Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Was just wrapping up at work and put one of the streamers on in the background who was watching Calling All Devs (CaD)

He didnt even wait for it to end to declare, 'well that was non-informational'

They know they're being bullshitted and they don't seem to care. I heard more about some 300j jpeg than anything planned for 2018, it was all just bumbling rambling nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen is like a diamond with infinite facets, all of them deeply flawed and revealing failure.

:perfect:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reminder in the time that CIG will push out Mining 0.0 Elite would have mining operational for like 4 years and would already have overhauled it partially once with a few months to go before they do a bigger overhaul.

Oddly enough Elite announced that they were going into a time based quarterly patch schedule last year after being in a rut for a while except their first patch has actual content in it and not bug fixing poo poo that should have been part of their previous patch. Also its going into open beta in like 10 days.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm jealous of CIG's ability to release a technical video bringing the word straight from the mouth of the devs that's designed to communicate absolutely nothing technical but instead reassure backers that there are human beings who are super interested in the same things they're interested in and having the same discussions they're having.

They're able to pass off fan speculation videos as community engagement.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

MedicineHut posted:

The only real beacon of hope for the project is the funding tracker.

Backers have long ago given up on the old axiom that the game is already funded (supported by various statements by Chris in the past). The delays, content cuts and overall mess 3.0 represents has ensured even the most white of knights are fully aware of the very long time left to complete SC as promised and the probable additional significant funds that will be required for that over and beyond the current figure...

No matter how crappy, buggy, glitchy and content starved the alpha is there will always be hope as long as that funding tracker keeps showing unwaveringly 2-3 millions a month.

Pretty sure I saw a cultist talking about polished pipelines recently. The insanity never stops.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Q: Dear Rockstar Will We Horse?

A: Wow yeah uh.... that's uh.... you know *all laugh* a great question I.... mean just a great question it's one we've.... uh, yeah.... ah, we've.... ah ha had a lot around the office and at tables and in... just this very room recently so I guess you could say that we were horsing around but it's *all laugh* a topic we take very seriously but yeah it's a very important, ah, you see it's a TOPIC.... that's really in keeping with the core, as in to say how is SPACE defined and how.... does.... we or... the player move through it and what does that space mean to a HORSE? It's hard, ah, to factor in TWO MINDSETS when contemplating the shape of space, uh... well... you see when you equip a saddle.... two or three materials, ah.... so you need, art departments, who.... are just down the hall from us, and... they're really engaged with the community as well and there's lore to keep in mind. So... Uh.... equipping your horse, which we plan to really add a lot to uh... with respect to customization to, ah... really let players, uh, ah... decide how we're going to proceed because they're, ah... really the most important.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

So here again we have the after-the-fact rationalization and attempt to hide the fact that 3.0 was released to spike backer confidence for Christmas sales, and make it sound like their scam cash-grab was part of some grand reorganization scheme which of course will lead to streamlined production going forward and all kinds of things that are Good for Star Citizen™.

I sort of wonder if they were hoping enough people would hear about STAR CITIZEN 3.0 and not go looking, try and figure out how to play. pay $80 or something, and get hot poo poo.

like what's the minimum from zero to actually play 3.0? a preorder and some subscription? like $120?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Good taste Adz, good taste.

Edit: I just noticed the eyes JESUS CHRIST ADZ

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Just to clarify - Dave got that number from Tony Z

E: to clarify my clarification, the 1.9 million land claims fitting on a single planet came from Tony Z

So if 1.9 million of the largest land claims fit on a single planet (which, incidentally, would represent $190 million of revenue, or more than CIG's entire claimed funding total to date):

1.9 million land claims at 64 km^2 (8 km x 8 km) comes out to at least a 3110 km planetary radius, assuming no packing losses from trying to fit plots onto a sphere -- maybe they can be arbitrarily shaped so that they'll all fit in, as long as they have the stated total area. I guess I am also assuming that land claims are not instanced, so that it is impossible to have multiple claims in the same physical location.

For comparison, Reddit says the following about current moon sizes in 3.0:

Reddit posted:

In game (PTU 3.0). Delamar has a 75km radius, Daymar has radius of 295km, Cellin has a radius of 260km and Yella has a radius of 313km. Diameter = 2r, Surface area = 4(PI)r2. You can verify this using the altitude gauge and the moons map marker at the center of the moon. These compared to Jupiters moons (Io-Daymar, Ganymede-Cellin, Europa-Yella) and (Asteroid Ceres-Delamar) are between 1/10th to 1/5th smaller in radius.

So CIG are promising planets that are 10-40 times the diameter of the current moons, or 100-1600 times the surface area. And here I thought the current moons already looked barren...

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

So, the 300i... I'm going to have SO much information for you, ah... is DEFINITELY ON OUR RADAR, it's definitely one that we wanna REWORK, it is on the AGENDA to work on as you'd expect, I can't give you more information of what the date is, I know you're asking for it, we're looking at 2018, we're looking at a lot of what the long term is for a lot of the SHIPS, being one of the last reworked ships we're DEFINITELY SUPER INTERESTED in actually getting that done and out from under us and getting it into everybody's hands so we can keep moving on with the NEW SHIPS that are coming up, I can't give you any more than that but it's DEFINITELY ON OUR RADAR...

Star Citizen: Making the Actual Game is Definitely on Our Radar

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

The HR department is loitering outside of film studios across town.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

boviscopophobic posted:

So CIG are promising planets that are 10-40 times the diameter of the current moons, or 100-1600 times the surface area. And here I thought the current moons already looked barren...

The land-grab stuff makes it easier for them because they can put less on a planet or moon and have players fill the rest with "emergent gameplay" from claim staking and so forth.

Or they would if there was actual moons and planets rendered in their entirety, implemented mechanics, or an actual game.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

PrevailingYou 1 point 5 hours ago

My 315P is my main ship right now, its a bit better, you no longer fall out of the ship getting out of the ship, but its still not the luxury ship its meant to be.

quote:

Ya, I have the same one. I like it. Getting cargo in that you pick up from outposts or the ground is impossible, though. Spent about 45 minutes trying to throw it in lol

quote:

I've not tried cargo yet. I've heard you can't carry cargo in, only buy it due to the ladder. I have a feeling they will replace it with a lift or a ramp.

quote:

danidas 1 point 4 hours ago

Land the ship upside down as it is easier to load cargo into it that way.

quote:

The doors function as a handy ramp, just be mindful of the artificial gravity.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Emergent gameplay.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

It won't be barren for long with the emergent city building gameplay.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 16, 2018

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The land-grab stuff makes it easier for them because they can put less on a planet or moon and have players fill the rest with "emergent gameplay" from claim staking and so forth.

Or they would if there was actual moons and planets rendered in their entirety, implemented mechanics, or an actual game.

Or players

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Galarox posted:

lol. Enjoy :)

The only way this could be better is replacing "sabre tooths" with "B'taks". Otherwise another :five:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

crowdsourcing gameplay

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Dogeh posted:

Ooh, I hadn't considered that.
MoMA, do you post on the Frontier Forums?

Yes. I have many aliases.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes. I have many anuses.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
One of these days, tho, I'm betting MoMA will own me by posting back something akin to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JlGgYAuDv0

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

CrazyLoon posted:

One of these days, tho, I'm betting MoMA will own me by posting back something akin to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JlGgYAuDv0

Nah, just not in a good-enough mood. My BTC, LTC and XRP are all down right now :negative:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nah, just not in a good-enough mood. My BTC, LTC and XRP are all down right now :negative:

Legit sad for you, commando. :sympathy:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm told tulips are a much better investment.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Does the JPG market still hold ?

Zzr fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 16, 2018

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

he might be tempted by a few Kerri-Lee JPGs

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Hugging my bitcoin a lot today.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Toast, Steven, Kam-man, etc.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Galarox posted:

lol - thanks for wading through that awfulness to transcribe it. My fave bit was Pappy saying "no" in answer to Hobos' question. I genuinely lol'd when I watched it. Still you have done proper justice to the absolute word salad that these poor fucks were coming up with, good job!

Worth it mate, worth it

Can I just say for the thread, on the record, that transcribing the jibber-blabber that spews forth from Matt Sherman's flapping blapping mouth is worse than anything I've done for Chris Roberts by a factor of approximately 10^64

This is your tech designer for your $200 million crowdfunded game who cannot construct or communicate a single coherent idea, sentence, answer or description FOR THE BACKERS, on video, in his work environment. What a loving absolute shitshow and a complete embarassment and a total scam this whole thing is.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Can I just say for the thread, on the record, that transcribing the jibber-blabber that spews forth from Matt Sherman's flapping blapping mouth is worse than anything I've done for Chris Roberts by a factor of approximately 10^64

Recounting my experiences from the age of caring I can attest to the fact that he's also a real jerk.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 16, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ManofManyAliases posted:

You could use some alias bleach

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SomethingJones posted:

Calling All Devs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNZwjLSPZMc

Q:
How many land claim licenses will fit on a planet or moon?

That this was the first question on an entirely new show ostensibly about getting the community’s pressing unanswered questions addressed by the development staff says so drat much and none of it good. I’m surprised Haddock didn’t know the Stanton planet & moon count, nor seemingly did Lando.

4 Planets, 12 Moons. Please consult my 3.0 infographic for details, guys. And how interesting that “100 Systems” were cited as the long term target. Why remind people that the journey of a thousand miles that got decimated to 100 at best is in fact still so very very very much longer?

quote:

Q:
What is modularity?

Matt Sherman:
It's how we're able to build a giant, you know, multi star system GAME, ah, without KILLING OURSELVES.

It’s year 6 Matt and so far you’re still at 1/4th of 1 Star System and it performs miserably by design. :hfive:

quote:

Q:
The inner thought system and player interaction in general, is that it? Are we done?

Calix Reneau:
Yeah, as usual, as usual we're finished from the gate...

Interesting to see this self-deprecation. Minor though it is, CIG workers typically doesn’t speak critically of their systemic failings. Delays when they are acknowledged almost always get a Miyamoto “rushed game” byte or some other special pleading about the difficulties of doing that which has never been done before,. Sometimes, schedules slip but its for the best.

quote:

Todd Papy:
Steve's on the beach drinking BEERS, ah, RELAXING, I'm... I'm in the office working, so...

Yeah it's basically I was here for a couple of days, they put me at Steve Bender's desk, I don't know why, it needs to be DOUSED and basically SANITIZED

I like Papy. He may be the most sober-voiced realist at the Director level of CIG and that he was promoted to Director of the Star Citizen’s Live Build is highly interesting, as is the fact that Lando didn’t know. A more honest title would probably be The Director of Bad Tidings, as SJ’s transcript already suggests. What a misery to have to face a mountain of technical debts daily and decide which pieces you’ll carry away today so it gets just a wee bit smaller. But they don’t need a dreamer in this roll; a dreamer built the mountain that the pragmatists must now start clearing, one miserable rock at a time.

Forgive me briefly if I use the Papy moment to drop another excerpt from an older, unfinished absolute monster of an Effort Post into the thread, but Papy’s place in it gives me the occasion. The longer piece is one that I am especially fond of, an extremely detailed analysis of Organizational Culture and Dysfunction at Cloud Imperium. (Forgive the abruptness of the open, I’m leaving out the preceding section as it’s too long and still rough in parts.)

quote:

...The disruptive chaos of Chris Roberts imperiousness and impulsiveness is localized -- like a tornado. The oppressive intimidation caused by his nepotistic caste system is diffuse.

That's what it looks like from the outside. It is indeed the very subtext (and sometimes text) of so much of their backer-funded programming and the liabilities of such a culture are obvious to anyone familiar with organizational life. Yet there is more and it is worse.

Much sport has been made about the Sand Worm transcript from Jump Point, yet some of the subtleties have been missed. To read it carefully is to see more than just Chris fighting to legitimize the 'reality' of a rash cinematic impulse hijacked from Herbert and given "life" for the one-time manipulation of synapses towards the financial imperative.

Read it again. See the distinct values in conflict within the vacuum. See the distortions of Roberts whimsical, personality-centered power as they unfold in the reading.

Foundry Level Designer Amit Boparai of Foundry 42 is a bemused skeptic, "Worm was defo a joke."

Value: Practicality, candor

Chris Roberts is the affronted dictator, "Worm was NOT A JOKE."

Value: Pride, Defensiveness

Josh Herman in LA is an obedient servant, "CR was not joking about the worm."

Value: Loyalty, obsequiousness

Todd Papy is a troubled conscience, "I just don't want to be selling something that we might not have in the game."

Value: Ethical concern

Skeptic, Dictator, Servant, Conscience -- four voices in collision in a single moment of organizational life inside CIG. In the vacuum of a mutually-agreed upon organizational values, negotiations like this about the meaning of corporate fiction are constantly improvised.

Having hit the obstacle of ethical concern, Roberts then shifts to allayer of misgivings and fount from whom all possibilities flow, "Sure. We aren't going to be selling something that won't be in the game. We are going to have creatures on our planets. We're going to have xenomorphs on wrecks, dangerous alien creatures on planets and so on, probably even a space whale / leviathan. Worlds need life and danger."

Viola! The monster quietly haunting CIG's more ethically-minded employees is vanquished by verbal fiat. As is so often the case, absurdities with certainty fly like balloons from the boss's mouth and float away where they will eventually pop in the ether of the forgotten.

There is so much going in in so brief a glimpse of the culture, but notice first the amazing fact that such a chaotic collision of values could be happening at year 5. In fact, this is what counts for normalcy at Cloud Imperium Games. It speaks flatly to the absence of transcendent organizational values that unite and constrain them -- save for the aforementioned subordinating demands of the money hunt.

It may seem a small thing, an employee stating on-the-record his discomfort with the boss’s unhinged compulsion to monetize overpromising, yet within so dysfunctional a workplace as CIG, it seems to me almost heroic. Far easier and more commonplace are the Lesnicks, Hermans, Tracys, Landos, Forrests and more who rubber-stamp Chris’s fever dream$ with nary a second thought like the faithful servants they are of Roberts corruptions and compulsions.

quote:

Q:
The 300i, where is it, where's our rework? What's happening, when?

Eric Kieron Davies:
When. It's the production part of me that's why you get to ask the 'when' question, right? A lot of whens, ok... ah... ahm... THREE HUNDRED EYE! It's a GREAT question, ah, the REWORK is... I believe the last of our original FIVE PLEDGE SHIPS and from what I understand it's one of the most owned ships... so there's a few people interested in what's going on with the 300i, fair enough...

So, the 300i... I'm going to have SO much information for you, ah... is DEFINITELY ON OUR RADAR, it's definitely one that we wanna REWORK, it is on the AGENDA to work on as you'd expect, I can't give you more information of what the date is, I know you're asking for it, we're looking at 2018, we're looking at a lot of what the long term is for a lot of the SHIPS, being one of the last reworked ships [b]we're DEFINITELY SUPER INTERESTED in actually getting that done and out from under us and getting it into everybody's hands so we can keep moving on with the NEW SHIPS that are coming up,[/b{ I can't give you any more than that but it's DEFINITELY ON OUR RADAR...

“From the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh...”

His enthusiasm for yet more ship redesigns is a about damning indictment of Cloud Imperium’s game dev priorities as one gets from a CIG sanctioned communication. Lord knows how much money and time have been spent over the years in redesigns of pre-Alpha assets yet rather than be troubled by the inefficiencies of their dysfunctional practices, they’re excited.

Also, Eric Davis’s new title came as a surprise to me. Director of the LA Studio? If he wasn’t a member of the Brahmin class before, he presumably is now. It I recall correctly there was a time when his title was Supervising Producer of Squadron 42,or something, and that during a time when hardly any work was being conducted or even spoken of for/about SQ42. The ad hockery continues!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 16, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's still amusing to me how it seems like they always get caught by surprise by their pre-selected questions on their pre-recorded show.

Guys, at least read the questions a few minutes before the filming starts to that you can lie more comfortably. No need to be like a figurative deer in the headlights.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Look at this amazing wear damage!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh wait, I thought this was the Elite thread, my bad.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

iospace posted:

Oh wait, I thought this was the Elite thread, my bad.

It's not even a game thread.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

It's still amusing to me how it seems like they always get caught by surprise by their pre-selected questions on their pre-recorded show.

Guys, at least read the questions a few minutes before the filming starts to that you can lie more comfortably. No need to be like a figurative deer in the headlights.

The subtext of Lando’s interactions with his guests was interesting. He seemed half-surprised he was being obliged. His single most substantive question was the one he blurted out off the top of his head when Papy, not Bender, answered the Skype call. Lando didn’t know Bender was gone and didn’t know Papy had a new title. Haddock didn’t know how many moons were in the only system that is playable, and he may have been author of their respective lore.

I enjoyed watching it though, and felt like I learned some things about CIG I didn’t know.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

iospace posted:

Look at this amazing wear damage!

DOPEFISH LIVES MATTER

(I want a diamondback)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

It all makes sense if it's viewed through the perspective of selling the idea of people talking to one another rather than the content of their conversation.

I mean not all of it we're still in loopy land but it makes a little more sense.