Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I like the drawing of John Ritter on his wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Panfilo posted:

I'm curious, will the subprime auto loan also burst like with the housing one? Does that mean holding off until it does means you could get a much cheaper vehicle?

Yeah, I'm sure we're not the only dealership doing this. And subprime is like, 40% of the traffic here. I feel like Im in the Big Short going 'yeah, we're in a bubble.'

We do a lot of cars for people who had repos or bankruptcies. Two repos, three repos, repo last week? Here are the keys.

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Also, the people profiteering off this kind of thing are gonna be scummy as gently caress, so who knows what kind of condition the car would be in regardless.

Is buying 'certified pre-owned' BWM? I thought they hold to a higher standard? But the prices don't seem that much cheaper than a new car, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of buying a used car...:psyduck:

I like to think I'm helping :v: Well, some people. A lot of customers, they had a medical thing, lost their job, couldn't keep up payments, whatever. Getting them a car is lifechanging.

Some customers, they are just doing fake paystubs and lying. And some are just really BWM.

Cacafuego posted:

I demand more BWM stories from you. As someone who hands out subprime loans at a car dealership, you must have a bunch.

Had a customer with 2 SUVs that were more than 90 days late. Wanted a third SUV. I honestly have no idea what he was thinking there. We ended up getting the deal approved if his mom bought, but she wouldn't help him. She's GWM.

Had a customer who made six figures, had a 500 score, and already had a truck note for 40k. He wanted a scat pack Challenger. We ended up getting his brother to be the primary buyer, and the customer would just pay him. Brother is BWM :v:

Yesterday had someone trade their 5k underwater car for a Buick Enclave Premium that they would use for uber. His roommate helped him sign for it.

Had someone, after signing all the papers, ask how many months the payments were.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I don't see how subprime auto loans could blow up in the same way as subprime mortgage loans.

- Auto loans are for a depreciating asset and everyone knows this. There's no manic enthusiasm for rising automobile prices across the board, and no automobile ladder people have to get on.
- The entire process of obtaining the car defaulted on is substantially lower cost than the process of foreclosing and evicting a bad mortgage.
- Cars are not fixed to some geographic location the way that houses are and thus are less subject to market whims.
- Way less cash is tied up in a car loan than is a mortgage.

Dwight Eisenhower fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 16, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I don't see how subprime auto loans could blow up in the same way as subprime mortgage loans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjQ3hA9mEA

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Panfilo posted:

Is buying 'certified pre-owned' BWM? I thought they hold to a higher standard? But the prices don't seem that much cheaper than a new car, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of buying a used car...:psyduck:

It can be -- some brands do very little in terms of Inspection and extra maintenance to get a car to CPO status, and then don't do you any favors with the CPO warranty. In those cases, it's paying extra for the same used car you could have bought in the private market.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

I'm more concerned about the direct affiliation with a particular company. Like if Pfizer hired doctors to work at Pfizer clinics and only prescribe Pfizer products. Except worse because they're prescribing these things without scientific evidence that they actually work, and most importantly because the doctors at the doTerra clinics really aren't recommending the products, they're trying to add more recruits to the pyramid. Per the website the oils won't even be available at the clinics themselves except as samples, the patients must go to the individual distributors whereupon they will get the usual marketing spiel about ~sharing the oils~ and be upselled on buying a starter kit to get sucked into the oily cult.

This is a bit derail-ish but might count as BWM.

Doctors already do lots of lovely things. Pharma companies used to hire a bunch of hot young women as reps who'd go around to the doctor's offices shilling their drugs. Their analytics would show a spike in sales following each rep.

Hospitals are limited in how they are allowed to pay doctors (for the reason of not literally being able to pay a physician to send business to the hospital). Of course they do it anyways by simply employing the doctors and telling the doctors to do all their procedures at the hospital (this is legal). Sometimes the doctors still don't (even getting their paycheck from the hospital) because the hospital is bad.

When doctors do certain procedures they choose the supplies they use for the procedure. For example for knee / hip replacements you actually insert an artificial knee or hip where the bad, real one used to be. Doctors will often insert the crazy-expensive mercedes-benz of knees into people because the sales rep of the fancy-knees bought them a nice steak dinner or has kids at the same school.

This isn't even counting the doctors who buy an MRI machine for their office and make sure it's being used dawn-to-dusk whether or not patients need it in order to get their investment back ASAP.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
BWM 2018: Aside from the cow I don't see anything on this list that I'll likely get again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3kjhfw/how_i_wasted_12000_this_past_year_and_what_should/

How I wasted $12,000 this past year and what should I do with $12k in the next year? posted:

I'm 30 years old, married, and have 2 kids. Long story short: In June 2014 I got a new job(Job B) that paid 25% more than my last job(Jab A). Then in October 2014 that job got outsourced but the outsourcing company liked me and offered me a job(Job C) making close to 75% more thatn what I was making at my previous job(job A). So my first year making this much money I splurged A LOT. To the tune of $12k. I worked hard these past 5 years so I wanted treat myself.

Here's what I spent the money on(Ballpark estimates)

$1500- Watercooled gaming PC

$500 - FreeNAS machine

$500 - PS4 and games

$500 - Wii U and games

$800 - 3DS and games. it was actually 3 different 3DS systems which were $470

$600 - Funko Pops

$1500 - Phones( I had to get a one replacement because 1 of the phones broke) Otherwise this would have been closer to $1000

$500 - DSLR

$1000 - Furniture that were optional and not NEEDED but I wanted

$1200 - 1/2 grass fed Cow

$500 - Anime boston

$1500 - baby stuff

$1500 - presents, birthdays and misc

Aside from the cow I don't see anything on this list that I'll likely get again. I'm going to get modest with presents and birthdays. I'll probably skip anime boston this year or if I go I'll control myself with the spending. Realistically speaking I don't think I'll be saving all $12k but $8-10k should be realistic. What I should do with that money is where I need help. My credit is not great so I would like repair and make it better. I'm at about 650 ish credit score and I'd like to be at 750.

I have about $32k in student loans that I'm paying back on time every month and reflects good on my credit I just financed a car for $24k. like 2 weeks ago. 5.09% interest which is not great but it's not bad. I can live with it. I paid off my previous car this year but I did miss some payments during the finance term and I'm wondering if there's anyway I get this removed from my credit report. Like as an act of good will or something. I have a private student loan that I been avoiding. but I'm pretty sure it's affecting my credit score badly. Like I graduated college in 2011 and I have just not been picking up their calls which is dumb I know. I have an upcoming court date with BoA about a CC that was closed a long time ago so I'm not sure it still shows up on my credit report but I think the firm representing them keeps pulling up my credit and that might be affecting it badly.

I think there's 2 other misc things on my credit that are fairly cheap to pay and have removed from my credit report I hope. 1 is Early Termination FEE from verizon and I forget what the other one was but the 2 are about $400 together so easy enough to take care off. I only have 1 line of Credit and that's with Amazon. It's a very high interest rate card but I only use it with the special financing option which doesn't charge interest. IF paid off in a year ($500+) or 6 months ($150) No savings. Planning on getting on my company's 401k during open enrollment. But no other plans as far savings and other types of accounts that helps me get more money

So PF gurus what do you think the best course of action should be for me. Please guide me because I'm terrible with money and never realized how important credit was in this country.

Thanks in advanced.

Edit here is my Salary and expenses Salary is $70k/year it's broken down weird though but whatever still $70k

$60k salary

$6k in regional living expense bonus (6k/26)

$4k in quarterly performance bonus($4k/4)

I get paid bi weekly. I take home about $3900 after taxes and health insurance every month. I get $1k every quarter for my bonus

My expenses

$1000 rent

$500 car ($421 minimum)

$130 car insurance

$220 student loan(The one I'm actually paying)

$110 Cell phone bill

$220 train pass

$70 gas

$50 diapers and other bay stuff

$500 food

So that leaves me with a $1k

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 16, 2018

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/740d4a/inheritance_wasted_money_in_stocks/

Inheritance & wasted money in stocks posted:

Hello Friends,

I'm pretty dissapointed in myself and I think I made a bad decision. Im a university student and I don't haven't had a job since highschool. With school and rent my expenses are around $14,000 for every 8 month school year and this summer I wanted to do a coop position so I should be making money. Just for some context.

I recently (last year) inherited about 50 grand from my late grandmother and will be receiving more in the coming months (something like 80k). I am very very grateful to have gotten this and have already used a good chunk maybe 15k to pay for school and rent and some things for my parents bc they deserve it. Anyway I decided that I want to make the money back so I looked into stock trading, day trading specifically. I'm pretty embarrassed to say that I was really confident and determined in this venture and spent 3 grand on courses. I've been trading in a simulator for maybe 2 months now and I haven't had a green day in weeks. And when I do have a green day it's like 30% of my average losing day. I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I've got all this money, do y'all think it would be more wise to try to continue with trading and hopefully become profitable? Or should I just keep using the inheritance and pay for school? (With coop and hopefully a good job out of uni, I'm in an engineering program, I wouldn't run out of money. The 35 can last me basically the rest of my program). Or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance! Adulting is hard haha.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I want to stop paying my life insurance but my mom wont let me.. posted:

Hello,

I currently have a 10 pay life insurance. My mom set me up this 5 years ago. i pay 67CAD/month. it beeen more than 5 years so i spent like 4.4k cad so far and ive been reading a lot on reddit and a lot of ppl say you dont need a life insurance and its better to get term life. Policy give me 100k if i die before 10 years and 200k if i finish with the 10 years payment.

But i called my insurance company (london life) and they said i will only get 467$? cash out if i surrender my insurance.

Should i just complete the 5 years left (around 3.6k) or gave up on it but loose like 4k$ i wasted on this insurance..

And my mom really want me too keep this and even offer to pay for it..

But i dont want her to pay for this and waste her money.. i feel like i dont need this. im only 20 years old,bno kids and in university,

Help plz ty

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Good Parmesan posted:

BWM 2018: Aside from the cow I don't see anything on this list that I'll likely get again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3kjhfw/how_i_wasted_12000_this_past_year_and_what_should/

I broke out the best parts

quote:

How I wasted $12,000 this past year [on mostly misc instead of dealing with my debts]

I have about $32k in student loans and I just financed a car for $24k. like 2 weeks ago.

I have a private student loan that I been avoiding

1 is Early Termination FEE from verizon and I forget what the other one was but the 2 are about $400 together so easy enough to take care off.

Please guide me because I'm terrible with money and never realized how important credit was in this country.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You missed the $600 of funko pop figurines.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good Parmesan coming fast with that pure poo poo. Just gently caress me up, my dude.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

$1500 - presents, birthdays and misc

How much more misc can you get after $3800 on gaming, and $600 on 'collectible' figurines.

e: I just learned what funko pops are

bahahaha are you kidding me

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

How much more misc can you get after $3800 on gaming, and $600 on 'collectible' figurines.

I'm sorry, what don't you understand? They're an investment!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Funko pops I've never understood. They all vaguely look like each other, and only vaguely look like what character they're supposed to be.

I mean I guess that's what makes them so easy to poo poo out for everything and anything, so I get why they're made from a business standpoint, but not why they're bought from a consumer view.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I like how people treat hoarding mass merchandized plastic crap as a hobby. There's no curation of these "collections" or any activity traditionally associated with collecting, it's literally just driving to Target.

The outer edges of my social circle are full of hoarding nerds. If you need three jobs and a bigger house to store your poo poo, you're BWM.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Funko pops are absolutely NOT just like beanie babies, despite what you might read comparing the two.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Funko HQ is in my town and it's actually a super awesome place that's packed every weekend. They have themed "worlds" (Gotham, Tokyo, Disney, Marvel, Hoth, Diagon Alley); it's like a mini Disneyland without the rides and tons of life size figures and details everywhere, including a batmobile you can climb in and take a picture. I've been there a good half dozen times since they opened last year, just to check everything out.

Still haven't bought a pop from there, though.

very stable genius posted:

Funko pops are absolutely NOT just like beanie babies, despite what you might read comparing the two.

How so?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

:thejoke:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

quote:

$1500- Watercooled gaming PC

$500 - PS4 and games

$500 - Wii U and games

$800 - 3DS and games. it was actually 3 different 3DS systems which were $470

Yes surely you need a gaming PC, a home console, and four portable consoles (three of which are the same) to satisfy your hobby.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I like how he puts "Baby Stuff" under the wasted category too. Father of the year there.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

metallicaeg posted:

Funko pops I've never understood. They all vaguely look like each other, and only vaguely look like what character they're supposed to be.

I mean I guess that's what makes them so easy to poo poo out for everything and anything, so I get why they're made from a business standpoint, but not why they're bought from a consumer view.

I know someone who collects these.

Apparently there are some with a sticker on the box. That makes them worth more. Certain stickers are rarer than others! Also the figure inside might look slightly different.

I don't understand why retailers don't just go through every box and sell the 'rare' ones for more by default and kill the aftermarket dead.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

I like how he puts "Baby Stuff" under the wasted category too. Father of the year there.

Maybe he's talking about himself?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7qtvry/wifes_parents_are_expecting_us_to_pay_for_parent/

quote:

Throughout college my wife was not told the dangers of student loans and each year her parents helped her signup for Parent Plus loans to pay for it. She is now graduated but he parents are asking us to pay the $658 bill each much for the Parent Plus loans. Now we don't want to cut ties with them as we are aware that we don't need to pay for it. But it is an awkward and upsetting situation. The problem is the payment amount is based on the parents which make a significant income. Is there a way to transfer these loans to us? We cannot manage that when we have our own loans ($167, and $187) a month for student loans and a $1196 mortgage.

Any thoughts or help?

We make about $120,000 before taxes combined, but it is too much to pay $1012 a month.

----------------------------------------------

>> Did your wife agree to repay them when her parents took the loan out?

yes but she did not realize they took the max out and would need to repay 100k.

-----------------------------------------------

Her parents chose to take the loans and signed paperwork agreeing they would be the ones to repay. They can’t suddenly reneg on that and expect someone else to pay. Does the daughter have the right to demand her stafford loans be paid by her parents? I’d say she had more of a standing to ask that as they were financially responsible for her and didn’t save while she was younger

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

very stable genius posted:

Yeah, the fabric in beanie babies is less wasteful. :v:

quote:

e: I just learned what funko pops are

I particularly like the six identical boxes with the red/black colored guy.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Budgie posted:

I don't understand why retailers don't just go through every box and sell the 'rare' ones for more by default and kill the aftermarket dead.

We used to do this with hot wheels and Star Wars action figures when I was in high school and worked at toys r us.

I know someone who collects those funkopop things. Despite being a smart person with a pretty good job, everything else in her life is a complete train wreck (autistic adult son who only wants make a career out of YouTube videos, husband arrested for B&E on someone in a house and robs a bank while on parole, way into walking dead, shows photos of orgy parties she goes to). This is what I expect all funkopop collectors are like and the stories I’ve seen on SA alone about them don’t make me disbelieve my assumption.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Maybe he's talking about himself?
Bless your heart.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

metallicaeg posted:

Terrible nerds who collect for the sake of collecting. People buying gifts and going "oh, they're into X, here's a Funko Pop of a character from X."

Good Parmesan posted:

lol at the inevitable "actually, that's a reasonable amount to spend on gaming stuff" replies.

quote:

[–]PrancingPeach
41 points 2 years ago
He's got a big family it sounds like. I really doubt he's the only one playing the games. The only exception might be the watercooled PC, but honestly $1500 is on the low end for that.

That said, there's nothing wrong at all with playing video games as a parent. The dude just spent too much money on it all.

quote:

[–]Copernican
253 points 2 years ago

In his defense a water-cooled computer at $1500 should not sound outrageous compared to something like a MacBook Pro beginning at $1300. As long as it's functional to work and productivity outside of gaming, I don't think it's as ridiculous as people who drop the cash on macbooks but only use the web browser and word processor.
Yes, a $1500 gaming PC is definitely reasonable since it was watercooled. :jerkbag:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
They make $10k a month gross and can’t handle $1k in loans?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
It's reasonable to buy a entertainment console for you and your kids, but 4 different ones, and one of those ecosystems is 3x 3DS :raise:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

Bless your heart.

Oh sorry, I thought it said manbaby stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

cowofwar posted:

They make $10k a month gross and can’t handle $1k in loans?
His post history is smart watches, litecoin mining, and the_donald

You tell me

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Oh sorry, I thought it said manbaby stuff.
I know. It was a slick burn and I was congratulating you on it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tomfoolery posted:

This is a bit derail-ish but might count as BWM.

Doctors already do lots of lovely things. Pharma companies used to hire a bunch of hot young women as reps who'd go around to the doctor's offices shilling their drugs. Their analytics would show a spike in sales following each rep.

How's that say anything about anything? The point of sending a sales rep is to sell drugs. If your sales rep is doing his or her job, then the visit will result in sales. So you'd expect a spike in sales following each rep, regardless of sex or attractiveness.

Also, nope:

https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2011/02/are_all_drug_reps_hot.html

(Full disclosure: My dad was a doc. I met a lot of drug reps. I don't recall a single one as being hot.)

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Good Parmesan posted:

I'm wondering if there's anyway I get this removed from my credit report. Like as an act of good will or something.

After working in a credit call center, this is what got me the most.

If everyone could remove their pay history, how would the system even work? Erase everyone’s defaults, now everyone has an 800 Fico.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Risky Bisquick posted:

It's reasonable to buy a entertainment console for you and your kids, but 4 different ones, and one of those ecosystems is 3x 3DS :raise:

This dead video game forum suggests your priorities are wrong. Did you know some 3ds games do not allow multiple save points?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Do the students have to sign on these as well? I assume that their credit gets hosed if neither they nor the parents pay, right?

savesthedayrocks posted:

After working in a credit call center, this is what got me the most.

If everyone could remove their pay history, how would the system even work? Erase everyone’s defaults, now everyone has an 800 Fico.

I used to like this when I worked at a bank. "You've ruined my credit score!" No dude, you missed four payments on your mortgage, YOU ruined your credit score.

Also the people who view their credit score as something independent of their actions. If you're poo poo at paying back money, people won't lend you money, this isn't complicated.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 16, 2018

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The best part is where people start doing the math on the expenses the OP listed until the OP finally fesses up:

quote:

We spend 3546 a month average on a other expenses(going to the store for food, eating out, buying a new game or whatever). I guess that is where this lies.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Fil5000 posted:

Do the students have to sign on these as well? I assume that their credit gets hosed if neither they nor the parents pay, right?

I think it's all on the parents. I had Parent Plus loans under both of my parents names, separately, as well as smaller amounts under my name exclusively. The PP accounts are not on my credit report, but the ones under my name exclusively are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

A coworker of mine asked in good faith, "Why don't we lend to people with a prison address?' I had a hard time explaining calmly why it wasn't good business sense for a lending company to lend to citizens without consistent income or with the capacity to conduct business freely. We work at a consumer lending company.