Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Slime posted:

The same way a bunch of genetic diseases haven't evolved out of the species. Common mutations, recessive genes, the disease being down to a combination of issues that would only rarely happen etc etc.

Yes, stuff that is obviously harmful but does not play into the grand scheme of evolution. In nature, the ones born with that stuff just get eaten and die early, and only the positive genetic straits survive. We just don't observe that because they simply do not survive to adult age.

For example in nature, becoming a blonde or red-head (or any other color variation) is usually harmful, because it also fucks your ability to blend into the background and hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm sorry, what? How the gently caress did that not evolve out of the species?

It would have if people would just let their mutant babies die, but alas

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Slime posted:

recessive genes

This is almost certainly the answer.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PMush Perfect posted:

This is almost certainly the answer.

Ok Liquid. Whatever you say.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, stuff that is obviously harmful but does not play into the grand scheme of evolution. In nature, the ones born with that stuff just get eaten and die early, and only the positive genetic straits survive. We just don't observe that because they simply do not survive to adult age.

For example in nature, becoming a blonde or red-head (or any other color variation) is usually harmful, because it also fucks your ability to blend into the background and hide.

Just wear hats, duh

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok Liquid. Whatever you say.

Wait, was everythhing Liquid did motivated by the fact that he couldn’t eat cheese without having diarrhea later?

EDIT: Oh, that’s why he called himself that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Solid Snake's fiber intake is kinda hosed up.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
royalnavy.txt from Massie's "Dreadnought"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

C.M. Kruger posted:

:catstare: the commander enameling the entire ship lol

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

C.M. Kruger posted:

how did they win everything

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having a fuckload more ships that weren't on full 'impress the royals' duty all the time, probably.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

how did they win everything

Moral Fibre.

Also to be fair, a lot of the British empire-building wasn't really about wars fought against other great powers on a similar technological level, it was more about invading places where the height of industry was a water-powered mill and murdering everyone until they signed bits of paper to make us stop.

I like the shortest war in history, the Anglo-Zanzibar war.
It was approximately 40 minutes of a single Royal Navy destroyer shelling a (mostly wooden) palace full of civilians. :britain:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not like there were other navies just as well equipped but more battle‐hardened.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."

and also apparently enamel.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Fully polished guns glistening in the sun. Forevereal pointlessly polishing and loving it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Navies have been known to rub things

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Rub and rum

https://twitter.com/NavalAuthor/status/955063203465179138

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

verbal enema posted:

Seamen makes a mess when the gun discharges.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Jan 23, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So my mom has been doing a bunch of family tree research lately, and it turns out we're direct descendents of Isaac Allerton, one of the 41 signers of the Mayflower Compact, and an important figure in not only Plymoth Colony but also New Amsterdam and New Haven as well(although admittedly his notoriety wasn't quite entirely for positive reasons)

Which is kinda surprising as I had before this point assumed my mother's side of the family didn't have anyone of note in them(while on my father's side I have a silent film era actor and director as a great grandfather, and I'm supposedly related to the Marx Brothers, although I'd have to ask my grandmother exactly what our degree of relationship was, also apparently her family's farm was one of the only one's not to be burned down or sacked by General Sherman during the later parts of the Civil War)

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

verbal enema posted:

yeah I suppose it's one way to keep the men off of each other

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

It's why I find submarine launches so romantic. 100 men go down, 50 couples come up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

One big disadvantage with the flamethrower is that it requires the wielder to strap on a big fuel tank which can easily be ignited by the enemy. During WWII the russians tried to solve this by camouflaging the flamethrower as a backpack and a rifle:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's actually pretty clever. In the heat of combat, I wouldn't exactly be double taking at each gun the bad guys had making sure it wasn't a different kind of horrible killing machine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

That's actually pretty clever. In the heat of combat, I wouldn't exactly be double taking at each gun the bad guys had making sure it wasn't a different kind of horrible killing machine.

The flamethrower is still gonna stand out though.

You know. Because it’s throwing flame.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The flamethrower is still gonna stand out though.

You know. Because it’s throwing flame.
I expect the purpose is to make it more likely that Ivan Flammenwerfer can make it to the bunker without being sniped because he's apparently Generic Rifleman #7, not Flamer Attachment #1.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nessus posted:

I expect the purpose is to make it more likely that Ivan Flammenwerfer can make it to the bunker without being sniped because he's apparently Generic Rifleman #7, not Flamer Attachment #1.

Yea that seems the likely purpose

also it should be Ваня огнемет (pron. Vanya Ogniemet) :commissar:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

That's actually pretty clever.

Certainly more clever than painting your horse black and white and pretend that it's a zebra.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krankenstyle posted:

Yea that seems the likely purpose

also it should be Ваня огнемет (pron. Vanya Ogniemet) :commissar:

That is the purpose, actually. One of the problems with flamethrowers is that you tend to be carrying around a can of heavily flammable and probably at least slightly explosive crap around on your back. That makes you a gigantic target as if you can make the flamethrower guy's tank explode you can kill his whole squad. Guess who tended to get shot at first? If you could hit that guy's fluid tank you could possibly make it blow up. If nothing else you wanted very badly for him to not get close to you so he got shot at first.

The response was to make his gear look as much like everybody else's as possible. Up close it would be pretty obvious but at a distance it'd be hard to tell, especially at a glance. Consider that war tends to be very dirty and smoky. Plus it'd be harder still to see that at night and not all fighting happened cleanly during the light of day.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Here's me thinking exploding flamethrowers was just a fiction thing,.goddamn.

Youll be telling me red explosive barrels are just lying about next.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That is the purpose, actually. One of the problems with flamethrowers is that you tend to be carrying around a can of heavily flammable and probably at least slightly explosive crap around on your back. That makes you a gigantic target as if you can make the flamethrower guy's tank explode you can kill his whole squad. Guess who tended to get shot at first? If you could hit that guy's fluid tank you could possibly make it blow up. If nothing else you wanted very badly for him to not get close to you so he got shot at first.

The response was to make his gear look as much like everybody else's as possible. Up close it would be pretty obvious but at a distance it'd be hard to tell, especially at a glance. Consider that war tends to be very dirty and smoky. Plus it'd be harder still to see that at night and not all fighting happened cleanly during the light of day.

Welp I was literally just kidding. I thought they were camouflaging the flamethrowers as busywork to poo poo on ol' Stalin.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krankenstyle posted:

Welp I was literally just kidding. I thought they were camouflaging the flamethrowers as busywork to poo poo on ol' Stalin.

Nope. Joke or not you were totally 100% correct. That was literally the purpose of making the flamethrower not look like one. That guy got shot first.

Granted there's also another practical side of it; if the flamethrower guy gets shot first nobody wants to be him so find out a way for him to not get shot first.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I was literally kidding though lol --- Why else would they camouflage it?

In other historical news, I've been looking through royal decrees regarding an area one of my ancestors came from and I came across one that said "2 farmers of Cronborg district namely [blah blah], may be reimbursed for two horses that were rammed to death by a deer" (May 22, 1724)

Guess the king was in a generous mood

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krankenstyle posted:

I was literally kidding though lol --- Why else would they camouflage it?

In other historical news, I've been looking through royal decrees regarding an area one of my ancestors came from and I came across one that said "2 farmers of Cronborg district namely [blah blah], may be reimbursed for two horses that were rammed to death by a deer" (May 22, 1724)

Guess the king was in a generous mood

It’s the king’s deer, innit?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

It’s the king’s deer, innit?

Yeah, true. All deer were the king's and the trees in the forests too. Still, he could've just said whatever to those two dudes, not like anyone could come and overrule him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah, true. All deer were the king's and the trees in the forests too. Still, he could've just said whatever to those two dudes, not like anyone could come and overrule him.

"Your horses shall be cut in two, so you both shall have two halves of dead horses."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Your horses shall be cut in two, so you both shall have two halves of dead horses."

Oh no doubt they ate them already (or sold what they couldn't eat in time), this was a reimbursement deal... probably took at least 2 weeks to get a royal decree back, if you even got a reply at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Video game flamethrowers tend to suck compared to the real life ones too, given they were basically hoses that spewed burning, sticky chemicals. Though apparently they were usually more useful for denying ground and destroying equipment than actual combat.

And generally it's a measure of practicality that the king would reimburse people for a stag killing horses, I'd bet, otherwise people would take things into their own hands with poaching.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm sure there was a "balance". I noticed in other places that so-and-so was behind in taxes and was forgiven for those, or what have you. That's not to say that it was excellent to live under a king, I guess it just makes it that more interesting to me to find those specific points where the king was like "alright, fine" about a literal life-and-death situation.

I have notices of poaching too somewhere, that I discovered earlier.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Inescapable Duck posted:

Video game flamethrowers tend to suck compared to the real life ones too, given they were basically hoses that spewed burning, sticky chemicals. Though apparently they were usually more useful for denying ground and destroying equipment than actual combat.
They were also great for removing oxygen from bunkers and replacing it with carbon monoxide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
They're also fantastic for burning down plants or heavy foliage which led to use in Vietnam. Now that use is used for civvy purposes for stuff like controlled burns and what have you.

In WW2 they were used a lot for cracking open hardened positions. It's easy to convince people to leave a bunker if you fill it with fire, smoke, and a lack of oxygen.