Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They should have put a sacrificial grey African parrot on each ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Zaodai posted:

The NRWR spends all that money on a fancy jump armada and then is too cheap to spring for a few hundred tin foil hats? For shame.

it’s almost like their ruler is a space 80s ceo sociopath who sees people as useful meat puppets to implement his desires!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

Wolverine's got jump-jets, so he's our skirmisher, hit and fade. Is it possible for him and the Black Watch to jump jet over onto the formation on 2216, and (if need be) bombard the base?

This is one thing i'm particularly concerned about for terrain. We have two units that can get up but only through fairly particular paths. The south face is going to be impassible with one exception: the Wolverine's 5 jump can get up by going from 1924 to 2023, and all other southern approaches are too high. If the Clan forces have better jump maneuverability than us and can get into place first, they'd have an easy time cutting down an unsupported medium.

The Wolverine can jump up basically anywhere on the west edge of the rise so that's a little easier and less ambushy, but the Black Watch's 3 jump is much less useful in climbing hills given the terrain. It would need to take a VERY circuitous route to the top, and the differences in elevation means you can't clear more than one hex at a time. It would take a long time for him to get up there and he'd be exposed to everything in the base while doing it. I think it might be better for the Blackwatch to stick to lower elevations, perhaps posting up in the woods on the small rise at 0721?

If the Clan force has as few JJ units as we do*, it's likely a lot of the battle is going to be funneled into the narrow valley between the two hills until we can break through into the base proper, so if we can maintain a line of sight from a couple different directions, it will make it a lot easier for our lights to swing through and get some back shots.

*If they have a lot of them and they jump really high we are going to get swarmed right over the top of those hills and that changes everything, of course

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zikan posted:

it’s almost like their ruler is a space 80s ceo sociopath who sees people as useful meat puppets to implement his desires!

Which is why he would know the value of a good tinfoil hat!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Some really good spots in (What looks like?) Heavy Woods for the Blackwatch or Coyote to park and sling LRMs from. If the Clan forces are deploying from the hangar in the northeast, then there should be good options to play with LoS between the hills/forest at 0620 and the patch of woods around 1419.

One thing to note is, the Dragoon II is going to have to be really aggressive in moving forward as hard as it can- It's the only GoonMech with an active probe, and we know Elementals are going to be in play. The light lance has plenty of weapons to munch on elementals (Although none quite on the same level as the Plasma Rifle), but they have no probes to spot hidden units in the two forests ideally positioned right along any approach to the hangar.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
So, can someone please explain the setup and nature of this mission to me? Because I think I'm about as lost as these jumpships.

Where are we exactly? Did we make it to Clan Space? Why are we deploying against The Coyotes? Why are we even landing at all??

Did I miss an update somewhere?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CourValant posted:

So, can someone please explain the setup and nature of this mission to me? Because I think I'm about as lost as these jumpships.

Where are we exactly? Did we make it to Clan Space? Why are we deploying against The Coyotes? Why are we even landing at all??

Most of the jumpships made it and we're attacking just as soon as enough people quit vomiting to make a half coherent squad.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

CourValant posted:

The NRWR sent a collection of 10 Jumpships on a one-way trip into Clan space. Having arrived in-system, they are now landing on whatever planet this is to kill clanners and get a reaction. As of right now the force is stuck in-system because the jump killed their drives. Presumably we're going to shoot the place up, wait for a reaction, then steal the responder's Jumpships.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CourValant posted:

It's the plan outlined in the political update here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=1880#post473287359

It didn't get voted for on that round though, so it's still around.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Defiance Industries posted:

This is one thing i'm particularly concerned about for terrain. We have two units that can get up but only through fairly particular paths. The south face is going to be impassible with one exception: the Wolverine's 5 jump can get up by going from 1924 to 2023, and all other southern approaches are too high. If the Clan forces have better jump maneuverability than us and can get into place first, they'd have an easy time cutting down an unsupported medium.

The Wolverine can jump up basically anywhere on the west edge of the rise so that's a little easier and less ambushy, but the Black Watch's 3 jump is much less useful in climbing hills given the terrain. It would need to take a VERY circuitous route to the top, and the differences in elevation means you can't clear more than one hex at a time. It would take a long time for him to get up there and he'd be exposed to everything in the base while doing it. I think it might be better for the Blackwatch to stick to lower elevations, perhaps posting up in the woods on the small rise at 0721?

If the Clan force has as few JJ units as we do*, it's likely a lot of the battle is going to be funneled into the narrow valley between the two hills until we can break through into the base proper, so if we can maintain a line of sight from a couple different directions, it will make it a lot easier for our lights to swing through and get some back shots.

*If they have a lot of them and they jump really high we are going to get swarmed right over the top of those hills and that changes everything, of course

How are Elementals at climbing cliffs? Do they have to have enough jump range (and do they?) or can they climb up with their mech-grabbin' claws?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Battle armor (and normal infantry) can climb a max of 1 level of elevation per turn, but the stock Elemental suit has 3 jumping MP iirc.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DatonKallandor posted:

How are Elementals at climbing cliffs? Do they have to have enough jump range (and do they?) or can they climb up with their mech-grabbin' claws?

They have to be able to make the jump, so those cliffs are impassable to standard elementals. A suit of light battle armor may be able to make the jump, but most of those aren't really a threat to BattleMechs.

Zikan posted:

WWLD What Would Lofwyr Do

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

dis astranagant posted:

Most of the jumpships made it and we're attacking just as soon as enough people quit vomiting to make a half coherent squad.

raverrn posted:

The NRWR sent a collection of 10 Jumpships on a one-way trip into Clan space. Having arrived in-system, they are now landing on whatever planet this is to kill clanners and get a reaction. As of right now the force is stuck in-system because the jump killed their drives. Presumably we're going to shoot the place up, wait for a reaction, then steal the responder's Jumpships.

dis astranagant posted:

Thanks, that's what I figured; just, thought we'd get more flavor text before the deployment. At the very least, I thought we'd find out what planet we're at, and why we're deploying against The Coyotes.

I guess it doesn't matter if we're doing 'Scorched Earth', we can start on any piece of ground we find.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

One thing to note is, the Dragoon II is going to have to be really aggressive in moving forward as hard as it can- It's the only GoonMech with an active probe, and we know Elementals are going to be in play. The light lance has plenty of weapons to munch on elementals (Although none quite on the same level as the Plasma Rifle), but they have no probes to spot hidden units in the two forests ideally positioned right along any approach to the hangar.
Yeah I was already thinking about that. Unfortunately the Dragoon 2 is only 4/6 so staying ahead is going to be hard. But like I said, our lights shouldnt be putting themselves into too much danger because they are so squishy, so keeping them near the active probe/our other 'mechs seems really smart right now. Once we start submitting orders I'll make sure to try to take point as best I can.

What is the range of my ECM in this timeline?

edit: and the range of the BAP while I am asking

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 16, 2018

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

CourValant posted:

Thanks, that's what I figured; just, thought we'd get more flavor text before the deployment. At the very least, I thought we'd find out what planet we're at, and why we're deploying against The Coyotes.

I guess it doesn't matter if we're doing 'Scorched Earth', we can start on any piece of ground we find.

I think it's just an extension of the original ultimatum (which I think was only shared between Snow Ravens, Sea Foxes and Ghost Bears? Correct me if I'm wrong).

That is to say, this is Stefan Amaris VII letting the homeworld clans know that "there is nowhere in the galaxy safe for you, I can reach you, I can hurt you when and where I want".

The exact planet or Clan doesn't matter much in this scenario.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I was already thinking about that. Unfortunately the Dragoon 2 is only 4/6 so staying ahead is going to be hard. But like I said, our lights shouldnt be putting themselves into too much danger because they are so squishy, so keeping them near the active probe/our other 'mechs seems really smart right now. Once we start submitting orders I'll make sure to try to take point as best I can.

What is the range of my ECM in this timeline?

edit: and the range of the BAP while I am asking

You have the upgraded Bloodhound probe which detects any battle armor unit (Even ones with Stealth Armor), but not conventional infantry, within 8 hexes.

You also have Angel ECM, which does a number of cool things- It effectively works as two ECM units glued together, and can operate in different modes at the same time (So you can have one level of ECM and one level of ghost targets, although that second one is almost certainly useless since you're likely not a vastly better pilot than the enemies you're going to face).
Unlike the normal Guardian ECM the Angel also messes with streak missile launchers. Normally if a streak missile passes the to hit roll, all missiles from the launcher hit. But if the firing unit is shooting through a hex covered by an Angel system, they get downgraded to normal SRMs so some of the missiles can miss.
It's range is 6 hexes.

e:
Elementals are super nasty if they get to ambush, but the goons driving the Nyxes shouldn't be all that worried. A 10/15 low profile mech is a pretty hard target, so long as they're getting at least that 10+ hexes moved mod.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 17, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

In like Zinn posted:

That is to say, this is Stefan Amaris VII letting the homeworld clans know that "there is nowhere in the galaxy safe for you, I can reach you, I can hurt you when and where I want".

So, this is Uncle Stevie's version of 'Tokyo Raiders'? I can dig that.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

CourValant posted:

I'd guess we're getting the mission and planet specific flavour once they make landfall.

Good luck guys!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Gwaihir posted:

Discussion ITT is great since everyone can see, paired with gdoc to make sure no one's really stepping on each other's hexes.

Here's such a doc for you all to use!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15-Wzf4bGRlQXfdhp_NyHd3M0Tr9UGjDSHXldaCfY1_4/edit?usp=sharing

Works for me, sure. But I still wouldn't mind if we also had a bit of a chin-wag in a chat so's we can hash out what we're going to do, otherwise we'll wind up adding another 50 pages to the thread.

That bothers me too. That valley basically screams "Epic fight here". And I don't think we should do that.

CourValant posted:

We're all slightly premature here, PTN hasn't even given us our markers yet. But I can't help myself, I'm so excited! It's bloody 5 in the morning, and I can't stop thinking in terms of "grand strategies" and "glorious battle".

I do think that our first priority is going to be clearing those forest hexes on this side of the valley. If I had Elementals, that's where I'd want to hide at least a couple of points. Once this side is clear, I'll stomp up with my shield and clearly Rim Worlds 'Mech (the original Rampage was an exclusive RWR design), draw them out so that we can pound them with our missiles. Our lights break out and circle to their rear with the Dragoon supporting them, wallop-wallop-wallop, Clanner fricassee. No zellbrigen. We're not at home to Mr. Honorable. Focus fire on any of their 'Mechs that have long-range weapons, then work our way down to the piddling ones.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

painedforever posted:

But I can't help myself, I'm so excited! It's bloody 5 in the morning, and I can't stop thinking in terms of "grand strategies" and "glorious battle".

Pssst, guys, I think I found the Dirty Clanner Spy!!!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

That bothers me too. That valley basically screams "Epic fight here". And I don't think we should do that.

Again, it depends on the units we have. I'm just going to reiterate this because it's burned the thread enough times, though: PTN does not lie to us, the players. If the units don't show as having JJs we don't need to worry about him getting to turn 4 and saying "AND THEN THEY ALL PUT ON THEIR ROCKET PACKS AND GET 10 JUMP!!!!!"

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Again, it depends on the units we have. I'm just going to reiterate this because it's burned the thread enough times, though: PTN does not lie to us, the players. If the units don't show as having JJs we don't need to worry about him getting to turn 4 and saying "AND THEN THEY ALL PUT ON THEIR ROCKET PACKS AND GET 10 JUMP!!!!!"

Except that one time it happened on the sentai mission.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And also: the gamesmaster has to see the player moves to actually play them, there's no point hiding stuff from him.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's why I have my cat, Boots Kerensky, play the OpForce turn blind. I just adjudicate

I do not own a cat. :saddowns:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's why I have my cat, Boots Kerensky, play the OpForce turn blind. I just adjudicate

I knew it! Clanners are actually half-breed Cat People!! That's why Laser Heat Sinks!!!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

SIGSEGV posted:

And also: the gamesmaster has to see the player moves to actually play them, there's no point hiding stuff from him.

Y'know, I take issue with the term "Gamesmaster". I think that the title should be "Games Custodian".

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

raverrn posted:

Except that one time it happened on the sentai mission.

Look that was just unlocking the last mp from the XXL engines ok and was totally appropriate for that mission!!!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I will say, the OpForce is significantly less jump-capable than the players.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I will say, the OpForce is significantly less jump-capable than the players.

Toads that can't jump playing ablative armor for the mechs they're riding?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Toads that can't jump playing ablative armor for the mechs they're riding?

Jump 3 < Jump 5

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jump 3 < Jump 5

5+ units > 2 units.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

My Stompy Foot > Toad

... yeah, that's not going to come back and haunt me at all!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stomping on Elementals sounds like a great idea, but actually, intentionally ending your move in the same hex as elementals is a fabulously terrible idea.

Just in case you were serious. :)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

VodeAndreas posted:

I'd guess we're getting the mission and planet specific flavour once they make landfall.

Good luck guys!

PTN mentioned a couple pages back that the mission name is going to be (the name of Circe's island from the Odyssey), the name of which I am forgetting at the moment, so it's likely they just made planetfall on Circe. I forget if the Coyotes have a presence there in canon though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

PTN mentioned a couple pages back that the mission name is going to be (the name of Circe's island from the Odyssey), the name of which I am forgetting at the moment, so it's likely they just made planetfall on Circe. I forget if the Coyotes have a presence there in canon though.

Circe was the joint capital of the Snow Ravens and Wolverines. Presumably the Coyotes moved in with the recent abjuration of the Snow Ravens by the Clans that got left out of the initial invasion.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

Stomping on Elementals sounds like a great idea, but actually, intentionally ending your move in the same hex as elementals is a fabulously terrible idea.

Just in case you were serious. :)

Or unintentionally within their Ace movement range if that's in play, I got to showcase that on the Demon Hawks missions. Dead on the next round.

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 17, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

"Put me on address. No, no need to announce me.

"Mechwarriors! Brothers. Sisters.

"I don't do speeches. But it's important that you know why we're here. What we're fighting for.

"This is not a war of high ideals. We're not fighting for freedom. We're not fighting for the future. We're not fighting for land, or resources, or glory. We're not even fighting for our survival, or our right to exist. We're fighting for revenge. We're fighting out of spite and hatred.

"Understand, this isn't about the Inner Sphere, the Star League or the SLDF. This isn't about reclaiming the legacy of the Kerenskys or the Clans. All that we have found amongst the stars is betrayal. And we're here to punish those who betrayed us.

"I don't know what comes after. I don't know if the future has a place for us. And I don't care. I'm just here to kill some Clanner bastards.

"...

"All lights are green. Give a ready report, and go weapons hot."

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

painedforever posted:

"I don't know what comes after. I don't know if the future has a place for us. And I don't care. I'm just here to kill some Clanner bastards.

Hell, men have died and killed for far, far less.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

painedforever posted:

"Put me on address. No, no need to announce me.

"Mechwarriors! Brothers. Sisters.

"I don't do speeches. But it's important that you know why we're here. What we're fighting for.

"This is not a war of high ideals. We're not fighting for freedom. We're not fighting for the future. We're not fighting for land, or resources, or glory. We're not even fighting for our survival, or our right to exist. We're fighting for revenge. We're fighting out of spite and hatred.

"Understand, this isn't about the Inner Sphere, the Star League or the SLDF. This isn't about reclaiming the legacy of the Kerenskys or the Clans. All that we have found amongst the stars is betrayal. And we're here to punish those who betrayed us.

"...

"All lights are green. Give a ready report, and go weapons hot."

username/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
First update will be Sunday, I couldn't finish some of the sprite work due to carpal tunnel issues. We're very nearly ready.

• Locked thread