Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

A few people at work were arguing over what generation is what, and who a snake person is, and someone asked what the generation prior to the Baby Boomers was called. I leaned forward and said "the greatest generation" and now everyone is laughing at me for being an idiot, but I think that's the right answer and the rest of my coworkers are the idiots

You are correct, Tom Brokaw wrote a book about them. And they're called that because they killed a lot of Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SHOAH NUFF posted:

A few people at work were arguing over what generation is what, and who a millennial is, and someone asked what the generation prior to the Baby Boomers was called. I leaned forward and said "the greatest generation" and now everyone is laughing at me for being an idiot, but I think that's the right answer and the rest of my coworkers are the idiots

You're right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I heard a snippet on the radio a day or two ago to the effect that Nancy Kerrigan is pretty unhappy with the Tonya movie, in as much as it is highly focused on making Harding a sympathetic figure, which Kerrigan feels is a distortion.

I haven't seen the film and don't know the details. I'll just say that while you're contemplating the dominant narrative (the wickedness of Harding) and how such narratives can be wildly misleading and terribly damaging to people (Harding was a victim); also contemplate further that we are naturally attracted to the subverting narrative (the victimhood of Harding) and how such narratives can be wildly misleading and terribly damaging to people (Kerrigan was a victim).

SHOAH NUFF posted:

A few people at work were arguing over what generation is what, and who a millennial is, and someone asked what the generation prior to the Baby Boomers was called. I leaned forward and said "the greatest generation" and now everyone is laughing at me for being an idiot, but I think that's the right answer and the rest of my coworkers are the idiots

You're right, although it's one of those extremely stupid generation-labels: really it's Tom Brokaw's book about that generation, but the title stuck. They're "the greatest" for growing up through the Great Depression and then fighting WWII, the Good War Where We Were Unequivocally The Good Guys.

In reality, its just more "kids these days suck" wankery from a generation that suffered privation and felt nobody in the future could ever be as hard put-upon as they, nor as wise, nor as capable, because look at how much easier everyone has it now. We'll just conveniently ignore the mountains of terrible poo poo this generation heaped upon America, from literal war crimes, to the perpetuation of jim crow and segregation.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^ Ya'll are also wrong.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Sorry buddy, it's the Silent Generation then the Greatest.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

^^^ Ya'll are also wrong.

Sorry buddy, it's the Silent Generation then the Greatest.

They're the same. Silent Generation isn't in as common use I don't think, but they're both referring to the people born in the 1920s: those are the people who were serving in the armed forces or working in the factories in the mid 1940s.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I heard a snippet on the radio a day or two ago to the effect that Nancy Kerrigan is pretty unhappy with the Tonya movie, in as much as it is highly focused on making Harding a sympathetic figure, which Kerrigan feels is a distortion.

I haven't seen the film and don't know the details. I'll just say that while you're contemplating the dominant narrative (the wickedness of Harding) and how such narratives can be wildly misleading and terribly damaging to people (Harding was a victim); also contemplate further that we are naturally attracted to the subverting narrative (the victimhood of Harding) and how such narratives can be wildly misleading and terribly damaging to people (Kerrigan was a victim).

Kerrigan and Harding can both be victims but in different ways.

Kerrigan by ya know, having some fake bodyguard ordering a hit on her and getting clubbed with a blackjack.

Harding by being constantly abused by her mother/husband, and then having that same husband take something into his own hands that he had no business doing, thereby ruining her career/life. Also she still was in on them sending threatening letters to Kerrigan, so she's not completely innocent, but rather you can understand what happened to her and feel sadness about it.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 16, 2018

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I just walked back over to them and told them about Tom Brokaws book and Nazis and now I am respected

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Illegal Hen

I wanna see Donnie's 40 time.

In other news either the gas to my house is conked or my hot water heater took a poo poo. Nothing I like more than spending money on a house I'm not going to be living in for a while.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

axeil posted:

Kerrigan and Harding can both be victims but in different ways.

Exactly: but also, the movie about Harding may not be 100% honest, either. If we're recognizing that the media frenzy about the event at the time may have unfairly demonized Harding, we should equally recognize that the attention being given to this film and the story it's telling now, may also be unfair, in the other direction.

The correct lesson to be learned, of course, is that we do not get a complete, full, accurate and fair picture of these kinds of things. Not from the media, not from alternate media, not from the tell-all book, and not from the documentary made 20 years later. We just never get the whole picture, and that means maybe don't key Tonya Harding's car, but maybe also don't totally buy into the idea that Harding bears little or no responsibility for the attack that ruined Kerrigan's shot at the Olympics. Because we really just don't know the truth of that matter.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

They're the same. Silent Generation isn't in as common use I don't think, but they're both referring to the people born in the 1920s: those are the people who were serving in the armed forces or working in the factories in the mid 1940s.

Nah friend. The Silent generation are those born after 1925(?) while the greatest are those born between 25-14 or something like that. Basically the silent generation is composed of all those too young to serve in WWII but too old to have been born to those who did.

E:

It's all made up nonsense but if we're going to adhere to the made up nonsense the Silent Generation is a thing.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 16, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I wanna see Donnie's 40 time.

In other news either the gas to my house is conked or my hot water heater took a poo poo. Nothing I like more than spending money on a house I'm not going to be living in for a while.

I juuuust dealt with this. If it's the hot water heater, there's a good chance that all that's wrong is the thermocouple that checks whether the pilot light is on has failed and needs to be replaced. If you own a screwdriver you can do this yourself.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Nah friend. The Silent generation are those born after 1925(?) while the greatest are those born between 25-14 or something like that. Basically the silent generation is composed of all those too young to serve in WWII but too old to have been born to those who did.
Ehhh. Wikipedia sort of doesn't agree with you. Look at the sidebar on the right: they don't show the Greatest Generation at all, they show the Silent Generation and then Baby Boomers. Brokaw's Greatest Generation are, explicitly, the Americans who fought in WWII: and when they returned home after the war, their legendary fecundity led to the huge Baby Boom.

Although in that same article:

quote:

They have also been named the "Lucky Few" in the 2008 book The Lucky Few: Between the Greatest Generation and the Baby Boom,[5][6] by Elwood D. Carlson PhD, the Charles B. Nam Professor in Sociology of Population at Florida State University.[7] Carlson notes that this was the first generation in American history to be smaller than the generation that preceded them. He calls the people of this generation "The Lucky Few" because even though they were born during the Great Depression and World War II, they moved into adulthood during the relatively prosperous 1950s and early 1960s.

But this doesn't really hold water, does it? There are no official dates for any of this, but the Baby Boomers are typically understood as being born from the mid 1940s (when GIs returned home from the war and got busy making lots of babies, coinciding with a dramatic drop in infant mortality); and the Greatest Generation are, explicitly, the men (and a few women) who fought WWII. How can you have a generation in between them?

I think the answer is that "the greatest generation" is a correct answer to "who came just before the baby boomers" but "the Lucky Few" or "the Silent Generation" are also not-wrong answers, but these three terms all clearly overlap to at least some extent.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 16, 2018

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
lol I wasn't even as fat as Fat Donnie when I was 230 and he has 4 inches on me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spoeank posted:

lol I wasn't even as fat as Fat Donnie when I was 230 and he has 4 inches on me

dude probably has the musculature of a leukemia patient

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Illegal Hen
Yeah I replaced that a couple years ago, but to be honest the whole unit itself is over 10 years old. The thing is that my gas fireplace is also out, though that's been KIA for a while now anyway.

RE: generation chat... I like how there's this huge beef between Baby Boomers & Millennials, while Gen X is like :shrug: .

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

I thought The Silent Generation (who I forgot about, but had heard of) were the people too young to fight in WWII, born in the late 20's-40's?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure they're lying about Trump's weight. He looks more like 270 to me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

seiferguy posted:

I'm pretty sure they're lying about Trump's weight. He looks more like 270 to me.

I could buy it is he straight up has next to no muscle mass

Like, he would need to be pushing 50-60% body fat for it work

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The Trump Administration lying? No way...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I thought The Silent Generation (who I forgot about, but had heard of) were the people too young to fight in WWII, born in the late 20's-40's?

If you like, sure. But the question is, who came immediately before the Baby Boomers: and since the Greatest Generation are, explicitly, the men who fought in WWII, they were clearly the parents of children born during the Baby Boom:

quote:

demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1940s and ending birth years ranging from 1960 to 1964

So they must overlap, even if you care to separate out as a different category, the people born a few years too late to have served; those people born in the late 20s-40s were having kids in the 1950s and 1960s.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Exactly: but also, the movie about Harding may not be 100% honest, either. If we're recognizing that the media frenzy about the event at the time may have unfairly demonized Harding, we should equally recognize that the attention being given to this film and the story it's telling now, may also be unfair, in the other direction.

The correct lesson to be learned, of course, is that we do not get a complete, full, accurate and fair picture of these kinds of things. Not from the media, not from alternate media, not from the tell-all book, and not from the documentary made 20 years later. We just never get the whole picture, and that means maybe don't key Tonya Harding's car, but maybe also don't totally buy into the idea that Harding bears little or no responsibility for the attack that ruined Kerrigan's shot at the Olympics. Because we really just don't know the truth of that matter.

This is A Good Take, I agree.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Did bitcoin crash or something because the top post on r/bitcoin is a link to a suicide hotline

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
As someone who's 6'3 and has been 220 once at my chubbiest, that motherfucker is pushing 300.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Heading back to the sick house y'all.

Dunno how much longer my immune system can do this.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The greatest generation birthed the Baby boomers but the Silent generation falls between the two on a chronological timeline. Why are we talking about this again?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Silent generation should be all white people born after 1900

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I could buy it is he straight up has next to no muscle mass

Like, he would need to be pushing 50-60% body fat for it work

"I HAVE VERY STRONG AND MUSCULAR THIGHS THANK YOU VERY MUCH" - every fat person ever

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm picturing an assassination attempt on Trump and suddenly a half dozen SS agents are trying to haul that lumpy tub of pudding around and it's hilarious.

How many agents do you think they had to add to the "make a big meat shield over the president" move for active shooters?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

Did bitcoin crash or something because the top post on r/bitcoin is a link to a suicide hotline

actually,

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the winklevoss twins are going to buy all of the bitcoin

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

"tulips, you say? to the moon, you say?" - some dutch loser

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Silent generation should be all white people born after 1900

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my uncle has 4 mice plugged into his computer. 1 left hand, 1 right hand, trackball, cad explorer thing that is sort of a mouse

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Whoever started calling Trump weight truthers "girthers" is good.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Shot:

Chaser

chaser

chaser

chaser

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Blitz7x posted:

Shot:

Chaser

chaser

chaser

chaser

Yesssssssssssssss....don't stop....don't stop....I'm almooooossstt therrrrreeeeeeeee...!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

everyone in this thread gets one gooncoin (GCN). Through sheer power of stupidity and delusion, we will all be rich for one fleeting moment

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/a_lolbrarian/status/952346115277574145

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/953402067695095808

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 17, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
loving hard as a rod over here from the bit coin collapse but on the phone at work. What’s the graph say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

pubic works project posted:

Yesssssssssssssss....don't stop....don't stop....I'm almooooossstt therrrrreeeeeeeee...!