Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/bitcoins_future/status/953292387887001600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andy Dufresne posted:

Today I sold an S9 to a guy, and his story was a gut punch

This guy spent $4000 on a miner so he could send fun bucks to his family, what an rear end in a top hat

Uh, what. This sounds like a dude who is desperate to help his family trapped in a country with hyper inflation, failing economy, and riots over food. Venezuela is turbofucked.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If you could buy bitcoin with Bolivar I'd say it was a really good deal.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Barudak posted:

Uh, what. This sounds like a dude who is desperate to help his family trapped in a country with hyper inflation, failing economy, and riots over food. Venezuela is turbofucked.

It was a joke, but he had $4000 in real money to start with. Not sure what my mom would even do if I sent her bitcoin cash.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Barudak posted:

Yes what his family needs there is Bitcoins. The way they will cash out Bitcoins in a country with no functioning infrastructure, or financial sector and extremely high crime is

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 16, 2018

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

lol i went to look at coindesk's lovely market graph today and noticed the ads at the top:

bitcoin is already a total nightmare if you actually know things about : the internet, computers, money, the impossible depths of human insanity

i can't imagine being an old or illiterate person who is trying to "break into" any of this poo poo

edit: hahaha the first ad: "penny cryptos"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

lmao, man in country ravaged by undependable currency invests heavily in unregulated undependable currency

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
For anyone following along on the slow death of Celery, they have now missed their deadline to supply their account holders with the promised Bitcoin Cash before shutting down. I already turned the bitcoin I had on deposit into Cash Cash and BCH has tanked anyway, so big deal, but again this is a good lesson in the potential hazards of keeping a balance on an exchange. There has been no further motion from Celery since they opened back up for withdrawals, I doubt we'll ever see the BCH from the fork.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jikes posted:

For anyone following along on the slow death of Celery, they have now missed their deadline to supply their account holders with the promised Bitcoin Cash before shutting down. I already turned the bitcoin I had on deposit into Cash Cash and BCH has tanked anyway, so big deal, but again this is a good lesson in the potential hazards of keeping a balance on an exchange. There has been no further motion from Celery since they opened back up for withdrawals, I doubt we'll ever see the BCH from the fork.

boy i sure hope market forces never encourage non-believers to perform a huge market run

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Rad Russian posted:

Yes what his family needs there is Bitcoins. The way they will cash out Bitcoins in a country with no functioning infrastructure, or financial sector and extremely high crime is

Somehow always left unsaid

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I like when the numbers go down.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What if the bubble never really bursts but survives til the end of capitalism like this crazy speculation online game it became

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Andy Dufresne posted:

Today I sold an S9 to a guy, and his story was a gut punch

This guy spent $4000 on a miner so he could send fun bucks to his family, what an rear end in a top hat

You can’t send USD to Venezuela 🙄

They go to Colombia and trade it for “real money” there

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

What if the bubble never really bursts but survives til the end of capitalism like this crazy speculation online game it became

i think this is possible because im not sure the world has had a mostly-headless consensus driven global ponzi machine before. no really

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.
Do not try and bend the cryptocrash, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no crash. Then you will see it is not the cryptocrash that bends, it is only yourself.

Lol

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

bitcoin markets are basically the gom jabbar for reddit neo-techno-capitalists

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Clearly cryptocoins aren't crashing, every other currency is just gaining value compared to them, across the board.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Please... won't someone buy Bitcoin... Please.... not like this... not... like... this :negative:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol

That would make it 2x more than all the USD cash/coins in circulation just btw.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

COMRADES posted:

lol

That would make it 2x more than all the USD cash/coins in circulation just btw.

more proof crypto is not a bubble, it's the pin :smug:

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Konar posted:

whoa,man o_o

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/AntPoolBITMAIN/status/953273283524227072

Looks like more good things for Bitcoin!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I just popped over to CNBC because they have kind of been pimping Bitcoin lately to see what they had to say and they have published an article on why Bitcoin isn't worthless by an expert:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/16/skeptics-say-bitcoin-has-no-value-heres-why-theyre-wrong.html

CNBC posted:

Many believe the cryptocurrency's utility lies in its potential to be a more efficient commodity than we already have. Proponents of bitcoin like it for a number of reasons.

First, bitcoin is decentralized, meaning no government, bank or single person has control over it; it can't be toppled by corruption at the top. It's also trivially divisible, meaning you can buy a small item like a doughnut with it as easily as you can buy a house or even a mansion.

It's really remarkable how many Bitcoin "experts" there are that have no loving clue about Bitcoin. Yep, go ahead and buy that doughnut with Bitcoin, I want to see it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Don't worry, crypto has been saved by esports

https://www.bestmeta.gg/

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I feel the need to restate that this poo poo won't really crash until enough has been invested that the crash causes some serious economic crisis.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CNBC posted:

it can't be toppled by corruption at the top

crypto is unique in that the top, middle, and bottom are composed solely of corruption

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moon Atari posted:

I feel the need to restate that this poo poo won't really crash until enough has been invested that the crash causes some serious economic crisis.

Like what?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Three Olives posted:

I just popped over to CNBC because they have kind of been pimping Bitcoin lately to see what they had to say and they have published an article on why Bitcoin isn't worthless by an expert:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/16/skeptics-say-bitcoin-has-no-value-heres-why-theyre-wrong.html

It's really remarkable how many Bitcoin "experts" there are that have no loving clue about Bitcoin. Yep, go ahead and buy that doughnut with Bitcoin, I want to see it.

If only we could turn a dollar into pennies...

Can someone please explain tether to me, I can never seem to find a proper explanation. Everything I know about it says it overly complicated.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Three Olives posted:

Wow I've been looking for a currency that can be used to buy both doughnuts and mansions, where do I sign?

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Just posting in solidarity. If you don't hodl now you don't deserve the coming gains

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

related: https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/15/researchers-finds-that-one-person-likely-drove-bitcoin-from-150-to-1000/

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

Can someone please explain tether to me, I can never seem to find a proper explanation. Everything I know about it says it overly complicated.

Tether is an IOU for U.S. currency with fine print on the bottom saying it cannot ever be redeemed for actual currency.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Darth TNT posted:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Also we "lost" half your bitcoins in a "hack" but we've replaced them with tether so it's all cool right?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Think of events like the GFC, dotcom bust, or even the implosion of individual entities like enron or madoff. These events had very bad effects that hit enough of the economy that it was felt far off, by people who didn't even participate in the bubble.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

If only we could turn a dollar into pennies...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-05/mystery-shrouds-tether-and-its-links-to-biggest-bitcoin-exchange

Except $814 million is now about $1.5 billion

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Konar posted:

drat. Really makes you think

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Dropping again, hopefully this one drops below 10k :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moon Atari posted:

Think of events like the GFC, dotcom bust, or even the implosion of individual entities like enron or madoff. These events had very bad effects that hit enough of the economy that it was felt far off, by people who didn't even participate in the bubble.

eh, honestly i'm more worried about the Dow crash coming.