Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GunnerJ posted:

The weirdness here then is the idea of a singular hive mind having cultural norms to uphold or transgress.

You know that one guy who just wore the same outfit every day like a cartoon character? Like, it was clean, he had a ton of the same exact outfit?

It's that guy, but a few billion of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

The weirdness here then is the idea of a singular hive mind having cultural norms to uphold or transgress.

Maybe it’s nostalgic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GunnerJ posted:

Without knowing its effects it's hard to tell just from the name. But there could be so so many different types of hive minds. One that evolved from individual minds could still have some "culture" guiding things in the background. Robots that still have some core directives they've hung onto.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

He/she/it/they know what they like and see no reason to change.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Well, I mean. Its still "a" mind that can be influenced by others.

A regular hivemind might look at other races and think "what can I emulate that these creatures have?"

A traditional one is going to decide its ways are best and not study others unless an overwhelming need presents itself?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

You can't use that civic, but there's another way to unlock pop raiding as a machine empire.

Awesome. Thanks for making such a solid game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh hey also, are there any plans to make ethics attraction bonuses/penalties do anything at all for gestalt concsciousnesses?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was checking the wiki for this recently, and among other things, on the wiki I noticed the requirements for AI rights only needing you to not be Spiritualist. Did they change it from needing to be Materialist to not enslave robots, even if you were an Egalitarian Xenophile, again? Since I play Stellaris as more of a role-playing thing than anything, a patch making me unable to not enslave robots just because my empire wasn't aggressively atheist was inordinately annoying to me.

I need to catch up on the changes to this game in general. I haven't been paying attention for a while so there's been a lot.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GunnerJ posted:

Long ago, someone on these forums made a custom empire and backstory about a hive mind that evolved from a single humanoid female. Tradition would fit that well, especially if she kept celebrating Christmas or her birthday or whatever for no real reason.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Long ago, someone on these forums made a custom empire and backstory about a hive mind that evolved from a single humanoid female. Tradition would fit that well, especially if she kept celebrating Christmas or her birthday or whatever for no real reason.

I was just looking for this mod, I know it's been mentioned here before and cannot recall the name.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

It's the mod that has all the other whatever-number of ark ships Earth sent out as playable civilizations. One of them is just "Susan", a human lady hivemind. Pretty hilarious.

Honestly you might want to wait, it'll be a bit over a week tomorrow before 2.0 launches and the creator will probably have to update his mod to get it compatible.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm not even saying it's a bad idea, it's just got some weird implications as a trait of the species itself, like having a shell or eating a lot, when there's no real culture to speak of for a single individual mind controlling millions of bodies. I'm interested to see what it turns out to mean though.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

gowb posted:

Honestly you might want to wait, it'll be a bit over a week tomorrow before 2.0 launches and the creator will probably have to update his mod to get it compatible.

That's the 6th or 7th time you've made this joke and it's still not funny.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Jabarto posted:

It's almost like there's a reason why gowb is on the list of the top 50 or whatever most ignored users on SA

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's almost like there's a reason why gowb is on the list of the top 50 or whatever most ignored users on SA

Yeah and that 3 dong horse guy is right there with another half dozen attempts at the same horrible joke, maybe we can get back to discussing the game idk

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

deadly_pudding posted:

I see Saiyans are now in the game.

We also now have Grand Elder Guru in the "Drums of War" art. We just need Galactic Frieza Army leader portraits.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 16, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Stop falling for it then e: lol that it takes so much brainpower to read 1 sentence that you guys gotta bitch about it

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 16, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This update gets better every day. We even have Zuul now :allears:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

I liked playing Rogue Servitors, but it feels like the destroyers are getting all the love rather than the builders. Granted, I get that this is kind of the theme of this expansion, as opposed to Utopia, but I hope there's some room in this design space for some more builder/trade types.
I agree. Rogue Servitors are awesome because they're a cool gimmick that isn't about killing people in new and interesting ways. I'd be totally on board with more of that!

That said, I do really appreciate all these flavors of warmongers because they're all interesting to play against. I like having a really hostile aggressive galaxy while being a peaceful builder.

And I can't really think of a solid gimmick for "good guys" that needs a whole special civic type. Like overly zealous robots who want to take care of everyone and hardcore peaceful isolationists are the two I probably would come up with and we've already got those.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Stop falling for it then e: lol that it takes so much brainpower to read 1 sentence that you guys gotta bitch about it
It's just so baffling though. No one seems to be falling for it, and yet you guys keep going.

People do strange things on the internet.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

It happens every once in a while to the irregular thread visitors and also this is really Wiz's fault because I can't play this game anymore knowing that 2.0 is on the way

does it make it better when I don't add "in a week"? Because now it's exactly the same as everyone else's "I'm excited!" posts

I started a spiritualist game and will now spead The Cult of Cage across the known galaxy

Platonicsolid posted:

I was just looking for this mod, I know it's been mentioned here before and cannot recall the name.

I am phone posting but I will get that for you when I'm off """work""" later

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 16, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eiba posted:

It's just so baffling though. No one seems to be falling for it, and yet you guys keep going.

People do strange things on the internet.
Did you ever see a kid hear a joke and not get why it was funny and just keep repeating random bits of the joke over and over to feel like they're joining in?

It's that.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That's a good idea, if it's a 1 pointer I can slot that in in place of the normal human trait of nomadic since they disabled using nomadic with hive minds.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Jabarto posted:

ACTUALLY it's been hilarious every time and I'm going to keep posting it every time someone asks when this is coming out because it's a really lazy joke answer to a really lazy serious and stupid question that has been asked more times than I could possibly post.

I like inward perfection empires a lot, I think they're my favorite now. It's really fun trying to survive without full diplomacy and trying to expand without aggressive wars. Luckily there's always some jerkoff who thinks they can beat you since you're pacifists and then you can just cleanse the hell out of their planets.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GunnerJ posted:

eta: "Traditional" as a trait has some odd implications since that sounds more like a normal civic, but it's attached to a hive mind species.

Judging by the graphic, it's opposed to the "Quarrelsome" trait from the Platypus Swarm screenshot. Which definitely sounds like a -Unity trait.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

gowb posted:

It's the mod that has all the other whatever-number of ark ships Earth sent out as playable civilizations. One of them is just "Susan", a human lady hivemind. Pretty hilarious.

Sarah, actually.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I'm also committed to having the mod updated to 2.0 within a day or two of next week's release.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

GunnerJ posted:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/953323371462365189

:thunk:

eta: "Traditional" as a trait has some odd implications since that sounds more like a normal civic, but it's attached to a hive mind species.

One Mind? Oh no... THE GRANDMAPOCALYPSE IS UPON US!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shadowlyger posted:

Oh poo poo

but honestly, ridiculous empires, like "Sarah," are my favorite thing in this game. I have a race of GEICO Geckos, a race of goldfish-in-a-bowl Rogue Servitors, a paperclip maximizer...and now I gotta make a grandma hive mind.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For real, I'd love a simple "Share" button to share my non-modded empires and find others' as well.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ConfusedUs posted:

For real, I'd love a simple "Share" button to share my non-modded empires and find others' as well.

Yeah, some kind of online empire database that Stellaris could pull from when generating a galaxy would be awesome.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Am I mistaken, or is there no way to read an empire's biography once you're in-game? Yours or others?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

When do we get a mono gender race of sexy green alien ladies

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, some kind of online empire database that Stellaris could pull from when generating a galaxy would be awesome.

Inevitable galaxy of penis monsters

e: Intended as neither good nor bad, merely true

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Shugojin posted:

e: Intended as neither good nor bad, merely true

the first time i got a literal space third reich i would change my pacifist space butterflies to the most unbelievably agressive purifiers ever seen

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milky Moor posted:

I would definitely upload things to that. I've been thinking of new or expanding on old empire ideas today and think I might try to put together a Steam Workshop mod for them like some other people do eventually.

Shugojin posted:

Riding golden space-chariots.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Bramble posted:

Am I mistaken, or is there no way to read an empire's biography once you're in-game? Yours or others?

I'm reasonably certain you're correct.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Shadowlyger posted:

"One Mind" already exists and is +15% unity/month though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Bramble posted:

If you go to the species view and hover over the empire's founder species, it will display the empire biography after a short delay, if the empire has one.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to rename species because whenever I have livestock species I want to rename them to the Snaxoids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

gizmojumpjet posted:

Is there a way to rename species because whenever I have livestock species I want to rename them to the Snaxoids.

When you gene mod something you get the chance to rename it. You can try that.

• Locked thread