Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Polikarpov posted:

Tonight I made a small amount of progress on a company of T-72s
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/Fivwx7e.jpg[/url][/timg]

Not pictured: The dozen + GHQ blister packs piled on my desk

Oh man. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some GHQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polikarpov posted:

Tonight I made a small amount of progress on a company of T-72s
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/Fivwx7e.jpg[/url][/timg]

Not pictured: The dozen + GHQ blister packs piled on my desk
:hf: T-72 buddy. I just wrapped up mine last night. Now onto the basing.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
eugh, those napoleonic parking lot games are just so baffling to look at!

And this guy is a total fop

Meanwhile, in the future, the west german bordertown of Schnitzelwürfel fell to a massive East German armored attack after a massive soviet bombardment

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Is it a rule in TY that tanks have to be touching?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Something, something, command ranges, Battlefield bad at making game.

I would believe that this is a conscious efforts to cram more tanks on the table so that you would buy more.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Their points lists are designed that to field full-size units you gotta buy more boxes since a lot of units are odd numbered and they only sell in 5's. So if you want like 2 T-72 units you gotta buy 2 box sets just to make 2-half size units

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
At least the Napoleonics game would have people that densely packed. Not that it makes for a interesting game - how do you maneuver with that dense a field?

Both are the problem of the wrong scale being used.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I don't even play TY and I'm already tired of these comments.

Let us just take as read the fact that Internet Forum Something Awful is near unanimous in feeling that the TY ruleset encouraging densely packed tanks is not great and never speak of it again.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think the bigger problem is the French general's inability to identify the lack of capability for musket fire to penetrate the frontal armour of a T-72

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

NTRabbit posted:

I think the bigger problem is the French general's inability to identify the lack of capability for musket fire to penetrate the frontal armour of a T-72

It's Jerome, nobody liked Jerome, he's a fop

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

T-72 company battalion at maximum command radius.

The great thing about 6mm is I lost the turrets of two of these while they were sitting around not getting painted and it just doesn't matter. They'll show up eventually, or I can just buy more for like 50c each. I also realised that with these done I've finished all by the pair of ZU-23-2 and... most of the infantry :negative:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
im the stray pube

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's for scale :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hmmm, those look like... either HnR or Scotia Grendel.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Not speaking of tank parks, I got my first flags from GMB Designs today, for my French, and they look delish. Gonna put some on my new Chasseurs-a-cheval as soon as I finish basing them.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Not speaking of tank parks, I got my first flags from GMB Designs today, for my French, and they look delish. Gonna put some on my new Chasseurs-a-cheval as soon as I finish basing them.

I will never use anything else than GMB

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

I will never use anything else than GMB

Do you prepare them in any special way, or is just PVA glue and folding them a bit by hand the way to go?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Frobbe posted:

Meanwhile, in the future, the west german bordertown of Schnitzelwürfel fell to a massive East German armored attack after a massive soviet bombardment

man how closely packed are those tanks

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Do you prepare them in any special way, or is just PVA glue and folding them a bit by hand the way to go?

No prep. Just watered down pva on the back, and folding it between to brush handles.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It makes sense when you remember that the tanks in Team Yankee wouldn't have had radios, so they have to communicate by shouting at each other.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Another minor piece of Battlegroup booism - The sides of a Panther, which are 20-30mm thick, not sloped, and could be penetrated by AT rifles, have the same armor rating as the front of a Sherman, which is between three and six times thicker (depending on variant) and sloped at fifty degrees. Kruppstahl is some serious loving poo poo.

The rules look great, though. Nice middle ground between something like Chain of Command and Blitzkrieg Commander. Can't wait to try it out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ilor posted:

Is it a rule in TY that tanks have to be touching?

Recoome posted:

man how closely packed are those tanks

Basically, the problem is twofold: In TY, if a unit in a platoon wants to stay 'in command' of their unit leader, they have to be within 6" of that tank. If they leave that bubble, if they move, they have to try and move back into command-so right away, the rules encourage clumping your unit together. To make matters worse, the physical size of the models is noticeably larger than the previous WW2 vehicles in base Flames, which means that larger units, by necessity, turn into a giant parking lot.

I like TY, and I wish I had the chance to play more of it, but that aspect is... not a good system.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Have they commented on why they replaced the classic command chain system?

Or is the answer "hurr-durr Battlefront"?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Basically, the problem is twofold: In TY, if a unit in a platoon wants to stay 'in command' of their unit leader, they have to be within 6" of that tank. If they leave that bubble, if they move, they have to try and move back into command-so right away, the rules encourage clumping your unit together. To make matters worse, the physical size of the models is noticeably larger than the previous WW2 vehicles in base Flames, which means that larger units, by necessity, turn into a giant parking lot.

I like TY, and I wish I had the chance to play more of it, but that aspect is... not a good system.

They don't have to be in command range, it just makes them shoot worse.

Have a macedonian dude with a homemade spear. I have to make 184 of these. Regret

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Has anybody been able to take a look at Gangs of Rome? I love the idea of it but am wary of buying the book sight unseen. Historicals are a fickle mistress.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Frobbe posted:

They don't have to be in command range, it just makes them shoot worse.

Have a macedonian dude with a homemade spear. I have to make 184 of these. Regret

Is that a Forged in Battle 15mm Macedonian? How do you find them? I'm considering getting some Hellenistic models to work on for fun.

Also, does anyone sell decent 15mm spears?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Has anybody been able to take a look at Gangs of Rome? I love the idea of it but am wary of buying the book sight unseen. Historicals are a fickle mistress.

I pre-ordered about $100 of stuff. I have the pdf but tbh I haven't read it yet. Was gonna wait for the real book. It is getting a lot of hype from the fb group.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MeinPanzer posted:

Is that a Forged in Battle 15mm Macedonian? How do you find them? I'm considering getting some Hellenistic models to work on for fun.

Also, does anyone sell decent 15mm spears?

North Star sells spears

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=62&page=1

at 50mm long they're good for a 15mm scale sarissa to give to a phalangite like the one pictured, which is a Forged in Battle Macedonian Phalangite at the slope (also available in at the march), I've got some myself

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 16, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

the pdf is free tho?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The rules are a free pdf: Link.

In a somewhat related problem, someone talk me out of buying a big pile of those Aventine 28mm Republican Romans. A regular opponent of mine has Successors, and I love the era - but will I ever actually paint them?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cessna posted:

In a somewhat related problem, someone talk me out of buying a big pile of those Aventine 28mm Republican Romans. A regular opponent of mine has Successors, and I love the era - but will I ever actually paint them?

You might not paint them, but when has that ever stopped anybody?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You might not paint them, but when has that ever stopped anybody?

My basement is already about to collapse into a singularity from the mass of all of the unpainted metal...

Totally worth it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cessna posted:

you shouldnt buy those aventine romans

because you should buy the victrix romans instead

:hist101:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Those are beautiful. Seriously, you're killing me here.

(But I'm awful at plastic. Give me cold, hard metal.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Oh poo poo, free rules. I will have to give them a look.

Thanks, all.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cessna posted:

Those are beautiful. Seriously, you're killing me here.

(But I'm awful at plastic. Give me cold, hard metal.)

dont be afraid, plastic is your friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNijtptEtcQ

30 gbp for a box of 60 cute roman boys :mrgw:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I got four boxes of Victrix French Napoleonics in a second hand lot sale last year.

They're really nice for conversions, going to make all kinds of weird stuff out of them. (Weird as in "*squints hard* those rolled up forage caps in the backpacks are GREEN, not blue, did you paint up your imperial guard in greatcoats as italian royal guard?", not as in sci-fi mutants from space type of weird.)

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Played Test of Honour again, still liking it. Played it with the cards this time and injuries to Samurai instead of just removing them. Samurai can take huge amounts of punishment. My monk guy was on 12 blood drops (light wounds) at the end of the game.

Next time we will play with the morale rules and I will hopefully try out the list I will take to the warring states event.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cross-posting from one of the painting threads:

Progress! I've been working on some WW2 historicals of late, including some 8th Army Desert Rats:

So that the Afrika Korps dudes I just finished basing will have someone to fight!

Here's British the 2" mortar team:

One thing that always bugs me about multi-based weapons teams is how you handle wounds/casualties. The game for which these minis are intended is Chain of Command, where casualties and "shock" on a unit are integrally important. A lone MG-34 gunner without an a-gunner working hard swapping belts for him is less effective, so you want a way to track multi-man teams. The solution to this (as it is for seemingly all problems) is magnets! The base is a 2" diameter steel plate (i.e. a washer with no hole in it), and the loader is affixed to the base with magnets like so:

Now you see him:

Now you don't:

Mmmm, magnets...

In this last picture, the cracking you see is what happens when you apply DullCote when it's 3 degrees F outside - in the 10 seconds it took me to walk outside, spray my poo poo, and walk back in, it had already crackled like that. These guys need another coat (there's still some shiny bits from the MinWax wash), but I'll wait until it warms up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ilor posted:

One thing that always bugs me about multi-based weapons teams is how you handle wounds/casualties. The game for which these minis are intended is Chain of Command, where casualties and "shock" on a unit are integrally important. A lone MG-34 gunner without an a-gunner working hard swapping belts for him is less effective, so you want a way to track multi-man teams. The solution to this (as it is for seemingly all problems) is magnets! The base is a 2" diameter steel plate (i.e. a washer with no hole in it), and the loader is affixed to the base with magnets like so:

Now you see him:

Now you don't:

Mmmm, magnets...

drat, that's a really elegant solution. I've been basing my crew operated weapon teams individually and it's a pain in the rear end. Good work.