Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

You can. You don't even need to trade.

Like I'd understand your pov more if you weren't talking about a vendor item.

It doesnt matter WHAT item, ANY item you want to buy from another player jesus christ are you dense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How bout this, we dont make currency tradeably in stacks, thats way too convenient.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It doesnt matter WHAT item, ANY item you want to buy from another player jesus christ are you dense?

I don't think you'd have the same experience if you tried to buy an item that wasn't common, a quest reward and a vendor recipe .

One real issue the system has is it is susceptible to "scamming" people through "fake" listings.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I don't think you'd have the same experience if you tried to buy an item that wasn't common, a quest reward and a vendor recipe .

One real issue the system has is it is susceptible to "scamming" people through "fake" listings.

Yes, but the way the market is set up the vast majority of items after week 1 is either multiple exalts or 1chaos/less, and people dont bother for the latter in most cases.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yes, but the way the market is set up the vast majority of items after week 1 is either multiple exalts or 1chaos/less, and people dont bother for the latter in most cases.

That's true. I've defiantly have not bothered trying to buy anything listed at less than a chaos or chaos equivalent.

I don't think you are missing much by not have worthless items not readily available tho. You disagree tho.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Any thoughts on this? I'm having trouble getting something that seems reasonably close on poe.trade, and it seems like it could match up well with someone using one of those nifty elder daggers that's like "30% of physical damage as extra fire and cold damage"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Any thoughts on this? I'm having trouble getting something that seems reasonably close on poe.trade, and it seems like it could match up well with someone using one of those nifty elder daggers that's like "30% of physical damage as extra fire and cold damage"

the implicit is hot garbage and none of those rolls look like t1, so probably nothing.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jusupov posted:

The base + enchant was super expensive, and so was crafting the additional mine

Tried some more

So drat close to being really really good

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If people don't bother for < 1c, stop looking at listings for < 1c. poe.trade has a minimum and maximum buyout feature.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It honestly isn't that hard.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's a game, not part of your identity. you don't have to defend janky poo poo

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Mo_Steel posted:

Actually I think if I had any one wish for this game, it'd be to have it auto-pickup currency when I run over it. Make it a toggle so if there's someone out there who enjoys clicking on scrolls of wisdom to pick them up they can go nuts.

idk if i'd love auto-pick up for currency (i do think it'd affect the economy given how much poo poo i leave laying on the floor cuz i can't be arsed to click it or my inventory is full) but something like a 5 or 10 range pickup range for items would definitely improve the 'smoothness' of picking things up without making too big of an impact, i think.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
In general GGG considers the current state of trade disastrously easy, and the trade experience they designed on their own for xbox and chinese realm is just searching through hundreds of base items with no stat filter whatsoever. So... I'm gonna take the poetrade experience and say "it's good."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

doesnt ss have the aoe tag? ac shouldn't work with that

Molten Strike has the AOE tag but it works perfectly with AC, because the initial hit isn't AOE. And like I said, I'm definitely getting the extra attacks for the initial hit of Static Strike. What I want to know is if I also get two extra static discharges from it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Jusupov posted:

Id'd 1.5-2 ex. Unid'd closer to 7

Holy poo poo I did not realize they were that ID'd.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jinnigan posted:

idk if i'd love auto-pick up for currency (i do think it'd affect the economy given how much poo poo i leave laying on the floor cuz i can't be arsed to click it or my inventory is full) but something like a 5 or 10 range pickup range for items would definitely improve the 'smoothness' of picking things up without making too big of an impact, i think.

I'm fine with reducing quantity dropped if it's a big deal. If at the end of the day half as many scrolls drop as before but because I don't skip them I end with the same amount then it's purely a QoL improvement with no loss.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So is there any reason to hang onto those scrolls? I have 4 whole columns filled up in my stash that I could really stand to free up.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Rough Lobster posted:

So is there any reason to hang onto those scrolls? I have 4 whole columns filled up in my stash that I could really stand to free up.

Buy the pay2win tab for currency. Do it last weekend or the one three weeks from now

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

Filling guild stash tabs with smiley faces.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Was it someone in here who said they were doing a searing bond chieftain? How is that working out?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/FearSide/characters
https://pastebin.com/3eavv9QX

Hello goon from 7 pages ago, it's me I'm the guy with the Searing Bond Chieftain like it's 2013. This is my build, charname fuckabreachBEYONDBOIZ. I've definitely hit a plateau as far as directions to take this character, even though there are some big-ticket items that would certainly improve it.

The build itself is simple, easy and viable. While I do need to squeeze a bit of extra health and damage from my gear/passives in order to do Shaper, I've at least reached the point where t13 maps are a breeze. Is the build a good choice, however? It's antiquated, it receives basically zero support from the new league mechanics (excepting freeing up some gem space with Shaper mods) and it's hardly exciting or exactly fast. It's the same build I did from last league and I'm essentially just being stubborn about downing Shaper.

Some definite gear upgrades:
Death's Door
Level 21 Searing Bond, Level 4 Empower
Some sick Shaper helm so I can possibly collapse both my Scorching Ray and Righteous Fire totems into one setup
+1 curses amulet, and then either see the viability of the new Witchfire Brew, or to take points out of Whispers of Doom
Elemental Vulnerability on Hit gloves, to further free up gem space

Those are the things that seem 'obvious'. What's less obvious, and what I'm hoping the thread can help me with, is just optimizing things. My 5L is currently my Orb of Storms curse on hit setup, which seems a tad indulgent? It is propping up Elemental Overload on top of the dual curse, however. My passive tree can certainly use some cleaning up; the dexterity node is literally just for Blood Rage for the Arakaali pantheon trick which I'm not sure is worth the passive and I could gain 10 levels and still not run out of 5% life nodes to pick up. I'm certain there's gimmicks and other layers, defensive and offensive, that I'm missing but guess what, no one loving uses Searing Bond so all the homework is basically all on me. If anyone has suggestions, I'm certainly open to them. 'Play a real build' comes to mind.

Kurash fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 16, 2018

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I doubt CoC Cospri's is the best build (actually it isn't), but man is it fun.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rough Lobster posted:

ID scolls trade to portals, portals trade to transmutes, transmutes trade to augs, and augs trade to alts. Then buy cheaper jewelers from level 6 Elreon with your alts, and level 6 Vorici will sell you cheaper fuses for your jewelers. Level 6 Haku will give you a discount on the augs -> alts as well.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Holy poo poo I did not realize they were that ID'd.

people are making builds built around using all of the abyss uniques. So the more abyss sockets you have the more life/mana/spirit bombs/damage you do. I'm doing a pathfinder wander right now like that. So my BiS would be 2 abyss socket helm/gloves/boots(lol 25ex rip me). Only the chest would be one abyss because you want the 5l for barrage.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Bugsy posted:

ID scolls trade to portals, portals trade to transmutes, transmutes trade to augs, and augs trade to alts. Then buy cheaper jewelers from level 6 Elreon with your alts, and level 6 Vorici will sell you cheaper fuses for your jewelers. Level 6 Haku will give you a discount on the augs -> alts as well.

You'll need to do some homework, since some of these are inefficient. Also 4x Jewellers -> 1x Fuse, which is relevant.

Here are some real numbers for Abyss league.
~200 Scrolls of Wisdom = 1 Chaos
~60 Portal Scroll = 1 Chaos
~60 Augmentation Orb = 1 Chaos
~50 Transmutation Orb = 1 Chaos
~11 Alteration = 1 Chaos
~12 Jewellers = 1 Chaos
~3 Fusing = 1 Chaos

It's typically better to keep your Alterations instead of using Elreon, for example. In fact, Vorici is essentially the only currency deal I think is worth doing, though Chance Orbs -> Scours comes close.

e: editing numbers to more accurately represent what you can sell this currency for

Kurash fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 16, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

When you say inefficient, are you counting the time spent trading with people vs slamming poo poo into vendor sell pages? Cause I don't think you are. ;)

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Uh, I wasn't exactly explicit in the post but it's never, ever a good idea to trade Alterations up. Trading Portal Scrolls up for Augs is also really really questionable. I was also dispelling the idea that most of the Master 'deals' are worth doing.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Rough Lobster posted:

Just stop picking up scrolls, you'll burn through your stockpile faster than you'd think.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
90% of the time, when some goon whines about trade it turns out they're looking to buy something for 13 chromes and a fusing 2 months into a league

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

hawowanlawow posted:

it's a game, not part of your identity. you don't have to defend janky poo poo

Trade isn't going away, and we're never getting an AH or other form of instant buyouts, so I'd rather help people work with the system we have.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I only started playing PoE again this season (haven't played since first release) and never touched D3 AH/trade, but here's my wall of text experiences and opinions with trade:

I'm used to playing SSF style gameplay in these types of games, but I'm playing on the normal league so that it would be easier to get cool uniques to mess around with. Due to this and a lack of system knowledge or patience to learn it, I melt almost any rare that isn't applicable to me. The only exception is high life/res rolls on accessories or elder/shaped items that look cool, which I keep for swapping or stick in the guild stash. I don't think any trading system would improve this for newer players who can't/don't want to learn, so the current system is likely good enough for the players who know what's up.

Buying/selling high base value unique(-like) items (3c and up, which is what I personally price as a minimum to interrupt my gameplay) is perfectly serviceable under the current trade system. You only have to stop once in a while to off-load something to sell because they don't show up often, and most people will at least respond quickly when buying. Pricing seems pretty easy after a quick reference on poe trade/ninja; most seem to sell for a baseline unless it's a really high/max roll on everything, or has a rare enchantment/corruption that is popular. I probably somewhat undersold a couple things, but I still got chaos out of something I would have otherwise vendor'd so I could care less. I haven't had any scamming/hagglers yet, and would probably just drop the trade and leave if somebody started. The current trade system is fine for this, although official support for in-game price referencing would be nice.

Low base value unique(-like) items (< 3c) that I don't want to use on another character, I either toss into the guild stash if there's space or vendor it if it doesn't fit (I hold on to fragments, though). I do try to cross reference the rolls before I do, but I've probably tossed valuable high rolled items into the guild stash without thinking; I would rather play the actual game. A lot of other people probably feel the same way, since I often need to dive through listings to find someone that even responds. I often filter for mid/high rolls and buy at 2-3c just to stop wasting my time. I don't really see a way that would improve trading these without allowing large scale market manipulation through automated trading due to the lack of volume, so it's just a consequence of the system. Guild stashes sort of alleviate this by giving a general dumping point for low value (but interesting) items.

Uncommon stuff like non-unique flasks or maps are awful unless you dive down for a response, get lucky with somebody willing to give you a hand out, or get ripped off by somebody knowing you're desperate. Items like these definitely shouldn't have automation; it would be very easy to suddenly drive up scarcity and price on otherwise uncommon items to rip people off. However, the actual game should definitely have a better system for stuff that is uncommon but inexpensive. An example is the granite flask vendor recipe: why isn't there a recipe for every type of flask? Why can't you just have a flask merchant in the epilogue like Lilly Roth for gems, for when the uncommon rarity of utility flasks doesn't matter as much? For maps, why doesn't Zana just allow you to buy a white version of any (non-unique) map once you've completed the bonus objective for it, instead of forcing you to grind for another drop if you have to do a Shaper/Elder objective or achievement/challenge in them? These items are more of a game issue exasperated by trading than a trading issue.

Currency is almost the exact opposite of the flasks/maps when selling, to the point where you might as well just stay at your hideout and be a trade slave to all the requests until you sold out or hit your minimum due to the response you get. I was relieved when somebody just bought out my entire stock of chisels/sextants in one transaction instead of having to do multiple trades. This is magnified due to how a bunch of the high end currency items are hard to properly take advantage of unless you play hardcore (as in play a lot, not the HC mode), meaning you put up with selling them or leave them to rot in the hopes that you might use them one day. This is the one place I feel would be okay to allow automated buy/sell orders to relieve players, solely because the volume would be large enough to justify automation. However, there should be some restrictions: only the seller can make an automated order (no autobuy manipulation, make it easy to catch scripters doing so), currency is held in the order until bought or cancelled, and cancel all sales on seller logout (to prevent sellers from getting ripped off by price spikes/manipulation while offline).

tl;dr: The current trading is fine for the most part from my experience, and should avoid automation (with the possible exception of currency trading).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 16, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Floodkiller posted:

I only started playing PoE again this season (haven't played since first release) and never touched D3 AH/trade, but here's my wall of text experiences and opinions with trade:

I'm used to playing SSF style gameplay in these types of games, but I'm playing on the normal league so that it would be easier to get cool uniques to mess around with. Due to this and a lack of system knowledge or patience to learn it, I melt almost any rare that isn't applicable to me.

You melt uniques? As opposed to, I dunno, socking them away in a tab in case you have a build that needs it later?

I'll admit I did do the fortune thing where you trade 5 uniques for a new random unique, but that was 5 low-level melee uniques. It gave me a different low-level melee unique.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I throw all my uniques into a quad tab. When I get low on alchemy orbs, or I get a 5-for-1, I pick the ones I'm least likely to use.

This league, melting stuff into alchemy orbs is probably more money than you would get from most things otherwise.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I can't be bothered looking any of that poo poo up, melt it or save it to get currency to make your character 2% faster running maps who cares

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

I can't be bothered looking any of that poo poo up, melt it or save it to get currency to make your character 2% faster running maps who cares
why are you even playing poe

this is 'spend your entire lifes savings for a 2% upgrade: the game'

granted, d3 is the same way. all arpgs are.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

So out of curiosity I just tried to buy a Granite Flask on Hardcore Abyss.
It took less than 20 seconds, I messaged the first 4 people on poe.trade and got two party invites immediately.

So I don't know what you're doing but you're doing something horribly wrong.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Rough Lobster posted:

You just upgrade them. When my currency tab hits about 1000 ID or portal scrolls, I crunch 'em down into a couple of regrets or scourings at a vendor. Doesn't take long, and every little bit helps when you're SSF.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

why are you even playing poe

this is 'spend your entire lifes savings for a 2% upgrade: the game'

granted, d3 is the same way. all arpgs are.

eh you can make a viable character just buying items with currency drops

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

You melt uniques? As opposed to, I dunno, socking them away in a tab in case you have a build that needs it later?

I'll admit I did do the fortune thing where you trade 5 uniques for a new random unique, but that was 5 low-level melee uniques. It gave me a different low-level melee unique.

I melt most rares on sight, I keep uniques until I price check. Unless an item looks interesting to me to try, why keep it? If I wasn't in the guild, I'd probably stash the unique jewels for that 5-to-1 prophecy (that only gives me Bramblejack) and melt the rest that won't sell for a decent chunk of change. Since I am in the guild, I toss it into the guild stash and look through it later when I need something that I know I'd have to dig through pages of poo poo to get on poe trade.

Again, I'm more of a SSF sort of person but the uniques looked really fun so I decided to give normal a shot.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Instant buyouts on the AH would work if it was restricted only to low ticket items that people don't want to leave maps to sell. Easier access to flasks and the shittiest uniques for 5-1 or leveling!

What I don't understand is why people put flasks in their shop tab if they're not going to bother to sell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Instant buyouts on the AH would work if it was restricted only to low ticket items that people don't want to leave maps to sell. Easier access to flasks and the shittiest uniques for 5-1 or leveling!

What I don't understand is why people put flasks in their shop tab if they're not going to bother to sell them.

most of the time theyre from when I put them in there near league start for easy chaos. if its a week into league there's no way in hell i'm leaving my map for 1c. if I'm doing another trade i'll do it. I suspect that's what other people are doing too. That's why when I buy 1-2c items I look for the person who listed it most recently, they usually respond.

id be all for near instant commodity trading (fragments/currency etc) but anything with rolls or stats can get weird fast