Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What, 12 years ago? I don't remember ever seeing somebody in this forum saying virtualization isnt worth anything. I DO remember people telling you that virtualization won't kill off the sysadmin position in many organizations. Which is still true.

And trying to paint that argument in your out-of-your-mind light is why you're a bad poster friend.

I think he’s saying that the current “cloud is bad” argument is the same as the “virtualization is bad” argument made by the same kind of people.

And I think he’s nt talking about the forums with regards to virtualization. Just comparing the folks who said clouds are bad to those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Is there really no way to automatically add "busy" or "out of office" calendar dates to everyone's calendar in Exchange?

I found a script, and a way to add custom holidays, but the script means each new user needs it run, and they holiday thing doesn't set them as out of office.

I haven't even found a third party solution, but it's clearly a common request.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is there really no way to automatically add "busy" or "out of office" calendar dates to everyone's calendar in Exchange?

I found a script, and a way to add custom holidays, but the script means each new user needs it run, and they holiday thing doesn't set them as out of office.

I haven't even found a third party solution, but it's clearly a common request.

You mean so it sends out-of-office automatic replies?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kashuno posted:

All computer related anything is bad, including every poster here and the forums themselves.

The internet was a mistake

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

nielsm posted:

You mean so it sends out-of-office automatic replies?

No, just so it shows the day blocked out. We have a problem with people setting up meetings on holidays, HR asked to add all holidays to everyone's personal calendar.

I originally was hoping to use public folders, but that doesn't show on meeting invites, either.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I think he’s saying that the current “cloud is bad” argument is the same as the “virtualization is bad” argument made by the same kind of people.

And I think he’s nt talking about the forums with regards to virtualization. Just comparing the folks who said clouds are bad to those guys.

Literally no one has said "cloud is bad". He's just an annoying stupid poster, just like any diehard evangelist for any product (see: bitcoins, discord, etc).

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Re: Discord. What? It's a chat room. Why does every loving twitch streamer have one? YOU HAVE TWITCH.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i loving love discord, it's a bad javascript irc client with a bad built in mumble client that randomly stops working for people. what's not to love!!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Truga posted:

i loving love discord, it's a bad javascript irc client with a bad built in mumble client that randomly stops working for people. what's not to love!!!

If its bad, what is good?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

Literally no one has said "cloud is bad". He's just an annoying stupid poster, just like any diehard evangelist for any product (see: bitcoins, discord, etc).

I know, the guys is a bit over zealous but iirc the argument was about sysadmin jobs dissapearing because companies will move to the cloud.

Punkbob said it’ll happen really fast, others said it may take a whileor not completely. 10-15 years back the same thing could be said about virtualization.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I know, the guys is a bit over zealous but iirc the argument was about sysadmin jobs dissapearing because companies will move to the cloud.

Punkbob said it’ll happen really fast, others said it may take a whileor not completely. 10-15 years back the same thing could be said about virtualization.

Yeah, like the virtualization argument, that won't happen, and is an incredibly stupid thing to say.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I feel when I am 60 people like you are going to still be calling for the end of the sysadmin.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
One can always hope that by 60 I am no longer a sysadmin and am instead spending all my days yelling at clouds.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

I feel when I am 60 people like you are going to still be calling for the end of the sysadmin.

It will just be an easy button placed on a messy unkempt desk next to the MDF

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I never meant to imply that sysadmins or janitoring computers will disappear, my argument was that it is changing and that networking certs are dead end just like exchange admins.

Edit: unless you are shooting for high level poo poo

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The only solution is never to get certified. That way you never go obsolete!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Punkbob posted:

I never meant to imply that sysadmins or janitoring computers will disappear, my argument was that it is changing and that networking certs are dead end just like exchange admins.

you are a loving idiot please stop with this bullshit you are not smarter than the entirety of this thread and we've all been over this jesus loving christ my dude

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Punkbob posted:

Considering that you still need a lot of powershell knowledge to administer office 365 efficiently in a large company I don't even think that is dead.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Punkbob posted:

Obviously you're right, the cloud doesn't use networks. It's all clouds.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No guys, you don't understand, software defined networking is replacing network engineers.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think his justification was that at the cloud level you push configs with python scripts and devops practices, and you never actually touch devices.

And at the local business level networking is all magic and you plug everything into dumb hubs or something? Or each device has individual connections to the cloud and internal networking evaporates into cloud magic or something.

And boy howdy I've never ever seen a cisco or juniper switch in real life, no-sir, they basically don't exist anymore!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
what is dead may never die

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

If its bad, what is good?

everything is poo poo. i haven't had issue with mumble since the later 0.x versions though, so while it's not as pretty as discord, it works.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Vargatron posted:

The only solution is never to get certified. That way you never go obsolete!

:geno::hf::geno:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CLAM DOWN posted:

The things you need to know about networking to use a VPC in Amazon (or whatever) aren't really the same as the things you need to know to get a Cisco cert, beyond maybe the ICND1. Obviously there's still campus networking and WAN, but SDN and SDWAN and cloud/SaaS are probably going to lessen the need for dedicated network admins overall.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

funmanguy posted:

what is dead may never die

And with stranger aeons, that doesn’t concern you.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The things you need to know about networking to use a VPC in Amazon (or whatever) aren't really the same as the things you need to know to get a Cisco cert, beyond maybe the ICND1. Obviously there's still campus networking and WAN, but SDN and SDWAN and cloud/SaaS are probably going to lessen the need for dedicated network admins overall.

Endpoints still plug into a network device. The network device still needs to interface with a WAN provider. The WAN needs to be configured to route to the VPC.

Because there are endpoints, there still needs to be network security and defense in depth. There needs to be a firewall onsite to protect the WAN entrance. There need to be VLANs and QoS to protect and manage traffic. Some people have desk phones and others browse facebook, and all of them click on lovely links in their email.

The network admin isn't going anywhere because outside of the cloud, everything still needs to have a protected connection so they can access the cloud.

e; and the datacenter network admins wouldn't touch the Amazon interface for networking anyway. They're still working on network deployments inside the cloud to get that poo poo working 110%. Those jobs haven't disappeared.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

One can always hope that by 60 I am no longer a sysadmin and am instead spending all my days yelling at clouds.

Isn't that what sysadmins now do, yell at The Cloud? (pity I don't have the "my butt" substitution for "the cloud" installed here at work.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I mostly yell at the butts in management.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Endpoints still plug into a network device. The network device still needs to interface with a WAN provider. The WAN needs to be configured to route to the VPC.

Because there are endpoints, there still needs to be network security and defense in depth. There needs to be a firewall onsite to protect the WAN entrance. There need to be VLANs and QoS to protect and manage traffic. Some people have desk phones and others browse facebook, and all of them click on lovely links in their email.

The network admin isn't going anywhere because outside of the cloud, everything still needs to have a protected connection so they can access the cloud.

Security and Networking are distinct practices. There is some overlap in the skillset, but endpoint security and managing firewalls is often a different team and the focus for security is migrating from the edge to the devices and east-west traffic which is often not visible to the networking team at all (unless you're doing SDN!).

The argument that Cisco and Juniper switches will still exist is spurious. Dell and HP servers still exist but if you tried to sell yourself as an EXPERT on Dell servers nobody is going to hire you outside of Dell. Server hardware has been commoditized by smart software. Network hardware will move in the same direction.

If you look at something like CloudGenix, I don't need a network admin to handle traffic policy for WAN links or redirecting certain things over the VPN or any of that because the tool does it for me based on easy to understand policy definitions. I don't need to know a bunch about Cisco hardware and BGP and all that, I just need to have a basic peering relationship with my ISPs and then I configure human readable policies about what goes where and falls back to where and so on.

In the datacenter SDN means that your physical network becomes mostly static. You configure a very generic underlay (meaning you don't need to use many of the advanced switching/routing features of the specific vendor platform) and then most of the day to day change happens on the overlay either programatically or through a GUI that doesn't require specialized knowledge to use. Consultants and systems integrators will get a lot of the work deploying the underlay and overlay, but many customers won't want to pay to keep someone around who deeply understands all of those facets.

The breakdown for our NSX classes is usually about 80% sysadmins/20% network admins. It's going to lead to consolidation of those roles. In general this stuff is converging on the "full stack engineer" role where you probably don't get to be super specialized and maintain your value.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Most of the jobs I'm applying for, all in the six figure range, are for more converged network / system roles. I'm not denying that is the case for sure.

But most of those job listings are still asking for either CCNA or Microsoft certs. They want to be sure their admins / engineers can understand networking, regardless of them actually configuring network devices.

Any role will likely pay more for having the certifications, just as they would pay more for having a degree. The certifications are certainly not obsolete.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Most of the jobs I'm applying for, all in the six figure range, are for more converged network / system roles. I'm not denying that is the case for sure.

But most of those job listings are still asking for either CCNA or Microsoft certs. They want to be sure their admins / engineers can understand networking, regardless of them actually configuring network devices.

Any role will likely pay more for having the certifications, just as they would pay more for having a degree. The certifications are certainly not obsolete.

I have a shitload of certs because I work at a VAR and they give me a lot of leverage, so I certainly don't think they're obsolete. I just don't think having a CCNP is all that useful if you're working with public cloud (in response to the "hurr durr no networks in the cloud" thing) and if you're just now getting started in IT there are probably better things to focus on than getting really really deep on a specific network vendor's technology, unless you want to work for them or a systems integrator.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

have ya'll had the spicy buffalo sauce with your chicken mcnuggets? it's loving legit sauce.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

jaegerx posted:

have ya'll had the spicy buffalo sauce with your chicken mcnuggets? it's loving legit sauce.

I ate some bad chicken McNuggets when I was like 8 and have literally never had them again. They disgust me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

Honey Mustard or give me death.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

chicken nuggets get bbq sauce, the hell is wrong with you philistines?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Now that I thibk about it. The last time I ate McDonald's was 4 years ago.

The correct answer is sweet and sour. And take a lot of extra packets home with you.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Sweet and Sour exists and you goobers are fighting about BBQ vs. Honey Mustard? The internet was a mistake.

Methanar posted:

Now that I thibk about it. The last time I ate McDonald's was 4 years ago.

The correct answer is sweet and sour. And take a lot of extra packets home with you.

:hfive:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Tab8715 posted:

Honey Mustard or give me death.

Not empty quoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I have a shitload of certs because I work at a VAR and they give me a lot of leverage, so I certainly don't think they're obsolete. I just don't think having a CCNP is all that useful if you're working with public cloud (in response to the "hurr durr no networks in the cloud" thing) and if you're just now getting started in IT there are probably better things to focus on than getting really really deep on a specific network vendor's technology, unless you want to work for them or a systems integrator.

When I see a CCNP I assume it means more "this person knows route/switch enough to hopefully not be a network idiot". The Cisco specific part isn't terribly important vs "This person knows what a Bee Gee Pee is". If they are moderately useful they should be able to muddle through syntax on whatever random piece of poo poo vendor's switch they have to work on.

For the network vs network security team thing, unless you are in a large organization or heavily involved in things where there are more stringent regulatory requirements or w/e they are the same persons.