Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Does anyone have any experience in/working with the Ministry for Women? There's a job opening there that my partner is considering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

bike tory posted:

Pretty sure the under 35 viewership of Breakfast is zero

I watched it in the morning while having my breakfast and making my lunch for the day, mainly as a way to get an idea of the headlines overnight. I switched away to the other one when Hosking joined though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Robo Captain posted:

Did a goon design the engineering New Zealand logo?

Motherfucker, that's a dead ringer for my signature.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your signature is an abstracted male genitalia?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I like to dick with my clients, what can I say?

(It actually looks more like a wheat sheaf, but eh)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A wireframe toilet seat.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Congrats to our new stand in prime minister Winston, he'll be chuffed at the recent news.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Better get those paid parental leave changes through.
But congrats to them and I hope it all goes well.

Edit: Welp only taking 6 weeks off, that is going to be tough. Even 6 months feels too short.
6 weeks is the minimal physical recovery time assuming no complications. Never mind everything else.

Varkk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 18, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I wonder how much maternity leave she'll take

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
:unsmith:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Stuff is good and good at their jobs:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Stuff is good and good at their jobs:

that should be scribbled out with 2018 scrawled next to it like most people do

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

that should be scribbled out with 2018 scrawled next to it like most people do

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

lmao perfect

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Looking forward to all the opinion pieces this announment will spawn.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I assume they can get by on her salary alone while Clarke stays home with the baby

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kids only at 3 months gestation and is already a better human being than max key

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

I assume they can get by on her salary alone while Clarke stays home with the baby

I for one think she should quit her job so that he can pursue his career making fishing videos on YouTube, it's the way God intended

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

That baby was definitely conceived on election night.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

e: jokes about women giving sexual favours for political gain are kinda lovely

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 19, 2018

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol if that was part of the coalition deal.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Congrats to Jacinda and whatnot but I came here to bitch and moan about something else...

Students rejoice for after years of fighting for a bit of extra cash. This year they get an extra $50 dollars added to their allowance, but before they can even say "yay I can eat now" loving piece of poo poo landlords are like "oh funny, rent just up by exactly $50"

Thankfully this doesn't really affect me but I'm still loving furious about it, this money was supposed to lessen the financial burden that students have to deal with, not pad the wallets of property investors. loving scum, I hope something gets done about this blatant thievery but i doubt anything will come of it.

This did appear on my facebook timeline, so if your rent is suddenly going up by $50 for no reason, get in contact.

Grant Robertson posted:

Everyone knows that the rental housing market in Wellington is tight. The Government is committed to helping increase the supply of housing and to improving the rights of renters. But that is going to take some time. In the meantime there is no excuse for landlords exploiting the situation. My office is getting stories of $50 per week increases on the basis that student allowances and living cost payments have gone up by that much. Let me know if this has happened to you. Landlords will increase rents from time to time but it needs to be fair and reasonable. Let’s expose those who are exploiting you and your friends. Send me an email at community@grantrobertson.co.nz.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Drag these fuckers into the street and beat them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

e: jokes about women giving sexual favours for political gain are kinda lovely

That's reaching for offense like a Dutch driver lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But being a landlord is haaaard think of all those struggling property owners barely getting by, they need that fifty bucks to take their q7 to the car-fe.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Pretty sure elected positions don't get parental leave.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If you join our coalition you can play PM for a little bit next year. - Some incoming Herald opinion piece.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sebmojo posted:

Is it this by any chance? You should have a look back anyway so you don't get taken out by a car if you want to consider bikes "Bonus", but a specific method? what?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/100674418/dutch-reach-yeah-nah-shell-be-right-mate

Imagine having a bang on a night like that with someone you love off the high of the victory you have worked your life towards with a million+ people supporting you. I can't imagine how this couldn't be a reward. If she did conceive on the night bloody good on her and she is now a little bit more awesome than before.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Nah I'd edited out something I'd posted, nvm

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oohhboy posted:

I can't imagine how this couldn't be a reward.
Here I'll help you get into the mindset of a Hoskingite: She's a woman and for her sex is nothing more than a duty to be rendered to men.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Here I'll help you get into the mindset of a Hoskingite: She's a woman and for her sex is nothing more than a duty to be rendered to men.

They could swing it that she did exactly that. Checkmate, Leighton Smith.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Somehow Duncan Garner always manages to write the worst takes on everything. This time he manages to congratulate Jacinda and still come off as a total wang
https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/parenting/baby/caring-for-baby/100731983/duncan-garner-an-open-letter-to-two-new-parentstobe

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like unsolicited parental advice is such a creepy/weird thing. Like, just because you've had a child doesn't mean you're any good at parenting or that you're in a position to provide relate-able advice.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Xik posted:

I feel like unsolicited parental advice is such a creepy/weird thing. Like, just because you've had a child doesn't mean you're any good at parenting or that you're in a position to provide relate-able advice.

Ya totally, and you just know Garner was a lazy as gently caress father. And it's especially bad when he's written pieces in the past about how he thinks all women should stay at home with kids. It makes his whole "oh you make the decision Jacinda but if you want to take six months then feel free!" all the more patronising.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Here's a bit of intense nostalgia (for any who went to a public school in NZ), with a decent article mixed in: https://thespinoff.co.nz/music/18-01-2018/sausages-and-custard-an-ode-to-the-weird-and-wonderful-kiwi-kidsongs-albums/

quote:

Not only did each iteration of Kiwi Kidsongs contain lyrics likely to be remembered longer than the finer details of long division (just me?), but they were songs written by true legends of New Zealand music. It was this variety that Radha Sahar, songwriter and musical director for the majority of the Kiwi Kidsongs albums, believes was the true strength of the collection. “People all around the country wrote these,” Sahar says. “It’s a very comprehensive celebration of New Zealand writing and culture.”

Take a look at any of the albums’ catalogues, and you’re bound to spot a name you’ll recognise. In addition to Sahar, Hinewehi Mohi, Jenny McLeod, Alan Muggeridge, Kath Bee and Jenny Pattrick also all had songs on the series — as did the late Hirini Melbourne and Arif Usmani. The albums also included iconic songs and waiata that are part of New Zealand’s musical canon, such as ‘E papa Waiari’, ‘Nature’, ‘Tōia Mai Te Waka Nei’, ‘Counting the Beat’ and ‘Six Months in a Leaky Boat’. The songs covered all musical genres, were written in English, Māori, Samoan and other Pasifika languages, and referenced distinctly Kiwi brands, places and things.

In short: Teachers loved them, they were really awesome, and the fact that we all still remember them years later proves that they played a part in helping kids form a cultural identity.

So what happened to Kiwi Kidsongs?

In 2010, the final Kiwi Kidsongs album was released, funding was pulled, and the series ended. It was the result, Marriott says, of a “new climate” with a focus on reading and writing rather than music. While some of the songs have been re-recorded and are available online, the majority have been condemned to a life in the back of primary school cupboards.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

‘E papa Waiari’

Why the hell do I still remember this song just from reading the title.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Wait. Stage Challenge is ended? What the gently caress? Someone find some drat money.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I remember none of those songs. Maybe I'm too old? (36)

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I remember none of those songs. Maybe I'm too old? (36)

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I thought it would've been Toara Twist and the like, which did get played constantly at primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Looks like it was something introduced in 1990. So anyone born before 1985 would have been unlikely to encounter them.

• Locked thread