Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That would require Vegeta doing a thing in GT.

Which he never did, despite also receiving a bullshit power up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would require Vegeta doing a thing in GT.

Which he never did, despite also receiving a bullshit power up.
Yeah but consider this: if you squint hard enough GT can stand for veGeTa.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also why does Golden ape make him SS4?

Like that makes no sense, as Golden ape actually isn't a power up but just him going SS in ape form.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Yeah but you'd think having the fur and hair be gold would look better

Or black and brown

It's just weird. The idea of SSJ4 is great, though it fits Vegeta way more than Goku- pursuing the power of a Sayian to its limits, indulging in the primal power inherit within

Goku doesn't care a poo poo about his Sayian heritage so him going his own path with different techniques is best.

But the only power up that Goku has that isn't directly related to his saiyan heritage is UI (and the Kaioken I guess but that one is more of a technique). All the other variants of SS is all about pushing the power of a Saiyan to the limits on one way or another. Even during DB he needed to tap into that to beat the original Piccoro.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like that makes no sense, as Golden ape actually isn't a power up but just him going SS in ape form.

Super Saiyan is a power up on itself and the idea is that SS4 is them gaining perfect control over the Golden Great Ape leading to an hybrid of Ape and Human.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 16, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But the only power up that Goku has that isn't directly related to his saiyan heritage is UI (and the Kaioken I guess but that one is more of a technique). All the other variants of SS is all about pushing the power of a Saiyan to the limits on one way or another. Even during DB he needed to tap into that to beat the original Piccoro.

Please give the ultra divine water it's due.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Super Saiyan is a power up on itself and the idea is that SS4 is them gaining perfect control over the Golden Great Ape leading to an hybrid of Ape and Human.

So is there a form of mastering regular ape they all ignored?

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 16, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's why I specified Technique

UI is, as far as we can TELL, a technique as well not a transformation.

The difference is that like, Freeza and Cell transform and that is unique to them. SSJ is unique to Sayians.

Kaioken and UI are techniques that anyone can learn. Goku has always excelled at just picking up techniques, not really maining Sayian stuff.

Remember all the poo poo he picked up in Dragon Ball before SSJ- and even with SSJ you see how he tackles it compared to Vegeta. Vegeta treats it like he treats all Sayian things, with overwhelming power. Goku saw it as a technique and trained it as such.

Vegeta was the one who actively used the Great Ape form to fight when he had to though he considered it an insult. So he'd be the one to get SSJ4 over Goku.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Why didn't Vegeta ever go super ape, he had complete control of his ape powers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why didn't Vegeta ever go super ape, he had complete control of his ape powers.

Lost his tail and never regrew it

I guess when you lose your tail more than twice it's just gone for good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Burkion posted:

I mean before that. Pre saiyan saga Vegeta should have done it.

Or does it not count pre super saiyan.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

Please give the ultra divine water it's due.

The Ultra Divine Water allowed him to tap into the power of the Great Ape without transforming into it.

quote:

So is there a form of mastering regular ape they all ignored?

The Saiyans didn't since that is they're go technique to conquer planets.

Burkion posted:

That's why I specified Technique

UI is, as far as we can TELL, a technique as well not a transformation.

The difference is that like, Freeza and Cell transform and that is unique to them. SSJ is unique to Sayians.

Kaioken and UI are techniques that anyone can learn. Goku has always excelled at just picking up techniques, not really maining Sayian stuff.

Remember all the poo poo he picked up in Dragon Ball before SSJ- and even with SSJ you see how he tackles it compared to Vegeta. Vegeta treats it like he treats all Sayian things, with overwhelming power. Goku saw it as a technique and trained it as such.

Vegeta was the one who actively used the Great Ape form to fight when he had to though he considered it an insult. So he'd be the one to get SSJ4 over Goku.

Not an accurate comparison because Goku never knew it was possible to control the Great Ape form until he met Vegeta and by that point he had lost entirely the means to transform. There's nothing on his character that says he wouldn't tried to master the Great Ape as well if he would've had the chance.

After all, he was the one to came with the idea of staying in SS for extended periods of time to get used to the strain caused by it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean before that. Pre saiyan saga Vegeta should have done it.

Or does it not count pre super saiyan.

Exactly.

Vegeta having actual control over the regular Great Ape is what allowed him to control the Golden Ape faster than Goku.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 16, 2018

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
You may poo poo on GT, but SSJ4 was the last good transformation the series had

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That's a hell of a fanfic you writing there.

Personal_Nirvana posted:

You may poo poo on GT, but SSJ4 was the last good transformation the series had

lol it's ugly nonsensical trash.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Randos in this arc have had better transformations than SS4.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Randos in this arc have had better transformations than SS4.

The last episode had a better transformation

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I wouldn't call it nonsensical in concept but yeah it's ugly as hell. Even if you ignore the pants the hair just looks... bad. God and up are far better looking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Momomo posted:

I wouldn't call it nonsensical in concept but yeah it's ugly as hell. Even if you ignore the pants the hair just looks... bad. God and up are far better looking.

It isn't nonsensical in concept but in execution it's kind of a huge asspull that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Like a lot of GTs problems the concept is fine but the execution is lazy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

I never understood why he had red fur, honestly

His great ape form had brown fur

It has golden fur actually!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

It isn't nonsensical in concept but in execution it's kind of a huge asspull that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Like a lot of GTs problems the concept is fine but the execution is lazy.

That's more the case with Vegeta than it is with Goku. Goku is at least still wearing the same clothes as he did before he transformed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Momomo posted:

That's more the case with Vegeta than it is with Goku. Goku is at least still wearing the same clothes as he did before he transformed.

I meant more how he got there. Making it a Vegeta transformation especially with him already controlling ape form would have done a lot to make it more sensible.

While it's funny to laughing at Goku gaining baggy pants or Vegeta......everything, I don't actually care much about that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't think anyone wants to remember how Goku ended up getting his tail back.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Burkion posted:

It's so weird you think someone would've figured out cut off the Saiyans tails since it's a massive target and adult Saiyan tails don't grow back. Maybe tail growth has something to with Blutz waves or whatever they were called

Carlosologist posted:

Please keep my Fighter Z pure and away from GT nonsense

Anyway, a thought: If Toppo is to become a GoD real soon, is he gonna get his own hammy transformation sequence? Is Belmod gonna fade away all smug like because he thinks that U11 has it in the bag?
Do GoD's die right when they give up the job?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

It's so weird you think someone would've figured out cut off the Saiyans tails since it's a massive target and adult Saiyan tails don't grow back. Maybe tail growth has something to with Blutz waves or whatever they were called

Do GoD's die right when they give up the job?

I don't think we should rush to the conclusion Toppo is going to become an actual GoD with the mantle and everything, I'd say it's more likely he's going to unseal the full extent of his power that first led to him being considered a GoD candidate as he was originally going to in his original battle with Goku

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Momomo posted:

It's nonsensical cause it's about tapping into some primal natural and bestial strength that was some how secretly hidden inside them the whole time and that goes against Goku's one decent moral of "Actually putting effort toward your self improvement is good"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

In the mango, Vegeta said that his tail would grow back after Yajirobe cut it off. Of course, that never happened, and I'm guessing like most things, it's because Toriyama forgot that he said it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wasn't turning into golden ape a product of looking at the full moon while one was in SSJ form?

Also, transforming into the giant ape is a power up since they become ten times stronger than their base form.

Now what I'm not exactly sure about : is SSJ4 basically a harnessing of that power of the Golden Ape to a more controllable form, or is it a powerup beyond the golden ape form?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The Ultra Divine Water allowed him to tap into the power of the Great Ape without transforming into it.

What? That can't be right. Goku was at 330 or something at the start of Z. That would mean when he drank the divine water, he would have to have a power level of less than 33 at the time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems like Saiyans can regrow their tail if they're still growing generally but if you're an adult it won't come back on its own.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Toppo is going to get DQed by using hakai on freeza

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kashuno posted:

I do think Toppo is going to try that, but Freeza will be immune due to his experience with the energy/Toppo not being full-fledged yet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think Toppo would do the one thing that would cause him to automatically lose

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I can believe that Toppo would see how evil Freeza is and decide that he needs to hakai him, knowing this will DQ him. Leaving the rest to Jiren

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Momomo posted:

I don't think anyone wants to remember how Goku ended up getting his tail back.

For those who don't remember, the Elder Kai made some giant tweezers, yanked Goku's pants down and pulled a new tail out of the little stub Goku had left.

If I have to live with this knowledge than so do all of you.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flytrap posted:

For those who don't remember, the Elder Kai made some giant tweezers, yanked Goku's pants down and pulled a new tail out of the little stub Goku had left.

If I have to live with this knowledge than so do all of you.

It's extra funny because at first they were trying to train Goku in some special way that would make his tail grow back on it's own, but then they were like "Naw, gently caress it just get the tweezers."

It's like if King Kai was trying to teach Goku the kaioken but then just gave up and handed him a gun.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Shin was still Kibito Kai in GT which is all kinds of hosed up

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
We have one, maybe two more episodes until five minutes remain. At five minutes until absolute destruction, Frieza's true power will be activated: the ability to stretch those 5 minutes into like 10 more episodes. Even Grand Padre will have to check his watch like halfway through and remark about how preposterous this is.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The best bullshit powerup in the Dragon Balls is "actually I was wearing my weighted training clothes all this time".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

a cartoon duck posted:

The best bullshit powerup in the Dragon Balls is "actually I was wearing my weighted training clothes all this time".

My favorite is when the clothes are mode of impossibly dense materials, like Goku's wrist bands that busted through the pavement at the Tenkaichi arena when he casually dropped them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Shin was still Kibito Kai in GT which is all kinds of hosed up

I'm still astounded that was a thing for so long, and how much more natural it is now that they're apart. Of course now Kibito is Mia, but I don't think there exists a person who ever gave a poo poo about Kibito. gently caress, Goku essentially called him weak for dying against Dabura.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can totally see seven weeks comprising the last seven minutes of the ToP. I think the fun part is that there's no clear way that this is going to break since Super has done a good job of not leaning too hard on the old way

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The show's been fairly consistent for a good while now that one episode is one minute, plus it matches up with the tournament ending March so there's little reason to assume the pattern will break now.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kashuno posted:

You're not allowed to kill your opponent. Erasing is different from killing and Freeza is already dead, so loophole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

a cartoon duck posted:

Have they busted this out at all in Super yet? It feels like a pretty classic Dragonball move, but I can't recall seeing it yet. I kept expecting Hit to take off his jacket and be like "This weighs 600 tons, now I'm even faster!!!".