Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

It's like minecraft expect it actually has proper goals and non-freeform stuff to do

It's the Crafting portion of Minecraft especially. The combat is bad and the exploration bit seems very very mild. But if you like resource collecting and building I can see it being a dream come true. I'll be able to live without.

Phantasium posted:

Hope you guys weren't expecting that Link Between Worlds rumor a while back to be a Switch port seeing as the person that thought it was just joining the selects line totally called it.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/953296479740923909

This is all very cool. I though LBW was a select already, unless I'm not confusing it with another Zelda. I'm liable to get all 3 of these. Definitely getting Mario (I've been putting it off for ages) and the NES Remix. I love my 3DS for little arcade-y games like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Actually nothing on XBL, it's Sony that revokes access when you don't pay.

Oh dang I thought that was both.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phantasium posted:

Actually nothing on XBL, it's Sony that revokes access when you don't pay.

You could keep them forever on the 360, but on Xbone you have to have an active Gold sub to play them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I though LBW was a select already, unless I'm not confusing it with another Zelda.
OOT was the only 3DS Zelda Selects title in North America. LBW has been a Selects title in Europe for two years but not in North America. It's annoying too because LBW has been out of print and more difficult to find. In contrast Super Mario 3D Land has been in print since release and has been sold at a reduced $24.99 price for a while.

But this is not the 3DS thread.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Nintendo's online service would have to be extremely bad to not be worth $20/year. That's absolute loving peanuts.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Noctone posted:

Nintendo's online service would have to be extremely bad to not be worth $20/year. That's absolute loving peanuts.

Let's not put it past them just yet

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Noctone posted:

I live in Canada, who knows how much they'll jack up the price here.

And it's not just a matter of measuring the price on its own merits, but whether it can be one MORE thing that I pay for.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 16, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Paying to be able to play online in general is just such a bad deal to me since I can play online all I want on Steam for free

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Andrast posted:

Paying to be able to play online in general is just such a bad deal to me since I can play online all I want on Steam for free

Yeah but then you’re not playing on the Nintendo Switch, God’s perfect console.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Weedle posted:

Yeah but then you’re not playing on the Nintendo Switch, God’s perfect console.

Until Rainway! :haw:

NOT

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

thexerox123 posted:

I live in Canada, who knows how much they'll jack up the price here.

And it's not just a matter of measuring the price on its own merits, but whether it can be one MORE thing that I pay for.

Sorry you live in a third world country :(

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Noctone posted:

Sorry you live in a third world country :(

Eh, it's a fair trade for health care.

Edit: I should have called it free health care to start the same argument all over again

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 16, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Noctone posted:

It's Nintendo. Their history with online has never been good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's Nintendo. Their history with online has never been good.

I mean, its still better than Sony's and people shell out for PS+ still.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I never play online multiplayer but I’ll pay $20/year just for the classic game library if that’s going to be the closest thing to Virtual Console on the Switch.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm beginning to half suspect (hope) that the delay and silence is part of a "Hey, the Switch has been very successful and we believe that the free online service has been partly responsible for that, so we would like to announce that online multiplayer will remain free but a premium service featuring cloud saves, a rotating game selection, and exclusive discounts will be available" change of heart.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the delay is them bringing back miiverse

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the delay is them bringing back miiverse

I'd pay for miiverse

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
So im picking up a switch today with a Mario/Rabbids bundle. I'll pick up Mario as well, already played BOTW on the WiiU (but will double dip later). My question is - how's Oceanhorn 2?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's my question, and maybe it's better suited to the Ask a Game Dev thread: what's the justification for requiring people to pay a regular fee to play console games online, when that's not necessary on PC? What's (supposedly) different about console online play compared to PC online play?

I should note I'm not saying that I assume there's a good justification, just that I don't think I've ever seen someone try to explain why it's a good thing, and that's weird--I'm used to companies spinning a line about how their anti-consumer actions are actually pro-consumer if you look at it from the "right" perspective.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Szmitten posted:

I'm beginning to half suspect (hope) that the delay and silence is part of a "Hey, the Switch has been very successful and we believe that the free online service has been partly responsible for that, so we would like to announce that online multiplayer will remain free but a premium service featuring cloud saves, a rotating game selection, and exclusive discounts will be available" change of heart.

This is Nintendo we're talking about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

Have there been any statements about the future of the DS line? I wonder if Nintendo's plan is to make the Switch the all-in-one for Nintendo things in the near future or if there'll be a new thing in the DS form factor eventually.

I could definitely see the Switch becoming the one and only Nintendo console, though. All it'd take is a new model with improved battery life and maybe a cheaper version that doesn't come with a dock for people who only care about playing handheld, and there you go.

The DS lines future is that it will end in the year 2-3 years, with any major releases for it being this year and maybe early next year at best.

track day bro! posted:

I'm wondering if the joycons are even any good with fighting games anyway. I'm wondering if I should buy Xenoverse 2 again as it seems like it might be fun on the switch.

IIRC you can use the Spirit Bomb in Xenoverse 2 by doing the hands up movement with the joycons.

ALFbrot posted:

Please, I'm shitposting in a nintendo thread to take my mind off of the ills of the universe, let me have this

If you're a Pirates fan then you should know by now that that road leads to nothing but sorrow.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Here's my question, and maybe it's better suited to the Ask a Game Dev thread: what's the justification for requiring people to pay a regular fee to play console games online, when that's not necessary on PC? What's (supposedly) different about console online play compared to PC online play?

Microsoft got away with it during the 360 era so now everyone else has hopped on the bandwagon.

There is no deeper justification, they know they can charge for it and people will pay.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Having a paid online service is different for Nintendo than other platforms too because their big system sellers (at least right now) don't have a major online focus. Halo, Gears of War, Madden, 2k, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Overwatch, basically almost all the big normie console games on other platforms have heavily integrated online MP. Nintendo's got, what, Splatoon and Mario Kart right now? An upcoming scavenger hunt mode in Odyssey? Not to say that those games (and the inevitable Smash for Switch) aren't killer apps, but I'm willing to bet that if a lot of your average people with XB1s or PS4s didn't pay for online play they'd be mostly locked out of playing like half the games they own. Meanwhile if I subbed to Nintendo's online service I'd basically be doing it in order to play Splatoon and nothing else right now. I'm guessing we get an announcement of at least one more game with a big online MP focus (Smash DX? Something new?) to sweeten the value proposition of paying for online MP before the paid service launches

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

Yeah I got mgs5 years after I had already played it. That sure was great.

Rocket league is like the only good thing I got from it

I had PS+ for a couple of months but since the only games I play online are Splatoon and Mario Kart and I didn't enjoy any of the free games I canceled.
The only real exception was Stick it to the Man and I now have that on Switch. Such a great adventure game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They also are definitely going to have a classic games library you have access to ala Netflix, and probably other features. Maybe cloud saves or something

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They also are definitely going to have a classic games library you have access to ala Netflix, and probably other features. Maybe cloud saves or something

I still have my copy of GC Animal Crossing, I'm good for NES games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'll probably subcribe to the classic game library, proceed to not play any of them and then forget to unsubscribe for a few months until I finally remember to do it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Cloud saves seems like a given. Doesn’t Nintendo have some internal online system for those already? I thought I saw something about Nintendo support restoring people’s saves.

The classic games will also supposedly add online multiplayer for some of them so that alone would be worth the $20 a year for me.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Harrow posted:

Servers, rack space, Internet etc. costs money. Why shouldn't they charge a fee? Turn the question on its head and ask yourself the real question here: why is PC online multiplayer free? Who's paying for that? That's the weird thing.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

Microsoft got away with it during the 360 era so now everyone else has hopped on the bandwagon.

There is no deeper justification, they know they can charge for it and people will pay.

Important to note that they tried to charge for the same service on PC and it completely flopped. Consumers spoke with their wallet and here we are.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Servers, rack space, Internet etc. costs money. Why shouldn't they charge a fee? Turn the question on its head and ask yourself the real question here: why is PC online multiplayer free? Who's paying for that? That's the weird thing.

Are Sony and microsoft paying the server costs for multiplayer games?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 16, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There are plenty that do... I mean, MMOs... WoW isn't free to play.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Servers, rack space, Internet etc. costs money. Why shouldn't they charge a fee? Turn the question on its head and ask yourself the real question here: why is PC online multiplayer free? That's the weird thing.

It’s free on PC because back in the olden days publishers didn’t operate servers. You or your buddy hosted the server on your home PC and everybody connected to that. If PC gamers suddenly had to have a paid Steam subscription or whatever for multiplayer after decades of it being free, Gaben’s house would be firebombed.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
You had paid subscription services like Heat and The Zone and early MMOGs but they all lost out to the free (ad supported) services like Battle.net and GameSpy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Weedle posted:

It’s free on PC because back in the olden days publishers didn’t operate servers. You or your buddy hosted the server on your home PC and everybody connected to that. If PC gamers suddenly had to have a paid Steam subscription or whatever for multiplayer after decades of it being free, Gaben’s house would be firebombed.

Bingo. But the world has changed, and now people expect matchmaking and stable official servers and anti-cheating measures and lord knows what. And big companies like Valve and EA and Blizzard are happy to provide that because they are in it for the long haul and know that it will bring them profits in the end. None of this applies to consoles. You're not going to have community Splatoon 2 servers even if Nintendo would allow it. There is only one company that can provide this infrastructure and they can't see it financially working out without a subscription.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Skeematic posted:

So im picking up a switch today with a Mario/Rabbids bundle. I'll pick up Mario as well, already played BOTW on the WiiU (but will double dip later). My question is - how's Oceanhorn 2?

I don't think this is out, but there's a demo for the first one on the eshop. Felt classic zelda-y but I didn't finish the demo yet.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Bingo. But the world has changed, and now people expect matchmaking and stable official servers and anti-cheating measures and lord knows what. And big companies like Valve and EA and Blizzard are happy to provide that because they are in it for the long haul and know that it will bring them profits in the end. None of this applies to consoles. You're not going to have community Splatoon 2 servers even if Nintendo would allow it. There is only one company that can provide this infrastructure and they can't see it financially working out without a subscription.

Again, are Sony and Microsoft paying for the server costs of multiplayer games?

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Harrow posted:

I should note I'm not saying that I assume there's a good justification, just that I don't think I've ever seen someone try to explain why it's a good thing, and that's weird--I'm used to companies spinning a line about how their anti-consumer actions are actually pro-consumer if you look at it from the "right" perspective.

Theoretically the cost is to fund the maintenance of the servers running all the multiplayer servers and possibly also the development of new functionality for those servers. It makes a ton more sense when things are hosted on the cloud vs hosted on a user's machine, but even then matchmaking servers need maintenance too. However, I don't think that's really what they are doing and this is mostly motivated by corporate greed. Plenty of game servers subsidize their maintenance costs with a portion of the game sales. Maybe they get away with it more on consoles because they are all a "walled garden" vs the multitude of options you get on PC. A PC player would be less likely to stand for it and just move on to a free thing because they aren't locked in to just one service.

Any good sized company has guys sitting around trying to figure out the answer to "Whats the most profitable ratio of sales projections vs price we can possibly achieve?". You sell more if it's cheap and offers free services, but cheap doesn't bring in the big bucks. Overprice it and nobody bothers with it and you still don't make money. So you have to balance it carefully. In the case of consoles people have shown that they will shell out for online access. However they probably won't for Nintendo games just yet - the market isn't completely there yet. Once they have a library of must-have MP games they'll start charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oceanhorn demo is clumsy windwaker

It feels like a really good senior project or a really rough-playing retail game. Graphics were at least clean if simplistic and uninspired.

• Locked thread