Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
There's two sides to it though. Those have legit issues and those who got on the fad.

I now inexplicably get vertigo when I have gluten. No issues all my life until a week or so ago and now I get 4 hours of dizziness from 2 bread rolls. The gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, it's the same reason people get heart palpitations after eating Chinese food.

Their idiot brain.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jesus it's 2018 I thought we were over the whole gluten free "debate". Gluten free fad dieters are dumb but gluten free options are good. It's not a very complicated issue.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/oneforthedr/status/950886307965775872

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmfao what

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Please won't someone think of the roads

My grandmother lives in Katikati and there's been a town bypass that's been "happening next year" for the last 20 years and is likely to be cancelled again under Labour. It legit would make a big difference to the town because at the moment the tiny two lane road through town is stupidly busy with all the trucks going to/from Tauranga port.

However I think the population of Katikati is like 5000 at most so thats not a huge number of people inconvenienced in the grand scheme

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 10, 2018

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Vagabundo posted:

OK, I'll just let my best friend, who suffers from coeliac disease, that she's just being stupid, and that she should consume all the glutens she sees. When she gets violently ill and spews everywhere, it's just her being stupid and buying into Big Gluten FreeTM, right?

Misrepresent me at risk. The context clearly imdicated the fad diet that's strung along since the naughts.

What's next on your shrieking fit? A friend with lumbar injuries that magically appears when someone disparages chiropractics? An underweight family member that poofs into being whenever a Winstrol-abusing soccer player losing his ability to father children is mocked for his poor life choices?

If I wanted to mock Coeliac disease, I would have openly mentioned it - seeing as wild misinterpretations seem chronically endemic in this part of the woods.

Wafflecopper posted:

It became apparent to me that 99% of people who say they are gluten free are full of poo poo when I went from working hospo in NZ to working hospo in London. In NZ I'd be asked about GF options several times a day, in London like maybe once a month? I knew it was a trendy thing for some people but holy poo poo
A good observation and the point I was making.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 10, 2018

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
In one of my wife's social groups there is someone that:
  • Is on a GE and dairy free diet because she is an obnoxious hippie.
  • One whose air ways will close up and has to be rushed to the hospital if she swallows gluten.
  • Another who seems to hate himself because he is lactose intolerant but always just pop the pills and eat cake anyway.
  • Two others that have various tedious dietary requirements that I forget.

We hosted the group's xmas dinner this time. That poo poo is fun.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
One of my friends can't eat onion (and most other plants in that family) because they give him a terrible case of the shits. Onion is in loving everything.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Two of my wife’s believe that vaccines are a tool used by the government as some form of mass control tool and one of those two genuinely believes that 911 was an inside job. It’s quite exhausting when that person comes around

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How many wives do you have?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

And where in Hamilton did they come from?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Turns out they weren't that significant.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

And where in Hamilton did they come from?

Temple Place like the rest of em dude

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Turns out they weren't that significant.

They were to the National party and their donors. Roads of National party significance.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Varkk posted:

They were to the National party and their donors. Roads of National party significance.

It's pretty important that rich people can get quickly to their holiday homes.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bike tory posted:

Jesus it's 2018 I thought we were over the whole gluten free "debate". Gluten free fad dieters are dumb but gluten free options are good. It's not a very complicated issue.

Do you mean gluten free options are good so that those with coeliac disease are provided for, or that gluten free options taste good or have some kind of nutritional value

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Clearly the former.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Hopefully the former.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It is a good thing for there to be gluten free options available.

In other news, Duncan Garner continues to be a total loving tool:

http://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/100516413/Duncan-Garner-Just-listening-to-the-tweets-of-the-birds

I can't quote any choice bits because that's the whole thing but jesus, just read it. One bit we can all agree on:

quote:

Duncan Garner says banning himself from Twitter was the best decision he made in 2017.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Literally

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bike tory posted:

It is a good thing for there to be gluten free options available.

In other news, Duncan Garner continues to be a total loving tool:

http://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/100516413/Duncan-Garner-Just-listening-to-the-tweets-of-the-birds

I can't quote any choice bits because that's the whole thing but jesus, just read it. One bit we can all agree on:

Just watching him gradually turn into New Zealand's version of Trump. "Oh woe is me, they called me racist for extending the 14 words to the length of an opinion article, it was just an opinion article guys no need to be upset about it but it was also really important and I swear on me mum a real government minister loved it, no you can't meet them they live in Canada." :umberto:

I wonder if meeting someone who went through the prison system will change his opinion of the prison syshahaha gently caress off it's Duncan Garner he doesn't even know why people were angry last year

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

the d in dril stands for duncan

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760?lang=en

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

quote:

But that's what I got for daring to suggest we have failed to plan and build the appropriate infrastructure to meet the demands of tens of thousands of immigrants that pour into New Zealand every year. I was a racist.

But the article wasn’t about failure to plan and build infrastructure.It was complaining about having to queue behind brown people at K-Mart.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

But his position stands. My column stands. As does the wussy Press Council decision that voted 5-4 that I was a racist. They need to get out more – or at least go to Auckland to see what I'm talking about. But they're entitled to their views.

Wussy.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
"I built my own gate and talked to guy that's been in prison for an hour. I'm not a racist moron and those that think otherwise are wussies." - Duncan Garner 2018

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I don’t recall the same amount of pearl clutching when Paul Henry was given his own show as there is for Haley Holt.
It wasn’t until after he was shown to be terrible that his history with National was brought up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Almost as if TVNZ's audience is primarily baby boomer conservatives.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Hosking leaving and Holt joining at the same time as a change of government is pretty lol

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Nah, I remember the Henry outrage after he left Breakfast. He was labeled and racist and a sexist with his actions such as laughing at the Dikshit or whatever that name was. He then got a job in Australia and came back and people weren't that happy.

Surprised I can remember this...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wonder what the venn diagram looks like for 'people under 30' and 'people who watch broadcast television'.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pretty sure the under 35 viewership of Breakfast is zero

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

i used to watch the one with oliver driver on 3, he was pretty entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B9MqNzQuuk&t=180s

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Are there any designers in the thread?

The privacy commissioners office has a logo competition with a $3500 prize, closes mid Feb. I'd be pumped if a goon got it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

submit laser kiwi

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Thanks for the heads up, sebmojo!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

It just needs "surveillance is privacy" written over it in a fancy font. I'll take the check made out to cash.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Rabbi T. White posted:

It just needs "surveillance is privacy" written over it in a fancy font. I'll take the check made out to cash.

Lol

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Did a goon design the engineering New Zealand logo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Robo Captain posted:

Did a goon design the engineering New Zealand logo?

I will give an av to anyone who can get a goatse chosen.

• Locked thread