Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BrightWing posted:

Started up Ys Origin, anything I should really know? Seems like a really arcade-y top down arpg, which works for me. Beat the second boss as Yunucia already.

- There's ALWAYS one weapon upgrade, one armor upgrade and one boot upgrade per tier. (aside from the first tier, that lacks an armor upgrade) The game's expecting you to get those or boss fights will become quite difficult.

- The second tier has an instance where you need to equip an item that's an inventory item, rather than a piece of equipment. That basically means "using" the item once and not using another item until you stop needing it.

- The third character's ending is the canon ending of the game.

- You CAN switch magic types mid-battle through one of the shoulder buttons/triggers. (the keyboard equivalent should be in the setup) Seems obvious, but some poor schmucks failed to figure this out until the final boss did a :getin: on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Some Numbers posted:

The natural 30% evade makes getting to 100% super easy, so you can shove a couple of Shield quartz and also give her a decent shot of dodging spells.

It's so easy that you can ditch Falco in favor of Murakumo to make her autocrits deal even more damage.

The dodgetank build is so stupidly good in CS2 once you get Wrath.

I haven't played CS2 yet, but Fie as a dodgetank was crap because if you built it right, nothing should get an attack off. Also because Fie somehow forgot that she has guns and Range 1 counterattacks are poo poo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m pretty sure someone mentioned that Fie’s counters in CS2 are like 3-4 range attacks because she remembered that she has guns. Also bosses have way better stat resists than 1, basically starting at endgame CS1 boss levels, so you’re frequently staring down 10-20 delay resist which even with stacking isn’t always foolproof.

Plus it’s just a different way to break the game. I went through CS1 my first time without ever touching arts but my second playthough I pretty much spammed Dark Matter once I realized that the MP regen quartz basically topped you off.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Per the facebook CS2 PC is currently in the QA phase. Not too long now!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The overdrive system just makes you pile on way too much damage that delay barely matters.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Zaggitz posted:

Per the facebook CS2 PC is currently in the QA phase. Not too long now!!

Hooray! Soontm

Origin is cool, light on story but it stays moving, combat feels mostly good, climbing on the big bosses has been the worst of it really, otherwise I dig it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Star Door 8 makes a lot more sense after playing Cold Steel 1.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It was scary enough after just sky 1 and 2

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
After beating Cold Steel 1 (PC), I went back and read this thread, looking for reactions to the game.

Wonderslug posted:

Congratulations, Emma, you made it through an entire Trails game with less characterization than every other member of the main cast, most secondary characters, many generic-model NPCs, and a handful who didn't even get names. Your capacity to withhold important information and actively dodge character development is impressive! Your prize is gently caress you.

:allears: I love this quote so much.

GrandpaPants posted:

Star Door 8 makes a lot more sense after playing Cold Steel 1.

I finished CS 1 not so long ago, so I just watched that again, and I still think Star Door 8 is much more enlightening about CS 1 than the other way around. That said, it's possible that "Fourth Imperial Intelligence Division" might actually be the official name of the Ironbloods. There's also some very interesting similarities in the M.O. of both (CS 1 ending) Lechter and Crow - both were undercover at schools, and both pretended to be simple, lazy, easy to read types.

I could have sworn that someone said that Towa and Sara could appear as options at the dance, but I don't see them there, even though I completed all bonding events with everyone (I carried over max points on a NG+). I have all my Classmate from Class VII - including latecomers, even though Rean was only at link level 4 with them, and I have the "Can't think of anyone" (Elise/Alfin option, but that's all. There are hidden achievements for them, so I guess I needed to spend at least 1-2 of the festival events with them to unlock them as options? (Or carry link levels over to NG++.) Just asking for completeness's sake.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You should get access to Towa and Sara if you did the Chapter 5/6 Bonding events, but you may have to use Festival Tickets on them as well.

You can't check your link level with Towa, but if you did all her Bonding events, you should have enough. For Sara I think you need 4400 Link EXP?

quote:

There's also some very interesting similarities in the M.O. of both (CS 1 ending) Lechter and Crow - both were undercover at schools, and both pretended to be simple, lazy, easy to read types.

Yeah, I remember someone saying that (CS1) Lechter dismissing Crow as a suspect was a huge oversight on his part for exactly that reason.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 17, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

After beating Cold Steel 1 (PC), I went back and read this thread, looking for reactions to the game.

:allears: I love this quote so much.

I finished CS 1 not so long ago, so I just watched that again, and I still think Star Door 8 is much more enlightening about CS 1 than the other way around. That said, it's possible that "Fourth Imperial Intelligence Division" might actually be the official name of the Ironbloods. There's also some very interesting similarities in the M.O. of both (CS 1 ending) Lechter and Crow - both were undercover at schools, and both pretended to be simple, lazy, easy to read types.

I could have sworn that someone said that Towa and Sara could appear as options at the dance, but I don't see them there, even though I completed all bonding events with everyone (I carried over max points on a NG+). I have all my Classmate from Class VII - including latecomers, even though Rean was only at link level 4 with them, and I have the "Can't think of anyone" (Elise/Alfin option, but that's all. There are hidden achievements for them, so I guess I needed to spend at least 1-2 of the festival events with them to unlock them as options? (Or carry link levels over to NG++.) Just asking for completeness's sake.

That quote is the most accurate look at Emma I have ever seen.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Their combat links must still not be high enough. You'd have to reload, spend those tickets, and go through the final dungeon all over again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really like CS so far. I also really liked Trails in the Sky for like 20 hours before getting kind of bored with it, largely because of how slow the combat could be, but the handful of tweaks and additions they made for CS seem like they will help a lot! I like that they just skip days, it feels like you're checking in on a TV show or something, with time passing in some fictional world without your control

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Really Pants posted:

Their combat links must still not be high enough. You'd have to reload, spend those tickets, and go through the final dungeon all over again.

Yeah, it's not a matter of missing bonding events, I saw all of them since I was playing on a NG+ carry-over save. I would need to spend 2 tickets onto Sara to reach 4400, and at least 1 more for Towa. Luckily I don't NEED to get those endings in preparation for CS 2 since I chose Alisa. I guess I'll just carry over link levels to my NG++ Nightmare save and see those events next time.

I've already realized there's a tremendous amount of foreshadowing layered into this game which is only noticeable on replays, just like with Sky FC.

Speaking of which, I heard that CS2 has some special scenes for those you have high bonding points with at certain points in the game, and NG+ quests. Without getting too much into spoilers, are those special scenes handled sort-of like how the dance options were handled (X number of points, person appears on a menu)?

It's hard to explain (and probably hard to answer too), but I want to know if the story would flow better if I just carry over my Level 70, All-S-Rank CS 1 save to a regular CS 2 game, or should I wait for someone to post a handy CS 2 Clear save so I can see all the things the first time?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Speaking of which, I heard that CS2 has some special scenes for those you have high bonding points with at certain points in the game, and NG+ quests. Without getting too much into spoilers, are those special scenes handled sort-of like how the dance options were handled (X number of points, person appears on a menu)?

I can only think of two things that fit:

Everyone who showed up on your dance card in CS1 will have an extra line when they're reintroduced in CS2, acting as though you'd picked them to dance with. The timelines are converging.

CS2's first act gives you three new party members. At the start of the second act, whichever one of them has the highest link above level 3 will have a brief scene and give you a unique accessory.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Of those three, the last character's accessory is an order of magnitude better than the others.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

In Training posted:

I really like CS so far. I also really liked Trails in the Sky for like 20 hours before getting kind of bored with it, largely because of how slow the combat could be, but the handful of tweaks and additions they made for CS seem like they will help a lot! I like that they just skip days, it feels like you're checking in on a TV show or something, with time passing in some fictional world without your control

Thats my biggest problem with CS. I personally wamt a remake eventually that fills them in with big group activities in the dorms like board games,dinner, taking care of drunk Sara, looking at Gaius art, listening to Elliots music, reading Emmas not yaoi, and befriending Klein and Vivi, theyre the best.

I only tested the first 2 chapters in Tokyo Xanadu, but it took this up to 11. It felt like it was just the next day despite being like a week later and it was really awkward.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I'd rather have less games with the worst parts of persona 3 and 4, cutting out all of the repetitive nothing was one of the best things CS could have done

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love bullshitting around fake worlds with no consequences or purpose. It's hard to make that enjoyable and games that do it well are some of my all time faves. I thought I was gonna be able to join a club and spend my weeks uhhh fencing or mashing buttons in a swimming minigame. But this game has a different focus so whatever, no big loss.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Not joining a club was the biggest :psyduck: in cold steel 1

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Should've just had him officially join the student council

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lets hang out posted:

I usually just hang out with Towa with free time tokens so I basically am.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I dunno, running around doing random acts of kindness for people while simultaneously not committing to anything is the most Rean thing imaginable!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lets hang out posted:

He basically is an unofficial member and I’m gonna be real surprised if CS3 doesn’t come out and say (minor spoilers to new players) he spent his second year at Thors as the president.

The Doomhammer posted:

I dunno, running around doing random acts of kindness for people while simultaneously not committing to anything is the most Rean thing imaginable!

lol

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Billzasilver posted:

Not joining a club was the biggest :psyduck: in cold steel 1

lets hang out posted:

That was probably the whole point, I think. Doomhammer nailed it with "running around doing random acts of kindness for people while simultaneously not committing to anything is the most Rean thing imaginable!". The whole point of Rean's character is that he struggles with a feeling of not truly belonging, both in his family life at home and his school life. (caused both by his status as an adoptee into a family of minor nobles and his "ogre" power...dude's not sure if he's even human) Sara, for all her antics, immediately senses this trait in him and calls him out on it before Chapter 1, telling him that if he's not gonna root himself in place, the first big gust that comes along is gonna blow him off his feet. Despite that advice being spot on, Rean doesn't really end up taking it to heart and still goes through the game being devoted yet not truly committed to neither his family nor the student council. This sets Rean apart from his classmates, all of whom join clubs and make friends outside Class VII. I'm pretty sure the contrast is completely intentional on Falcom's part.

Last Celebration posted:

He basically is an unofficial member and I’m gonna be real surprised if CS3 doesn’t come out and say (minor spoilers to new players) he spent his second year at Thors as the president.

I'd be really surprised if it did, not just because Rean's issue of not really rooting himself anywhere doesn't really feel resolved by the end of CS2, but also because he has stuff to tend to that I imagine has higher priority than doing paperwork for the student council all day long. He'd have made an unrealiable president.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Erpy posted:

Sara, for all her antics, immediately senses this trait in him and calls him out on it before Chapter 1, telling him that if he's not gonna root himself in place, the first big gust that comes along is gonna blow him off his feet.

Holy crap, that’s what the end of CS1 literally was

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
So sony announced that they've ported PhyreEngine to switch. (Was semi known once dragon quest builders got announced) So while it'd still require a few months of development all of the cold steel games could conceivably be ported over.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

lets hang out posted:

Should've just had him officially join the Imperial Fishing Club

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Okay, so I just got to the end credits in Tokyo Xanadu ex+...

That wasn't the true ending??? I thought that was pretty dang good tho?????

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

psychoJ posted:

Okay, so I just got to the end credits in Tokyo Xanadu ex+...

That wasn't the true ending??? I thought that was pretty dang good tho?????

The two endings that follow are lame in comparison.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The true ending is pretty bad. Still haven't done the after story...

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
For anyone who wants to get Ys 8 on PC, you can preorder it on GreenManGaming for 25% off with the coupon code BLUE25. The code apparently ends today.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 18, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Can I start with ys 8 without knowing any of the others?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. Adol is good with swords is probably all you need

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Also: Boats are bad news, walls are being busted.

That's about it

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Zaggitz posted:

The two endings that follow are lame in comparison.

aw drat. the tone that they hit was perfect too i thought. now i'm collecting these keys to revive shiori, which like hey, i'm down, but maaaaan that first ending was pitch perfect

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Hugo suuuucks, can I skip him and play the third guy?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BrightWing posted:

Hugo suuuucks, can I skip him and play the third guy?

are you playing on pc or vita/ps4

you can do that on pc but not on playstation i don't think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah DotEmu are incredible geniuses who produced a flawless port so they removed features from the available PC version and also made it run worse.