Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I would pay $3-4 to see what the content you'd get would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't like it when martial arts are appropriated as some sort of strategic mysticism, and I def don't like it when they hinge their metaphor on weirdo combos.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006227306X

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone interested in the Closed Guard Series DVD from Bernardo Faria? Particulary this one?

https://www.budovideos.com/products/the-closed-guard-4-dvd-set-by-bernardo-faria

Just gaining interest here. If so Ill list in SA-Mart to sell.

BTW this set is awesome and my closed guard game has gotten a lot better from watching this and drilling stuff.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Great evidence for "if you didn't get shot, it's cuz they didn't want to shoot you."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/fearless-teen-held-gunpoint-coat-11841363

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Great evidence for "if you didn't get shot, it's cuz they didn't want to shoot you."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/fearless-teen-held-gunpoint-coat-11841363

There's a very real chance that it's a fake gun. Like these idiots:
https://www.vladtv.com/article/239410/armed-security-guard-stops-guys-trying-to-rob-7-eleven-with-fake-guns?page=2

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Oh well

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I don't give a flying gently caress

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I participated in my first tournament on Saturday at SDSU for the Tap Cancer Out event which ended up raising a lot of money for cancer. I ended up competing in the Ultra Heavy Weight class but since Im such a fat rear end, they ended up asking one of the weight class competitors below to move up and he did. Totally cool guy named Chris from Team Carlson Gracie was like "Sure! You wanna roll?" I was honestly a little disappointed that it was only the two of us since it became a best of 3 matches situation. I lost my first match by getting stuck in a standing wristlock. The second match went to the ground and I ended up playing a bottom game of half guard/ Electric Chair which ended up in me losing position. It went downhill from there. I ended up fighting an armbar (successfully), but he just racked up the points. I did some things right, a lot of things wrong and missed some opportunities but I def got the chance to learn from a lot of my mistakes. Feel free to watch and let me know what you guys think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_DIHWkH9c&t=466s

I was coming off a cold that took me out for a week and I hadn't been on the mat since Monday so kind of take that into consideration.

edit: sorry about the music, I wasnt the one that edited this.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 16, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

A couple things:

With that electric chair sweep if you get resistance like that you don't have to insist, rock him back the other way for the sweep.
With knee on belly, don't hold that pant leg at the ankle, scoop it back to half guard
In mount don't frame on his chest or higher

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

A couple things:

With that electric chair sweep if you get resistance like that you don't have to insist, rock him back the other way for the sweep.

Jay your absolutely right, but I just wasnt thinking straight. I think I had an opportunity (a very quick one) to also fish my left arm under his left leg then come back and rest on it. When he comes back at me, the sweep is there and I end up in kind of a leg drag situation.

quote:

With knee on belly, don't hold that pant leg at the ankle, scoop it back to half guard

Good point!

quote:

Or stick to the basics and attempt a bump and roll?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Jay your absolutely right, but I just wasnt thinking straight.

Or stick to the basics and attempt a bump and roll?

Not trying to be critical, comp matches move at a much faster pace than normal training so I know what you mean.

I still wouldn't reach up on a bump and roll attempt, I prefer to stay in tight and work for an elbow escape or trap and roll.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

Can you expand on this? I was always told to go higher and get my knees under their armpits to isolate the arms and attack those isolated arms.

Edit - oh, does in mount mean you are being mounted, rather than you are mounting someone?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Can you expand on this? I was always told to go higher and get my knees under their armpits to isolate the arms and attack those isolated arms.

Edit - oh, does in mount mean you are being mounted, rather than you are mounting someone?

Yeah, in the video he got mounted and reached up towards his opponents chest/neck area.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Congratulations on the tournament, it seems like you've got some good experience out of it. During standup you seemed ultra tense and would frame your arms in a manner that was defensive but didn't seem like it would result in better grips for you and kinda made you spend lots of energy for little return. At our weight class it's one thing I've been trying to be much more aware of as being on the bottom is often times catastrophic if the guy gets to pass during a bad takedown defense and set up camp on you.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Odddzy posted:

Congratulations on the tournament, it seems like you've got some good experience out of it. During standup you seemed ultra tense and would frame your arms in a manner that was defensive but didn't seem like it would result in better grips for you and kinda made you spend lots of energy for little return. At our weight class it's one thing I've been trying to be much more aware of as being on the bottom is often times catastrophic if the guy gets to pass during a bad takedown defense and set up camp on you.

Yeah I worked with my coach over the past couple of days to address a couple of the issues. He even showed me an escape from that wristlock, although he point out that having the right grip and grip placement can eliminate that from happening to begin with.

Ill be honest, its a little weird rolling in an unfamiliar place such as that with everyone watching you. It was def a learning experience.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is a random observation / question.
For you guys who are senior enough to coach or given instruction to the junior students -- do you find yourself repeating advice multiple times in explaning something?

I do that. Example:

"Ok, you're bringing your chin up as you transition from the jab to the cross. You gotta keep the chin tucked and move your head off line as the cross comes out.
If you leave your chin up and your head back, you can't line your upper body up consistently behind the punch.
So make sure to keep your chin tucked when you bring the jab back and throw the cross out. If you don't you're presenting a target and not making full use of your torso to add to the range of the punches.
So yeah, keep reminding yourself to tuck the chin."

There's obviously a few bits of information in there, but I can't seem to help repeating the main advice -- tuck your chin.
Part of it is that I dunno everyone's aptitude, so I want to overcommunicate. Combine that with a stream of conscious explanation, and I can't make myself as concise as I want to.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

For you guys who are senior enough to coach or given instruction to the junior students -- do you find yourself repeating advice multiple times in explaning something?

I do that. Example:

"Ok, you're bringing your chin up as you transition from the jab to the cross. You gotta keep the chin tucked and move your head off line as the cross comes out.
If you leave your chin up and your head back, you can't line your upper body up consistently behind the punch.
So make sure to keep your chin tucked when you bring the jab back and throw the cross out. If you don't you're presenting a target and not making full use of your torso to add to the range of the punches.

There's obviously a few bits of information in there, but I can't seem to help repeating the main advice -- tuck your chin.
Part of it is that I dunno everyone's aptitude, so I want to overcommunicate. Combine that with a stream of conscious explanation, and I can't make myself as concise as I want to.

Yep. Is normal. It's how people learn. There are tons of intrinsic movements that we do without thinking, but which are alien and strange for someone who is new. If we're doing foot sweeps I have to reinforce some components four or five times per student.

In fact, explaining techniques - taking them from implicit understanding to explicit - is why teaching is great. It makes us better at what we do.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I do that. Example:

Yeah all the time. People are concerned with completing the move as a whole and lose the details. Especially in striking because there's a lot more moving parts.

I find it effective to remind people to encourage people to slow down in drilling and really focus on a step by step approach. Once they're not messing up the steps you can refine the small details.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
As a student I can often tell I've not done something correctly and it's nice to have that reinforcement of "Yea you didn't do xyz" to go along with my internal monologue of thoughts, and considering I'm poo poo the same thing is repeated to me often and I feel bad for my teachers.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

I find it effective to remind people to encourage people to slow down in drilling and really focus on a step by step approach. Once they're not messing up the steps you can refine the small details.

This plus reminding (usually new people) that speed comes last.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My first teacher put a fair amount of effort into teaching us (2 seniors students) " how to teach " and assigned each of us a group of students.
One general guide line was that if you have to repeat something more than 3 times (and no change towards the right solution is happening), you need to find a different way of phrasing/demonstrating it.
Another task, was to find '5 good things' about each of our 'students'. It's very easy to tell relative beginners what they're doing wrong, but far harder to say what they're doing right. Often you can then ask them to take parts of what they're doing right and transfer it over to areas that needs improving.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Complimenting the positives is something I'm really good at. I know I have a whole package of flaws to review, but at the end I'll list out the things they really had going for them.
In taking students from intermediate to advanced, I think it's good to have them build confidence in what they're already good at. To accentuate and expand on tactics that work for them.

Neon Belly posted:

I don't know how to coach this for striking. I've only subbed for the advanced kickboxing sparring class once, and I had my hands full with trying to have very new people get something out of their rounds.
If I only had 2 people to supervise, I'd be able to enforce speed rules. Like I say go 50% of full speed and one guy keeps cheating and going too fast, I can tell him to slow it down so his partner can read some of the movements and put some defense together.

Slow (we call it interactive) sparring like that takes you up to a certain plateau of striking proficiency. When it's slow, balance doesn't work quite the same (because you have to artificially hang out your limbs and stay on one foot, etc.) and you can have very generous reaction times. I dunno how to coach people off of that plateau to full speed sparring. Usually, I tell the newer people to take one technique into a round and try to score with it. Once they've scored once, they can free spar, but until then, they need to work on crafting the ring situation into their favor. To set up a trap and then spring it. They can usually succeed in the first phase, but once they have, they completely revert to an unstructured, reactive style.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is something I repeat fairly often to people when drilling.

kimbo305 posted:

Complimenting the positives is something I'm really good at. I know I have a whole package of flaws to review, but at the end I'll list out the things they really had going for them.
In taking students from intermediate to advanced, I think it's good to have them build confidence in what they're already good at. To accentuate and expand on tactics that work for them.

I don't know how to coach this for striking. I've only subbed for the advanced kickboxing sparring class once, and I had my hands full with trying to have very new people get something out of their rounds.
If I only had 2 people to supervise, I'd be able to enforce speed rules. Like I say go 50% of full speed and one guy keeps cheating and going too fast, I can tell him to slow it down so his partner can read some of the movements and put some defense together.

Slow (we call it interactive) sparring like that takes you up to a certain plateau of striking proficiency. When it's slow, balance doesn't work quite the same (because you have to artificially hang out your limbs and stay on one foot, etc.) and you can have very generous reaction times. I dunno how to coach people off of that plateau to full speed sparring. Usually, I tell the newer people to take one technique into a round and try to score with it. Once they've scored once, they can free spar, but until then, they need to work on crafting the ring situation into their favor. To set up a trap and then spring it. They can usually succeed in the first phase, but once they have, they completely revert to an unstructured, reactive style.

I think it's a much different beast for effective striking sparring vs grappling in that respect.

Maybe setting up more situational sparring and limiting the setups a more advanced person can use so the beginner has a chance to read basic movements would help?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I like to start with them getting the broad strokes of a move correct and then going over it again a couple of times saying ‘now let’s add detail to that.’ I teach the same move three times going from big details to little details. That way they get positive feedback a couple of times before they get it right, and they get to keep reinforcing the move as they add the tweaks. I only ever teach beginners but it seems to work and they seem to feel good about it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is something I repeat fairly often to people when drilling.

I think it's a much different beast for effective striking sparring vs grappling in that respect.

Maybe setting up more situational sparring and limiting the setups a more advanced person can use so the beginner has a chance to read basic movements would help?

Jay what belt level are you at now?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Jay what belt level are you at now?

I'm just a blue belt who thinks he knows it all.

mewse
May 2, 2006

JaySB posted:

Is that not redundant?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Actually you made some good points.

I do a lot of things wrong :( But those are also the areas I really try to concentrate on and then fix. For example today I spent the whole morning doing situational escapes from mount (like you were pointing out).

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mewse posted:

Is that not redundant?

The blue belt is a weird beast.

On one hand you have the brand new blue belt.

On the other hand you have the grizzled three year blue belt who should be getting his purple belt, but instead their teacher prefers them farming up some gold medals first at competion.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

We have a 5-year, maybe longer, blue belt with a wrestling background who trains 3-4x a week. Not sure what they're waiting for to promote him.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

We have a 5-year, maybe longer, blue belt with a wrestling background who trains 3-4x a week. Not sure what they're waiting for to promote him.

For him to get good? Belts aren't an attendance award?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

There's an implication of sorts.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

willie_dee posted:

For him to get good? Belts aren't an attendance award?

A guy that's done bjj for five years with a wrestling background that trains 3-4x a week is probably someone i'd put more money on in a fight against a moped than you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Odddzy posted:

A guy that's done bjj for five years with a wrestling background that trains 3-4x a week is probably someone i'd put more money on in a fight against a moped than you.

You've never seen willie fight a moped.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Actually you made some good points.

I do a lot of things wrong :( But those are also the areas I really try to concentrate on and then fix. For example today I spent the whole morning doing situational escapes from mount (like you were pointing out).

Glad you found my feedback useful.

For what it's worth, I spend about as much time watching videos and analyzing them as I do in the gym.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

JaySB posted:

For what it's worth, I spend about as much time watching videos and analyzing them as I do in the gym.
I think it's true that even at lower levels, there can be a rift between your skill as a competitor vs your skill as an analyst or coach.

Sparred today, and one of the raw but very tall guys was standing straight up and doing slow bare-knuckle/Fighting Irish punches.
When I was watching on the sides, I told him multiple times to keep jabbing down on the shorter fighters and to punch from further out.
It definitely helped. When I got in there with him, holy poo poo, I could not avoid his jabs. I eventually started slipping outside and weaving under, but I must have eaten 5 or 6 of his jabs.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's true that even at lower levels, there can be a rift between your skill as a competitor vs your skill as an analyst or coach.

One may excel at either aspect for sure. And even in a competitive sense there can be a rift in completeness of game.

For example, I have brown belts who can't pass my half guard, get swept and footlocked or leg locked by me. But if we reset or they're not trapped in that guard I'm dead.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Does anyone know if the Electric Chair is legal at the blue belt level for IBJJF Matches? I might have been trying a no no and didnt realize it.

JaySB posted:

For example, I have brown belts who can't pass my half guard, get swept and footlocked or leg locked by me. But if we reset or they're not trapped in that guard I'm dead.

Do you play a pretty heavy deep half/ half guard game mostly? Because I do and I have the same problem.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Does anyone know if the Electric Chair is legal at the blue belt level for IBJJF Matches? I might have been trying a no no and didnt realize it.

Legal except in the kids division.

edit: on that note, why are single legs with head outside illegal in white belt in ibjjf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: on that note, why are single legs with head outside illegal in white belt in ibjjf?

My understanding is that white belts may react with something silly.