Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Yesterday in my hometown, some current affairs show on the BBC did a report on Bitcoin by getting some old farts to take the stupid decision of investing their real money into it rather than mining it.

I think this is the first instance that bitcoin has caught the mainstream's attention and they already hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7qor5q/current_bitcoin_sentiment/

quote:

/r/allCurrent Bitcoin Sentiment. (i.redd.it)

submitted 10 hours ago by pg3cryptoredditor for 3 months

bitcoin park also features a fat nerd and a pedophile

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The short sellers had a great night.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

How low would it have to go for the haters to jump on?

I think at $10 many people, myself included, would buy 10 then sit around and see what happens. Maybe.

So even at $10 it’s not a currency. Cool

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
At gdax there's basically no orders filling the gulf between $10,5 and $13,5. I wonder if every bitcoin trader needs to have some sort of alarm for price changes to wake them up.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I like a market that trades 24 hours. It’s the future. Sleep is for no coiners.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

paternity suitor posted:

I like a market that trades 24 hours. It’s the future. Sleep is for no coiners.

they should ring a bell at all times

it would be as productive as coin mining

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

quote:

[–]miss_took [score hidden] 2 hours ago
This is exactly what HODL was coined for. It signifies that, despite dramatic crashes, you believe in the long-term utility and vision of bitcoin. I certainly do, it's world-changing tech, and I will hodl because I know that peaks and dips are irrelevant to its long term value.

If you are scared and want to sell, especially if at a loss, this crypto business might just not be for you.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

So it's neither a viable currency or something you should treat as an investment? What the hell is it?

How do I stick some money down on jQuery, the JavaScript library? I believe in it.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Durzel posted:

So it's neither a viable currency or something you should treat as an investment? What the hell is it?

world-changing tech

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Durzel posted:

How do I stick some money down on jQuery, the JavaScript library? I believe in it.
An unregulated low volume penny stock which allows gambling on bubble behavior.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Durzel posted:

$ORCL

It’s got a $205 billion market cap. Plus they give you 2% a year for HODLing it.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

"After the end of World War II, the world was split into two -- East and West. This marked the beginning of the era called the Cold War"
―Naked Snake[src]

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

zedprime posted:

An unregulated low volume penny stock which allows gambling on bubble behavior.

That is pretty unfair to penny stocks.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

quote:

[–]1100100011
[score hidden] 23 minutes ago

guys do you think it is still possible to10X my investment in terms of fiat within an year if I bought bitcoins at ath of 19k :(

or atleast 5x?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist manipulation, Communist FUD, Communist dumping and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bitcoins.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
gently caress I am conflicted now. I just found a mispriced mining rig rental that mines about .002 BTC/hour. I was able to rent it for $35 for 55 hours, and am locked in. That would be 0.11 BTC by the time it finishes... If Bitcoin is still >10K, that is $1100+

i shouldn't be playing with the poop :(

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Alpha Mayo posted:

gently caress I am conflicted now. I just found a mispriced mining rig rental that mines about .002 BTC/hour. I was able to rent it for $35 for 55 hours, and am locked in. That would be 0.11 BTC by the time it finishes... If Bitcoin is still >10K, that is $1100+

i shouldn't be playing with the poop :(

does anything really mine that fast anymore?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

scott zoloft posted:

does anything really mine that fast anymore?

Bitcoins, no. Altcoins that pools auto-convert to bitcoins, yes.

After running the rig for 30 minutes:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

If you sold your bitcoin for tether your fun is probably just beginning.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

lol

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
dive dive dive!!! o_o

Alpha Mayo posted:

Bitcoins, no. Altcoins that pools auto-convert to bitcoins, yes.

After running the rig for 30 minutes:

cool!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Eh they canceled it. Crash and burn bitcoin

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

HODL THE LINE they'll break on our defenses like water on rock

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Alpha Mayo posted:

That is pretty unfair to penny stocks.

Penny stocks and zombie companies at least have the “value” of occupying a name and a registration which another company could buy and take over instead of starting from scratch.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Back below $12,000 again. C'mon, crash you bastard!

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
HODL (the bag)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

He's 100% correct, peaks and dips are absolutely irrelevant to the long-term value of Bitcoin (which is $0)

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Alpha Mayo posted:

Eh they canceled it. Crash and burn bitcoin

lmao. sorry, bud. wait for another online outlet that accepts bitcoin and btcash to confuse the two.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Bitcoin eats poo poo the day before the first futures contracts at CBOE are due to hit expiry. And institutional investors have been building short positions? Oh golly, say this is just a coin-ky-dink Satoshi

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 16, 2018

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Often Abbreviated posted:

Had an admin of a game I play on Steam burst into chat the other day with "TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW ABOUT BITCOINS - I JUST PUT ALL MY MONEY INTO THEM"

Everyone's going to die on the street, it's funny

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

everything is on fire

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

EugeneJ posted:

"TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW ABOUT BITCOINS - I JUST PUT ALL MY MONEY INTO THEM"

Easy. It's a ponzi, so he needs to convince at least 1000 other people besides him to buy in, for the price to go up and for him to make money. Start with your family.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Often Abbreviated posted:

Is the fluctuation around $12k due to automated buy orders triggering? Are buttcoiners sending wave after wave of men money to try and choke the bear?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Guys I have it on strong authority (reddit) that mid-January is exactly the lowest price of the bitcoin year for each of the last 4 years because of the Lunar new year or some poo poo so it's up up uP from here. We're still on schedule for 10x in 2018!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This is it. It’s over. It’s all over... Plrwse... where is the suicidi e hotline, I can’t read th screen very well with these tears in my eyes

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is it. It’s over. It’s all over... Plrwse... where is the suicidi e hotline, I can’t read th screen very well with these tears in my eyes

https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/953239916732919810

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

scott zoloft posted:

"After the end of World War II, the world was split into two -- East and West. This marked the beginning of the era called the Cold War"
―Naked Snake[src]

i would buy a Nanocoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Today I sold an S9 to a guy, and his story was a gut punch

quote:

Everyone's very aware of the crazy markup happening with Bitmain's ASICs, and I thought it was time to offload one of my S9s to take advantage. Long story short, I bought before things went crazy, and my ROI had more than been met so it seemed like a good time to sell and put all of that in BCH directly. For all intents and purposes, I'm setup to buy a little over 2 BCH with the sell.

The guy who ended up buying it from me only lived a little over 2 hours from me, so I decided to take a drive and deliver it in person. He had already paid, and i'm always interested in meeting people who are interested in hobby mining.

Off I went.

When I get there, we spend a few minutes plugging things in and testing. I tell him to make sure to change the pool settings ASAP to make sure he's not mining to my wallet. I joked that if he really wanted to, he could and I wouldn't be upset about it.

We chatted a bit more about BCH and how it would change lives across the world, and that's when he told me his intentions.

His family is in Venezuela, and he was planning to get the S9 up and running quickly so he could get food to them via BCH. He would later tell me that he may try to get the machine into Venezuela, but that he feared that the S9 might be confiscated or taxed so heavily that it would destroy any possible ROI.

I guess I just needed to tell you all this because I've felt like absolute poo poo all day for being a greedy capitalist rear end in a top hat while this guy just wanted to feed his friends and family in a country that epitomizes what the power of BCH was created to combat. Yes, I completely believe him because he had already paid and had no incentive to lie.

What are we doing to each other in this world?

This guy spent $4000 on a miner so he could send fun bucks to his family, what an rear end in a top hat