Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/FredCStresing/status/952367973582495750

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Who keeps raiding my secret romance pulp drawer?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Who keeps raiding my secret romance pulp drawer?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I've seen that book. Yes it's demographic is creepy boomer aged retired Canadian snowbirds summering in South Florida on the Gulf Coast.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
A book so famous it has its own Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_(novel)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

All I can think about is a big burly gay man going hetero for a lady, my mind is protecting me from truths I could not bear.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randaconda posted:

Absolutely horrific words and images

We need some combination of :canada: and :stonk:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We need some combination of :canada: and :stonk:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yessssss

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I laughed but I’m also an idiot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I always take stuff like this as an indication that a lot of people just... do not read. Even people who hand out literary awards, apparently! They hear through the grapevine that a particular book is popular or profane and go along with the zeitgeist.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What I want to know is if all bears have asymmetrical balls or just that one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Who What Now posted:

What I want to know is if all bears have asymmetrical balls or just that one?

Well, you know how to find the answer.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ImpAtom posted:

Well, you know how to find the answer.

Get a study grant or partner with National Geographic for a 2 year survey in the wilds?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zil posted:

Get a study grant or partner with National Geographic for a 2 year survey in the wilds?

That or gently caress a lot of bears, whichever.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ImpAtom posted:

That or gently caress a lot of bears, whichever.

I thought that was implied, I was just making sure there was a source of funding for the endeavor. Don't want to give it away for free now.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Rolo posted:

I laughed but I’m also an idiot.

Reading comics has never been so succinctly described

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I always take stuff like this as an indication that a lot of people just... do not read. Even people who hand out literary awards, apparently! They hear through the grapevine that a particular book is popular or profane and go along with the zeitgeist.

Basically every piece of award-winning Canadian fiction ever is this:

- person is emotionally damaged
- person has an unconventional encounter with nature
- person returns to civilization rejuvenated

Bear is just a more extreme and artistically insane version of this, so of course it won awards.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

Basically every piece of award-winning Canadian fiction ever is this:

- person is emotionally damaged
- person has an unconventional encounter with nature
- person returns to civilization rejuvenated

Bear is just a more extreme and artistically insane version of this, so of course it won awards.

What was the name of that series of YA books about this weird kid, then adult repeatedly finding himself stuck in the Canadian wilderness and having to fend for himself?

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What was the name of that series of YA books about this weird kid, then adult repeatedly finding himself stuck in the Canadian wilderness and having to fend for himself?

Hatchet?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
So.. was The Revenant based on Bear? I just assume.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yeah. Turns out it was an American novel, so I guess I was off with the joke-like thing I was trying to build up. :smith:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
http://www.canlitgenerator.com

A teenager spends 455 pages wandering through that desert in Quebec, you know the one, without realizing that Drake references aren't inherently hip or funny.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think it was...

Yeah that series.

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah. Turns out it was an American novel, so I guess I was off with the joke-like thing I was trying to build up. :smith:

Just read the wiki he does end up in Canada in the second book

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just when he thought he was out, they pulled him back in.

"Hey, Paul, I think my sister got lost in Central Park."

'I'll need a plane piloted by a guy whose going to die any minute, a hatchet, and some matches.'

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That was a series?! How is that story in any way a repeatable formula?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Looks like things immediately went off the rails in the second book.

quote:

Brian Robeson, a 13-year-old boy who spent 54 days surviving alone in the Canadian wilderness the previous summer, is hired by the government to again live in the woods with only two knives and surviving only by his wits, so the military can learn his survival techniques.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought the kid's name was Paul. Was that the name of the author or?

(Googles)

Ah, the author's name was Gary Paulsen.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I only read a couple chapters of the sequel but his trying to re-integrate into society after being Grizzly Adams was done... well?

Also, we'll never know who was the better frontiersman, Hatchet or My Side of the Mountain, because neither of them had to start from zero.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Lizard Combatant posted:

That was a series?! How is that story in any way a repeatable formula?

iirc there was one book where the people send him back to document his survival techniques and it all gets hosed up because of a storm, and another book where it's an alternate timeline where the main boy doesn't get rescued before winter arrives. i think there's a bear in that one

i read a lot of gary paulsen as a kid.

if you think those sequels were crazy, you should check out the sequels to "night" by elie wiesel

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

trapped mouse posted:

iirc there was one book where the people send him back to document his survival techniques and it all gets hosed up because of a storm, and another book where it's an alternate timeline where the main boy doesn't get rescued before winter arrives. i think there's a bear in that one

i read a lot of gary paulsen as a kid.

if you think those sequels were crazy, you should check out the sequels to "night" by elie wiesel

Is “bailing on plans when it storms” not a survival technique?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kenny Logins posted:

http://www.canlitgenerator.com

A teenager spends 455 pages wandering through that desert in Quebec, you know the one, without realizing that Drake references aren't inherently hip or funny.

Three undergraduates from diverse backgrounds absent-mindedly conduct a maple syrup heist only to return with a broken soul.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rolo posted:

Is “bailing on plans when it storms” not a survival technique?
The government agent has a heart attack or a high fever or something that renders him immobile and the kid has to use their emergency raft to go down a river because the storm made air evac impossible.

...yes I remember this.

Also how did nobody notice this:

Those balls aren't asymmetrical. They're assymetrical.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

could that be a US/British english things? Like color/colour or how they call elevators "lorries" or whatever?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

could that be a US/British english things? Like color/colour or how they call elevators "lorries" or whatever?

Very much the case. Just like Americans call torches "blink-bulbs"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I think youll find we call them the blinky bulby flashy washer

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Put on a perspirator and take a blinky bulby if you're going out at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Put on a perspirator and take a blinky bulby if you're going out at night.

Where's your hi-vis vest? You wanna get hit?