Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah I’m pretty sure the problem is my toolchain or lack thereof, not SBCL for SPARC being broken

I can’t figure out how to build glib2 though because configure doesn’t recognize Solaris threads and complains I’m missing a threading system

solaris 8 has pthreads, though

you shouldn't need to use solaris threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

solaris 8 has pthreads, though

you shouldn't need to use solaris threads

huh. it's probably a hosed up configure then, i haven't had a problem compiling anything else for GNU/Linux (pbuh)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plorkyeran posted:

i've never managed to compile a nontrivial application which can run on 10.6 without doing the compilation in a 10.6 vm using the last version of the sdk that supports it. 10.7+ are less of an issue, but building on the oldest OS you're targeting using a nice and out of date SDK has produced far fewer issues in my experience than trying to target old OSes with new SDKs.

this should be substantially better now that clang can at least warn about calls of too-new API that aren’t wrapped in an availability check

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c tp s: i think i killed ssh on our testing server by doing chmod -R 755 /home/$USER/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

also with the advice of twitter i have upgraded from a Sun Ultra 10 to a Sun Ultra 60 that should be arriving next week along with 1GB of RAM, a 10K RPM hard drive, and dual 450MHz CPU modules

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

c tp s: i think i killed ssh on our testing server by doing chmod -R 755 /home/$USER/

well, ~/.ssh should have 700 and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys should have 600, so that atleast is broken

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yeah sshd will bitch up a storm if your .ssh permissions are wrong so fix that or check the sshd logs to see what it's going on

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

well, ~/.ssh should have 700 and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys should have 600, so that atleast is broken

i think authorized keys should be 644 or 640 but whatever, ive already sent more than enough details and recollection of what i did to our sysadmin. here's hoping he is competent enough to have a root .ssh server and we don't have to wipe everything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yay, it is fixed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c tp s: what's a good way to monitor db values and email notifications to peoeple?

say i have table foo with columns bar and baz

i need to check each 3 hours the average value of baz, and if it is less than X or more than Y then an email must go out to computertoucher mcputerface

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
run a script with cron every 3 hours.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Kettle

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Probably

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

c tp s: what's a good way to monitor db values and email notifications to peoeple?

i need to check each 3 hours the average value of baz, and if it is less than X or more than Y then an email must go out to computertoucher mcputerface

postgres has listen/notify commands, but if you're using something else without those features you can probably just do a cron job

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

postgres has listen/notify commands, but if you're using something else without those features you can probably just do a cron job

im on poatgre 10 so ill check it out cheers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im on poatgre 10 so ill check it out cheers

in all honestly it may be easier to just run a cron job, but listen/notify would be pretty slick

keep it simple, stupid1!!

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 16, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

in all honestly it may be easier to just run a cron job, but listen/notify would be pretty slicky

i'll see about native options but my fallback is sqlalchemy python script scheduled with a cron job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

also with the advice of twitter i have upgraded from a Sun Ultra 10 to a Sun Ultra 60 that should be arriving next week along with 1GB of RAM, a 10K RPM hard drive, and dual 450MHz CPU modules

this will feel like 100x as fast because you will get off that busted-rear end cmd ide controller

an ultra60 with dual 450s, that is some luxury 1990s computing tell you what

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
you should be abstracting your db access so you dont have to monitor the db itself

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im on poatgre 10

wish you would postlessql

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you should be abstracting your db access so you dont have to monitor the db itself

that's moon runes to me. our current infrastructure is

prod databases -> replicas -> my cron'd python sql queries -> separate sql server for query results

and i got floated an idea to implement an "alert" system on the query result server. it seems to be irrelevant/compact enough to monitor it directly, am i wrong thinking that?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i mean do whatever works but if anyone at my work proposed that instead of catching it at whatever layer is writing to the DB, i'd start punching them in the head and not stop until they quit or died

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

prod databases -> replicas -> my cron'd python sql queries -> separate sql server for query results

what in the world

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

what in the world

what part of it? i had to roll a web service showing reports that dont exist, and we have no db people or devops people or even a second systems person of any kind so the fastest way out of trashfire project that got dumped on me was spinning up a corporate vps and rolling my own db server on it to store poo poo for the web service. as you might imagine from hearing "no db people", schema of the prod is so regrettable that i chose to python for invoking sql queries and subsequently injecting data into my db so that i can fix the worst of the crimes both in the source databases and source sql queries, for neither of which am i responsible

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
a client we're working with wants to be responsible for their SSL certs but so far on their existing site: the certificate is expired, the distinguished names are wrong, and the CA is untrusted

it's the SSL trifecta

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

in all honestly it may be easier to just run a cron job, but listen/notify would be pretty slick

keep it simple, stupid1!!

listen/notify isn't a message queue. if the listener is down for whatever reason, the notification will be lost

if you're not ok with occasionally missing a notification, you should keep a regular job querying the database every so often. then, you can use listen/notify to trigger that job early and speed things up without losing reliability

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
if you're desperate for more reliability you could use something like debezium's postgres extension that uses the WAL logs to stream changes, while still letting you access the data via JDBC:

https://github.com/debezium/postgres-decoderbufs

I'm guessing if you have no DB people though this is way beyond what you're allowed to do.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you're desperate for more reliability you could use something like debezium's postgres extension that uses the WAL logs to stream changes, while still letting you access the data via JDBC:

https://github.com/debezium/postgres-decoderbufs

I'm guessing if you have no DB people though this is way beyond what you're allowed to do.

i rolled my own server so i can do whatever, but seeing so many cron mentions im not sure i want to complicate much

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what's your recovery plan

make a table

uuid, email address, lastCheckTime, lastSentTime, lastMessage

run a script that polls this table
for each email, see if you need to check, update lastCheckTime, and send a email & update sent/message if so

if you like, run it as a worker

add triggers to send notify events when data changes

then in between polling, listen for new emails/data to recheck

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a client we're working with wants to be responsible for their SSL certs but so far on their existing site: the certificate is expired, the distinguished names are wrong, and the CA is untrusted

it's the SSL trifecta

are they also using 768-bit RSA with MD2

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this will feel like 100x as fast because you will get off that busted-rear end cmd ide controller

an ultra60 with dual 450s, that is some luxury 1990s computing tell you what

hell yeah

I’ve never seen a computer that required SDRAM installed in quads instead of pairs, presumably because of the 512-bit memory bus what the gently caress

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

hell yeah

I’ve never seen a computer that required SDRAM installed in quads instead of pairs, presumably because of the 512-bit memory bus what the gently caress

bandwidth!

you’ll need it for your NeWS

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the u60/u80 family had insanely beefy memory buses considering they were "low-end" systems

a U60 had 7 GB/s memory bandwidth -- 512 bits per transfer @ 112.5 MHz. for comparison, a pentium II xeon w/ PC100 SDRAM had 800 mb/s. a contemporary high-end sun system, a 6800, had a 9.6 gb/s backplane and up to 8 gb/s per cpu board.

pc hardware didn't really "catch up" until amd opteron / intel nehalem.

edit: also sun by no means had a monopoly on high performance. if anything they were probably the pokiest of the unix vendors. i just worked with sun more than the others.

PCs just sucked that bad back then

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 17, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

uh yeah jesus the Ultra 60 is going to be ten million times as fast as the Ultra 10 isn’t it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

uh yeah jesus the Ultra 60 is going to be ten million times as fast as the Ultra 10 isn’t it

cpu wise it's not that far off, especially since you had a u10 equipped with the L2 cache and stuff

but you can't underestimate how fuckin bad the ide is in the u10. the u10 spends like 90% of its time loving with the ide controller, and only 10% of its time actually doing anything for your program

the u60 will feel 10x faster despite being only modestly more capable

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh trip report now that I got the SunPCi working

i told it to create a disk image and it booted to a premade Caldera DR-DOS installation in an otherwise blank 8GB disk.

it also loaded some Sun drivers and a utility that maps Unix paths on the host to drive letters

the software got confused when I tried to mount my DVD reader so I had to mount /cdrom as a drive then run the windows setup.exe from there

Windows took about an hour to install on the 300MHz K6 and ran at about 5fps initially. it also crashed Solaris at one point somehow. Then I installed the Windows driver package and it runs much better, like a real live PC in a window on my desktop.

gonna load up Open Watcom and do some DOS programming hell yeah

There’s also an option to route the video out to a VGA second monitor I haven’t tried yet, presumably to go with all the I/O ports on the card

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol i have never seen a sunpci card actually working

nice one, l30

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol i have never seen a sunpci card actually working

nice one, l30

I had to get the software from a guy on twitter who got it from a sun guy because it’s just plain missing from the internet

I also had to mess with it to get it to load the drivers in Solaris 10

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

I had to get the software from a guy on twitter who got it from a sun guy because it’s just plain missing from the internet

I also had to mess with it to get it to load the drivers in Solaris 10

you not only got a sunpci working you got it working on sol 10

i think we can call you a sun wizard and sign you up for the rescue list now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think we can call you a sun wizard and sign you up for the rescue list now

also some counselling

• Locked thread