Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Lowen posted:

Minecarts in this game are pretty rad, but what's wrong with Minecraft minecarts?

You can't make a minecart out of the corpses of bosses in Minecraft for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Lowen posted:

Minecarts in this game are pretty rad, but what's wrong with Minecraft minecarts?

Slow, IIRC unpowered, require lots of material to get more than a dozen blocks worth of track,can't run people over to kill them, did I mention slow and expensive?

Terraria gives you like 50 for one iron and one wood, Minecraft gives 16 standard rails for 6 iron and a stick.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grinning Goblin posted:

You can't make a minecart out of the corpses of bosses in Minecraft for one.

With like lasers and stuff on it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ashsaber posted:

Slow, IIRC unpowered, require lots of material to get more than a dozen blocks worth of track,can't run people over to kill them, did I mention slow and expensive?

Terraria gives you like 50 for one iron and one wood, Minecraft gives 16 standard rails for 6 iron and a stick.

The only way around this is to hope you run into a mineshaft.

Terraria minecarts/railways are cool, I always have a problem in changing the elevation though....

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ashsaber posted:

Terraria is hugely generous with minecart tracks and it's excellent. Whenever I get the itch and start from scratch with my friends one of the first major projects I do when I finish up the basic housing complex is start laying down sky tracks to the ends of the world because it's cheap enough to be feasible to do even during pre hardmode progression and it saves a ton of travel time.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I also inevitability build a skyrail after making my NPC Apartment Complex. The only issue I have with it is that it feels tacky, but I can’t imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to build and maintain a subway under the surface.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Get a Daedelus Stormbow, craft a stack of holy arrows, and watch it melt.

If you don't want to farm hallowed mimics for the stormbow, any repeater with holy arrows will do quite well too, but the stormbow makes it a one sided stomp.

can't find any mimics but I did craft a titanium repeater and a stack of holy arrows. he randomly showed up again and I got him down to ~30% before getting killed so....progress! Also I wasn't expecting him so I had no buffs and still don't have great defensive accessories so, once again back to the grind :sigh:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

i am tim! posted:

I also inevitability build a skyrail after making my NPC Apartment Complex. The only issue I have with it is that it feels tacky, but I can’t imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to build and maintain a subway under the surface.

I would never want to make a subway anyway because one of the biggest advantages of a skyrail is that there won't be a ton of monsters spawning in the way. Any monster you can't gib on a minecart track hits you and expert hard mode enemies sting like a motherfucker.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

GobiasIndustries posted:

can't find any mimics but I did craft a titanium repeater and a stack of holy arrows. he randomly showed up again and I got him down to ~30% before getting killed so....progress! Also I wasn't expecting him so I had no buffs and still don't have great defensive accessories so, once again back to the grind :sigh:

Can't find hallowed mimics? Make 'em! Craft a key with 15(?) souls of light and stick it in an otherwise empty chest. Ta da! As soon as you close the interface it becomes a hallowed mimic! Now die because you didn't expect them to do that much damage or fly onto your head, try again now that you know what to expect, and kill between one and seven goddamn hundred because all I want is a stormbow why are you giving me so many grappling hooks. Or something like that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Well, sounds like you should be able to take it out fine if you buff up, including an archery potion for substantially more arrow damage, and craft a summon item to kill it at the time and place of your choosing.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Ashsaber posted:

I think that's part of what I like about Terraria vs Minecraft, there's less grind to do big builds in general. I incorporated that into mods i've designed for Starbound where I make sure players get a lot of building material, like converting one natural block into 50 build blocks. My users seem to really appreciate it, and honestly who wants to sit digging stuff out when you just want to build big cool things?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Finally beat the Destroyer! :woop: Titanium Armor set w/ accessories that got me to 60 defense, titanium repeater w/ holy arrows, and well-fed/ironskin/regen/archery buffs, plus campfires all over the place.

Still came close to dying :sigh: What's next, grinding for better accessories to try and take down the other mechanical bosses?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Make the Onyx Blaster, if you haven't already (crystal bullets are pretty great with it). Start collecting all the crap you need for the Ankh Shield. Work towards taking out the other two mechanical bosses so you can craft hallowed bar stuff. Definitely start building a fairly sizable arena in the underground jungle, if you haven't already. You'll also want to poke around the jungle for life fruits to raise your hitpoint total to 500.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Finally beat the Destroyer! :woop: Titanium Armor set w/ accessories that got me to 60 defense, titanium repeater w/ holy arrows, and well-fed/ironskin/regen/archery buffs, plus campfires all over the place.

Still came close to dying :sigh: What's next, grinding for better accessories to try and take down the other mechanical bosses?
... Wait, were you fighting it at ground level? I recommend making a row of platforms a ways off the ground so itcan't get to you as easily and you can mostly shoot down at it. And don't forget heart lanterns to go with the campfires.

And see what you can make with the hallowed bars and/or Souls of Might it dropped.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

... Wait, were you fighting it at ground level? I recommend making a row of platforms a ways off the ground so itcan't get to you as easily and you can mostly shoot down at it. And don't forget heart lanterns to go with the campfires.

And see what you can make with the hallowed bars and/or Souls of Might it dropped.

Nope, I was ~equal to the cloud islands as far as height goes (small world). I guess not high enough because it was still leaping up at me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nope, I was ~equal to the cloud islands as far as height goes (small world).

on a small world, you could probably be in outer space and the destroyer will still reach you. it has a set maximum vertical velocity that it can travel at, and it isn't affected by world size. small worlds are actually a lot stumpier than even medium worlds.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nope, I was ~equal to the cloud islands as far as height goes (small world). I guess not high enough because it was still leaping up at me.
No, it does that. If you're on the ground though it'll likely cover a LOT of the ground, so you'll have a lot of it to avoid rather than the one loop from it jumping up at you.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Beat the other two mechanical bosses :woop: Only thing I changed was reforging some of my equipment to give defensive buffs and I crafted some cursed arrows. Skeletron Prime was a lot of fun, used the same vertical arena from the Destroyer encounter. The Twins kicked my rear end twice before I just made a single horizontal platform between two cloud islands and from there it was super simple, I only used one healing potion and even that was just as an in-case.

Now it's off to the jungle!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I remember the difference between a mechanical boss kicking my rear end and farming all 3 mechanicals bosses at once being about a week, this game is so good with natural progression and I wish they had kept releasing updates for it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to get the Truffle NPC to spawn now but he just isn't :( I've set up what appears to be a surface level mushroom biome (background changes and gets darker, music changes, music box recorded mushroom music), it's over 50' away from any corruption and the housing check says it's suitable. I've beat Plantera and read that it might have been a glitch in previous versions but most of the posts are from several years ago and this seems like something that shoulda been fixed. It's been over two weeks in-game since I got the biome set up, am I missing something super obvious? I've got two other housing options that are currently open so I don't think he's waiting in line or anything

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Post Plantera already? On Mobile he spawns as soon as I enter hardmode...

Google Truffle house and see what others' look like in case there's something you're doing wrong, but I doubt it

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I think you need >=100 mushroom grass tiles for it to work, even if the background and music change there could still be too few tiles for the game to consider it a permanent biome. Maybe try planting more mushroom grass?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's frustrating, the only other NPCs I'm missing are the Tax Collector, Stylist, and Santa, all of whom have obvious reasons that I haven't gotten them yet. Considering a bump in equipment would help put me over the edge with the Golem it's been frustrating not to have the Truffle spawn.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If I remember, the Truffle biome needs to be underground to spawn him, on top of being a suitable house and in the mushroom biome.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Infinite Karma posted:

If I remember, the Truffle biome needs to be underground to spawn him, on top of being a suitable house and in the mushroom biome.
In the PC version you can definitely do it aboveground. I usually make his house way up in the sky over my town, so that the whole town doesn't get hit with his mushroom biome change.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Infinite Karma posted:

*above ground. if it's low enough that, if you could see the background, it would've transitioned to the below-ground tile (this is much more shallow than you'd think--even more so on maps that generate at low elevations--and you generally can't tell because it's blocked out by dirt walls), it's way too low. better to do it on the surface at the same elevation as your other houses.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

I made a mushroom UFO just a little below space to house the Truffle and Cyborg once. Underground is definitely not required.

e:f;b

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The White Dragon posted:

*above ground. if it's low enough that, if you could see the background, it would've transitioned to the below-ground tile (this is much more shallow than you'd think--even more so on maps that generate at low elevations--and you generally can't tell because it's blocked out by dirt walls), it's way too low. better to do it on the surface at the same elevation as your other houses.

Okay, that sounds right. I remember having the same problem with the Truffle spawning, and it was because the elevation was wrong. Maybe the original house is still too low, then?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I mean maybe but it's at 194' in the Surface, pretty much right next to where the original spawn point for the world was (where I made my base). Do I need to craft the house out of mushrooms or something? I just used wood.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
how far above surface on a large world is a skyrailway 'safe' from harpy/wyvern spawns?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's fairly high, but a player riding a skyrail should be almost entirely safe from wyverns and harpies anyway by nature of how fast you move

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey that rear end in a top hat Truffle spawned! I didn't do anything even near my base since my post, was just exploring the jungle to get more material for armor upgrades. I guess bitching about the RNG on the internet helps things :)

...then he got killed during a solar eclipse before I could gather the money to buy stuff from him :(

e: he showed up, got my new ore, kicked the Golem's rear end! man this game is fun even though there's a bit more grinding for materials than I'd prefer.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 16, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Solar Eclipse is still good news, getting a Death Sickle to drop during one will turn the tables infinitely in your favor in battle, especially underground, so keep trying

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Solar Eclipse is still good news, getting a Death Sickle to drop during one will turn the tables infinitely in your favor in battle, especially underground, so keep trying

I actually just got one of these to drop and it's pretty kickass.

That being said, gently caress solar elipses. Those enemies loving railroad me over and over and over and I hate that it can roll right into a blood moon like it just did. I think the worst I had was solar ellipse to blood moon to a goblin invasion the next day :smithicide: I don't mind the mass invasions, but sometimes I just want to talk to my npcs instead of waiting for them to not be dead :(

So now it's time to figure out how to proceed post-Golem. Didn't get any hints after killing him (that I noticed) so I think it's gonna be farming him more and wandering until I encounter something new that kicks my rear end.

ps thanks to everyone who's been giving me tips, it was nice to find a semi-active thread for general advice about this game :)

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

GobiasIndustries posted:

So now it's time to figure out how to proceed post-Golem. Didn't get any hints after killing him (that I noticed) so I think it's gonna be farming him more and wandering until I encounter something new that kicks my rear end.

"Screams are echoing from the dungeon..."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Xenaero posted:

*too late realizing that the 'screams' is Welcome To The Jungle being played at full blast to the endless rattle of laughing bones and rockets*

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Xenaero posted:

Man was the cultist fun! He shredded me the first time we fought but after making it through a Martian encounter and getting the UFO mount, as well as actually carrying healing potions with me (I have no idea how I didn't have them the first time around :smithicide:, musta accidentally put a stack in a chest) I took him out pretty easily. Beetle armor, Ankh Shield, Star Veil, Diving Gear (they crafted with Warding ), Frostspark Boots (also not helpful but they have +3 defense) and Beetle Wings (same as the boots). Only weapon I used was a Godly Possessed Hatchet, which I loving love and it dropped with that buff which is even cooler because I didn't have to waste a shitload of money reforging it.

So now it's the Pillars, I'm guessing there are a few equipment upgrades I'm going to need?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Man was the cultist fun! He shredded me the first time we fought but after making it through a Martian encounter and getting the UFO mount, as well as actually carrying healing potions with me (I have no idea how I didn't have them the first time around :smithicide:, musta accidentally put a stack in a chest) I took him out pretty easily. Beetle armor, Ankh Shield, Star Veil, Diving Gear (they crafted with Warding ), Frostspark Boots (also not helpful but they have +3 defense) and Beetle Wings (same as the boots). Only weapon I used was a Godly Possessed Hatchet, which I loving love and it dropped with that buff which is even cooler because I didn't have to waste a shitload of money reforging it.

So now it's the Pillars, I'm guessing there are a few equipment upgrades I'm going to need?
There's also new enemies actually in the dungeon.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Duke Fishron and the Moon Lord are kicking my loving rear end :( I've got 81 defense pre-buffs, the stardust dragon, vampire knives, a chaingun w/ chlorophite bullets, beetle armor, a ufo mount, and both of them still just shred me to pieces. I do better with the Moon Lord but the Duke just kicks my rear end, as in like 5 hits from him and I'm done even with ironskin and regen potions. Both of these dudes are loving awful to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Duke Fishron and the Moon Lord are kicking my loving rear end :( I've got 81 defense pre-buffs, the stardust dragon, vampire knives, a chaingun w/ chlorophite bullets, beetle armor, a ufo mount, and both of them still just shred me to pieces. I do better with the Moon Lord but the Duke just kicks my rear end, as in like 5 hits from him and I'm done even with ironskin and regen potions. Both of these dudes are loving awful to deal with
You have (long since) reached the point in the game where not getting hit and killing things before they kill you are more important than just increasing your defense.

Have you tried making a Vortex Beater? It's extremely inaccurate, but if you're rocking chlorophyte bullets that's not a problem. For the Moon Lord specifically, if you got a UFO mount from the martian invasion, you can use it to fly away from him at exactly the same speed he goes. Load up a Shroomite armor set with the bullet hat, get a philospher's stone or an accessory made out of it to use potions more often, and get in a loving damage race.