Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

slidebite posted:

I'm still trying to understand wtf a tether is

It is a U.S. dollar, except without the backing of the United States government and may not be used to purchase goods or services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

More Comments (9)
el-cukoDegenerate alt-gambler • 4h
Two things. I need the number in Canada ,and two, it's not for me....more for my wife, so they can talk her out of killing me

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lemming posted:

Pretend Chuck E Cheese made 1.5 billion Chuck E Cheese tokens and told you you could trade each of them in for $1 a piece, and then used them to buy lots of bitcoins. Their proof that they have $1.5 billion in the bank to back the value of the Chuck E Cheese tokens is that they promise.

If you try to cash out your Chuck E Cheese tokens they tell you to contact customer support.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

turn off the TV posted:

this can't be real
that's been the case for a while, but people with 50k have approached them and still been rejected. tether's are "backed" by dollars that you cannot redeem them for.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

slidebite posted:

I'm still trying to understand wtf a tether is
It’s a crypto that represents a dollar, with each unit ostensibly backed by a real dollar in reserves. It is traded against a number of other cryptos, most importantly BTC, and used on exchanges that don’t want to deal with real dollars out of regulatory issues.

The company issuing them hasn’t undergone an audit since they started printing them and 1.6 bn have been issued so far, almost all of them in the last year or so.

Due to the way arbitrage works you can’t have too high a discrepancy between the price of a crypto in Tether and the price in USD. So issuing a bunch of tether and using these to blast through the orderbook during periods of weakness can help support prices.

It’s the #1 systemic risk in crypto and when it goes we’ll see lower 4 digits possibly 3 digit BTC prices. Which is when I’m buying the gently caress out of it.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

my coins are worrth what they were worth 2 weeks ago this is a disaster :wth:

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvtUCUM9yCU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

mood:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

COMRADES posted:

post your sources

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitconnect/comments/7qwjcx/this_cant_be_it_i_lost_everything_everything/

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Junior Jr. posted:

Good thing Coinbase isn't this lovely.

That place can't do no wrong, right?

...right?

They have a lot of defenders in this thread and my experiences with them haven't been historically awful like the MtGox depositors, but yeah, Coinbase pulls their share of shady poo poo too. They are better than some, true, but I wouldn't trust any of the exchanges as depositee of a sum of money I didn't want to lose. But I give Coinbase a lot of credit for at least trying to run like a business, and they are more transparent than most. Coinbase at least says they have a plan for what happens if they get MtGoxed and all the bitcoin is gone and they made it available to the public ( https://www.coinbase.com/legal/insurance ) which is more than Celery ever did. Whether they could carry it out in the event remains to be seen, I guess.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is Coinbase really based in the US? One of my co-workers told me they added their credit card on there and the temp charges they got to authenticate the card got flagged by Chase as international transactions.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

They print tether on one exchange but its not limited to that exchange. You can trade tether for BTC and then sell that BTC for money on another exchange.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Is Coinbase really based in the US? One of my co-workers told me they added their credit card on there and the temp charges they got to authenticate the card got flagged by Chase as international transactions.

Good question. Whenever I've dealt with them it's been the people in San Francisco, but they have offices all over the world.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

They print tether on one exchange but its not limited to that exchange. You can trade tether for BTC and then sell that BTC for money on another exchange.

So basically the contagion of tether is not limited to the exchange which originates it, but to all exchanges which trade BTC with it. Its all fine though, our cryptoexchanges are too big to fail and will be bailed out.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a coworker yelling at me to buy Ripple (XRP) immediately. Why should I/shouldn't I goons? I have extra to blow

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Jebediah posted:

I have a coworker yelling at me to buy Ripple (XRP) immediately. Why should I/shouldn't I goons? I have extra to blow

go to Vegas

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Eagles to win the Super Bowl is 7 to 1.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jebediah posted:

:lol:

Would you buy random rear end penny stock that is surely about to take off based on the rantings of a coworker?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lote posted:

Eagles to win the Super Bowl is 7 to 1.

bullshit i'm putting all my bitcoins on brady

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ghosTTy posted:

my coins are worrth what they were worth 2 weeks ago this is a disaster :wth:

Lol you tone deaf moron

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mozi posted:

bullshit i'm putting all my bitcoins on brady

Patriots to win is 1:1

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jebediah posted:

Blow your coworker for money

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

today was my most profitable day so far this year

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Gobbeldygook posted:

that's been the case for a while, but people with 50k have approached them and still been rejected. tether's are "backed" by dollars that you cannot redeem them for.

someone (divabot?) mentioned a while ago that what they're probably doing is just matching buyers and sellers rather than sending you their own money which they absolutely don't have. can't find the post though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol keep these coming. That site's blocked by my work.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

Did you short it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jebediah posted:

Lend him money to buy Ripple at exorbitant rates. It's a sure thing, right?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Why not invest your money in ETFs?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Why not invest your money in ETFs?

For the bitcoin investor, might I recommend $TNA? It's triple leveraged, ALL small cap stocks to really tap into that volatility. The recommended investment size is approximately 60% of your portfolio if choosing to opt out of bitcoin.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Alpha Mayo posted:

It is a U.S. dollar, except without the backing of the United States government and may not be used to purchase goods or services.

So you are telling me that I am better off with just one honey-roasted peanut if it's a choice between that and a $20 tether?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

KiteAuraan posted:

So you are telling me that I am better off with just one honey-roasted peanut if it's a choice between that and a $20 tether?

I guess that depends on how allergic you are to peanuts.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

this can't be real

So basically Tether are hedge funds in terms of redemption restrictions? Cool.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

Teach us sensi

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

If they were run by Chuck E. Cheese and Chuck E. Cheese was slowly running out of business

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Horseshoe theory posted:

No worse because in the terms of service it says they can decide not to give your money back period if they feel like it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lol shitcoins

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Yardbomb posted:

lol shitcoins

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010
Is bicoin easy to covert back to dollars? Like I know people are cashing out but I just always got the feeling these people were only making money on paper and not realizing much actual gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

the chief v2 posted:

Is bicoin easy to covert back to dollars? Like I know people are cashing out but I just always got the feeling these people were only making money on paper and not realizing much actual gain.

Seriously? 5 threads and this?