Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

1redflag posted:

It's probably a bad idea to have your infant lifting weights.

Oh come on, a baby can lift one pound. And they're all rubbery so they don't even have to worry about maintaining good form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ReidRansom posted:

I need a decent winter coat suitable for northern Germany, where I will be spending all of February, and offshore Antarctica, where I will be spending next May and June, and don't want to pay Arc'teryx/Canada Goose/Moncler type prices. How is Jack Wolfskin? I know it's fairly popular outside North America, but is their stuff any good?

If you want a proper Antarctic Parka, especially for being on a ship, look at Wiggy's offerings:

https://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/antarctic-parka/

I actually just bought this one, which is a little cheaper and rated for comfort at -20:

https://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/urban-ducksback-antarctic-parka/

Thing is, on a ship, you probably won't be moving around as much to generate warmth. Also, if you're on the ocean, expect to get wet, so you'd better avoid down.

Everything Wiggy's does is made in Colorado, and has all thi great little attention to detail that other coats don't do, like #10 ykk zippers, which are the largest they make so it's really easy to work and doesn't snag, especially in the cold, and full length draft tubes to block air from coming in the openings, and the lamilite is one continuous sheet of fabric, so there are no baffles or cold spots or issues with insulation breaking down or shifting around.

Where you're going, I wouldn't gently caress around with fashion weight jackets like Canada Goose or Arc'teryx, I'd get the stuff built for the oil rig workers and people who actually spend time up there. They even have flame retardant nomex parkas, with reflective strips, which is something you'll probably want to have on a ship. You can just request to add that, and they'll do it for just the cost of material.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

H110Hawk posted:

If doing this, make sure all of the lighting in a given visual area is on the same circuit. If you wind up with them on different ones they could be on a different phase which will wind up with them seemingly strobing/pulsing. (You're basically building a little diode rectifier where you only get the + side of the wave.) I personally find those bulbs to be obnoxious as you still can wind up with a little bit of 60Hz hum even without a off-phase light to make it apparent. Putting in a DC rectifier in place of your ballast solves that.

Huh...well, I know all my basement lights are on the same circuit, so even if half of them are those LED only fixtures and half are LED bulbs in old florescent fixtures, it should be ok, but maybe I'll just remove the other florescent fixture, too, and just use all 6 of the LED ones in the basement. That will also make sure all the lighting is the same lumens and color temp.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...well, I know all my basement lights are on the same circuit, so even if half of them are those LED only fixtures and half are LED bulbs in old florescent fixtures, it should be ok, but maybe I'll just remove the other florescent fixture, too, and just use all 6 of the LED ones in the basement. That will also make sure all the lighting is the same lumens and color temp.

In a given room it's nearly guaranteed they're on the same circuit, especially if you have a single light switch that controls them all. It's really only if you're going room-to-room or have a different switch in half of a larger room.

You can see the effect if you interleave two strands of cheap LED christmas lights.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you want a proper Antarctic Parka, especially for being on a ship, look at Wiggy's offerings:

I actually just bought this one, which is a little cheaper and rated for comfort at -20:

Thing is, on a ship, you probably won't be moving around as much to generate warmth. Also, if you're on the ocean, expect to get wet, so you'd better avoid down.

Everything Wiggy's does is made in Colorado, and has all thi great little attention to detail that other coats don't do, like #10 ykk zippers, which are the largest they make so it's really easy to work and doesn't snag, especially in the cold, and full length draft tubes to block air from coming in the openings, and the lamilite is one continuous sheet of fabric, so there are no baffles or cold spots or issues with insulation breaking down or shifting around.

Where you're going, I wouldn't gently caress around with fashion weight jackets like Canada Goose or Arc'teryx, I'd get the stuff built for the oil rig workers and people who actually spend time up there. They even have flame retardant nomex parkas, with reflective strips, which is something you'll probably want to have on a ship. You can just request to add that, and they'll do it for just the cost of material.

I'll throw that Wiggy's into the consideration pile, though it may be excessive for my needs. We have gear on the ship issued to us for when we're going to be working outside (which might actually be Canada Goose lol, we're an NSF program like USAP and work in the far north and far south), but I'm just kind of looking for something to keep me warm-ish walking about in places colder than Texas before I board.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

6 small, integrated LED shop lights:

link, please?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

yellowD posted:

link, please?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HBT3BVM

The only problem is that the connector pieces to connect multiple lights to each other are only ~8", so if you know that you want several in one area, but not real close to each other, they are all going to need their own power outlet or they probably sell longer connector cords.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

The only problem is that the connector pieces to connect multiple lights to each other are only ~8", so if you know that you want several in one area, but not real close to each other, they are all going to need their own power outlet or they probably sell longer connector cords.

Thanks!

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

It'd probably be pretty easy to find or make longer cords.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A new lens, Minolta 24mm AF:

and a gift from a friend on the same day, a new camera bag:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Megabound posted:

Very nice pimp rear end poo poo!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1redflag posted:

Babby strong.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

1redflag posted:

How am I supposed to get them strong enough to help me on the farm then?

You liberals and your soft ways

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Grappling spats for Jiu-Jitsu

Bought a Jiu-Jitsu themed shirt from a goon in the grappling thread.

New shoes

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

ReidRansom posted:

I need a decent winter coat suitable for northern Germany, where I will be spending all of February, and offshore Antarctica, where I will be spending next May and June, and don't want to pay Arc'teryx/Canada Goose/Moncler type prices. How is Jack Wolfskin? I know it's fairly popular outside North America, but is their stuff any good?

Everyone in China wears this stuff, to the extent that I wondered whether it's a Chinese brand (it's not.)

I don't care about beer distributors buying good breweries because it means that anywhere you can get beer you can get GOOD beer and anyone that has GREAT beer doesn't care anyway.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

that is a german company. they have poor US distribution but are popular in europe. in my experience they make high quality gear (as good as the others you mention), but they are priced accordingly, at least in the US.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Lamilite is just Polarguard. I don't see how it can possibly compare to down for insulation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Megabound posted:

For Pete's sake do not stuff all the light into that lovely lens, leave some for the rest of us.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Lamilite is just Polarguard. I don't see how it can possibly compare to down for insulation.

just don't get that down wet...

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Sonys most advanced and expensive Walkman

I also got almost 30 unused Sony Type IV tapes with it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

I'll throw that Wiggy's into the consideration pile, though it may be excessive for my needs. We have gear on the ship issued to us for when we're going to be working outside (which might actually be Canada Goose lol, we're an NSF program like USAP and work in the far north and far south), but I'm just kind of looking for something to keep me warm-ish walking about in places colder than Texas before I board.
Canada Goose jackets are legit warm though. Just because they’ve become popular as a fashion brand doesn’t mean they’re no longer effective.

That said, for around town, any decent down parka will do. Eddie Bauer and LL Bean both make affordable options and this one is currently on sale: http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-superior-down-parka/10112068 I’ve never owned any Eddie Bauer stuff (my down parka is Mountain Hardwear) but people generally have good things to say about their lifetime warranty, which isn’t always the case (see: The North Face).

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Jan 17, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Josh Lyman posted:

That's not actually true. Lamilite is a form of Climashield, which is a continuous filament fiber, instead of the stiff long staple fibers in Polarguard, which don't drape very well and tend to break down over time. Climashield is also a tighter and denser weave than Polarguard, so it does a better job capturing and retaining body heat, especially infrared. The fibers are also silicone coated, which gives them antistatic properties, so the fibers continuously repel each other which means it regains loft and doesn't break down in the same way over time as other types of synthetic insulation. It also prevents the insulation from accumulating moisture and ice.

Down certainly has the advantage where it's lighter and more compressible. However, down collapses when it gets wet (such as perspiration), and it breaks down over time and loses its loft (especially if it's compressed). That being said, I use and love my down quilts for backpacking into the shoulder seasons, where weight and packed size compressibility matter to me more. But having tried both, the lamilite stuff is far superior for high activity clothing and winter backpacking. Heck, even the North Face Thermoball synthetic stuff makes a great mid layer jacket that's similar to down in terms of weight and compressibility, but works great in the rain.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's not actually true. Lamilite is a form of Climashield, which is a continuous filament fiber, instead of the stiff long staple fibers in Polarguard, which don't drape very well and tend to break down over time. Climashield is also a tighter and denser weave than Polarguard, so it does a better job capturing and retaining body heat, especially infrared. The fibers are also silicone coated, which gives them antistatic properties, so the fibers continuously repel each other which means it regains loft and doesn't break down in the same way over time as other types of synthetic insulation. It also prevents the insulation from accumulating moisture and ice.
Apparently Lamilite used to use Polarguard and switched to Climashield a while back, and Climashield is better than Polarguard.

Retaining its loft will be mechanically different than with down. I can imagine silicone coating helping with water a bit but it’s not a cure-all. With synthetic insulation, the fibers themselves don’t absorb water but the structure of the material does.

quote:

Down certainly has the advantage where it's lighter and more compressible. However, down collapses when it gets wet (such as perspiration), and it breaks down over time and loses its loft (especially if it's compressed). That being said, I use and love my down quilts for backpacking into the shoulder seasons, where weight and packed size compressibility matter to me more. But having tried both, the lamilite stuff is far superior for high activity clothing and winter backpacking. Heck, even the North Face Thermoball synthetic stuff makes a great mid layer jacket that's similar to down in terms of weight and compressibility, but works great in the rain.
It’s synthetic that breaks down over time and loses its loft. Untreated down loses loft when wet of course, but it’s mainly dirt and oil that affects its loft over time, but of course you can just wash your down apparel.

Lamilite working better for high output activities I can totally see, but if you’re just sitting/standing around, it’s not going to be as warm as down. Climashield and Primaloft have similar CLO ratings but down blows them out of the water.

As for Thermoball, it’s just a rebranding exercise. It’s the same loose synthetic we’ve had for years which means it absolutely collapses in water. If you’ve had a Thermoball jacket perform well in the rain, that’s the DWR working and has nothing to do with the insulation itself.

Treated down is a whole different animal and generally better than any other option.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Jan 17, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ArmZ posted:

just don't get that down wet...

Yea, like other then the weight savings, down is the worst thing ever, give me some nice warm plastics.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
North Face Thermoball is the best. Warmth and weight of down, but doesn't go to poo poo if it gets wet. Love mine. My sleeping bag is also a treated down material that can handle moisture, but the company that made it doesn't exist now.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
While Canada goose are warm, if you're gonna get one for something else than the fashion brand name, please for the love of god get something from a smaller brand like Quartz Co. Higher quality, still made in Canada and they will be better against water. All for the same price or cheaper than Canada Goose. Styles/cut are at least as good

I got the chance to use both brands extensively and wouldn't exchange my Quartz Co for a Canada Goose in a million year

Down Parkas are the best. Being able to stand still in -30 C weather in nothing but a parka and a T-Shirt (and good boots) is the best feeling in the winter ever. If I'm gonna stand still for hours I wear one of the thermoball north face things under. Haven't even felt slightly cold for the past 2 years.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Jan 18, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How about Summit Ice jackets? Six million jews died.

http://www.summiticeapparel.com/

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Lmao

Mu Zeta posted:

How about Summit Ice jackets? Six million jews died.

http://www.summiticeapparel.com/

SHOP JACKETS

SHOP APPAREL

HOLOCAUST FACTS

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
huh, that's...jarring to say the least

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...the gently caress? lmao

e: Oh god, I should've remembered that was a Nathan for You thing. I've seen the whole series.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently Lamilite used to use Polarguard and switched to Climashield a while back, and Climashield is better than Polarguard.

Retaining its loft will be mechanically different than with down. I can imagine silicone coating helping with water a bit but it’s not a cure-all. With synthetic insulation, the fibers themselves don’t absorb water but the structure of the material does.

It’s synthetic that breaks down over time and loses its loft. Untreated down loses loft when wet of course, but it’s mainly dirt and oil that affects its loft over time, but of course you can just wash your down apparel.

Lamilite working better for high output activities I can totally see, but if you’re just sitting/standing around, it’s not going to be as warm as down. Climashield and Primaloft have similar CLO ratings but down blows them out of the water.

As for Thermoball, it’s just a rebranding exercise. It’s the same loose synthetic we’ve had for years which means it absolutely collapses in water. If you’ve had a Thermoball jacket perform well in the rain, that’s the DWR working and has nothing to do with the insulation itself.

Treated down is a whole different animal and generally better than any other option.

You're absolutely right, synthetic does break down too, a lot of it faster than down--I should've mentioned that. The difference with laminate is that it doesn't break down in any appreciable time frame because the fibers repel each other. That's why you can store it compressed, even though that's usually the main thing that destroys both synthetic and down.

Slightly related, I did want to mention DWR down treatment real quick. From what I understand (according to someone who knows a lot more about this than I do), down is naturally hydrophobic to some extent due to the natural oils in the feathers. However, to apply DWR water repellent that you see advertised in some newer downs, the down has to be cleaned and stripped of the oils for the DWR to stick. So, essentially, it's functionally no better than if they'd just used the natural down in the first place.

Also, regarding thermoball... I wore my thermoball jacket backpacking Dolly Sods in 30°- 40° all day rain, and the jacket performed great for me. I don't know the specifics of thermoball, but it sure feels like and performs like down, but I don't think it can be piled as deeply as down. My guess is that it probably has to be so tightly quilted to prevent separation. I'm surprised as anyone that North Face actually offers a decent and seemingly innovative product, but that's just my perspective. It's definitely not just loose fill synthetic, I can tell you that much. Otherwise your guess is as good as mine.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

evobatman posted:

Sonys most advanced and expensive Walkman

I also got almost 30 unused Sony Type IV tapes with it.

drat! You've seemingly bought the best of everything. I'm jealous. Personally, I am seeking a good turntable where you can stack like a dozen LP's so you get hours of continuous play automatically. My family had one back in the early 80's.

I got more GPK

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

My first home.

:kimchi:

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Stuff for my dumb feet

https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Rant-Shoe-Black/dp/B01940PH8Q/

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65637?page=mens-wicked-good-moccasins

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Digital Jedi posted:

Bought a Jiu-Jitsu themed shirt from a goon in the grappling thread.

I might need this in my life. Link to the thread/shop?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

55" e7p. this thing is gorgeous. 😍

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

New blender because I broke the jar of my old one. This can do smoothies in an included 20-oz cup. Kinda interested to try out the infuser attachment too.

Took advantage of Apple replacing batteries for $30. Went into a store, pulled my iPhone 6 out of its case, and discovered the screen was starting to separate from the case because my battery began to swell. :aaa: So... Hooray new phone!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Aramek posted:

My first home.

:kimchi:

We will see you in the DIY forum soon :devil:

congrats 4 realz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR