Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Shogo was loving sweet too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

jizzy sillage posted:

I will not permit this base treachery in my domain.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

jizzy sillage posted:

Orv posted:

I will not permit this base treachery in my domain.

Two of us, one of you.

Bring.

It.

On.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samizdata posted:

Two of us, one of you.

Bring.

It.

On.

Woah, woah, there. Chill down a little.

There's three of us and only one of them. Let's not beat them too hard :toughguy:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w4FJmflGwg

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I still think Half-Life 2 holds up, but admittedly it's somewhat flawed and the guns and the AI are probably the two biggest issues. The latter wouldn't even be so much so if it wasn't for Valve's level design. HL1 was all tightly scripted corridors, but 2 tries to be more open with its level layouts and due to this, the AI doesn't get effective chokepoints or cover, let alone routes to flank you with. This results in a lot of standing still or running in a straight line instead of doing interesting things, with the occasional grenade toss and mass rush at your location with shotgun soldiers thrown in.

But hey, content, very much related: Minerva Metastasis, the Half-Life 2 mod. I imagine most people are aware of it since it's a drat good standalone mod made by a guy who got hired by Valve for it (to work on monetization schemes probably) and effectively demonstrates the Combine AI in an environment they can use.

Nothing's changed with the actual code, but thanks to far smarter level design, the soldiers are actually an effective threat and instead of essentially being a minor nuisance in the game require some thinking and strategy from the player to figure out how to best deal with them. Plus the actual mod is pretty cool too beyond just the level design, which obviously helps. I recommend playing it to anyone who owns HL2 (so pretty much everyone at this point), but it is still just Half-Life 2's basic mechanics so yeah. Keep that in mind.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 15, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Woah, woah, there. Chill down a little.

There's three of us and only one of them. Let's not beat them too hard :toughguy:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w4FJmflGwg

Four. My favourite bit of SHOGO was a glitch where I loaded into a human-scale map in a teeny-tiny mech. People would burst into gibs if I brushed up against them.

(Also the Red Riot)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Post them half-life mods, like kickboat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_EKaFvM1NM

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ruflux posted:

But hey, content, very much related: Minerva Metastasis, the Half-Life 2 mod. I imagine most people are aware of it since it's a drat good standalone mod made by a guy who got hired by Valve for it (to work on monetization schemes probably) and effectively demonstrates the Combine AI in an environment they can use.

Nothing's changed with the actual code, but thanks to far smarter level design, the soldiers are actually an effective threat and instead of essentially being a minor nuisance in the game require some thinking and strategy from the player to figure out how to best deal with them. Plus the actual mod is pretty cool too beyond just the level design, which obviously helps. I recommend playing it to anyone who owns HL2 (so pretty much everyone at this point), but it is still just Half-Life 2's basic mechanics so yeah. Keep that in mind.

I cannot second this enough. The level design is truly spectacular, bridging non-linear play areas like you might find in Deus Ex with Valve's typical highly railroaded level design to make something special out of two seemingly incompatible things. The levels themselves do not comprise that much area on a grid but they feel quite large, the space is very well used. Really, if you haven't played this, do it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WqAmuSXEQ

Granted it was vastly, vastly improved with the update that brought it to the Orange Box version of the engine but still pretty lol

I actually feel like the game was vastly improved once I realized that I could pick up random objects to use as portable shields.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The game even softly tutorializes this with the gravity gun in Nova Prospekt.

Come to think of it, why does that video work? I have held barrels in front of me with my "arms" or the gravity gun plenty of times blocking enemy LOS and they still shoot at me. Weird.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The turret-wielding ai is programmed so that it only shoots you when it can see you and there's nothing in the way, otherwise it'd just be firing into the wall endlessly. Holding up the jar of providence breaks that ai because it's extremely simple "if can see Freeman, shoot gun" code. Notice that the enemy starts shooting at him just fine even with the thing in the way once it gets off the turret.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Brainamp posted:

Post them half-life mods, like kickboat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_EKaFvM1NM

Man, I remember trying to play SMOD years ago, but it made the game run pretty poorly. I should give it a try again.

Are there any other Half-Life 2 mods that still worth trying nowadays?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Max Wilco posted:

Man, I remember trying to play SMOD years ago, but it made the game run pretty poorly. I should give it a try again.

Strider Mountain and Nightmare House 2 were pretty fun map packs.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Max Wilco posted:

I thought the latest updates to HL2 broke SMOD completely. I remember there was some SMOD revival but then that broke too. It's been a while though. Maybe there has been advancements.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/953099492424810497

quote:

The reason I called it "jerking off" is because I felt like the word masturbating was almost too formal

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

If the brief glimpse of his man tits are anything to go by, he is clearly playing as the clown in Operation

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ruflux posted:

But hey, content, very much related: Minerva Metastasis, the Half-Life 2 mod. I imagine most people are aware of it since it's a drat good standalone mod made by a guy who got hired by Valve for it (to work on monetization schemes probably)
Shockingly, no! He does VR stuff, and occasionally posts tutorials on Steam Community about on how to do photogrammetry poo poo. I think the robot dog fetch stuff in The Lab came out of those experiments?

EDIT: Actual content for the "awesome" side of the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccM_t9vv3Ek

The Kins fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 16, 2018

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

Also the guns were mostly terrible except for a couple of cool alt fires.

You should know better by now dude.

And now your weekly misunderstanding of just about everything body related

:nws: https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/images/88954/88954-1515907659-1332271336.jpeg

I SUPER loving HATE THE OBSESSION WITH SHOWING TEETH BETWEEN LIPS AAAAAAAAAAAGH

...I know it's an odd pet peeve, but I remember a bunch of random Sims modding stuff where they painted teeth onto the lips because they wanted that look. I don't understand it, and it is irritating the things they do to make it happen.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's how you give them those extra-kissable lips. Because that's what people like when they kiss, right? Teeth?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I was about to say that I had seen this article posted here in the thread before, but then I noticed that the tweet was dated today, so I was confused. The article, though is from nearly a year ago (Feb 16, 2017).

Again, I ask: What would posses a person to write an article about this and interview the creator?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, you see, Patrick Klepek is an idiot

edit: But making articles about weird and sometimes silly poo poo like that and playing it totally straight is 75% of waypoint so it's not that out of the ordinary for them. They recently posted an article about a forced feminization fanfic of 9S from nier automata because lets just fuckin throw quality and journalistic integrity out the window why not

further edit:

https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/946156702331752449

to be fair though, nobody else liked it either so

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 16, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: But making articles about weird and sometimes silly poo poo like that and playing it totally straight is 75% of waypoint so it's not that out of the ordinary for them. They recently posted an article about a forced feminization fanfic of 9S from nier automata because lets just fuckin throw quality and journalistic integrity out the window why not

further edit:

https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/946156702331752449

to be fair though, nobody else liked it either so

See, what I can't understand about Klepek is that in this situation shown above, he's adverse to seeing nudity (which isn't actually shown in Y0), but then he turns around and wants to interview a guy about his mod that adds masturbation routines to Stardew Valley.

Like if Waypoint wants to covers mods that do goofy stuff, that's fine, but it feels like there's an inconsistency about it.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Is he the one that interviewed cam dudes on chaturbate about their video game habits?

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Max Wilco posted:

See, what I can't understand about Klepek is that in this situation shown above, he's adverse to seeing nudity (which isn't actually shown in Y0), but then he turns around and wants to interview a guy about his mod that adds masturbation routines to Stardew Valley.

Like if Waypoint wants to covers mods that do goofy stuff, that's fine, but it feels like there's an inconsistency about it.

I'll let my good body CJacobs take it from here:

CJacobs posted:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PC Gamer did do an article on that guy who masturbated on webcam to pay for his EVE Online accounts. There's clearly a market for those articles.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Eurogamer's editorials are merely metaphorical jacking off.

Actual Content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnCmel-t6iE

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Some people getting really high and mighty about somebody getting paid to do the same thing this thread does (talk about weirdo mods and the weirdos that made them)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Some people getting really high and mighty about somebody getting paid to do the same thing this thread does (talk about weirdo mods and the weirdos that made them)

Has anyone in here actually talked to the HDoom or Schlongs of Skyrim people though?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Does the Time Ramenside guy posting in someone's twitch chat count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHMIyEWBTUo

Welge's saga eventually lead to Broteam making a joke about a mermaid cannon that another dev made real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GCqoes6GqU

marathon Stairmaster sesh fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 16, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's how you give them those extra-kissable lips. Because that's what people like when they kiss, right? Teeth?

Well, yeah, if they're doing it right? :confused:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Wizard posted:

It's because these people's behavior should not be celebrated, idolized or reinforced as a good thing, and waypoint does all three, op

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 16, 2018

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Uh who cares what sex workers spend their money on? I find those articles fascinating in the exact same way I find this thread fascinating. None of those people are hurting anyone so who cares.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ishikabibble posted:

The pistol I definitely remember hearing complaints about, but everything else was par for the course for 2004. Gun noises sucked and didn't get good until you hit like the '10s.

FEAR came out in 2005, did it not?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bad Company had some pretty great weapon sounds in 2008.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

turn off the TV posted:

Bad Company had some pretty great weapon sounds in 2008.

Bad Company 2 also did. Not sure about Battlefield 3 and 4, as I skipped those, but Battlefiles 1 has some wonderful sound design.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Bad Company 2 also did. Not sure about Battlefield 3 and 4, as I skipped those, but Battlefiles 1 has some wonderful sound design.
:dice: can be accused of many things, but crappy sound design definitely ain't one of them. Especially on War Tapes setting...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

PC Gamer did do an article on that guy who masturbated on webcam to pay for his EVE Online accounts. There's clearly a market for those articles.

Hold up, I can make money doing that thing I do three times a day but have a webcam on?!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Leal posted:

Hold up, I can make money doing that thing I do three times a day but have a webcam on?!

If you happen to have a seven inch dick, yeah.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I loved battlefield bad company back in the day. When everyone was taking themselves hella seriously Bad Company was a story about idiots doing the dumbest things possible

Bad company 2 had great loving multiplayer but began taking itself seriously and so I was disappointed with the plot

Skipped all others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I still don't know how people can say BC2 took itself too seriously. I guess just because the overall plot was "idiots stop the bad guy from ending the world" instead of "idiots try to steal some gold" (even though its more than that too). The characters are still there, you get a Vietnam-era hippy peacenik helicopter pilot, and everyone is convinced to finally save the day at the end because of Texas cheerleaders