Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's going to be a mess for at least six months. I'm almost certain that this is only the tip of the iceberg and now that the security flaw gold rush has begun, expect several more to be found in short order. Things are going to change wildly from day to day, Intel is just now publishing official charts regarding performance impacts with pretty large error bars.

I'm curious what post Spectre/Meltdown cpus will look like, and how soon they'll be available.

I'm doing my best not to think about it too hard right now as there's very little I can do about it directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is there a good laptop to buy right now, I heard mac has gone to hell, most important spec is battery life and non garbage screen.

edit: current laptop is a still a Thinkpad T510

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

shovelbum posted:

Is there a good laptop to buy right now, I heard mac has gone to hell, most important spec is battery life and non garbage screen.

edit: current laptop is a still a Thinkpad T510

Plenty! What are your priorities?

Based on nothing, I would recommend an xps 13 with a fhd panel, they're basically what the macbook air should have evolved into if apple gave a poo poo.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Plenty! What are your priorities?

Based on nothing, I would recommend an xps 13 with a fhd panel, they're basically what the macbook air should have evolved into if apple gave a poo poo.

Priority is battery life, screen resolution, not a mac (unless those are ok again), and build quality.

Main use case: sitting in a coffee shop pretending I have a job so it should look professionalish

Is there another Thinkpad I can buy that's good?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shovelbum posted:

Priority is battery life, screen resolution, not a mac (unless those are ok again), and build quality.

Main use case: sitting in a coffee shop pretending I have a job so it should look professionalish

Is there another Thinkpad I can buy that's good?

http://www.notebookreview.com/feature/laptop-battle-thinkpad-t470s-vs-thinkpad-x1-carbon-5th-generation2017/

T470 or X1 Carbon

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the x270 with maxxed out extended batteries gives 23 hours claimed battery life all in one package. Even if it's only 75% of that real world, you're looking at close to 18 hours.

The XPS 13 is a great laptop. It has USB-C charging, and you can buy USB-C batteries on Amazon for about $65 that will extend your laptops unplugged time from 4-6 hours. Anker makes the best ones.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The x270 is great, but the xps 13, especially with the fhd panel, gives you ridiculous battery life and the display is MUCH MUCH better, not to mention an inch bigger.

If I could afford one, I'd rock a 5th gen x1 carbon, though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wow, the T470 only has a 1080p display, what year is this like 1400?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

As somebody that did a full refresh of his computers this year (ultra portable, desktop,laptop for games) i am really exceptionally happy to hear about how bad my performance is going to be from my brand new Intel processors.

I think ill 100% be participating in any class actions I can

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

As somebody that did a full refresh of his computers this year (ultra portable, desktop,laptop for games) i am really exceptionally happy to hear about how bad my performance is going to be from my brand new Intel processors.

Don't worry it will take several new generations of processors and the better part of a decade to settle out as I understand it!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shovelbum posted:

Wow, the T470 only has a 1080p display, what year is this like 1400?

The S and P models can get the 2560 X 1440 screen

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

The S and P models can get the 2560 X 1440 screen

Aren't those like goofy models? I have never really understood. I wonder when T480 is supposed to come out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

shovelbum posted:

Aren't those like goofy models? I have never really understood. I wonder when T480 is supposed to come out.

S is thinner, the P has discrete graphics

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He means T470s (for slim) vs P70 (P for Pro, replaces the W for Workstation series).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

He means T470s (for slim) vs P70 (P for Pro, replaces the W for Workstation series).

No, there's a T470P

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T470p/p/22TP2TT470P

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ah cool, I thought shovelbum was asking about S series models like ye olde S510, etc.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, the New Dell XPS 13 is claiming the longest life of any of their line, but it uses the same processor, and the battery is 52 watt hours when the last model was 60. Is their marketing department just straight up lying?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

So, the New Dell XPS 13 is claiming the longest life of any of their line, but it uses the same processor, and the battery is 52 watt hours when the last model was 60. Is their marketing department just straight up lying?

It lost about 3 hours. As well as all the regular USB ports

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-xps-13

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

i did a thing (15" sb2)

I did a thing too (15" sb2). Playing Forza or Project Cars 2 in a hotel, then doing some Excel work, then watching Netflix on the treadmill (clipboard mode) is...the future...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

It lost about 3 hours. As well as all the regular USB ports

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-xps-13

Right, they say 16 hours of browsing down to 13, as the battery reduction would indicate. Knew they were full of poo poo. I'm trying to upgrade a fleet of work laptops and I might go with the previous model since it has a bigger battery, some full-size USB, more key travel, and $200 less, but that model with Coffee Lake was around for only a few months and they'll probably stop making them now...

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Right, they say 16 hours of browsing down to 13, as the battery reduction would indicate. Knew they were full of poo poo. I'm trying to upgrade a fleet of work laptops and I might go with the previous model since it has a bigger battery, some full-size USB, more key travel, and $200 less, but that model with Coffee Lake was around for only a few months and they'll probably stop making them now...

I like that the answer to every laptop question has become "buy a previous model".

All the new macs are evidently garbage, the thinkpad line is all over the place and as always has garbage battery, etc

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So my laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port. It also has a regular charging port. Can I use the Thunderbolt port to charge the laptop? Do I need something special for that or can is just plug in my USB-C phone charger?

Edit: Had a bit of a google and it looks like i can charge the laptop with the thunderbolt port but i need a charger that supports "USB power delivery" which my phone charger does not do. Good to know anyway.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 15, 2018

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I bet your USB-3 phone charger does not deliver nearly the necessary amount of wattage to charge your laptop.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Zero VGS posted:

Is this the battery life where to obtain it you have to run the laptop without touching it at second lowest brightness?

shovelbum posted:

I like that the answer to every laptop question has become "buy a previous model".

All the new macs are evidently garbage, the thinkpad line is all over the place and as always has garbage battery, etc

It's not improbably that all laptop manufacturers had an aneurysm at the same time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So i'm looking for a laptop with the following:

- Lightweight
- 14" or preferably 15" screen
- Used for photo editing/graphic design stuff (so a good screen), recording music (decent sound), and light gaming (mostly indie games and emulating up through PSX, I have a dedicated gaming PC)
- Decent battery life but not that important
- Budget ~$1000, could go a little higher

What should I look for? Do I really need dedicated graphics or would an integrated GPU be okay?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Boiled Water posted:

Is this the battery life where to obtain it you have to run the laptop without touching it at second lowest brightness?

The reviewers said this was their "browsing test", personally I think their in cahoots with three manufacturers because I get like 5 hours real world on an 8th Gen 1080p Dell XPS 13.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

The meltdown / spectre fiasco really won't be a noticeably problem for the vast majority of users. The 30% performance hit that people are talking about is specific to iops so unless you're running a high usage mysql server on your laptop, you won't notice much of a difference.

Big problem for datacenters though, hoo boy.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Leaning towards a 1050 Ti laptop given budget constraints. This Acer Nitro 5 and this Inspiron 7000appear to have near-identical specs; any reason I should go with one over the other?

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 15, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FoneBone posted:

Leaning towards a 1050 Ti laptop given budget constraints. This Acer Nitro 5 and this Inspiron 7000appear to have near-identical specs; any reason I should go with one over the other?

7567 has sharp loving corners on the keyboard deck, right at the wrist. This may cause you to appear as though a noncommital emo based on whether or not your wrist gets gouged by it continually.

However, the battery is huge and amazing and can reasonably be counted on to get you through an entire day without having to use the charger. (non-gaming workload, ofc) However, it only has 1x1 wireless.

That Acer, on the other hand, has a single USB-C port, which bodes better for futureproofing, even though I hate using that word. The 7567 has none.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 16, 2018

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
Based on advice shared in this thread I just bought an XPS 13, thanks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Lenovo 720S ultrabook on sale now in some parts of the world with an AMD APU, 15W TDP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3YsZT0ps4U

:toot: AMD.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Gallatin posted:

Based on advice shared in this thread I just bought an XPS 13, thanks.

Mine stopped crashing all the time, since theyve updated it , so thats good

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
What's the best way to get rid of a Lenovo Y50 with some sort of a loose screen connection issue? I have a new laptop and have factory reset kind of erased the Y50. The loose screen connection (assumed) hasn't manifested since the machine came back to California, but I assume shipping it to someone would have at least a 10% chance of it arriving with the screen not working.

I'd make it an HTPC but I'd rather have a quiet-fanned machine for that, and the NVidia Shield is doing the job alright (though it has to be rebooted every couple of weeks when it loses the USB thumb drive).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

So my laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port. It also has a regular charging port. Can I use the Thunderbolt port to charge the laptop? Do I need something special for that or can is just plug in my USB-C phone charger?

Edit: Had a bit of a google and it looks like i can charge the laptop with the thunderbolt port but i need a charger that supports "USB power delivery" which my phone charger does not do. Good to know anyway.

Usually anything over a certain wattage it'll work depending on the model, but if it's less power than the regular AC adapter expect some performance issues/slow charging.

i.e. I'm running my XPS 15 on USB-C after the charging port died a painful death. Anything over 60W is recognized as a charger and works. It's no longer effective for games though, and there's the occasional weird sound/other issues so you can tell it's not getting enough power to really work. Still, as as stop-gap it works fine for regular surfing and email and whatnot.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Usually anything over a certain wattage it'll work depending on the model, but if it's less power than the regular AC adapter expect some performance issues/slow charging.

i.e. I'm running my XPS 15 on USB-C after the charging port died a painful death. Anything over 60W is recognized as a charger and works. It's no longer effective for games though, and there's the occasional weird sound/other issues so you can tell it's not getting enough power to really work. Still, as as stop-gap it works fine for regular surfing and email and whatnot.

I have been researching this lately too and it varies a ton by model, running the gamut from the Macbook which can be charged from a power bank (awesome) to about what you're talking about and anywhere in between (Lenovo has some that can according to their specs run more or less happily at less than full charging speeds, say 45W). I am really hoping to see some more/larger USB-C Power Delivery power banks soon from reputable manufacturers - I know Razer and Dell have some smallish ones already that can push 45W but it seems to be a rapidly-evolving market segment.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Urgh updated the firmware on my work laptop (an HP 820 G2 so Broadwell generation) and performance has completely gone to poo poo.

I hope this isn’t the new post-Spectre norm for older systems because man it sucks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I didn't see it mentioned but the new X1 tablet looks really interesting:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12253/lenovo-reengineers-thinkpad-x1-tablet

I had planned on getting a x1 yoga but maybe this is a better option.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Ugh, I guess I should download a firmware update for my old Asus so that it doesn't betray me and steal my identity before I replace it.

Anyone have a sense of what the anti-Spectre update will do to an i5-3317 1.7GHz? Because if it makes it basically unusable I may need to upgrade machines sooner rather than later.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

knox_harrington posted:

I didn't see it mentioned but the new X1 tablet looks really interesting:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12253/lenovo-reengineers-thinkpad-x1-tablet

I had planned on getting a x1 yoga but maybe this is a better option.

Yeah, same here. This looks like a superb laptop-replacement tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Apollodorus posted:

Ugh, I guess I should download a firmware update for my old Asus so that it doesn't betray me and steal my identity before I replace it.

Anyone have a sense of what the anti-Spectre update will do to an i5-3317 1.7GHz? Because if it makes it basically unusable I may need to upgrade machines sooner rather than later.

Unless you're running a high traffic database server you will never notice the difference.