Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
"We're not here to identify local bottoms" :tutbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

looks like it'll be a good time to buy a lightly used lambo in a couple of months

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
How often does the "dead cat bounce" actually work and stabilize the price?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

CNBC posted:

Bitcoin briefly tumbled more than 25 percent to a low of $10,242 on Coinbase. The digital currency was trading near $10,850 late Tuesday afternoon.

Top story on CNBC, they can't even keep up and everyone isn't like "OK, this is nuts, I should not be "investing" in this."

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

WalletBeef posted:

Up 8% in a matter of minutes after tether printed 100m of USDT. These are totally unrelated events. Do not look behind the curtain.

Are you saying the shady unregulated exchanges decided to emergency pump in $100 mil into the price of Bitcoin out of thin air like a failing economy does by printing money? What about the libertarian ideals and the gold standard!

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

:thunk:

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

WalletBeef posted:

Up 8% in a matter of minutes after tether printed 100m of USDT. These are totally unrelated events. Do not look behind the curtain.

For the buttcoin layman what does tether printing mean?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Delthalaz posted:

How often does the "dead cat bounce" actually work and stabilize the price?

Never.

By definition a dead cat bounce is a small, brief recovery in the overall decline.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

deadwing posted:

looks like it'll be a good time to buy a lightly used lambo in a couple of months

i was thinking the same thing lmao

also: big rubba band bidness holy!!!! :o

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Three Olives posted:

$800 price swing in less than 10 minutes, lol.

Normal currency

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

OhFunny posted:

Never.

By definition a dead cat bounce is a small, brief recovery in the overall decline.

Ah ok. Well the sudden infusion of currency is boosting this drat thing past 11,000

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Not That Into You posted:

You know how bitcoin evangelists are super mad at how the U.S. dollar is a worthless currency because the gov't can just print more whenever it wants to and it's not backed by real gold in a vault? With bitcoin, they somehow managed to design something even worse than that. Now the printing is done by a shady unregulated overseas company with a promise that it's all backed by a bank account that no one has ever seen.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 16, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

booo i wanted under 10000

edit: this dudes voice fuckin sucks!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Up up up! Well this isn't fun to watch.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Delthalaz posted:

Ah ok. Well the sudden infusion of currency is boosting this drat thing past 11,000

i dont even want to know how much it took to pump it in actual spendable money

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Delthalaz posted:

Up up up! Well this isn't fun to watch.

They just pumped $100 mil of fake money into this so yeah it's gonna go up for a while on the bids.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Its an imaginary currency just like the dollar, but its printed at will by the exchanges when the price of bitcoin falls. Supposedly each tether can be redeemed for 1 dollar. The exchanges use tether to buy bitcoins and drive the nominal price up during a crash. You can totally redeem your tether dollars for real dollars. Totally. ;)

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Bloomberg article detailing Tether Totally Backed By A Tiny Polish Mutual Fund Honest Guv
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-05/mystery-shrouds-tether-and-its-links-to-biggest-bitcoin-exchange

Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tether_(cryptocurrency)

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Rad Russian posted:

They just pumped $100 mil of fake money into this so yeah it's gonna go up for a while on the bids.

Who the hell is doing this?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ok the bounce is petering out, now it gets interesting

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

WalletBeef posted:

Its an imaginary currency just like the dollar, but its printed at will by the exchanges when the price of bitcoin falls. Supposedly each tether can be redeemed for 1 dollar. The exchanges use tether to buy bitcoins and drive the nominal price up during a crash. You can totally redeem your tether dollars for real dollars. Totally. ;)

that doesn't even remotely make sense

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

It's fighting a ceiling at 11k. Just saw someone dump 21 coins at once.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Zelder posted:

booo i wanted under 10000

edit: this dudes voice fuckin sucks!

Give it another hour. Tether was printed, and it was just extremely overbought.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

shiksa posted:

welcome to bitcoin

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
12 hours ago the 24 hour volume for bitcoin on GDAX was at 25K BTC, it is now at 59K.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I think it's safe to assume Vladimir Putin is invested in bitcoin.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7qu8t9/18002738255_us_national_suicide_hotline/

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

WalletBeef posted:

So it's like a central bank intervening to stop a stock crash.

Way to reinvent the wheel, but dumber.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

shiksa posted:

Just think of it like this. At the largest bitcoin exchanges, when you sell your bitcoin you can't sell it for dollars. You sell it for USDT, which is their own proprietary digital currency. Whether the exchange will cash those USDT out for actual dollars is the question we'll see answered over the next few days.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

There is a company that claims they have a billion dollars in the bank backing a cryptocurrancy that is pegged 1:1 with the USD. So you buy one for a dollar and then you can trade it like it's dollars.

This is theoretically actually a useful thing!

Of course, because this is loving bitcoin, the people in charge of Tether don't actually have audited financial records available and nobody can actually prove how much money is in the bank, except for their own listing on their website.

They just popped a hundred million dollars of totally real money into existance. It's fully backed. Trust them.

Even if this were completely legitimate, people are idiots for trusting it without any realistic sort of proof.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If this was an actual market, theyd have halted trading for a period.

:lol:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Andy Dufresne posted:

Just think of it like this. At the largest bitcoin exchanges, when you sell your bitcoin you can't sell it for dollars. You sell it for USDT, which is their own proprietary digital currency. Whether the exchange will cash those USDT out for actual dollars is the question we'll see answered over the next few days.

So that's a ponzi scheme. That's what that is.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/tether/ lol like hwo teh gently caress is this legal. 1.64 billion of FAKE US DOLLARS pumping up the price of Bitcoin that many people pay real dollars for.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

"And this isn't an actual crash. It is a healthy correction"

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/tether/ lol like hwo teh gently caress is this legal. 1.64 billion of FAKE US DOLLARS pumping up the price of Bitcoin that many people pay real dollars for.

:bitcoin:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wtf is this

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Andy Dufresne posted:

Just think of it like this. At the largest bitcoin exchanges, when you sell your bitcoin you can't sell it for dollars.

A slight correction: At one bitcoin exchange, called Bitfinex

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Alpha Mayo posted:

America is really bad at financial regulations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

Wtf is this

i'm the people cheering on the manipulation of the market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

Wtf is this

Oh they "printed" 100mil of fake money to prop up the price of bitcoin.