Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Plorkyeran posted:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

they appear to have removed all the xp and ie6/7 vms and old links to them are broken. you can still find them from less legal sources of course.
good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

they appear to have removed all the xp and ie6/7 vms and old links to them are broken. you can still find them from less legal sources of course.

i think i still have one lying around somewhere, maybe it's a collectible now :v:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

they spend a weird amount of time on writing some basic-rear end php for no real reason

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mcflyhh/status/953032526918012929

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

idgi so it was door that opened to all cars? or this was a plate they previously had authorized?

either way it'd be like saying "an id card for a security system sucks because someone might take the id card from someone meant to have it"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fishmech posted:

idgi so it was door that opened to all cars? or this was a plate they previously had authorized?

either way it'd be like saying "an id card for a security system sucks because someone might take the id card from someone meant to have it"

i think the idea is it's pretty trivial to take a picture of an approved plate, then print it out on something the same dimensions, to fool an optical scanner

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Further down the twitter thread he says the plate is a fake made from foil and sharpie.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I spend far too much of my life trying to convince people not to implement the equivalent of this but dumber.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i think the idea is it's pretty trivial to take a picture of an approved plate, then print it out on something the same dimensions, to fool an optical scanner

similar to the kids in maryland who photographed a teacher's plate, printed out copies, and drove past as many speed cameras as they could find

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not even a speed bump to a deliberate attack but it will keep out idiots who see a private garage and think “oh look. A public garage. I think I’ll park there.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Midjack posted:

similar to the kids in maryland who photographed a teacher's plate, printed out copies, and drove past as many speed cameras as they could find

lol. awesome

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

lol that's a great idea

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Platystemon posted:

It’s not even a speed bump to a deliberate attack but it will keep out idiots who see a private garage and think “oh look. A public garage. I think I’ll park there.”

yeah, a security mechanism can be completely trivial to defeat yet still provide value. it's not like your typical rf garage door opener is remotely difficult to "hack"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

locks and honest people, etc.

as long as you're aware it's trivial to defeat, i guess

security snakeoil is harmful though, i guess it depends on how it's being marketed

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

it's basically trivial to pick most locks but i'm still gonna lock my door

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

I’m guessing they weren’t smart enough to find a car that was the same model

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m guessing they weren’t smart enough to find a car that was the same model

no, but the company running the scheme just goes off the plate. it's thrown out instantly on appeal, but it's still time and hassle for the victim

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Midjack posted:

:piss:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/civilbeat/status/953127542050795520

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/953144898848526337

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

is that real?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/civilbeat/status/953127914618302464

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

is that real?
maybe, maybe not

on the one hand there's really strict laws about using recording equipment in a secure environment, but on the other hand we all saw the sms missile alert

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Midjack posted:

Good speed traps (Germany's an example) have multiple cameras specifically to prevent impersonation.

Plorkyeran posted:

yeah, a security mechanism can be completely trivial to defeat yet still provide value. it's not like your typical rf garage door opener is remotely difficult to "hack"
Unless they're specifically exploitable because of implementation/algo vulnerabilities most RF fobs are fine for what they are. The liability you kinda can't get around is buttloads of people having access to common access routes, so custody is an issue.

vOv posted:

it's basically trivial to pick most locks but i'm still gonna lock my door
That's the thing. You don't want to be the low hanging fruit.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 16, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
where the gently caress do you live where it's trivial to pick most locks? my front door has a 15 year old lock and the key is some elaborate 3d thing with ball bearings and poo poo in it, that's just about impossible to unlock. and it was a cheap lock.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truga posted:

where the gently caress do you live where it's trivial to pick most locks? my front door has a 15 year old lock and the key is some elaborate 3d thing with ball bearings and poo poo in it, that's just about impossible to unlock. and it was a cheap lock.

in south africa interestingly. some other security as well, but none of it very "hard" secure

the key to my front door looks like it is for a chest in a cheap fantasy adventure, and i doubt anyone who tried could fail to pick it

as it turns out criminals; 1) are never both skilled/competent and interested in breaking into random houses on residential streets; and; 2) have the sense to go for the easiest target, and there is enough at my place not to at least appear to be the easiest

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Wheany posted:

is that real?

yeah; just found it in this story as well: http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsnow/db_330510/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=UzL7KdO3

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Truga posted:

judging by the crappy construction thread, everyone in the us has a front door made out of honeycombed cardboard with the cheapest available 5 pin lock

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

all locks can be picked

https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill/videos

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Truga posted:

do you have an example of that lock? all residential ones i've seen are p trivial. where do you live?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, i'm not saying it can't be picked, but if a person is going to spend hours fiddling with a lock on a random door, someone's going to notice.

e: what i'm saying is, if they see a complicated lock they'll just try to break in through a window, if they're set on your house :v: physical access and all that

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

do you have an example of that lock? all residential ones i've seen are p trivial. where do you live?

slovenia, and no. i'll check when i get home.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 16, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
From what I hear of American door looks, you can bust 'em open in a few seconds with a rake.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Good speed traps (Germany's an example) have multiple cameras specifically to prevent impersonation.

maryland has multiple cameras on theirs (i have two citations to prove it) but the contractor operating the cameras just does a database lookup on the ocred plate to mail the citations. when you appeal and say "wrong car" they say "huh, guess so" and dismiss it but it's still a hassle to go to the courthouse, especially if you are a poorly compensated teacher with little vacation time.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

sounds like a mul-t-lock, but i've only ever seen those on mall shop doors and evidence vaults

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Jabor posted:

From what I hear of American door looks, you can bust 'em open in a few seconds with a rake.

Yeah but now people are installing bluetooth front door locks so we can go all cyberpunk and wave our dongle at them to get in

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

learned bumpin' in college and once you get good it's about that fast

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Half the time, the catch isn't deep enough anyways and you can basically bust through with a simple bump.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Truga posted:

... where do YOU live, that you have such an elaborate door lock and consider it "cheap"?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's been standard equipment for new doors decades :shrug:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm assuming your talking about a tubular lock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

aaaaaaaaaa

insane ui notwithstanding i am sure the inner workings are just as horrible as you would infer from that picture

it probably just takes a GET to send_missile_alert.asp

only click the link once. the page may take a few seconds to load, be patient.

• Locked thread