Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
TBH I'd expect tons of people to have switched from PUBG to fortnite. Most new players' experience of PUBG is getting shot over and over and over and over by people they never saw after 10 minutes of looting or getting ambushed by campers with shotguns. Once they're a little better the experience is the same, but now they realize that they're also getting wrecked by hackers regularly, too. Like if you are minimally not a complete potato you end up in the top few percent of PUBG players.

LIterally every PUBG forum/subreddit is non-stop 'game is over-run by blatant hackers' posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I don't think we'll see a mass exodus from a semi-realistic shooter (PUBG) to a cartoonish one (Fortnite).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Herstory Begins Now posted:

TBH I'd expect tons of people to have switched from PUBG to fortnite. Most new players' experience of PUBG is getting shot over and over and over and over by people they never saw after 10 minutes of looting or getting ambushed by campers with shotguns. Once they're a little better the experience is the same, but now they realize that they're also getting wrecked by hackers regularly, too. Like if you are minimally not a complete potato you end up in the top few percent of PUBG players.

LIterally every PUBG forum/subreddit is non-stop 'game is over-run by blatant hackers' posts.

Unless you're not retarded and play fpp.

I'll admit that my solo experience is a lot less fun now that I'm in the top 4. something percent but still, playing fpp for over 40 hours since 1.0 release and have seen someone I truly suspected of hacking once or twice.

Why people still insist on playing tpp at this point is beyond me.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I don't think we'll see a mass exodus from a semi-realistic shooter (PUBG) to a cartoonish one (Fortnite).

I'm pretty sure we already did, but PUBG is still so massively popular that it won't really impact your gameplay experience in any meaningful way

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is there a particular reason why hacking is apparently so much more common in FPP than TPP? Is it just that the latter is more populated?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Perestroika posted:

Is there a particular reason why hacking is apparently so much more common in FPP than TPP? Is it just that the latter is more populated?

A little bit of that, but also probably because being able to scan 360 degrees without revealing yourself gives you an advantage even on top of the hacking. If you're a big time hacker hacking away, why would you want to play on a server where there's still a good chance someone you couldn't see manages to kill you easily?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Maybe hackers and people who play TPP have something in common

like being dumb idiot babies!!!!! :smugdog:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Why people still insist on playing tpp at this point is beyond me.

There are definitely some folks around who are oddly attached to TPP, suggesting they play FPP usually just makes them annoyed or angry and they drop group.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Space Skeleton posted:

There are definitely some folks around who are oddly attached to TPP, suggesting they play FPP usually just makes them annoyed or angry and they drop group.

There's people that like Nickelback, too. :shrug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've been playing TPP most of the time since I seem to do better but I'll give it up permanently if it decreases the chances of being owned by hacks

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

isn't the more hackers in tpp because chinese are bad at actual shooters so they're all on tpp.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Space Skeleton posted:

I am the opposite. I would drop from a group playing TPP. I refuse to play it. I actually only bought the game when FPP came out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

I've been playing TPP most of the time since I seem to do better but I'll give it up permanently if it decreases the chances of being owned by hacks

A man does better in a mode that provides players with invincible God's eye to peruse, experts are baffled.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I am the opposite. I would drop from a group playing TPP. I refuse to play it. I actually only bought the game when FPP came out.

Kinda same. Bought on release, and if one my designated TPP friend raises to stink he can just go touch himself or whatever, I'm not playing this stupidity even with friends.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

You wrote it the other way around than it is currently is but basically:

When you move, your accuracy blooms in third person (crosshair gets larger).
Third person firing is less accurate by design even without moving. (this changed within the first couple months of EA, previously you had 1:1 accuracy in TPP/FPP)
Aimbots hackers use remove both of these restrictions.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Tpp is a mess because that's where the Chinese play, who have a much higher concentration of hackers than any other region

Also they play on lovely connections with a bunch of latency that also gives them an advantage

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
high latency...gives an advantage?

i'm fondly remembering the days of dial up quake world where we complained endlessly about the very few players who had DSL having an advantage

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm fondly remembering the days of dial up quake world where we complained endlessly about the very few players who had DSL having an advantage

Quake had server-side coding. Half-Life was the first client-side game I played, and it definitely favored players with higher pings. PUBG is very heavily client-side.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

BraveUlysses posted:

I want to say, based purely on feels, that it gives an advantage if you're charging into a room, a disadvantage if you are camping.

The times I've tried to ambush someone always seem to fail.

If they're lagging and charging in then you won't know about it until they've been looking at you on their screen for at least 300-500ms.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Exactly how accurate do you have to be in this game? Every time I watch YouTube videos of players their aim looks to be all over the place, but it’s headshots erry’day. In many cases the aim doesn’t match what you’d be doing if you were leading the shot or otherwise adjusting for something.

What am I missing?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

It's up for debate whether it gives an advantage, generally it feels like it does though, as another poster mentioned it's most noticeable when the lower latency person is not moving (i.e aiming) while the higher latency is moving around, especially in a rush scenario. The dude that's lagging gets to see you early and it's hard as poo poo to aim at someone when the movement is jerkin' around the place. if you go play on an asian server you should notice it feels a lot different

Dangerllama posted:

Exactly how accurate do you have to be in this game? Every time I watch YouTube videos of players their aim looks to be all over the place, but it’s headshots erry’day. In many cases the aim doesn’t match what you’d be doing if you were leading the shot or otherwise adjusting for something.

What am I missing?

Spray control is way more important in PUBG than head-clickin' ability, PUBG demands pretty much pinpoint accuracy with all it's weapons but it's also very relaxed on recoil so good players are distinguished by their ability to send a lot of bullets in the direction of the enemy rather than how well they can place the first couple of shots.

It's a bit like the opposite of CSGO, which generally involves big, soft targets but extremely inaccurate weapons. PUBG involves small, sturdy targets but extremely accurate weapons.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CS:GO targets can comparatively small and weapons are extremely accurate. There are predefined recoil patterns with minimal variance for everything and with some practice you can lay a full mag spray into a helmet.

PUBG weapons are definitely less accurate on a spray, but existence of scopes for most things does make it more feasible to execute long range precision shots.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Csgo guns hace 0 rng recoil dont they

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

abigserve posted:

Spray control is way more important in PUBG than head-clickin' ability, PUBG demands pretty much pinpoint accuracy with all it's weapons but it's also very relaxed on recoil so good players are distinguished by their ability to send a lot of bullets in the direction of the enemy rather than how well they can place the first couple of shots.

It's a bit like the opposite of CSGO, which generally involves big, soft targets but extremely inaccurate weapons. PUBG involves small, sturdy targets but extremely accurate weapons.

Idk, all the mainstay weapons in CSGO can probably be way more accurate than the more realistic PUBG equivalents if you just use proper spray control. The only real difference between cs sprays and pubg sprays is that all cs sprays follow a preset pattern that you need to hammer into your muscle memory rather than the more common approach of just pulling straight down

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

underage at the vape shop posted:

Csgo guns hace 0 rng recoil dont they

There is mostly negligible random deviation for each shot on automatic guns. The recoil patterns have static shape and size, but the bullets have some form of inverse power law probability relation for the actual shot deviating from the ideal. For most practical purposes this variance is nil unless you are trying to spray down de_dust2 A bombsite barrel top from the pit or something.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a point in using the Aim function in FPP? Is it more accurate than regular hipfiring?

(what I mean is hipfiring while "Aiming" with right click, not ADS)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i believe shotguns have the same accuracy whether holding right click or ADSing.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Idk, all the mainstay weapons in CSGO can probably be way more accurate than the more realistic PUBG equivalents if you just use proper spray control. The only real difference between cs sprays and pubg sprays is that all cs sprays follow a preset pattern that you need to hammer into your muscle memory rather than the more common approach of just pulling straight down

this is true but realistically most players aren't going to be able to perform that spray control perfectly, even the best of the best can't and I feel (I could be wrong) that they have a lot more leeway due to the size of targets in CS versus pubg.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elman posted:

Is there a point in using the Aim function in FPP? Is it more accurate than regular hipfiring?

(what I mean is hipfiring while "Aiming" with right click, not ADS)

The only situations when you zoom-hipfire is when enemy model is at least half of your screen in height and you have a shotgun or an automatic weapon with a large mag, and it is the only enemy nearby. In all other cases ADS.

Regular hipfire has lower accuracy than aimed hipfire, at least for anything that isn't a shotgun.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Currently more people are watching fortnite on twitch than PUBG #deadgame

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

abigserve posted:

this is true but realistically most players aren't going to be able to perform that spray control perfectly, even the best of the best can't and I feel (I could be wrong) that they have a lot more leeway due to the size of targets in CS versus pubg.

You don't need perfect spray control, you only need first couple of bullets - which is a straight line on almost all weapons. Long range PUBG fights have no equivalent in CS, but city fights in my.expetience have target sizes similar to CS.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Currently more people are watching fortnite on twitch than PUBG #deadgame

it can't really be stressed how severe the hacking has affected the larger pubg community, out of our squad of like 6 regulars only two of us are still playing because we switched to FPP and the other guys didn't like TPP but also couldn't handle the hacking.

Hell I almost quit as well until I learned to enjoy FPP but I think it's hit boiling point

edit: also yeah fortnite sucks so I doubt the pubg players are going there

abigserve fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 17, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I tried Fortnite yesterday and had to sit through a 9 minutes long login queue.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fortnight is fun but man the toony aspect really turns me off compared to the gritty realism of being killed by a shrinking blue forcefield.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Fortnight is fun but man the toony aspect really turns me off compared to the gritty realism of being killed by a shrinking blue forcefield.

The pace and generally “loose” feel, or I guess yeah cartoony feel of running and jumping around is really jarring coming from pubg too. It honestly feels way simpler and more action oriented, which takes the tension level of running into enemies down imo

I played it a bit, and it may be battle royale, but fortnite and pubg aren’t even in the same league for me

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
How's the overall jankiness/lag in Fortnight though? Whenever I play PUBG I miss the tightness/responsiveness of CS:GO (even though the style of game is much different and there's no chance in hell the engine could handle everything to that scale).

PUBG just feels really amateur/cheap in comparison.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Wowie. 120 people arrested for developing cheats in China:

https://dotesports.com/pubg/news/pubg-tencent-hackers-120-arrests-more-20246

Bloomberg link:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-16/tencent-cracks-down-on-cheats-in-world-s-top-selling-video-game

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 17, 2018

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

ILL Machina posted:

Wowie. 120 people arrested for developing cheats in China:

Cheats can certainly ruin a game, but I don't know if I can get behind actually arresting the people that make them. Fine them, sure, but prison time for writing some code is hosed up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

aborn posted:

Cheats can certainly ruin a game, but I don't know if I can get behind actually arresting the people that make them. Fine them, sure, but prison time for writing some code is hosed up.

I mean if you gently caress with a multi billion dollar gaming industry, what do you expect to happen.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I can believe the pinpoint accuracy thing, I can have my reticle right on someone and still miss half the shots. Then I watch my deathcam and the guy I was shooting at was making the same shots at the same speed I was and hit every single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

AppleDan posted:

I can believe the pinpoint accuracy thing, I can have my reticle right on someone and still miss half the shots. Then I watch my deathcam and the guy I was shooting at was making the same shots at the same speed I was and hit every single one.

The bullets are on point but the hitreg and anti trading are not