Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Also, nope:

https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2011/02/are_all_drug_reps_hot.html

(Full disclosure: My dad was a doc. I met a lot of drug reps. I don't recall a single one as being hot.)

(Full disclosure, am a nurse, currently work for pharma co and have worked with many drug reps in the past for most large pharma companies for the past 17+ years)

Drug reps are typically dumb as rocks, both men and women, but are hired because they are good looking. Also, because they are aforementioned dumb as rocks and are hired because they are good looking, they don’t last very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nope, the kids don’t sign. Just their parents.

It sounds like the parents took out the max, spent the refund if they got any of it (not sure whether it would be split between student loans and PLUS loans) and now want the daughter to pay all of it. If they did get thousands a semester in refund, that’s GWM but BWnot-being-a-lovely-person.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

holy poo poo

quote:

Yeah... this thread is making me realize we need to stop ubereats, and doordashing. It is killing us.

Nooo anything but the ubereats! This is what poverty must feel like.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

A coworker of mine asked in good faith, "Why don't we lend to people with a prison address?' I had a hard time explaining calmly why it wasn't good business sense for a lending company to lend to citizens without consistent income or with the capacity to conduct business freely. We work at a consumer lending company.

So how quickly was he promoted to Executive VP of the new Alternatively Housed Consumer Account division?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, drug reps are hot. It's a thing. Maybe some drug reps aren't hot, but the venn diagram looks a lot like two circles getting it on.

About 1/4th of the hardware vendor reps I've dealt with were probably old lady drug sales reps who aged out of that industry and then went into IT. Computer guys are much more easily impressed than doctors.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 16, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Higgy posted:

So how quickly was he promoted to Executive VP of the new Alternatively Housed Consumer Account division?
I urged them to start their own consumer lending business which caters to the incarcerated if they felt it was good business sense. They said they don't like the idea of punishing people who are already punished. I said that we aren't punishing anybody: it's in a business's best interest to reduce its liabilities. They said the distinction doesn't hold when it involves marginalized people. I asked them to explain and they went on a tangent about sex offenders. At no point did they make an argument about why our company (and it's actually only one of our borrowers, it's not specific to our company) should incur this risk. It was maddening.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hoodwinker posted:

I urged them to start their own consumer lending business which caters to the incarcerated if they felt it was good business sense. They said they don't like the idea of punishing people who are already punished. I said that we aren't punishing anybody: it's in a business's best interest to reduce its liabilities. They said the distinction doesn't hold when it involves marginalized people. I asked them to explain and they went on a tangent about sex offenders. At no point did they make an argument about why our company (and it's actually only one of our borrowers, it's not specific to our company) should incur this risk. It was maddening.

To clarify, his question was "why don't we lend to people who are currently serving out a prison sentence"?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

To clarify, his question was "why don't we lend to people who are currently serving out a prison sentence"?
Yes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hey, they might have a steady income. They might be earning 5 cents an hour because if they refuse to work they get beaten by the guards, thrown into solitary, and lose their good behavior status.

gently caress our prison system.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hey, they might have a steady income. They might be earning 5 cents an hour because if they refuse to work they get beaten by the guards, thrown into solitary, and lose their good behavior status.

gently caress our prison system.
Yeah I super agree that our legal system is far from perfect and our prison system is hosed, but it shouldn't be a great leap to imagine why private consumer lending companies might not feel inclined to lend to people with a prison address.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Higgy posted:

Good Parmesan coming fast with that pure poo poo. Just gently caress me up, my dude.

yea that is purestrain right there mmmmm

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hoodwinker posted:

Yeah I super agree that our legal system is far from perfect and our prison system is hosed, but it shouldn't be a great leap to imagine why private consumer lending companies might not feel inclined to lend to people with a prison address.

Just start accepting payment in toilet wine and you'll be ok.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Honestly a little surprised there's not some predatory company or another providing loans to people in prison to finance $4 pepsis from the exploitatively priced prison commissary in exchange for a lifetime of debt.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bird in a Blender posted:

A pack of cigarettes has an APR of 2cpy but cannot be repaid with "the guards will not be looking" time.

hailthefish posted:

Honestly a little surprised there's not some predatory company or another providing loans to people in prison to finance $4 pepsis from the exploitatively priced prison commissary in exchange for a lifetime of debt.
Nah, those companies shake down the families in form of surcharges if they want to send money to the inmate to use in said overpriced commissary, and very high charges for using the phones which inmates need for calling their attorneys.

And the inmate will first have to pay debt to the state before paying to any 3rd party, so the 3rd parties look elsewhere.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 16, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

Nah, I understand. What would they spend it on anyway? One of those SoCal jails where you can spend money to get a nicer cell? (Doublefuck our prison system)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

And a wide variety of small easily concealable in electronics and contraband.

As long as Andy Dufresne put the rock hammer in his anus handle first, he should be okay.

hailthefish posted:

They're call collect calls and they have the added benefit of charging people who have an income.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Being in prison, or having family in prison is definitely BWM. The states generally let companies monopolize various prison economies, so the commissary, phone calls, various other things that can be legally bought in prison are marked up like 10x what they are normally.

Unrelated, but bitcoin is down over 20% today. Good times.

Seppuku
May 24, 2004

Photo Of Crying Father A Lasting Symbol Of Economic Struggle If There Ever Was One
Crypto is collapsing. Get ready ya'll.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Seppuku posted:

Last week I posted about the USI-Tech crypto Ponzi scheme abruptly stopping affiliate withdrawals and taking $18 million (or what was worth $18m at that time) out of their Ethereum mining pool before cutting and running. Interesting timing there.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Seppuku posted:

What is the grace period on a btc margin call?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Good Parmesan posted:

BWM 2018: Aside from the cow I don't see anything on this list that I'll likely get again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3kjhfw/how_i_wasted_12000_this_past_year_and_what_should/

quote:

A lot of people are giving this guy crap for buying a half a cow, but honestly that is something that is actually pretty financially responsible.

A half a cow is about 275lb of meat. 125 of which is ground beef, the other 150 is cuts.

At $1200 that is 4.36 per pound, only abut 12 cents more then "All uncooked ground beef, per lb." according the BLS or 46c/pound greater then "Ground beef, 100% beef, per lb.". Yet he isn't just getting ground beef, he is getting sirloin, ribeye, brisket, and some of pretty much everything...all of which have costs significantly higher then 4.36/lb.

Even if all OP got was really fatty ground beef (3.88/lb) and supermarket quality chuck roast (5.13/lb) he still would have saved an average of $50 over BLS supermarket prices.

He isn't getting only chuck roast though, he is getting all different cuts of meet including a number of high quality steak cuts.

This is all food costs. So that $1200 should directly deduct from his yearly food expenses.

Yes a lot of his purchases are dumb and he needs to have a budget and spend money on his student loans, but the cow is not a dumb purchase unless it directly contributed to him missing one of his monthly bills.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Are you disagreeing with the 1/2 cow thing? I mean, as a sound bite it's hilarious, but I've bought that way before (local butcher) and they give you a hell of a deal. It's way cheaper than buying everything individually retail. Yes, you have to do your own "carcass balancing" in your meal planning, and you need to find a place that will pack in portions that are useful to you. Bonus points for a place that will dry age what can be dry aged before packing it. Of course you really need to have some things in place first (chest freezer, backup power) to make this a good idea, but lots of people already do......

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Door to door selling half cows is classic scamming of dumbshit prepper/hoarder old people.

Also like every suburban idiot husband buys one and thinks his wife will be happy with the hundreds of pounds of ground beef.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Motronic posted:

Are you disagreeing with the 1/2 cow thing? I mean, as a sound bite it's hilarious, but I've bought that way before (local butcher) and they give you a hell of a deal. It's way cheaper than buying everything individually retail. Yes, you have to do your own "carcass balancing" in your meal planning, and you need to find a place that will pack in portions that are useful to you. Bonus points for a place that will dry age what can be dry aged before packing it. Of course you really need to have some things in place first (chest freezer, backup power) to make this a good idea, but lots of people already do......

How long does it take you to eat half a cow?

To me, it's less a matter of cost per pound and more of did you need that much beef in the first place? Especially if you're eating a bunch of steaks, it's not the most efficient $/cal.

But it's not the worst BWM for sure.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cowofwar posted:

Door to door selling half cows is classic scamming of dumbshit prepper/hoarder old people.

Also like every suburban idiot husband buys one and thinks his wife will be happy with the hundreds of pounds of ground beef.

It's not hundreds of pounds of ground beef. You think they grind up perfectly good primals into burger?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Motronic posted:

I just thought it was funny. I do not feel strongly either way about half cowing.

quote:

All the poo poo I have to hear in the office.

The god drat "i-told-ya-so" from John. "I have no idea how stocks or anything like that work but i know bullshit when i see it. I can't believe people were dumb enough to buy fake money."

Yea ok mate, if i need a status update on that box of donuts in the break room, you're my go-to guy. other than that? shut up and go back to being poo poo at your job.

Then you've got Becky, flapping her useless mouth in the background who "knew" bitcoin was a scam when her boyfriend's Sister's cousin told her that the "bitcoin inventor guy" posted on his website that he was selling all his bitcoin.

"Money can't just be numbers on screens, that's not how money works. it has to be something you can hold as well! With all this net neutrality stuff going on you'd be crazy to invest in money that they can just shut down with the flick of a switch!"

Becky, last week i heard you ask the IT guy if you needed two mice plugged in to your computer if you want to use two screens at once and now you have a working knowledge of both the monetary system, crypto currencies AND the internet?! that's very impressive.

I have no idea why this is annoying me so much, I just found the need to rant while waiting for a meeting to start.

Edit/disclaimer: i'm not crying about the price, i haven't lost money yet and my initial investment, while quite large, is money i don't care about. it was either buy bitcoin or a BMW, which is %100 more likely to depreciate in value.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7qvjuv/possibly_the_worst_thing_about_this_crash/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cowofwar posted:

I wasn't aware of that (again, legit butcher shop with cows on site. Also both of us cook and had plans for every last bit of it), but if that's how most people see this/come into contact with it I suppose it fits the BWM narrative of OP and he probably bought it out of the back of a pickup truck.

Based on your av you probably know more about this thank I do.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I just thought it was funny. I do not feel strongly either way about half cowing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7qvjuv/possibly_the_worst_thing_about_this_crash/

drat Becky's. Always thinking they know poo poo.

That said the Coiners will look up from their financial ruin and devastation and have a sensible chuckle when the stock market finally corrects itself. See whose got the worthless balance sheet now.

cowofwar posted:

Ladies love tacos. Therefore, they are happy with hundreds of pounds of ground beef.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Could buying half a cow be GWM? Probably. Am I trusting anyone who also spent 600 dollars on funko pops to be effective with that much meat? no

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you want to buy half a cow then I’ve also got a half load of asphalt in my truck leftover from a job that I’ll use to resurface your driveway for a steal!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Phanatic posted:

How's that say anything about anything? The point of sending a sales rep is to sell drugs. If your sales rep is doing his or her job, then the visit will result in sales. So you'd expect a spike in sales following each rep, regardless of sex or attractiveness.

Doctors making decisions based on medical manufacturer and pharmaceutical marketing is among the reasons for runaway healthcare costs in the US. GWM for the sales rep's company, GWM for the doctor most of the time, probably of no real direct consequence to the patient if they're insured, but very, very BWM for society.

totalnewbie posted:

How long does it take you to eat half a cow?

To me, it's less a matter of cost per pound and more of did you need that much beef in the first place? Especially if you're eating a bunch of steaks, it's not the most efficient $/cal.

Ding ding ding. You're probably going to eat more beef than you would otherwise if you bought half a cow. Getting a great price on something that's more expensive in the first place is not necessarily a good financial decision.

See also: getting a deal on a watercooled gaming computer.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 17, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Right now the top post on Reddit's cryptocurrency news subreddit is a post showing the U.S. National Suicide Hotline phone number.

Dark humour or not, it's always screwed up how easily the average joe gets whipped up into the latest "hot investment" then gets burnt. It reminds me of the GTAT debacle from a couple of years back because it literally followed the same trajectory- people who don't know anything about investing getting all hyped up and excited over an investment, posting their daily gains (not really a gain just a green number), shouting down naysayers, then an overnight correction causing lots of soiled underwear.

Yet, this cycle repeats itself every few years. Yesterday it was Bitcoin. Before that GTAT. And even before that Beanie Babies. People have extraordinarily short memories, it seems.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 17, 2018

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Good Parmesan posted:

BWM 2018: Aside from the cow I don't see anything on this list that I'll likely get again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3kjhfw/how_i_wasted_12000_this_past_year_and_what_should/

I dunno, good beef is worth something and a half a cow is like a year's worth of beef for a family. That's not all that terrible I think.

What's hosed up is that this rear end in a top hat blew thousands on gaming systems while he's also listing diapers as an expense. Parent your kid, you dumb rear end in a top hat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cowofwar posted:

If you want to buy half a cow then I’ve also got a half load of asphalt in my truck leftover from a job that I’ll use to resurface your driveway for a steal!

If this really a thing? People go door-to-door offering cow carcasses?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Bitconnect also just suddenly shut down. What an eventful day for fake internet money.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Buying a portion of a cow (or hog) is not uncommon in farm country. Half a cow is probably more than a family needs in a year but a quarter or an eighth of a cow is very reasonable and GWM.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

ma i married a tuna posted:

What's hosed up is that this rear end in a top hat blew thousands on gaming systems while he's also listing diapers as an expense. Parent your kid, you dumb rear end in a top hat.

I just had a memory of some terrible hoarder goon thread where it eventually came out he bought a $2k warcraft rig while his children were literally falling through the holes in the floor of his rotting trailer.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How would half a cow wear pants?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Looks like some consistent downward pressure to me.

Phanatic posted:

If this really a thing? People go door-to-door offering cow carcasses?

https://www.bbb.org/western-virginia/news-events/news-releases/2016/03/bbb-advisory-door-to-door-meat-sales-heating-up/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

quote:

WARNINGYou're being manipulated by fake news (start taking notice) (self.CryptoCurrency)