Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

I could release 4 or 5 french opm vassals into princes, is that a good idea for imperial authority gain or should I just keep them myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Oh England has 100000k troops, awesome and/or how awful, soon they will attack/come to my aid and kill/save me!

*never sees a single englishman

Nah, I had a Russia game the other day when England honored their alliance with some goddamn continental nation or other that I was fighting, and actually sent a big chunk of army to counter-invade my heartlands. Of course they all froze/starved to death in the Russian winter and/or were massacred by my quite frankly superior troops, but it did require a number of mouse clicks and some time and attention from my side.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Maybe they should just bite the bullet and make transports an off map commodity.

Depending on how many you have you can move troops across oceans faster / more regiments at a time.

Pay military points or cash to initiate an amphibious landing. = Move your troops onto a fort or onto an enemy troop.

Voilá AI can move troops around the world.

Also loving someone should make the silly supply situation better so we don't see castille send 40k troops to invade aztecs. Natives and colonial nations should have some sort of advantage. Maybe offset some by the presence of ships and transport capacity.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there a write-up of the trade goods these days? Grain seems ... good now? Not megabux like gold but still a solid return?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New dev diary out

Check out that Ireland!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

quote:

Shame. Spain has hardly been touched since the game came out And you focus on heretical pirates and cheap duchies. I do not buy any more DLC again. Long live for the universal monarchy.

:discourse:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Check out that Ireland!

with provinces this small we're starting to need a better way to capture ground than manually splitting out an infantry regiment for every field and farm

in eu3 ireland was five provinces, here we're looking at 13.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Prav posted:

with provinces this small we're starting to need a better way to capture ground than manually splitting out an infantry regiment for every field and farm

Maybe captured forts could occupy adjacent territory, reverse to what uncaptured forts do?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Just do what I do and ignore everything without a fort on it?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

Just do what I do and ignore everything without a fort on it?

Well you still need to occupy provinces for other reasons than warscore - blocking straits, spawning rebels, prevent recruitment, tank mandate/increase devastation etc. Especially against Ming and Ottomans you need to occupy as much as possible.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ehhh. Breaking straits only requires you to hold one or two specific provinces, freshly recruited regiments you can pick off in the field, the rest is all poo poo I would consider peripheral to the actual prosecution of a war. If your desire is to grind a country into dust and break them for all eternity then that probably should be a considerable undertaking.

My experience is that any war that drags on long enough to require carpet sieging- we're talking exclusively massive hellwars against pan-continental juggernauts and coalitions here- is already so long that carpet sieging doesn't make it appreciably longer. And those wars are very much not the norm, unless you're trying to conquer the world... or play multiplayer, I guess.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Ehhh. Breaking straits only requires you to hold one or two specific provinces, freshly recruited regiments you can pick off in the field, the rest is all poo poo I would consider peripheral to the actual prosecution of a war. If your desire is to grind a country into dust and break them for all eternity then that probably should be a considerable undertaking.

My experience is that any war that drags on long enough to require carpet sieging- we're talking exclusively massive hellwars against pan-continental juggernauts and coalitions here- is already so long that carpet sieging doesn't make it appreciably longer. And those wars are very much not the norm, unless you're trying to conquer the world... or play multiplayer, I guess.

I cant imagine how you think chasing around dozens of single unit stacks as they run through every nation willing to give access to the AI is less time consuming than carpet sieging the enemy after you wipe out their actual armies

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

To tell you the truth, I usually don't bother with either. If I've destroyed their armies in the field then the war is over and whatever they're panic building isn't going to be a threat anyway. :shrug:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hope they're nice to leinster, my favorite irish minor

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is this a bug or working as designed? I just finished supporting English Mexico in their War of Independence. They immediately formed Mexico which has a Malus against me for rejecting their their Support Independence offer. Jerks. I fought to make you free!

Meanwhile, English Louisiana whose offer I did reject loves me because we formed an alliance after winning the Independence war that they got dragged into by British Mexico.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

doingitwrong posted:

Is this a bug or working as designed? I just finished supporting English Mexico in their War of Independence. They immediately formed Mexico which has a Malus against me for rejecting their their Support Independence offer. Jerks. I fought to make you free!

Meanwhile, English Louisiana whose offer I did reject loves me because we formed an alliance after winning the Independence war that they got dragged into by British Mexico.

tag switching can make relations a bit wonky sometimes like that in my experience. not just with cns, either.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i really hope some catalan guy gets into a flame war with this person but it probably will not happen

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

doingitwrong posted:

Never Ally Perfidious Albion('s Colonies)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

double nine posted:

is there a write-up of the trade goods these days? Grain seems ... good now? Not megabux like gold but still a solid return?

Grain is still not good. It's slightly better (base value increased from 2.0 to 2.5) but it's still one of the least valuable trade goods in the game. It's also the only trade good that doesn't have any price increase. It only gets less valuable as the game goes on. It's also extremely abundant which makes it very hard to become the production leader.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Prav posted:

gently caress it just make all 32 counties their own tags.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Fister Roboto posted:

Navies are important, they're just not as important as armies. You're right that if you play in a region with lots of coastline and islands, establishing naval superiority is a really big deal. But with rare exception, you can't win a war with just your navy. You still need boots on the ground. Comparatively, there are plenty of wars where you don't need a navy at all.

This works great for me, because there's no way I could take on the Ming. Their army is 50% bigger than mine, plus they have Korea as an ally. But my Navy is currently 50% bigger than the Ming's, so HA.

Best I can hope for is to eternally deter them while I colonize the Philippines and the west coast of America.

Surprised the Ming hasn't tried to eat up Korea, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Xanderkish posted:

This works great for me, because there's no way I could take on the Ming. Their army is 50% bigger than mine, plus they have Korea as an ally. But my Navy is currently 50% bigger than the Ming's, so HA.

Best I can hope for is to eternally deter them while I colonize the Philippines and the west coast of America.

This is basically what Japan games are like all the time now in my experience, it's a real pain to expand into Manchuria and/or Korea with the Ming trying to take your lunch money every 5 years till kingdom come and strongly pushes you into a ridiculous alt-historical colonial game so you can capitalize on your naval supremacy. Fun enough though.

Xanderkish posted:

Surprised the Ming hasn't tried to eat up Korea, though.

If Korea ever breaks tributary, you bet they will.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why split up such an insignificant island into tiny little crap provinces? Maybe they'll survive until almost 1500 before the great english twat gobbles them up? Pointless waste of time. :argh:

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Finnish Flasher posted:

I could release 4 or 5 french opm vassals into princes, is that a good idea for imperial authority gain or should I just keep them myself?

Depends how you're doing on state cap and whether you plan to finish the HRE reforms or stop at revoking the privilegia.

France has some of the highest-dev states in the game (see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Xqmj9WKI9x5dWOLdVRd6inPxTCQjHWAmVONAJtpXaw/edit#gid=1060341681 it's from 2016, but gives you an idea) so it may be worth keeping those as long as you have the state slots for them. You'll get less imperial authority but overall have a stronger position.

If you're going to finish the reforms anyway go ahead and give them away, Austria is really hard up for state slots since it's stuck at Duchy-tier (unless you lose an election and are made an elector) so you might not be able to state them anyway until you have higher Admin tech. A vassal that can fully state a province is pretty much always worth more to you than a territory.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

Why split up such an insignificant island into tiny little crap provinces? Maybe they'll survive until almost 1500 before the great english twat gobbles them up? Pointless waste of time. :argh:

I guess that's fair. It took a long time for the English crown to conquer Ireland, it wasn't really a done deal until 1603. More provinces means longer time for England to eat them and marginally greater potential for a player-controlled Irish minor to achieve a strong position and resist the English.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Maybe captured forts could occupy adjacent territory, reverse to what uncaptured forts do?

Just go full March of the Eagles with it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Poil posted:

It wasn't so populous from the start of the game, but Ireland had a huge level of population growth and from my understanding the province setup is meant to take into account changes throughout the course of the game a bit. A while back I made a table of populations vs dev/# of provinces; Ireland's level is perfectly average in 1444 but by the end of the game it's the worst in all of Europe:

(here's the full thing if anyone's curious about other places, incidentally)

Especially if they add some mechanics that can help Ireland and Scotland survive longer then I think it's warranted. I was ambivalent towards a British Isles immersion pack at first- it's not like the region is lacking in mechanics or attention. But thinking about it, if they can add some mechanics to help shift the balance there I think it'd be great. England being anachronistically strong in 1444 is one of the more talked about balance problems in the Western European part of the map, so if they do something like a national idea nerf but with other mechanics to balance it (like they did for Russia, although hopefully better this time) so that English power growth is more gradual then I think it could do a lot to change the setup for the game for the better.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Koramei posted:

The majority of these figures are from McEvedy and Jones' Atlas of World Population History, since it's simple for me to reference from it. However, I know it to be pretty unreliable, so if you have better figures available, please let me know and I'll update this. Likewise, if you have figures for a smaller area (like say, Bavaria, Occitania, Aragon etc), feel free to let me know and I'll add an entry; I'm unhappy with how broad this is for many of the regions, so I'd like to add some more granularity.

Maybe check out the Maddison figures (under Historical Statistics), which has smaller divisions for some but not all of your regions.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Funky Valentine posted:

gently caress it just make all 32 counties their own tags.

tiocfaidh ár lá :guinness:

I think having a few more provinces added is more than fine tbh. Having a bit more detail is mostly a good thing except when it gets way too anal - I remember playing the SWMH map for CK2 and all the Western Isles of Scotland were their own individual counties, which is just wildly unnecessary. Of all the map mods for EU4 I think Beyond Typus gets a good balance with having mopre provinces but not making it completely dumb.

Though looking at the map again having the border marches only be named on the Scottish side looks a bit silly and out of place. Give me playable border reivers or give me death!

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 16, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
holy poo poo that they're making isle of mann it's own province and tag who on earth is asking for that?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

reignonyourparade posted:

holy poo poo that they're making isle of mann it's own province and tag who on earth is asking for that?

me

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Calling it now 'Imperium of Mann' as an achievement.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fellblade posted:

Calling it now 'Imperium of Mann' as an achievement.

No Mann's Skye. too easy
Hum-Mann Revolution. Own Hum, become a revolutionary country.
Rights of Mann - win a trade war after being embargoed.
Mannhattan project - get 100 power projection.
To Serve Mann - have 5 vassals with low/no liberty desire.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 16, 2018

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Are they going to be altering the requirements to form Netherlands to include the new provinces? I hope not, because taking land in the HRE sucks and I am bad at it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Well with this update I will have to start over from scratch with my mod I assume. Darnit.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Not at all. Just use notepad++ or something to compare the differences for whatever files you use in the mod vs the new version and adjust accordingly, along with updating the map files and stuff for the new provinces if you did any border modding. I see your mod seems to be directly about the British Isles so maybe there'll be more changes you'll have to make than normal, but updating mods in Paradox games is normally a simple if somewhat tedious process, at least for smaller scale things.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 17, 2018

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

This but unironically.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Jeoh posted:

This but unironically.

no irony here, friend

my favourite CK2 run was as the titular kingdom of mann & the isles, I love trampling things with my three bizarrely-placed legs

e: my ideal patch would be one that removes byzantium and adds mann

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 17, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wish theyd remake islands to be less annoying but instead they add more. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is there any tricks to ensuring you don't bleed all your manpower away in wars? I found that early to mid game, all it seems to take a is a couple of battles and sieges to slowly chip away at your manpower pool. After that it feels like you're just sitting there waiting for it to get back to a usable level, and missing out on chances further expand. Is it simply a case of mercing up hard (if you can afford it) or is there a way to actually maintain a good manpower pool?

What also doesn't help is that a lot of fights end up being in places where you have to cross rivers, ensuring that said fights are quite a bit more drawn out than they should be, thanks to the modifiers involved.