Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

Wtf is this

Someone wrote "I promise this is worth $11,000" on a piece of paper and convinced someone to give them one bitcoin for it, and they did it 9,090 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Lol the bitcoin suicide hotline post is top 5 on r/all.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Ham Sandwiches posted:

A slight correction: At one bitcoin exchange, called Bitfinex

I haven't touched the poop so all I can go off of is Wikipedia and /r/bitcoin, but one source indicates "several" and the other says "most". As far as US based non-tether exchanges, I thought Kraken was pretty much it?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Printing tether will accelerate the crash. It'll cause a run on the "equity". At least that's what should happen.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

My mother in law asked me, a millennial, what I thought of Bitcoin, and when I started laughing, the look of relief on her face was palpable.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Andy Dufresne posted:

I haven't touched the poop so all I can go off of is Wikipedia and /r/bitcoin, but one source indicates "several" and the other says "most". As far as US based non-tether exchanges, I thought Kraken was pretty much it?

Gdax (Coinbase) and Gemini are US based non-tether exchanges, and they are the largest exchanges too

It's Bitfinex that prints the tethers though, they bought the company that came up with it and run the scam.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Andy Dufresne posted:

Coinbase is US-based and doesn't use tether, you cash out there in good ol' US dolores

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Alright then I stand corrected

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

wilderthanmild posted:

Lol the bitcoin suicide hotline post is top 5 on r/all.

quote:

Two things. I need the number in Canada ,and two, it's not for me....more for my wife, so they can talk her out of killing me

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Andy Dufresne posted:

Alright then I stand corrected

It's all good and Bitfinex is scammy as gently caress, I still suggest people stay far away

everything to do with Tether is beyond idiotic

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Bitconnect just announced they’re shutting down their Ponzi scheme. They’re being nice about it though, the people who “invested” will get their BCC tokens back, calculated by dividing the dollar value of the hodlers account by the fifteen-day average price of the BCC token. They can resell them on the open market where they are currently traded at a >90% discount.

Some genius scammers in the crypto space.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
They are all rubes now

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I'm not clear on how these exchanges work, but increasing the Tether supply could actually be legitimate. If they've got a bunch of people exiting the market and trying to withdraw things in the form of Tether (is that a thing?) and pull it from the exchange, then the exchanges might not have enough supply of it on hand to actually cash them out. They may have the money in an account, but not in the form of Tether. So they're creating more Tether to fill that need by putting more money into it and creating more tokens.

That would make sense and be completely legit.

Of course, this is bitcoin, so the dollars were probably all stolen six months ago.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Gdax (Coinbase) and Gemini are US based non-tether exchanges, and they are the largest exchanges too

It's Bitfinex that prints the tethers though, they bought the company that came up with it and run the scam.

Are all exchanges entirely independent? If they're independent then there would be theoretical arbitrage. If they are not, then printing tether to support the "asset" would affect other exchanges.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's all good and Bitfinex is scammy as gently caress, I still suggest people stay far away

Where is your money at? I want to follow a leader!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
If there are two pawn shops buying gold and it's $10K an ounce, and one of them is super shady, prints fake money, and says they will now buy gold at $15K an ounce. The other pawn shop will have to up its price too even though it's using real money. It's an open competitive market. Tether has enough market cap to crash all of bitcoin if they run away with it whether your exchange uses tether or not. The whole thing is really stupid.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Oscar Wild posted:

Are all exchanges entirely independent? If they're independent then there would be theoretical arbitrage. If they are not, then printing tether to support the "asset" would affect other exchanges.

Yep you get it, they operate independently, arbitrage is a topic that comes up periodically when the differences become pronounced

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-cryptocurrency-arbitrage-2017-11

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
"The cryptocurrency is having a major crash right now in January 2018. In this video I explain why you should buy the three major crypto currencies. Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum are all plunging and you should buy right now. This bitcoin crash will not last long. Invest all your money right now when these cryptocurrency are on sale. You will make alot of money i promise. This January crypto crash will not last long. Ride the wave."

Dont just hodl, buy more

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I don't understand this tether thing and how anyone can possibly rely on it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

In theory arbitrage is possible. Practically, transactions take so long that arbitrage is usually barely worth it, if not impossible.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm gonna buy in when it reaches 1 USD. Then, in ten years, I will be a millionaire.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

mike12345 posted:

I'm gonna buy in when it reaches 1 USD. Then, in a million years, I will be a dead.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/953398351889944576

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yep you get it, they operate independently, arbitrage is a topic that comes up periodically when the differences become pronounced

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-cryptocurrency-arbitrage-2017-11

Holy poo poo. Well then, boys. Welcome to a new opportunity. I'm selling discount bitcoins at $8,000 USD for 1 BTC. Dont worry, it's backed by the full faith of my printed feather. I've just exposed 1,000 worth of BTC valued feather, from chewing through my monitor cord, so slots are limited.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So uh bitcoin owners are selling their bitcoins mid crash for a currency called "tether" that is also imaginary money but is created by a market, and the market values each tether at 1$?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

turn off the TV posted:

So uh bitcoin owners are selling their bitcoins mid crash for a currency called "tether" that is also imaginary money but is created by a market, and the market values each tether at 1$?

It's a good thing, and in no way a ponzi scheme waiting for fresh money to pay off the tether.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

Tether to the left of me
bitcoin to my right
here i am , stuck in the hodl with you

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
I told you guys Tether would come to save the day. As long as it’s there the music will keep playing. The real question now is how ridiculous the printing will get to support the price. Billions over the coming weeks is probably not unrealistic.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Oscar Wild posted:

It's a good thing, and in no way a ponzi scheme waiting for fresh money to pay off the tether.

You're right, because they have made it clear they never intend to pay it off, ever

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The question is how long until the tether printers own all the bitcoin

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The Glumslinger posted:

You're right, because they have made it clear they never intend to pay it off, ever

That's a lol.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

IS IT FINALLY CRASH TIME??

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Uncle Wemus posted:

IS IT FINALLY CRASH TIME??

Nah it's up up up past 11,500. Guess I wasted my time today watching for the crash.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was a wild ride up from $6000 but the ride down so far has been even toastier.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

turn off the TV posted:

No it's fine, because only Bitfinex is bad. In no way does circulating fake money into the pool of money from which all BTC to USD draw from cause a problem. This is fine. Just avoid the bad exchange. What me worry? No. HODL

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

So the other news that got lost in the crash today is that another bitcoin ponzi scheme called BitConnect unraveled today.

I'm shaky on the details, but from what I know the idea was that you would "lend" BitConnect your bitcoin for a certain number of days and they guaranteed 1% compounded interest per day. Their argument was that they were using proprietary trading bots to manipulate the market, but never mind the fact that if they could make that much why would they need your bitcoin.

They were offline for the last week and now they've come back and said "whoops, show's over. Here is this crypto currency BCC that you can have instead of the returns we promised you". There's no market for selling BCC so the original bitcoin investment is lost with nothing in return.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitconnect/

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
We're not backed by dirty government fiat but rather billions and billions of totally real money!

also, someone in my office said "god loving dammit" out loud and I'm secretly hoping that its Bitcoin related.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Reminder that on the Tether website, where you can buy tether, they literally say they won't let you sell tether for USD if they don't feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Oscar Wild posted:

Interestingly it actually has a good use now besides a long-term "ponzi" and then running away to the Caribbean. As we saw it can be used in real time to prevent a crash of the BTC price, which would cause and a run on the bank which, in turn, would expose tether as being air.