Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Jennifer's Body is miles ahead of it.

Oh right, in terms of top of the heap I'll agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I highly doubt that.

Cabin in the Woods is goddamn amazing - esp. if you go in blind not knowing the "twist".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Vintersorg posted:

I highly doubt that.

Cabin in the Woods is goddamn amazing - esp. if you go in blind not knowing the "twist".

I don't like CitW very much. It was extremely fun on first watch, but rewatches have left me cold on it.

e: whereas if Jennifer's Body is on FX or w/e I'll stop surfing and watch it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Wandle Cax posted:

Also Slither, Fright Night, Drag me to Hell

Shame we'll never get a proper follow-up to Fright Night.

:rip: Anton Yelchin.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Shame we'll never get a proper follow-up to Fright Night.

:rip: Anton Yelchin.

Not only that, but the sequel to the original Fright Night was by all accounts a bad movie that ignored almost every story development in the first.

Another Anton Yelchin movie I'm sad I will never see a sequel of is Odd Thomas.

edit:
You know someone out there is upset about this Black Panther TV spot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSAgLsrZG2Q

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 16, 2018

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

The MSJ posted:

edit:
You know someone out there is upset about this Black Panther TV spot.

I suppose not knowing why is good, but that seems like the usual inoffensive marvel fare.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vintersorg posted:

I highly doubt that.

You mean the twist that they put in the trailer, and is given away within the first 30 minutes of the movie?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

You mean the twist that they put in the trailer, and is given away within the first 30 minutes of the movie?

The opening credit design of sacrifices and horror movie archetypes instantly ruined the twist for me and I almost bailed altogether, but then the first scene with Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins, especially the main title jump scare, 100% sold me back on the film and it remains one of my favorite movies of the last 10 years.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

married but discreet posted:

I suppose not knowing why is good, but that seems like the usual inoffensive marvel fare.

Spear-wielding African warrior woman calling guns "primitive".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jedit posted:

Yah, that’s called “going in blind” doofus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They play trailers in front of movies. So unless you like waiting outside or being a weirdo who closes their eyes and ears to trailers then sometimes you can’t ignore them.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

CelticPredator posted:

They play trailers in front of movies. So unless you like waiting outside or being a weirdo who closes their eyes and ears to trailers then sometimes you can’t ignore them.

They do? They've been showing mainly phone and car ads before films in NZ. It's horrible.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s pretty easy for anyone to go blind into a movie. It’s not a magic feat.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

They do? They've been showing mainly phone and car ads before films in NZ. It's horrible.

What cinemas do you go to because I've seen 3-5 trailers in front of everything, and that's after those horrible local ads

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

It’s pretty easy for anyone to go blind into a movie. It’s not a magic feat.

It’s quite easy also to not go in blind without clicking a link to a trailer.

Like, maybe I’d like to go in to Alpha blind so I didn’t have to watch the trailer before every single movie I see

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Not only that, but the sequel to the original Fright Night was by all accounts a bad movie that ignored almost every story development in the first.

I love the sequel to the original Fright Night. The new evil vampire had a bunch of evil henchmen (another vampire, a werewolf and a ghoul/Renfield) who did the usual evil henchmen stuff and murdered people and all that but halfway through the film they go "gently caress it, let's go bowling" and so this scene happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfWMd0jlOg
Monster bowling :haw:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never got to that part because the movie was so boring and not funny or charming like the original so I turned it off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vintersorg posted:

Yah, that’s called “going in blind” doofus.

The twist was also on several of the posters. Tell me, oh great genius, how is one meant to avoid a "twist" that is put front and centre on every form of advertising for the movie?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I saw CitW on Netflix and had heard good things about it so I went in blind and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was pretty good too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo - whats your beef? People can easily go into movies blind without seeing poo poo.

Yeah, I can bring up a bunch of crap that someone MAY see. But I am arguing the movie is better going in without seeing anything.

"Wellllll actually you see there was a advertisement in the newspaper - AND THERE THEY ARE RUINED"

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I didn't know the twist going in (but had heard there WAS one) - which posters spoiled it?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Jedit posted:

The twist was also on several of the posters. Tell me, oh great genius, how is one meant to avoid a "twist" that is put front and centre on every form of advertising for the movie?

Yeah, that rubik's cube poster spoiled it all.

I go into most movies blind, "Cabin in the Woods" was one of them. It's not that hard.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This is a really stupid argument to be having in this thread of all threads

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Tomorrow I am going to go see FILM

I do not know the title, genre, runtime, rating, or any details about FILM

I will be kept in a sensory deprivation hood until the moment the trailers end and FILM begins

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean, I work in movie advertising and I went in to Cabin in the Woods blind and couldn't believe they had the balls to go there.

It helps when you are constantly late to movies I guess.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

ALFbrot posted:

I will be kept in a sensory deprivation hood until the moment the trailers end and FILM begins

This sounds like a really good time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

This sounds like a really good time.

Curtains come up and monkey's paw curls...

"Now please enjoy JUNGLE 2 JUNGLE".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ALFbrot posted:

:lol:

I CONSUME ALL MEDIA AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO DONT

E: Is it so hard to understand people go, "Hey, new horror movie - ok lets check that out"

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 16, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

E: Is it so hard to understand people go, "Hey, new horror movie - ok lets check that out"

I mean, a large percentage of moviegoers arrive at the theater without knowing what they're going to see. That's absolutely insane to me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Or even Netflix. Or downloading. Or VHS stores.

But not gonna pursue since mods getting mad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, a large percentage of moviegoers arrive at the theater without knowing what they're going to see. That's absolutely insane to me.

In the world of Unlimited cards that's not too surprising. What I don't get is people who pay to turn up to a random film then leave half way through because they don't like it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
moviepass means sometimes ill see a movie specifically because i dont even recognize the title

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just can't understand valuing my time so little. "Huh, there's only lovely movies here. Guess I'll have to spend 2 hours of my life watching something that looks bad."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

I just can't understand valuing my time so little. "Huh, there's only lovely movies here. Guess I'll have to spend 2 hours of my life watching something that looks bad."

Then you get the one in a million that looks like nothing but changes your life.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Some of us aren't going to live long enough for one-in-a-million shots to pay off given a two hour investment for each attempt.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

I CONSUME ALL MEDIA AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO DONT

I've seen a movie blind, so I'm actually on your side, I just thought it was a funny conversation.

(Some friends asked me if I wanted to go to a movie a long time ago, and I said sure, and we went to a showing of The Bourne Identity, which I'd managed to never even hear of)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I rented Cabin in the Woods knowing nothing other than I overheard a friend say it was good.

I'm glad I was completely unspoiled.

That's my story.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

i had never heard of A Perfect Getaway before i walked in the theater and thats one of the best movie experiences ive ever had

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

scary ghost dog posted:

i had never heard of A Perfect Getaway before i walked in the theater and thats one of the best movie experiences ive ever had

Mad underrated movie. Love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

feedmyleg posted:

When were you born? This has often been a generational difference in my experience.

• Locked thread