Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kusaru posted:

The ~Blizz Insider~ in Discord thought it was Studio Trigger, but I didn't see anything confirming it.

https://twitter.com/RachelRichmond/status/953367701660975104

So per one of Blizz's Project Producers, it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

No Wave posted:

I think bunker is better than combustion in the way that Zeratul is better than Nova. And I will happily take the Nova every time because I am not high GM.
That's fair.

Butter Hole posted:

McIntyre and other pros prefer combustion too. Not that their opinions are gospel--I'm speaking from my personal experience. Granted I was in QM and not in a competitive ranked game.

When I've landed combustion on 3 people and get a nice charge up it's almost always swung the teamfight in our favor. But, different strokes for different folks.
Yeah, to each their own. I'm just speaking from my own personal experiences and I've seen the exact opposite - Combustion almost always did a whole lot of nothing (the few times it was useful we were hosed anyways) and Bunker has managed to do things like bait out Hanzo's Dragon or KTZ's Shadow Fissure.

Kyrosiris posted:

As someone who primarily plays backline heroes, I like Combustion for the same reason I like Shifting Sands on Chromie - being able to dictate "no, gently caress you, we're fighting right here" is powerful. I get that Bunker has uses but I've seen way more pivotal Combustions than I have Bunkers.
I think a major part of why I don't think Combustion is very useful because Blaze already has a ton of slows and damage over time available to him in his default kit, especially when you factor in Adhesive Petroleum and Grill and Kill. In the big scheme of things, a 30% slow is not THAT different from a 60% one, especially when you can follow up a slow with a stun. I like the concept behind Combustion and I think the sound effect for it is cool as hell, but it's just so goddamn awkward.

moush posted:

Combustion is instant though, they're very different ults.
Instant to start, yes. Instant effectiveness, no. If you end the channel as soon as it starts, you get 96 damage and 60% slow for 1 second. That's the most :flaccid: use of 70 Mana I've ever seen, especially from an ability that's supposed to be an ultimate.

bamhand posted:

Combustion is really, really, good. You don't need to charge it to full, just release when someone is about to make it out of the radius. Also bunker is loving trash unless your team is on comms and can coordinate what exactly your plan is. And then it's probably still not very good.
I usually only play with my one buddy on comms and I've gotten amazing mileage out of the Bunker by using one simple phrase: "using Bunker to dodge/bait, don't get in it"

Communication is key, and often helpful.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kyrosiris posted:

https://twitter.com/RachelRichmond/status/953367701660975104

So per one of Blizz's Project Producers, it's not.

According to the various reply threads branching off from that one. The music was by https://twitter.com/dundeemusicT4 who's one of the Overwatch composers.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've just found the additional slow and damage from combustion to be really, really good at making sure everyone you just barreled into gets locked down and murdered. And that bunker has no hp and can easily be killed by just some AA's while also preventing anyone inside from doing anything useful. Remember you have to rely on your entire team not to be an idiot and either go in or not go into the bunker at the right time and thereby making your fight a 4v5. One person doing the wrong thing can screw over everyone. Kind of like how Junkrats on your team can screw you over by using the kamikaze ult as an initiation except you have to hope all 5 members of your team aren't dumb instead of just the JR.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kith posted:

I think a major part of why I don't think Combustion is very useful because Blaze already has a ton of slows and damage over time available to him in his default kit, especially when you factor in Adhesive Petroleum and Grill and Kill. In the big scheme of things, a 30% slow is not THAT different from a 60% one, especially when you can follow up a slow with a stun. I like the concept behind Combustion and I think the sound effect for it is cool as hell, but it's just so goddamn awkward.

See, I've always seen it used as a second salvo - once you've got people slowed and poo poo, hit the Combustion and really make them panic while getting shelled by the backline.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bamhand posted:

I've just found the additional slow and damage from combustion to be really, really good at making sure everyone you just barreled into gets locked down and murdered. And that bunker has no hp and can easily be killed by just some AA's while also preventing anyone inside from doing anything useful. Remember you have to rely on your entire team not to be an idiot and either go in or not go into the bunker at the right time and thereby making your fight a 4v5. One person doing the wrong thing can screw over everyone. Kind of like how Junkrats on your team can screw you over by using the kamikaze ult as an initiation except you have to hope all 5 members of your team aren't dumb instead of just the JR.

The Bunker has 1300 base health, 1932 at Level 10 and 2862 at Level 20. I don't know what the gently caress kind of situations you're playing in that "some AAs" are able to chunk nearly 50% of Blaze's health out of existence, but maybe you should look into trying to use the Bunker a little less recklessly, yeah?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kith posted:

The Bunker has 1300 base health, 1932 at Level 10 and 2862 at Level 20. I don't know what the gently caress kind of situations you're playing in that "some AAs" are able to chunk nearly 50% of Blaze's health out of existence, but maybe you should look into trying to use the Bunker a little less recklessly, yeah?

Shrug, I only see the bunker come out when we have a bad Blaze and then we lose. When we have combustion we win. You realize that when you're inside the bunker you do practically nothing right? People go inside the bunker, make the fight really lopsided in the enemy's favor then oh whoops, we lost that team fight.

Oh and bunker has a 25% pick rate and 43% win rate. Versus combustion with 47%.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

This anime trailer is like a dumb hyperactive puppy or something, I can't help loving it. :3:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Bunker suffers from the classic “WOW Lightwell problem” anything that is designed for preserving the safety of others that requires their active engagement is flawed in concept. 90% of people playing damage dealers are thinking about doing damage only. They consider it someone else’s job to keep them alive and the majority of game design enforces this view.

In its absolutely optimum conditions for use Bunker is better. In my opinion those conditions will never be met in a standard pickup game even with coordinated friends. I would go Combustion every game and just rely on yourself to engage fights with higher initial impact than rely on your teammates to understand how to use a Bunker. The performance stats so far clearly bear this out as well.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm at work so I can't find out first hand, but AA Sustain/Smite Tyrael looks like he'll be great for QM.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the anime trailer is fuckin rad and i already bought the new abathur skin :psylon:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm low on shards so I may just end up throwing down real bux for the skins. Especially since the bundles aren't super bloated.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
The bunker is a big giant "please gently caress us right here" target.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

lucifirius posted:

The bunker is a big giant "please gently caress us right here" target.

I had to teach a Stukov that when they bunker up, THATS THE loving BATSIGNAL FOR LURKING ARM!!!

After he learned that, it suddenly went from losing game to WRECKING poo poo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh jesus christ.
Mecha Tyrael's response to Abathur's chatter at match start is "Eldruin glows with an awesome power! It's loud roar tells me to defeat you!"

I love how his quotes are around 90% G-Gundam references by volume, but his skins are explicitly the Strike Freedom and Deathscythe Hell Custom.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kurieg posted:

Oh jesus christ.
Mecha Tyrael's response to Abathur's chatter at match start is "Eldruin glows with an awesome power! It's loud roar tells me to defeat you!"

I love how his quotes are around 90% G-Gundam references by volume, but his skins are explicitly the Strike Freedom and Deathscythe Hell Custom.

Pls add playable Fel Reaver with Big-O skin, thx Uncle Blizz.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i've played blaze a whole bunch and so far my experience with bunker vs. combustion is that you have to play it by ear and pick bunker if the enemy comp seems to have debuff-reliant champions bunker would gently caress over and they're competent and your team seems like they're trying to avoid damage and not just playing like "RUN AT ENEMY TEAM AND MASH MAXIMUM DAMAGE BUTTONS"

i think i've picked combustion over bunker like... 66% of the time, and when i do pick bunker sometimes i've misjudged the situation in which case it's about as useful as a wet fart, but when bunker is useful it's really useful

one trick to combustion is to fart out a bunch of oil slicks first so that it's harder to get away from you

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Oh jesus christ.

gently caress, now I want them, but I'm so loving bad at warriors. :negative:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I think combustion is generally the better pick but bunker is absolutely the correct pick vs certain heroes. For example, bunker is a hard counter to Malthael's tormented souls.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
bunker also fucks over combo-chromie hard because getting into it just makes the time loop effect vanish and do nothing, even if you immediately get back out

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
If you buy only one of the new skins, which one?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Are all new characters legendary by default now? Im slowly buying dudes I like but its gonna take a while. Do I buy the cheaper dudes I like to have more options or save up for the new hotness?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Erdricks posted:

1.) Black abathur
2.) Wing Gundam Tyrael
3.) Any rehgar (they all look similarly nice, up to taste)

But wait two weeks, one might speak to you in-game and it'll be 800 shards cheaper then anyways. Or you might open one.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Charles Bukowski posted:

Are all new characters legendary by default now? Im slowly buying dudes I like but its gonna take a while. Do I buy the cheaper dudes I like to have more options or save up for the new hotness?

Yes. Price drop after 2 weeks (and usually a nerf) but then still 10k gold for a long while.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

No Wave posted:

2.) Wing Gundam Tyrael

The gundam color schemes are named
"Strike"

"Deathreaper"

and "Justice"

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Erdricks posted:

1) Pick MechaTyrael
2) Go to try mode
3) Set level to 10
4) Pick judgement
5) ???
6) Never play any other character again

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

1) Pick MechaTyrael
2) Go to try mode
3) Set level to 10
4) Pick judgement
5) ???
6) Never play any other character again

I can't really figure out if new Tyrael is good. He's always benefited from a specific drafting comp, and I had thought that the sustain talents would make him better for QM. But with QM being what it is I can't even really tell. I think he'll still be a niche second warrior for shields and sanctification, but I love the idea of smitin' and fightin' all day with my Gundam. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I know Tassadar's other 20s are probably objectively better, but nothing is quite as satisfying as the Force Wall upgrade talent for sheer being an rear end in a top hat value.

What's that? You want to run away from our Valeera and Kerrigan? Too bad. :smuggo:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tassadar's Force Wall counts as a solid object for Diablo's Shadow Charge, which is why I love it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BrianBoitano posted:

Yes. Price drop after 2 weeks (and usually a nerf) but then still 10k gold for a long while.

And then once in a while they drop an older 10k hero down to 7k.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
After playing Kel'Thuzad more on free week, I am still really unclear as to what constitutes a "structure" for chains, since it was horribly inconsistent and for some reason he doesn't have hanjo/lucio wall vision, even though he's just as dependent on it as they are.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So is Stukov bad now? Was going to ban him out on Braxis but the team started raging that it's a waste.

edit: and first HL game of the day our tank goes 'I'm drunk as gently caress lol' and feeds

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 17, 2018

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Structure is an enemy building. Basically if you can attack/destroy it, you can chain it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

beejay posted:

Structure is an enemy building. Basically if you can attack/destroy it, you can chain it.

So, you can chain them to enemy walls/forts, but not friendly walls/forts?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kith posted:

Tassadar's Force Wall counts as a solid object for Diablo's Shadow Charge, which is why I love it.

Yeah, I basically slam-pick Force Wall in any game I have a Diablo in, because it's just so free.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Toshimo posted:

So, you can chain them to enemy walls/forts, but not friendly walls/forts?

Correct.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ok I cannot handle silver HL. How do you do the MMR reset thing? Just don't play HL for a season? Or is the lesson just don't do hero league.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ok I cannot handle silver HL. How do you do the MMR reset thing? Just don't play HL for a season? Or is the lesson just don't do hero league.

Your MMR is never going to really reset. You have to play your way out of it.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Get a new account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Your MMR is always soft-tied to your account for all your matches you have played across all modes. Your QM, Unranked, Hero League, and Team League games all matter to your MMR.

I played the exact same 10 team league placements this season with 3 people and we went like 7-3 or 6-4 and I ended up placing Platinum, my friends placed Silver and Bronze.

I have like 7 or 8 people who I run groups with regularly, and we will play pickup unranked, and me and 1 other guy do the bans 100% of the time because we are roughly tied for the highest MMR in the group.

The games you play in the ranked mode of the season matter a lot, but your overall account MMR matters a lot too. After that initial weighted ranking I think you just rise or fall based on your in-season rank vs. whomever you are playing.