Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The best Christmas movie by a longshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

What's your favorite movie ever

Alien, I guess?

VideoGames posted:

I looked this up as I had no idea what it was but it says it follows on from something else. Do I need to watch anything before hand? Or am I OK just watching this?

If I do need to watch things before hand, then what do I need to watch? Thank you in advance!

videogames noooo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VideoGames posted:

I looked this up as I had no idea what it was but it says it follows on from something else. Do I need to watch anything before hand? Or am I OK just watching this?

If I do need to watch things before hand, then what do I need to watch? Thank you in advance!

Broadcast order season 1 and then season 2 and then the Film, if you're interested in watching haruhi. There's (good and bad) spin offs too for the avid Haruhist

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VideoGames posted:

its a haruhi suzumiya movie so watching or reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya would help. its fairly standalone though and tbh if you didn't want to watch a couple hours of a TV show you could probably watch the film on its own and appreciate its masterful storytelling and art even if you would miss out on the narrative impact of a couple scenes that more strongly tie in to the overarching story

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Grapplejack posted:

Alien, I guess?

Alien is a great choice because it is a very very good movie. I have to get back into Alien: Isolation, it captured the aesthetics of the first two movies perfectly and felt more like a sequel to those than any of the actual filmed sequels.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blade Runner is probably my favorite movie ever and I was mega disappointed by the sequel.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You know a show is epic when the box set comes with a graph informing you on how to properly consume it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alien Isolation is seriously impressive as a recreation of the exact atmosphere, tone, and visual design the movie(s) it's based on had. Like, Alien Isolation looks like an Alien movie from the actual design of the ship to stuff like the UI and the very slight chromatic aberration that gives it a film-esque look even in first person.

The DLC that lets you play through some of the scenes from the film is pretty drat cool too.

exquisite tea posted:

Blade Runner is probably my favorite movie ever and I was mega disappointed by the sequel.

Yup, same here.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Alien Isolation also has incredible sound design, one of the best in gaming history for sure.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

You know a show is epic when the box set comes with a graph informing you on how to properly consume it
haruhi watch order militancy I find uninteresting (although I always watch it in broadcast order!!) because the show itself rationalizes it in the teasers, as the difference between how kyon and haruhi see and organize the world around them. they're both right!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

videogames noooo

I like to try new things!!! :3:

Thank you! I will give it a try. I have not really seen any anime before, but what I have seen I enjoyed :D

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I’m sorry video games. You’re an anime now. 😑

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Godspeed. I love Haruhi. And the show's good too! Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I saw a copy of a PS2 haruhi VN for $2.50 today and I almost bought it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I like to try new things!!! :3:

Thank you! I will give it a try. I have not really seen any anime before, but what I have seen I enjoyed :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Mods rename me Animegames. Or Videoanimes.
Whichever you think is more appropriate.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vidcons

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I became so dissatisfied with modern film offerings that I spent the better part of 4-5 years watching Criterion Blu-rays instead and outside of a few clunkers I feel this was a wise move/investment.

Blade Runner 2049 and Mad Max were enjoyable experiences however.

Finally, Haruhi Suzumiya is mediocre outside of the first show and Disappearance movie. God bless.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I bought a RetroPie kit and played some Axelay and Lufia II. Can't decide between keeping it simple or going all out with an external drive and downloading every game available for it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
VideoGames we should watch Redline some time. It's a pretty great anime movie.

That, Tokyo Godfathers, and Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The only movie I have ever seen is Six-String Samurai.

edit: I watched part of The Godfather but no one had any swords so I shut it off

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And also the live action speed racer movie from the wachowski sisters

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My favourite movie seems to change every month. Last year I saw Moonlight and that was my favourite movie, then I saw Get Out and that was my favourite movie, then just last month I saw Lady Bird and that’s my new favourite movie.

There are so many films I would never turn down seeing again. Die Hard, the Big Lebowski, Hot Fuzz... Does that make those my favourite movies ever?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one time i watched the movie "Wizards", by ralph bakshi

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wizards is a good movie and harry potter should have ended the same way wizards did

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I bought a RetroPie kit and played some Axelay and Lufia II. Can't decide between keeping it simple or going all out with an external drive and downloading every game available for it.

Keep it simple because if you're like me you'll lose interest in the old games a few days after getting everything configured. Games are easy enough to transfer that I don't think it's prudent to spend more time and money to have "everything."

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wizards don't even have the dexterity to equip guns.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Jay Rust posted:

My favourite movie seems to change every month. Last year I saw Moonlight and that was my favourite movie, then I saw Get Out and that was my favourite movie, then just last month I saw Lady Bird and that’s my new favourite movie.

There are so many films I would never turn down seeing again. Die Hard, the Big Lebowski, Hot Fuzz... Does that make those my favourite movies ever?

You should see Call Me By Your Name, because I do the same as you and it is now my favourite movie.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hot Fuzz is so densely packed with great jokes and subtle setups to even greater jokes that all payoff spectacularly in the end and are made even better with every re-watch. It's basically a perfect comedy movie. Easily my favorite movie to watch once a year.

Mad Max Fury Road was my favorite in theater experience and it's a loving insane vehicle stuntwork masterpiece.

Not an all time fave, but the first John Wick is also an example of extremely loving sick action choreography and physical stuntwork and not enough people watched that movie.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Movies have been going downhill ever since La Grande Illusion.

Saint Freak posted:

The only movie I have ever seen is Six-String Samurai.
But that's a good one too.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zaggitz posted:

Hot Fuzz is so densely packed with great jokes and subtle setups to even greater jokes that all payoff spectacularly in the end and are made even better with every re-watch. It's basically a perfect comedy movie. Easily my favorite movie to watch once a year.

Oh I LOVE Hot Fuzz. I got to see a super advanced screening of it with all of the deleted scenes (and a few more) still in the film and absolutely no special effects about eight months before release. :D

I love Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg movies. My favourite is probably World's End simply because at the time I saw it, everything Gary King was going through resonated in the same way as I was going through very similar feelings. It is not often that a film syncs up to your own life and I was lucky that I had a bit of a way to release.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
For real though, I wouldn't say movies as a whole are any worse than they ever were. Denis Villeneuve is probably my favourite living director, and even if all of his films have a similar style, it's a style I can't get enough of. Check out Prisoners and Sicario is you haven't already; Enemy is very moderately artsy fartsy in that the whole thing is one big metaphor. :iiaca: When it comes to memorably, big budget action movies, last year alone saw John Wick 2, Logan, Three Billboards, Dunkirk, and Blade Runner 2049. Meanwhile, some of my favourite smaller flicks were released within the last few years. Nightcrawler is a fantastic, disturbing character piece, and Jeremy Saulnier's Blue Ruin and Green Room are delightfully traumatic.

I mean sure, Disney keeps churning out their tentpole blockbusters but even those usually aren't actively bad, just interchangeable and low-impact.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 16, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My favorite movie is Dead Man

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hot Fuzz is great. One of those films where if it is on TV I will definitely watch a bit of it.

Also :siren: Theme Hospital spiritual sequel apparently? Hope its good.
https://www.videogamer.com/news/ex-theme-hospital-devs-return-with-two-point-hospital

e: also Shin Godzilla kicks rear end, everyone should watch that

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Expect My Mom posted:

Both of these sound really cool, I'll check out some videos later. I've been kinda craving something more score based and arcade-y lately, thank you!

and this was very much Steve era, Steve leaving was maybe the first moment in my life that I learned that people wouldn't be with me forever

That's a borderline insane thing to say, but when you're a child, the host of a children's education show holds more weight than one might expect

It's really loving me up that there are people in their twenties who were kids when Steve left Blue's Clues

homeless snail posted:

I'm basing it on him being a celebrity and its 2018

I would have been reluctant to call Steve a "celebrity" back when he had a tv show, let alone now

FirstAidKite posted:

Ew, tv shows based on movies aren't always bad but Frequency wasn't exactly something I was pining for a tv show adaptation of.

I don't think anyone was, but it turned out to actually be pretty good, despite being canned after one season.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 16, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I need to rewatch Haruhi at some point. I loved season 1, got really soured by Endless Eight, and while I liked Disappearance I was still really soured but Endless Eight at the time. Not sure what I'd think nowadays.

Mordja posted:

I mean sure, Disney keeps churning out their tentpole blockbusters but even those aren't usually actively bad, just interchangeable and low-impact.
I called them crap earlier but this is probably more accurate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

I need to rewatch Haruhi at some point. I loved season 1, got really soured by Endless Eight, and while I liked Disappearance I was still really soured but Endless Eight at the time. Not sure what I'd think nowadays.
The books have honestly soured me on the franchise as a whole. Basically nothing of any importance happens after Disappearance, it's fully dedicated to spinning its wheels. Last I heard the series was on indefinite hiatus as well due to writer's block so there hasn't been much hope of it ever actually going anywhere.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Endless Eight is peak anime

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I only read a few of the books and generally wasn't into them as much, though that may be because I read fan translated ones at the time.

Also they didn't have the Ace Attorney references so clearly the anime was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what was the sega lightbulb thing

• Locked thread