Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Son of Sam was a serial killer in NYC in the 70s

Summer of Sam was a Spike Lee movie based on those killings

Samsung sounds a lot like Sam and their phones explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Yep!

Also it was during the long NYC blackout. So there was a dude who was convinced an evil dog was telling him to kill, was creeping around in the dark killing people. Everyone was scared to go out.

There's a law about him because he starting writing books and doing paid interviews in prison and made a lot of money. So there's a law about that now.

Anyway, S7 still working great!!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ahh, ok. I'd heard of the Son of Sam, but not the movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Imagine a Martin Scorsese crime movie except it's poo poo

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A restaurant nearby doesn't have any dollar signs next to its listing in Maps. How do I add those?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Review it

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

hooah posted:

A restaurant nearby doesn't have any dollar signs next to its listing in Maps. How do I add those?

Pay your loving tab!

Actually gently caress em. Any business dumb enough not to hire a buzz cut person who's gender is not to be assumed, to handle their internet presence, is dumb.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

HPL posted:

One tip I found useful for general use is to move the address bar in Chrome to the bottom of the screen:

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/move-chromes-address-bar-bottom-your-screen-android-0176946/

this is one hot tip :eyepop:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mine did that by default like 6 months ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Mine did that by default like 6 months ago.

Yeah I was under the impression that Chrome Home was made standard a couple versions ago. I was adamantly opposed to the idea until Spincube talked me into trying it and yeah, he was right--it is better. I thought they pushed it to everyone about a week after.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I was under the impression that Chrome Home was made standard a couple versions ago. I was adamantly opposed to the idea until Spincube talked me into trying it and yeah, he was right--it is better. I thought they pushed it to everyone about a week after.

Agreed, I hated it at first but now I'm a big fan. It was a good change.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agreed, I hated it at first but now I'm a big fan. It was a good change.

Same.

Also - just wanted to say that you americans should be sad that you can't get the Huawei Mate 10 Pro. It really is a great phone.
The battery is awesome, and so is the camera. This was taken at night and it managed to get some details from the sky even without burning out the lights on the bridge:

Battery wise this thing is awesome. I charged yesterday morning, and am now at 68%. That is with a usage of messaging, Spotify, Pocketcasts, browsing/instagram/snapchat/whatever:

The software was a little unstable the first few days I got it, but a software update after just a few days seems to have fixed it all up. It also ships with Android 8, and 8.1 is on the way I think. Huawei's launcher is horrible, though, so I installed Nova Launcher after about a week. The phone is also really really fast, and I still haven't seen any lag or stuttering.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Huawei makes good poo poo, for real

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FistLips posted:

Same.

Also - just wanted to say that you americans should be sad that you can't get the Huawei Mate 10 Pro. It really is a great phone.
The battery is awesome, and so is the camera. This was taken at night and it managed to get some details from the sky even without burning out the lights on the bridge

It comes out in a couple weeks here. We just have to buy it unlocked. Though not many people are going to pay $800 up front for a phone so it's probably DOA in the US.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 14, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If you bought a Oneplus recently, you might wanna keep an eye on your credit card transactions. It looks like their customer data might have been compromised:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/credit-card-fraud.747206/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

If you bought a Oneplus recently, you might wanna keep an eye on your credit card transactions. It looks like their customer data might have been compromised:

But the specs!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

it never ends

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Just lol if you expect anything else from a Chinese company

- posted from my Lenovo Thinkpad

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I hate OnePlus as much as the next overly-obsessed Android thread poster, but it's not like every single American company hasn't also been breached in the last couple years.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Never Settle™

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I hate OnePlus as much as the next overly-obsessed Android thread poster, but it's not like every single American company hasn't also been breached in the last couple years.

Yeah, this is correct.

However, to me, it matters if a company is breached because they followed lovely security practices or if they were breached despite following best security practices.

I have a sneaking suspicion about which category OnePlus falls under...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

Never Settle*

*the data breach lawsuit

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Days since oneplus hosed up: 1 0

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Just lol if you expect anything else from a Chinese company

- posted from my Lenovo Thinkpad

This is kind of a hosed up statement.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

This is kind of a hosed up statement.

The irony is intentional, not a mistake.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Am I blind or is there no way to have folders with the Pixel launcher? I drag one app on top of the other but they just switch places. :confused:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Incessant Excess posted:

Am I blind or is there no way to have folders with the Pixel launcher? I drag one app on top of the other but they just switch places. :confused:

There's a bug in 8.1. You have to come at like...a weird angle. Otherwise it moves. I think people say it works best from the top?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

minusX posted:

There's a bug in 8.1. You have to come at like...a weird angle. Otherwise it moves. I think people say it works best from the top?

Thanks, it works but you have to be real particular about it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Incessant Excess posted:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Been trying some high end truly wireless ear buds with my Pixel 2 XL and have settled on the Bang & Olufsen E8s, which are the only ones without a crippling disadvantage. The other two I tried were the Bose SoundSport Frees and Pixel Buds.

I bought the Bose SoundSport Frees first, they are the most comfortable and have the best sound quality, but they're physically enormous (like somewhat comedic looking in the ear) and have unacceptable lag when watching video.

Then I tried the Pixel Buds, which are pretty good for sound but aren't very comfortable over long periods, don't look super great for the price, and the cord is too short for my giant melon/neck. Just turning my head pulls on them.

That led me to the B&O E8s, which were a bitch to get working, but have comparable audio to the Bose, no video lag, and look good in the ear. Of course they are also the most expensive, and completely block out sound (I spooked three junkies shooting up near my car when I walked towards them without hearing them. Saw one trying to get my attention but only heard "mind your loving business, man" by the time I pulled it out).

Conclusion, truly wireless earbuds aren't quite ready for prime time unless you're willing to spend way too much money and don't mind being murdered by junkies in an underground parking garage. But man do they feel like the future.

E8s:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

don't mind being murdered by junkies in an underground parking garage. But man do they feel like the future.

Tbf that's exactly how I always imagined the future

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I can't imagine I'm the first person to ask this, and I'm sure I won't be the last either.

What's the ideal method for repairing a cracked S8 screen? (Had I known how fragile these were going to be I never would have bought one in the first place.)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I can't imagine I'm the first person to ask this, and I'm sure I won't be the last either.

What's the ideal method for repairing a cracked S8 screen? (Had I known how fragile these were going to be I never would have bought one in the first place.)

Unless you are really capable with adhesive separation with the whole iFixit teardown style, best to replace it under a warranty/insurance (which may have a replacement fee since it's damage not a defect), or one of the many phone repair shops that do this daily for most phones (though I would check reviews first just to see how their work sounds).

In Google Home land, is there any way to set up "My Day" to play as an alarm at a set time? I tried looking into IFTTT and the Google Home app, but nothing seems to point to having custom voice commands happen at a specific time which is a big bummer. I see that it was requested in the feature list request on the feedback forums, but that means it will be added sometime between now and never even though I can see it being quite a useful feature.

Much better to be woken up by a voice saying "Good Morning, Weather, Commute, News" than my Pebble against my temple again. (Though it friggin works I tell yea.. *yawn* Not much gets you from deep sleep to ready to fight quite as quick as that...)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I mean, it's glass, but I've always been surprised at how not fragile phone screen are. It seems to me that except for fluke circumstances they're pretty drat tough.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Got an Essential Phone today, had to update it a ton but it seems pretty smooth overall. Not seeing the touch lag people have talked about, big improvement over my old iPhone 6 that couldn't recognize a charging cable anymore so it had to charge while it was turned off.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, it's glass, but I've always been surprised at how not fragile phone screen are. It seems to me that except for fluke circumstances they're pretty drat tough.

I would have said the same thing with any phone I owned before the S8. I dropped my caseless S6 onto an asphalt driveway from five feet and it came away with a scratch on the bezel.

I dropped my S8, in a case, from eight inches, and it cracked the corner. It's that curved screen, I'm sure of it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I would have said the same thing with any phone I owned before the S8. I dropped my caseless S6 onto an asphalt driveway from five feet and it came away with a scratch on the bezel.

I dropped my S8, in a case, from eight inches, and it cracked the corner. It's that curved screen, I'm sure of it.

You know, for some reason when I read your original post I pictured an old person who got their first smart phone and was talking about smart phones in general. I don't know why I did that, but I now see you were talking specifically about the S8.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I didn't see anything about this in the rules specifically, but I'm trying to tread lightly here.

I have a coworker whose relative died, and left some kind of important information on a password locked LG G4 Stylus. Coworker is light on specifics right now but still processing everything. I feel like I should do what I can to help. Don't know if they want photos, text message logs, or what.

I figure that Apple products are locked down pretty solid, but how widely available are the tools for extracting data from random Android devices like this LG? No actual password crack methods are readily available, right? Any tools that will allow copying most files over to a computer from the phone? Would text messages or call lists be recoverable with such tools? Will these tools probably install virus.exe on my coworker's computer?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
there are ways to back up the data using adb, but that would require USB debugging to be on and afaik there's no way to do that unless you can unlock the phone and enable it in developer options. the other methods I know of pretty much all require the phone to be rooted. best of luck though, brutal situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I didn't see anything about this in the rules specifically, but I'm trying to tread lightly here.

I have a coworker whose relative died, and left some kind of important information on a password locked LG G4 Stylus. Coworker is light on specifics right now but still processing everything. I feel like I should do what I can to help. Don't know if they want photos, text message logs, or what.

I figure that Apple products are locked down pretty solid, but how widely available are the tools for extracting data from random Android devices like this LG? No actual password crack methods are readily available, right? Any tools that will allow copying most files over to a computer from the phone? Would text messages or call lists be recoverable with such tools? Will these tools probably install virus.exe on my coworker's computer?

The LG G4 Stylus was not encrypted from the factory so I'd say it's probably easily doable. It would depend on a lot of specifics (USB debug status, things like that) but I'm guessing you have a good chance of succeeding.