Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

limbo sucks, this is what everyone can agree to, he just smells and isn't well regarded

(really welcome for sortie rescues though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

One time I did a mobile defense mission with a max duration/minimum range Limbo and it was alright. Dude's cataclysm was small enough that it only covered the terminal. I don't know what else he did for the entire mission, but he appeared to be contributing to the team, which is more than anyone could ask for from a pubbie Limbo.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Sarsapariller posted:

I think I've got a Hek in my foundry already, I'll pull that out and see what kind of mischief I can get up to with it.

Tell clanchat you just pulled your Hek out and want the augment mod for it (edit: Scattered Justice?). It's +200% multishot, stacks with Hell's Chamber, turns the gun into a portable battleship cannon AND causes you to explode the entire room every now and then.

Melee will get better later, yeah. It's just rough in the middle when enemies start getting a bit beefier since you need some of those rarer mods to really have it take off, and there are a few event-only mods that make melee go from "good" to "cheese fiesta".

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Prime mods come from Baro Kiteer, a trader who swings by every 2 weeks. To get the currency Baro likes, you run Void Fissures and trade him the stuff you get that isn't worth anything. Prime mods are the very definition of gilding the lily; none of them are "necessary," they are just extra oomph and are totally unnecessary. Any time a build calls for Primed Continuity, regular old Continuity will do just fine.

Three primed mods also come as login rewards: Primed Fury at 200 days, Primed Vigor at 400 days, Primed Shred at 600 days. There is no other way to get these at present. The rest of the primed mods can be bought for platinum (and a 1 million credit trading tax). Good ones will cost 300-500 plat and can be completely worth it if you have the currency. They're also usually purchased ranked, saving piles of endo and a bit of credits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mk-1 weapons and damaged mods are a cruel joke that actively make the game worse for new players.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hell yeah back in the clan

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Currently working on putting together a status focused Lesion, targeting a build like this. Does that look good? I'm not sure that Weeping Wounds makes sense, since even a 1.5x combo puts it above 100% status chance and my understanding is that anything over 100 is wasted. Would it be better off as another elemental/status mod? Or something else I haven't considered?

Assuming Weeping Wounds is best, does anybody have a spare they'd be willing to sell/trade? I missed out on the acolyte farming over the holidays.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you don't really need 100% status for anything other than pellet guns. two hybrid mods and drifting contact bring it up to 78%, which should be perfectly adequate. if that's not enough, a third hybrid takes it to 96%, which when added to the damage is easily more useful than weeping wounds.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rainuwastaken posted:

Tell clanchat you just pulled your Hek out and want the augment mod for it (edit: Scattered Justice?).

I really need to get this. My Hek is already incredible with a potato and some mods, but this is the big one I'm missing to make it truly absurd.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Taking the soma suggestion and looking at a build like this:
http://warframe-builder.com/Primary...9-9/en/2-0-17/0

The only thing I'd need to make that build other than credits/endo, is the Heavy Caliber mod which looks like it goes for pennies on the market. Definitely going to try that later.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm assuming there aren't any minion/turret master frames?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Vauban can drop some mines and little balls that shock enemies, but that's the closest you get atm.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

nekros has minions, but they are annoying as hell and mostly only useful with an augment that makes them share your damage. vauban can drop tiny lightning turrets, but they only last for a limited number of shots and scale poorly. next frame is gonna be a catlady who summons cats, though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Mesa *is* a turret. As for minionframes the minions themselves are mediocre, save for Octavia's which draws gunfire and provides group buffs.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

:five: Yea, nothing else to say really.

PathAsc posted:

Hell yeah back in the clan

:hfive: bro

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mesa's headwear is the coolest thing in game and im curious what the prime one will end up like.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sarsapariller posted:

Taking the soma suggestion and looking at a build like this:

The only thing I'd need to make that build other than credits/endo, is the Heavy Caliber mod which looks like it goes for pennies on the market. Definitely going to try that later.

Heavy Caliber is probably one of the few mods that are giant traps in Warframe, because yes while the hypothetical damage of a weapon is much higher with HC, the damage calculators are assuming that you're going to be hitting 100% of your shots. HC multiplies the amount of cone of fire bloom per shot of your weapon by something like 110% on top of increasing the initial first shot multiplier. With that Soma build you're getting like a 60% sustained hypothetical DPS buff in exchange for making your weapon become drastically less accurate the longer you fire it. When you factor in headshot and headshot critical multipliers that is not a good deal at all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mk-1 weapons and damaged mods are a cruel joke that actively make the game worse for new players.

they need to be excised from the game entirely

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Nekros, Nyx, and Atlas all kinda have minions (albeit as minor abilities, not their focus). Octavia arguably, too.

Chroma's ult is a single turret.

ack: not first :-(

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 16, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gaj70 posted:

Nekros, Nyx, and Atlas all kinda have minions (albeit as minor abilities, not their focus). Octavia arguably, too.

Chroma's ult is a single turret.

chroma does have an augment that lets you guide the ult around, which is kinda neat

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

turn off the TV posted:

Heavy Caliber is probably one of the few mods that are giant traps in Warframe, because yes while the hypothetical damage of a weapon is much higher with HC, the damage calculators are assuming that you're going to be hitting 100% of your shots. HC multiplies the amount of cone of fire bloom per shot of your weapon by something like 110% on top of increasing the initial first shot multiplier. With that Soma build you're getting like a 60% sustained hypothetical DPS buff in exchange for making your weapon become drastically less accurate the longer you fire it. When you factor in headshot and headshot critical multipliers that is not a good deal at all.

Yeah it seemed odd to me that all of the builds on there were stuffing it in, I thought maybe accuracy didn't matter much but I guess it's just minmax guys being minmax guys. I'd rather be able to hit things.

So maybe take that out and swap it for Hammer shot, which will increase crit rate? I'd still need to buy one cheap card, and the theoretical dps is lower, but somehow I think I could get by with "just" 12k.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'd go either another 11 point elemental or Vigilante Armaments instead of Hammer Shot (it's kind of an edge case mod, only useful on a few specific builds), and Shred instead of Speed Trigger. Otherwise it looks solid :)

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Counterpoint for heavy caliber: most of the game revolves around shooting into masses of dudes, and picking them off one at a time with headshots is a lot less efficient than unloading a shitload of powerful bullets in their general direction.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Heavy Calibur is a gun that works incredibly well on some guns and is a complete dumpster fire on others. Some weapons, like the Opticor, can use HC to almost zero detriment. On other guns, it'll turn every firefight into that one wild gunfire scene from Predator.

Sarsapariller posted:

So maybe take that out and swap it for Hammer shot, which will increase crit rate? I'd still need to buy one cheap card, and the theoretical dps is lower, but somehow I think I could get by with "just" 12k.

Hammer Shot is the real trap. The crit stat on it looks good, but it's actually super crap. Replace with an element mod or something. Also, magnetic damage is probably the worst damage type in the game. Probably better off with Corrosive (when in doubt, use acid) or Radiation (because bombards are the devil).

Someone above mentioned Shred instead of Speed Trigger and that's good, because it makes you shoot faster but also lets you shoot through people and that's just awesome.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

DoombatINC posted:

I'd go either another 11 point elemental or Vigilante Armaments instead of Hammer Shot (it's kind of an edge case mod, only useful on a few specific builds), and Shred instead of Speed Trigger. Otherwise it looks solid :)

Good points. With another elemental in there, it's higher dps than hammer shot and I don't need to buy anything for it.
http://warframe-builder.com/Primary...49-9/en/2-0-17/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Can I get a re-invite to the clan? In game name is explosivo.

Also, anyone have any Ember Prime parts they can part with? I only need two more (forget which ones though).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hammer shot can absolutely be good on a few weapons but the issue is that all the others have many other options that give you more oomph for the slot, and after a point the point value on mods isn't really an issue compared to the actual 8 mod slot limit on a weapon

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I have Hammershot on my Baza, and I do not regret it. I also don't have Hunter Munitions slotted anymore, so I don't miss it too much once Dmg 2.5 ruins it for everyone. :colbert:

Not super optimal, but good enough for all the endgame we currently have when combined with a max range/duration Caliboo with a Dagger with Covert Lethality.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

explosivo posted:

Also, anyone have any Ember Prime parts they can part with? I only need two more (forget which ones though).

ember prime is getting unvaulted next month (?) so come farm with us

I want it a lot and I'm gonna farm the poo poo out of it but I figure anyone with parts now is trying to sell them while the prices are still high to people who don't know about unvaulting

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Psion posted:

ember prime is getting unvaulted next month (?) so come farm with us

I want it a lot and I'm gonna farm the poo poo out of it but I figure anyone with parts now is trying to sell them while the prices are still high to people who don't know about unvaulting

Oh poo poo, I had no idea. I never know what people might have an excess of to ask for and what's actually rare/sought after.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm just guessing about the selling part, but I do know I will be farming so hard. Prime version of my favorite frame why yes, yes indeed.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Psion posted:

I really need to get this. My Hek is already incredible with a potato and some mods, but this is the big one I'm missing to make it truly absurd.

it's a great investment as once you throw some forma into it, it will one-shot just about everything

build for the right elements and bring it on a Sortie 3 with lv. 100 mobs, watch 'em eat dirt :unsmigghh:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

M2tt posted:

Counterpoint for heavy caliber: most of the game revolves around shooting into masses of dudes, and picking them off one at a time with headshots is a lot less efficient than unloading a shitload of powerful bullets in their general direction.

Without any corpro, a Soma build without HC will be able to kill a Lancer with all body shots in under a second all the way up to level 65~, and with four corpros about level 115~. Meanwhile, a level 65 Bombard can face tank a HC build Soma for 13.3 seconds without any headshots, and can tank a non HC Soma for 17.5 seconds. However, when you factor in that a headshot deals 2x base damage, and a headshot crit deals ^2 base damage, the non HC Soma comes out pretty drat far ahead if you're firing from anywhere besides point blank.

e: Testing it out myself in game, with a Soma P with Stormbringer instead of HC I can kill a level 65 Bombard about 20-25 meters away in about 33 bullets, with HC instead of Stormbringer it takes about 85 bullets.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 16, 2018

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nekros has minions, but they are annoying as hell and mostly only useful with an augment that makes them share your damage. vauban can drop tiny lightning turrets, but they only last for a limited number of shots and scale poorly. next frame is gonna be a catlady who summons cats, though.

Nekros' minions are even worse than annoying, they actively counteract the whole point of Nekros: loot. The game has a certain number of "slots" for spawning enemies and Nekros' shadows count towards that cap. So the more shadows you have out, the less enemies the game can spawn. At max rank it's enough of a difference that it is actually really detrimental to a lot of the farms you'd bring Nekros for, such as ODD. Honestly his whole ult needs a rework. The anti-synergy with himself and Oberon is super dumb, it's an annoying maintenance task to keep the shadows up, and they are only useful as mediocre meat shields anyways. His Health Conversion build is plenty tanky anyways.

turn off the TV posted:

With the advent of Vigilante Armaments and Hunter Munitions, Heavy Caliber is pretty much useless outside of extremely specific weapons where the mechanics cancel out the penalty (like the Opticor as Rainuwastaken mentioned). Even then Vigilante Armaments is almost strictly better just straight up since multishot is a better multiplier than raw damage and Hunter Munitions is way better on weapons that can use it. Those mods are also way cheaper and way easier to get. So just ignore Heavy Caliber, it's no longer worth it.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Hammer Shot is the real trap. The crit stat on it looks good, but it's actually super crap. Replace with an element mod or something. Also, magnetic damage is probably the worst damage type in the game. Probably better off with Corrosive (when in doubt, use acid) or Radiation (because bombards are the devil).

Someone above mentioned Shred instead of Speed Trigger and that's good, because it makes you shoot faster but also lets you shoot through people and that's just awesome.

Hammer Shot is a trap outside of extremely corner case scenarios. The only two that come to mind are the Quartakk with a 100% status build and the Javlok with a self-proc pure Heat build for Ember.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rainuwastaken posted:

(when in doubt, use acid)

holy poo poo I already have enough trouble keeping track of whats going on in this game

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

turn off the TV posted:

Without any corpro, a Soma build without HC will be able to kill a Lancer with all body shots in under a second all the way up to level 65~, and with four corpros about level 115~. Meanwhile, a level 65 Bombard can face tank a HC build Soma for 13.3 seconds without any headshots, and can tank a non HC Soma for 17.5 seconds. However, when you factor in that a headshot deals 2x base damage, and a headshot crit deals ^2 base damage, the non HC Soma comes out pretty drat far ahead if you're firing from anywhere besides point blank.

e: Testing it out myself in game, with a Soma P with Stormbringer instead of HC I can kill a level 65 Bombard about 20-25 meters away in about 33 bullets, with HC instead of Stormbringer it takes about 85 bullets.

Yeah I'm just not seeing what you are. For reference this is my Soma P build. Swapping HC out for Stormbringer adds about 4 dmg per shot vs a lvl 100 bombard, but the slash procs are reduced from ~115 to ~70 drastically lowering the overall DPS....between the two it's a difference of 20-30 bullets to kill the bombard in favor the HC build so definitely not a dealbreaker either way, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong with my build to begin with :shrug:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

M2tt posted:

Yeah I'm just not seeing what you are. For reference this is my Soma P build. Swapping HC out for Stormbringer adds about 4 dmg per shot vs a lvl 100 bombard, but the slash procs are reduced from ~115 to ~70 drastically lowering the overall DPS....between the two it's a difference of 20-30 bullets to kill the bombard in favor the HC build so definitely not a dealbreaker either way, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong with my build to begin with :shrug:

The dude I was responding to wasn't including Hunter Munitions in his build, so I wasn't either. With my own build my slash procs are between 533, 277 and 69 on a level 100 Bombard, depending on where the shot lands and what kind of crit I get.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

turn off the TV posted:

The dude I was responding to wasn't including Hunter Munitions in his build, so I wasn't either. With my own build my slash procs are between 533, 277 and 69 on a level 100 Bombard, depending on where the shot lands and what kind of crit I get.

Fair enough. My only point was that heavy caliber is a good mod.... I put it on just about everything unless it's a sniper/bow and it's certainly not a trap. Soma in particular is a spraying weapon, so basing your assumptions on every shot (even most) being a headshot is pretty disingenuous.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Ive got a weird question, multishot, does it gently caress with your accuracy? I tried it on my lanka and was infuriated to see the two bullets spread like a shotgun blast. Neither appeared to land anywhere near where I was aiming. Is this just an illusion and they're actually hitting on the reticle or did it really murder my accuracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

M2tt posted:

Heavy Caliber is about a 62% increase in total damage as compared to an empty slot. Replacing that empty slot with a +90% mod when you already have +120% elemental damage is a 41% increase in damage.
Crit headshots do 4x as much damage as crit bodyshots, aka +300% damage, while non-crit headshots do 2x as much damage as non-crit bodyshots, aka +100%. With 75% crit chance, that means headshots are an average of +250% to your damage.

So the math works out like 1.62 * ( 1 + [headshot % with hcal] * 2.5 ) = 1.41 * (1 + [headshot % without hcal] * 2.5).

If you get 100% of headshots without it, heavy caliber is only a net damage increase if you get more than 81% headshots with it. If you were getting 50% headshots without, heavy caliber is better if you get more than 38% headshots with it. If you were getting headshots ~6% of the time without it, heavy caliber does equal damage even with 0% headshots.

e: But yeah none of this takes hunter munitions into account. Hcal affects slash proc damage but elemental mods do not, so it would do a lot better. You'd probably want to compare it to argon scope or something instead (since crits do affect slash procs).

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 16, 2018