHARACTER SHE DID" when there's so many actual reasons like this to mock that shitheap IP. Like, I'll defend Inquisition as the best of them, but hoo boy does DA make Mass Effect look competent even with Andromeda.

Inquisition was the game that broke the whole Bioware Relationship Mechanic® for me. Before it, I was pretty indifferent for me, like, it wasn't exactly great, but I also don't really know what could have been a better system, but Inquisition was actively made worse by it's presence and the effect it had on the writing.

e X fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 16, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
To be fair, the R rating was a very good thing because it increased what got released here. Previously game devs either had to pray a review would get their game classified as MA15+ or just be told to gently caress off with their unwholesome devil's software.

Adelaide's still a wretched shithole though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Testekill posted:

Adelaide is the rear end in a top hat of Australia and that's coming from someone that lives in Brisbane aka the Florida of Australia.
They've always been weirdly like this; they were incredibly conservative under Premier Thomas Playford and banned shitloads of books that were even slightly controversial from being sold in regular bookshops and they were the state pushing hardest against the introduction of an R rating for video games.

I'd say that there's something in the water but their water is loving undrinkable.

It's blue isn't it?

Also, I'm trying to track down a video I thought Lindsay had done about the misogyny and other problems with Scream Queens. Coming up empty though, anyone else remember this?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

e X posted:

Inquisition was the game that broke the whole Bioware Relationship Mechanic® for me. Before it, I was pretty indifferent for me, like, it wasn't exactly great, but I also don't really know what could have been abetter system, but Inquisition was actively made worse by it's presence and the effect it had on the writing.

i've always hated relationships in mass effect because they do not even remotely work like a real relationship and sex is treated as the reward and end goal, rather than a regular part of having a relationship with someone. it's extremely amateur hour garbage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

financially racist posted:

i've always hated relationships in mass effect because they do not even remotely work like a real relationship and sex is treated as the reward and end goal, rather than a regular part of having a relationship with someone. it's extremely amateur hour garbage.

I agree. The relationships can be summed up as "You have achieved sex with your partner of choice. Now never speak to them again."

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Also, I'm trying to track down a video I thought Lindsay had done about the misogyny and other problems with Scream Queens. Coming up empty though, anyone else remember this?

I know GoingRampant did a review of season one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I agree. The relationships can be summed up as "You have achieved sex with your partner of choice. Now never speak to them again."

Seems realistic to me :iamafag:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I know GoingRampant did a review of season one.

:doh: This is what I was thinking of, thanks!

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wasn't there a thing prior to ME3 where Bioware was all, "why would we bother making females of other species? How would that even work, put bows on them, lol?" I just remember being kinda... confused. That's so boring! Why bother with sci-fi if you aren't interested in playing with the sci?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

There used to be audio on YouTube, but it's been pretty much scrubbed from the site. They still have The Geek Wants Out though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CknjDqOeRnU

Oh god.

I REMEMBER this. I DOWNLOADED this. I thought "all he wants is stupid poo poo" was really funny, and that the idea was that the author was getting past childlike obsessions with toys and that he hated that part of himself. For a young man who was trying to balance being the kind of guy who helped plan anti-war protests and the kind of guy who had opinions about how the LOTR movies were adapting the source material, it struck a bit of a chord. I thought it ended implying that you don't need to balance different parts of yourself, it's fine to like things, just don't let that be the only thing you care about. But considering his other work...

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's the stated reason they didn't want to do any dwarf romances in Dragon Age.

Which was some real bullshit, cause then they introduced Harding in Inquisition who was like the cutest lady in there. :arghfist:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean the only benefit of this is that Varric didn't try to immediately gently caress me just because I happened to be nice to him in a few conversations. Whereas everyone else were super uncomfortably eager to gently caress me.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

e X posted:

Inquisition was the game that broke the whole Bioware Relationship Mechanic® for me. Before it, I was pretty indifferent for me, like, it wasn't exactly great, but I also don't really know what could have been a better system, but Inquisition was actively made worse by it's presence and the effect it had on the writing.

I got it broken in Origins when I abruptly found myself somehow cheating on my intended partner with the bard lady, despite having never done any sort of romantic dialog with her at all. Everyone was upset and I was like, "When did this happen?! :psyduck:" Just couldn't get into it after that.

And yeah, I wish games with romantic interests had some kind of writing for AFTER the hookup. There's interesting stuff after you get together! Development doesn't end at loving!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Inquisition at least addressed that by having an epilogue with a time-skip.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Nuebot posted:

It might have been interesting if they actually explored that a bit and had the character like, disappointed that out of all the bodies they could have gotten they were placed into a sexbot for a weird pervert they thought actually respected them as an advanced AI or whatever.

joker didn't put her in the sexbot, he just isn't complaining

although making joker gay / ace / not sexually attracted to women and having him be conflicted over loving edi but not finding her sexbot body attractive would have been a much better plot line, imo

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The romances tend to be the worst aspects of any Bioware game, but didn’t Inquisition at least indicate which dialogue option would lead to the romance? I seem to remember all those options being highlighted with a heart symbol, and by avoiding those I managed to not get dragged into a romance plot during either of my playthroughs of the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
2 did that as well but with some characters in 2 the romance was half their non-plot dialogue.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It occurs to me that gigglesquee is the sort of thing you put on Tumblr post tags like #agdjfkgkdj or #AHHHHH or whatever

Which would explain why so many people who frequently use Tumblr love Bioware games and the romances

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ungulateman posted:

although making joker gay / ace / not sexually attracted to women and having him be conflicted over loving edi but not finding her sexbot body attractive would have been a much better plot line, imo

Even just the simple concept of "being in love with a machine that lacks a anthropomorphic form" could've gone someplace.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
At first I thought "Joker" was referring to Persona 5 and I had terrible flashbacks to discussion of the series.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Did the game ever bring up his brittle bone disease in combination with the fact that EDI's new body is made out of heavy rear end metal?

Like, isn't the implication there that sex with her would actually kill him?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Did the game ever bring up his brittle bone disease in combination with the fact that EDI's new body is made out of heavy rear end metal?

Yes actually, your Shepard can bring up this fact when he gently discourages Joker from hooking up with Edi and to just be her friend.

And also Joker discusses with Mordin how to have sex with Edi without breaking all his bones

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Leon Thomas posted his feature-length Renegade Cut about the Left Behind movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxN1DXmSdA

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

John Murdoch posted:

Even just the simple concept of "being in love with a machine that lacks a anthropomorphic form" could've gone someplace.

they coulda literally just done Her first and had him have a plot about developing a real emotional bond with an advanced AI that's technically programmed to be subservient to him and dealing with the questions of if it's a real bond or if he just likes that she's an agreeable and friendly voice. They coulda done literally anything but 'random sexy fembot' and it would have been ok.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WampaLord posted:

now THAT'S a different kind of boneitis :pervert:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Heavy rear end metal.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It wouldn't be the first time Mass Effect linked sex and death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6ngV-Kcyw

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw thanks for the shoutout shaun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

financially racist posted:

I thought the Kaidan/Ashley romances were done decent well in the first one. Well enough for video game writing, anyway. They rightly point out that sleeping with their superior officer is pretty sketchy in its own right and a huge violation of regulations regardless of their feelings, and only rethink their position when you go rogue, burn all your bridges, and head out for almost-certain death in Geth space on the basis of "well, we can't get in more trouble." It fit well with the whole pulp sci-fi/space opera thing they were going for.

Though I also generally believe that turning away from being part of the Spectres/Alliance Officer was a bad writing move on the whole. Having to actually report in and justify your actions to a group that has authority over you was interesting from an RP perspective, even if there didn't end up being any actual consequences from it in the end. It's similarly why the first Walking Dead is my favorite Telltale game. Clementine keeps Lee accountable to his actions and requires him to explain why he did things for expedience or gratification instead of doing the right thing. Both games still let you be an unrepentant self-serving rear end in a top hat if you want to, but the rest of the world actually reacts accordingly to that behavior.

I dunno, I'm a sucker for any RPG that asks you to be more than a murderhobo.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 16, 2018

• Locked thread