Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Fil5000 posted:

Do the students have to sign on these as well? I assume that their credit gets hosed if neither they nor the parents pay, right?

I used to like this when I worked at a bank. "You've ruined my credit score!" No dude, you missed four payments on your mortgage, YOU ruined your credit score.

Also the people who view their credit score as something independent of their actions. If you're poo poo at paying back money, people won't lend you money, this isn't complicated.

Seems like you've never seen Drag me to Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

What is the crypto and the_donald overlap?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

potee posted:

I just had a memory of some terrible hoarder goon thread where it eventually came out he bought a $2k warcraft rig while his children were literally falling through the holes in the floor of his rotting trailer.

Yeah I remember that. After his child got taken by CPS, he got his life back together, fixed the housing situation, and started taking proper care of his family.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

cowofwar posted:

Haven't seen any crypto talk :iamafag:

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Same guy

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3yka0v/boa_lawyers_declined_my_settlement_offer_not_sure/

BoA lawyers declined my settlement offer. Not sure how to proceed. posted:

Hi guys,

So Circa 2008 I was minding my own business at the the bank, making a deposit, when BoA offered me a credit card with a $2500 limit. I accepted and racked up charges on it and was making payments on it and then I lost my job and went back to school. Pretty much ignored the CC debt until they took me to court in 2011. Judge gave them a ruling of ~$3600 and I agreed to pay them in $150 installments. I made 5 payments and then stopped since my cost of living went up and couldn't afford what i agreed to pay.

Fast Forward 4 years and we're back in court but not in front of a judge but with a intermediary. They're claiming with the interest added over the 4 years I now owe ~$5600. I think that number is loving insane and I refuse to pay. I offer $3000 to settle and lawyer says he can present that to his client(Cavalry LLC/BoA). That was in October or November.

Fast Forward to today and I call the lawyers because I have the money ready. They say they have to present the offer to BoA and then they'll call me back. They call me back and say BoA refused the offer and counter offered $3760 or if I can provide my W2, paystubs, Checking account invoice they could accept the $3k. Am I wrong for thinking that my offer was more than fair and feeling sketchy about them asking for my financials?

Any Advice on how I should proceed?

TLDR; offering to pay $3750($750 in 2011 and $3000 today) on a CC with $2500 limit but BoA wants $4500 to day

P.S. please don't berate me like the last time I asked for advice over my financial decisions. I know I hosed up and now I'm trying to right a wrong.

Edit: I took /u/ronin722 advice and called back to get more info about the info they wanted from my financials and it seems a bank statement saying I'm NOT super rich is all they need. Sending them that info tomorrow and we'll see how that goes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

potee posted:

I just had a memory of some terrible hoarder goon thread where it eventually came out he bought a $2k warcraft rig while his children were literally falling through the holes in the floor of his rotting trailer.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028

The tax man himself banned the dude

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

If anyone went all in on Bitcoin let it be Trump Jr.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dude who got his kids taken away cleaned up his act I believe and got them back. It’s an :unsmith: ending to a :stonk: story.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

George H.W. oval office posted:

Dude who got his kids taken away cleaned up his act I believe and got them back. It’s an :unsmith: ending to a :stonk: story.

I always see the original thread posted but never the follow up. Is it lost in time? I assume the poster re-reged but don't know what the new username is.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The GBS Bitcoin thread is entertaining today.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Some people are just really bad at negotiating. There's no reason for BoA to ever take that offer unless they knew he just couldn't pay it, and now he's not wanting to show them that he can't pay it.

Other news, this really makes you think

Harry fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 17, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Harry posted:

Other news, this really makes you think

At this point I can't tell the troll posts apart from the "I Drank The BTC Kool-Aid" posts. :gonk: Especially when people start saying things like:

quote:

Losing money isn't the end of the world, it's just money, there are more important things in the world. As long as you have your health, that is the single most important thing.
Because money is kinda important. For things not freezing to death or dying of starvation or dying from an infection caused by an untreated toothache. I feel like the people who think "money's just money so who cares?" have never been without money. Because not having any, especially when it was caused by ill-advisable gambling/investment decisions, is pretty loving awful.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 17, 2018

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

I always see the original thread posted but never the follow up. Is it lost in time? I assume the poster re-reged but don't know what the new username is.

I vaguely remember it, it was a comic drawn by someone in a GBS draw random poo poo about the forums thread way long ago. The first comic was the daughter leaving the trash house, then the dude posts how he got his poo poo together and got his kid back. The follow up comic was a wholesome depiction of the reunion.

No idea what happened to that thread

Just kidding I found it here it is. The comic gets posted on page 16 then someone links to the follow up thread

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 17, 2018

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've always wanted to see the before pictures

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

totalnewbie posted:

I've always wanted to see the before pictures

They were darkly lit and nasty. Like old trash and boxes everywhere, forcing you to walk a trench between rooms. Bits of food strewn about.
This sums it up:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028&userid=93057#post398274100

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

I vaguely remember it, it was a comic drawn by someone in a GBS draw random poo poo about the forums thread way long ago. The first comic was the daughter leaving the trash house, then the dude posts how he got his poo poo together and got his kid back. The follow up comic was a wholesome depiction of the reunion.

No idea what happened to that thread

Just kidding I found it here it is. The comic gets posted on page 16 then someone links to the follow up thread

Thanks. Gonna have to get that archives upgrade...

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

therobit posted:

Gonna have to get that archives upgrade...

BWM as gently caress

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

computer angel posted:

Seems like you've never seen Drag me to Hell

I haven't but I just read the wiki description. It looks like turning down mortgage extensions is GWM but BWL.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

From the Schad thread:

`Nemesis posted:

re: crypto

This is going to lead to some good stories for this thread.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I just watched the price of bitcoin on coinbase fall below $10k, and by the time I opened my browser to post that here, it was already under $9800

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

So what you're telling me is now is the time to buy?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Bitcoin investors.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Ashcans posted:

So what you're telling me is now is the time to buy?

BUY THE DIP

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

This, but I mean bean dip.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

therobit posted:

This, but I mean bean dip.

French onion or take that trash to the dump.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

French onion or take that trash to the dump.

Why is every french onion dip at the store made from soybean oil. drat man give me some sour cream and cream cheese mix son for my pretzel dipping.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm not sure this story qualifies as BWM but as it IS about raising money for a horse, named Richard, I can't help but share. You see, Richard got his dick broke off, and now he needs your donations for his horse dickectomy:

quote:

Fundraiser saves pony who lost penis to cancer, frostbite

BRIDGTON, Maine (AP) — A Maine animal rescue group says it has raised enough money to save a 15-year-old pony that lost part of its penis due to cancer and frostbite.

Bridgton-based Animal Rescue Unit took over care of the pony that was suffering from cancer and an infection. Brogan Horton said temperatures plummeting to 25 below exacerbated the problem, causing part of the animal’s flesh to break off during an examination.

The animal, named Richard, will be spared from being euthanized thanks to a fundraising campaign that surpassed its goal of raising $4,000 for care, including reconstruction.

Horton said the goal is for the pony to live the remainder of its life pain-free. She said the pony has more than half his life left.

Here's a link to the fundraiser: https://www.youcaring.com/arumyhreclinic-1066057 Looks like they've already exceeded their goal. I hope Richard gets well soon. :unsmith:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Poor little Dick.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
More BTC madness from Reddit:

quote:

Mid November I started talking about crypto with my family and friends and gave them a little "push" to start investing small amounts to experiment... I wanted them to make some money because I know they could really use it and I explained how volatile the market rn and the rewards and risk they would have to take and strongly advised them to never ever invest what they can't efford to loss

Some of them got really invested and saw some big gains and started to show off their percentage gains on social media (which is stupid but whatever).

Noone really thanked me for introducing them to crypto when they made some big gains, they all acted like they got into it because they were smart (before I introduced them to crypto they thought bitcoin was a physical golden coin and can't be bought in fraction), but again whatever I didn't do it for people to thank me I just wanted them to make some money because I know they needed some.

Fast forward to today morning and gently caress.MY.LIFE I opened my phone and I find a barrage of messages from them accusing me of scamming them and tricking them into crypto because they lost money, I tried to explain to them that this is normal and it will bounce back soon and it's just a correction and don't sell but they aren't listening most of them sold and "cut their loses" before the "bubble burst".

I am never going to talk about crypto with anyone in real life again, gently caress em I am not getting involved in this lovely situation ever again
Further proof that when your Auntie Em starts investing in the latest "hot investment" and starts posting about it alongside her Minions memes you are elbows-deep in bubble territory and it is time to GTFO.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Poor little Dick.
Poor Richard's little Richard. :smith:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Postman delivered the wrong Dear Richard hex?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Uh, where are they keeping a sick animal that his dick froze so hard it broke off? Shouldn't you be keeping your livestock somewhere they won't get frostbite and literally freeze their dick off? People have been keeping livestock in crazy cold places for thousands of years, this shouldn't be a surprise problem. I hope Brokedick Pony is ok, but I don't have a lot of confidence in those caretakers.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On the bright side, I can now honestly say I’m hung like a horse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
/r/bitconnect is closed. Here is a glimpse of what it looked like before they locked it

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Guys, it's BWM Christmas.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-cant-be-happening-suffering-and-schadenfreude-in-crypto-community-2018-01-17

quote:

“Please help. I have invested over $500,000 into Bitconnect and currencies on the exchange with the help of a business loan. I planned to withdraw within a month or two. Now I can’t access the funds to seel and the market crashed. I cannot pay for the business, my family needs the funds. I need help. For the sake of all that is good in the name of assistance, I need financial advice. This is the worst day, and I feel like making $5,000,000 by gambling n the crypto market with another loan before it’s too late and the prices go up again.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitconnect/comments/7qwjcx/this_cant_be_it_i_lost_everything_everything/

quote:

This is all a bad joke right? It says BCC is at 30$ on CoinMarketCap. People on Telegram are telling me that BCC is not even 8$ worth now? If this is real, Im ruined. Like really loving ruined. I have nothing left. I put everything I had into this, because I trusted them. Literally all of my familys savings are in BCC, because a friend told me the risk was worth it. Are you telling me I lost everything? 80,000$ gone like nothing? Im so angry right now. My wife doesnt know yet. She will come home soon. What am I going to loving tell her. How am I suppossed to care for my family now? I have literally nothing right now. My wife has two sons and I am unemployed. How am I suppossed to take care of them now??? I hope someone pays for this mess. If not with money then with a sentence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitconnect/comments/7qx0kv/im_literally_shaking_this_cant_be_happening/

quote:

My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I’m so distressed right now I don’t know what to do. I didn’t mean to do that to my mom but I’m literally in shock from the what happened today. I feel like I’m going to explode. This can’t be happening. I’m having a loving breakdown. I don’t want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I cannot loving deal with this right now. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. This is so hosed.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

That last one is a copy pasta as old as time itself.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Don't buy into crypto ponzis first and foremost and in addition don't buy fake internet money at all.

Look at their business model https://bitconnect.co/bitcoin-information/19/investing-in-bitconnect-lending

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Motronic posted:

I wasn't aware of that (again, legit butcher shop with cows on site. Also both of us cook and had plans for every last bit of it), but if that's how most people see this/come into contact with it I suppose it fits the BWM narrative of OP and he probably bought it out of the back of a pickup truck.

Based on your av you probably know more about this thank I do.

Wait, which butcher shops in the area will dry age before packing it? Ours won't and that would be awesome.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Motronic posted:

I wasn't aware of that (again, legit butcher shop with cows on site. Also both of us cook and had plans for every last bit of it), but if that's how most people see this/come into contact with it I suppose it fits the BWM narrative of OP and he probably bought it out of the back of a pickup truck.

Based on your av you probably know more about this thank I do.

Coming from a family that raised cows on the side, I didn't think of this as bad with money. It was normal for us to slaughter a cow. Half would go to the butcher for processing fees, and half would be ours (divided among 3 families). I was thinking it was like that and thus completely normal. I mean that is if you have deep freezers to store the meat for a year.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Lockback posted:

/r/bitconnect is closed. Here is a glimpse of what it looked like before they locked it

There it is, that's the good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Elephanthead posted:

Why is every french onion dip at the store made from soybean oil. drat man give me some sour cream and cream cheese mix son for my pretzel dipping.

Yo make your own dip out of the seasoning packets and a carton of sour cream. It's way cheaper and better.